As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

And the Emmy goes to......

• Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why are people getting so worked up over this Emmy business? Remember when Kutaragi won the Nobel Peace Prize for the PS3's cancer research?

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Kutaragi won the Nobel Peace Prize for the PS3's cancer research?
    that didn't actually happen did it?

did it?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Why are people getting so worked up over this Emmy business? Remember when Kutaragi won the Nobel Peace Prize for the PS3's cancer research?

you're making that up right?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After Krazy Ken won the Nobel, Kaz Hirai was elected to the Senate and swore in on a PS3.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And then the world blew up.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember watching the E3 conferences two years ago. The 360 hadn't launched yet, and MS's conference came off to me like a seminar preaching how they were going to change everything you thought about playing games forever, and then proceeded to NOT show you any games. The Sony conference I was much more impressed by, since they seemed to be pimping out trailer after trailer after trailer (pre-rendered or not, still impressive-looking), which had people talking a LOT more positively about the PS3 as opposed to the 360 (launching early, no strong lineup to show off, Dreamcast 2 anyone?). I remember thinking Nintendo was "done" in the console business, since all they talked about was the DS, and showed off a mockup of the Wii, and proclaimed they "weren't in it to compete".

Now, I am not a fanboy or loyalist in the least; I eventually own just about every system that comes out, as soon as I can afford to, since to me it has always been about the games. I'm not going to deny myself a great experience playing a game because it didn't come out for the console of my choice. But man, oh man, how things have changed in just 2 years. I have been proven wrong on just about every count - 360 is alive and very much kicking, as is Nintendo, with an incredible year for the DS and a surprisingly positive reaction to the Wii, and Sony not doing so strongly (I'm trying to be nice).

My apologies for going off-topic, just thought it was an appropriate time to share my thoughts. My point is that it's amazing how time can change anyone's perception of things. Resume discussion. :wink:

EDIT : Should have clarified I currently own all three last-gen consoles, and that contrary to how I felt about things two years ago, I now plan to buy a 360 and/or Wii significantly earlier than I buy a PS3.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I'm going to go put my head in an oven, where hopefully things will make more sense.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Torso Boy wrote:
    This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I'm going to go out my head in an oven, where hopefully things will make more sense.
    0PBF38032BC-Suicide_Train.jpg
    It just reminded me so.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/oops-sony-declares-sixaxis-emmy-emmys-say-uh-uh/

did anyone post this yet?

text:

We weren't sure why the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences decided to give Sony's evolutionary SIXAXIS controller a Technology and Engineering Emmy and, evidently, neither were they. After Sony blasted out a press release proudly proclaiming the honor -- and after the internet rubbed its collective eyes raw -- we've learned that Sony wasn't alone in receiving an honor from the Academy. The list of Emmy Award winners for "Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers" include Sony Computer Entertainment of America and ... Nintendo! Did Nintendo's innovative Wiimote share the honor with the motion-sensing SIXAXIS? Not quite ... Séamus at Hydrapinion did some legwork and discovered that, while Sony had won an Emmy for Technology and Engineering, it wasn't for the SIXAXIS. Instead, Christine Chin from NATAS confirmed that Sony's Dual Shock as well as Nintendo's D-Pad (NES pad?) won "for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks." Oops! You know what they say happens when you assume ...

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AardvarkRatnikAardvarkRatnik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Joystiq did as well:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/09/oops-sony-declares-sixaxis-emmy-emmys-say-uh-uh/

Ahh so sorry, but you may not...

AardvarkRatnik on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Threepio wrote:
    I've got to say, the hate-on for the PS3 really is impressive. I don't if the world needs more Care Bears, more weed, more Tollhouse cookies or what, but man, it's not like the PS3 raped and pillaged your village when you were young, killing your parents and sparing you in an ill-advised moment of mercy giving rise to the opportunity for you to grow up a slave, train as a warrior and take back your lands from it's evil obsidian clutches.

I mean, it didn't.... did it?

I don't... like to talk about it.

*sob*.

Please don't... don't go reopening old wounds.

mattclem on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/oops-sony-declares-sixaxis-emmy-emmys-say-uh-uh/

did anyone post this yet?

text:

We weren't sure why the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences decided to give Sony's evolutionary SIXAXIS controller a Technology and Engineering Emmy and, evidently, neither were they. After Sony blasted out a press release proudly proclaiming the honor -- and after the internet rubbed its collective eyes raw -- we've learned that Sony wasn't alone in receiving an honor from the Academy. The list of Emmy Award winners for "Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers" include Sony Computer Entertainment of America and ... Nintendo! Did Nintendo's innovative Wiimote share the honor with the motion-sensing SIXAXIS? Not quite ... Séamus at Hydrapinion did some legwork and discovered that, while Sony had won an Emmy for Technology and Engineering, it wasn't for the SIXAXIS. Instead, Christine Chin from NATAS confirmed that Sony's Dual Shock as well as Nintendo's D-Pad (NES pad?) won "for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks." Oops! You know what they say happens when you assume ...

Oh sony, you incorragable scamp.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I was going to make a new topic, but I figured it'd go better here.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Could someone ammend the title of the OP then? A lot of the forum population probably wont read this thread anymore, and given the massive mistake, I think it's necessary.

If at least so people won't keep blaming the Emmy's for something they didn't actually do.

Whose fuckup is this, anyway? Sony's? The sony rep who was interviewed by gamesindustry.biz? Or did gamesindustry.biz do a bit of assumption as well?

edit: it's sony's fuckup, they issued a press release. Whoops!

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know I'm late to the party... I just saw the news of Sony's fuckup on Slashdot.

*ahem*

Ahahahahahaha!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh you know someone is getting fired for this

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    Could someone ammend the title of the OP then? A lot of the forum population probably wont read this thread anymore, and given the massive mistake, I think it's necessary.

If at least so people won't keep blaming the Emmy's for something they didn't actually do.

Whose fuckup is this, anyway? Sony's? The sony rep who was interviewed by gamesindustry.biz? Or did gamesindustry.biz do a bit of assumption as well?

edit: it's sony's fuckup, they issued a press release. Whoops!
    Oh Sony, you never cease to amuse me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh you know someone is getting fired for this
    I'm surprised they have any PR and Marketing people left on staff, especially after the past year. Or, maybe, that's the problem in of itself.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "But we can't say this! It's for the dual sho-"

"JUST SEND THE DAMN FAX"

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    every week it's something new with Sony. What the hell is wrong with these guys?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cherrn wrote:
    "The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

What? Where?

Selling out to be eBayed apparently = Selling out period.
    EDIT: Well, financially yes, but what I mean is that they're bragging that people were demanding one to make money, and that if you wanna brag that there's been 1 million shipped PS3s, let's say about 500,000 were bought, and there are 300,000 PS3 owners.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Knowing that it's for Sony's Dualshock is definitely better than if it were for SIXAXIS. It may be basically a SNES-based controller with integrated rumble, but then again it's a solid design that works well. No problems with that.

At least Nintendo's getting an award too. That D-pad... things might be different had we continued with joysticks.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God forbid someone have a legitimate problem with a company. Not everyone has to like or tolerate a company or their practices.

I think by now we get the point. People dislike Sony. Can we have some new threads, please? I mean, hate having to border on attempted thread assasination, but as I come here to talk about my PS3 impressions, I'm forced to tiptoe around Wii threads (which I stay out of) to stay in my thread, where I flourish.

I also like the correlation to people with Wii friend codes and/or Zelda sigs who post here. Just saying.

If you don't like threads that cast Sony in a negative light, why do you post in them? Why do you even bother reading them?

Sony has a tendancy to try and force their consumers to do what they want, as opposed to Nintendo who seems to want to do whatever their consumers ask of them, as long as its profitable. That's why Nintendo seem to have more fans, and Sony often finds itself wondering why their lastest proprietary media format isn't flying off the shelves.

Evander on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I still don´t understand why Sony´s Dual Shock would win any awards. The only new features on it were the rumble and thumbsticks that were stolen from Nintendo. Can they give out development awards for something the company didn´t actually even develop?

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    I still don´t understand why Sony´s Dual Shock would win any awards. The only new features on it were the rumble and thumbsticks that were stolen from Nintendo. Can they give out development awards for something the company didn´t actually even develop?
    Nintendo most certainly did not give you two analogs.

I am all for ragging on Sony, but two analog sticks more or less fixed the nagging problems with many of the n64 titles in 3d: It gave the player control of the camera or "mouselook" in an analog.

Nintendo gave the analog stick to consoles, yes (something that has been rocked on the PC for years prior), but the dual analogs is something that has been on almost every console since it's arrival on the PS1, and did change the way we played games in a big way.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raggie wrote:

That logic seems totally broken to me. That's like saying no art deserves credit because none of the artists invented the camera, the brush, the pen or the microphone. It's not necessarily who made it, but who uses it best. I think the Dual Shock was the best controller of it's generation, and in the generation after that it was that fundamental design that Nintendo and, later, Microsoft would look at and then see what they could do with it.

EDIT: beat'd, more or less. Anyway, my understanding is that they gave credit to Nintendo for the d-pad anyway.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We are talking about an award for tech development, not art. I´d still say that inventing the thumbstick was a bigger innovation than taking the idea from someone else, and then put two of them on the same pad. Most games don´t even use two thumbsticks.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    Most games don´t even use two thumbsticks.

What games are you playing? I can only think of two or three games that I have from the PS2/XB/GCN generation that don't use the second thumbstick in any significant way. Yeah, most games only use the stick for camera control, but that's totally awesome.

You may not care about being able to adjust your viewing angle, but its a big deal to everyone else. Why do you think everyone thinks Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is so much better than regular MGS3? (Hint: It's the camera control.) Sure, games like Mario 64 let you adjust the cam without a second thumbstick, but it was nowhere near as precise or flexible and wasted 4 buttons that could have been used for gameplay.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    every week it's something new with Sony. What the hell is wrong with these guys?
    They're edgy!

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DeepQantas wrote:
    They're edgy!

They're getting us to talk about them. Maybe they've truly embraced the idea that no publicity is bad publicity.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    Raggie wrote:

That logic seems totally broken to me. That's like saying no art deserves credit because none of the artists invented the camera, the brush, the pen or the microphone. It's not necessarily who made it, but who uses it best. I think the Dual Shock was the best controller of it's generation, and in the generation after that it was that fundamental design that Nintendo and, later, Microsoft would look at and then see what they could do with it.

EDIT: beat'd, more or less. Anyway, my understanding is that they gave credit to Nintendo for the d-pad anyway.
    which is funny, since it's basically just a suped up SNES controller.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You'd think that someone at Sony would have figured out that they really, REALLY need to get their PR act together by now, but no.

Anyway, I can understand the Emmy for the dual shock. It may not have been new tech, but having two sticks really did help out a ton of games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Yes, the PlayStation controller is based on the SNES pad. Yes, thumbsticks and rumble had been done before. But Sony does deserve props for coming up with the concept of dual thumbsticks. It's had some awesome applications and has become an industry standard. Just because its cool to hate them these days doesn't mean we should ignore the one time they did something right.

I think Microsoft is the only company that has never added anything innovative to the standard console controller.

Dirty on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dirty wrote:

Yes, the PlayStation controller is based on the SNES pad. Yes, thumbsticks and rumble had been done before. But Sony does deserve props for coming up with the concept of dual thumbsticks. It's had some awesome applications and has become an industry standard. Just because its cool to hate them these days doesn't mean we should ignore the one time they did something right.

I think Microsoft is the only company that has never added anything innovative to the standard console controller.

Um.. that home button or whatever seems to be a good idea...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft invented requirement for giant monkey hands

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

Well, I don't have a 360, but I do have a Wii, and yes, the home button is nice. But I don't really see it as a controller feature as I do a console feature. Its basically just another button. Its nothing that really has an impact on gameplay.

Dirty on
  • Options
    HepecarneHepecarne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Athenor wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

Well, I don't have a 360, but I do have a Wii, and yes, the home button is nice. But I don't really see it as a controller feature as I do a console feature. Its basically just another button. Its nothing that really has an impact on gameplay.

Aside from the home button, the 360 controller was the first packed in wireless controller, the first controller to be compatible with computers without modifications, and the first controller with shoulder and trigger buttons. Nothing revolutionary, but nice innovations.

Oh and the original Xbox controller had the break away cord.

Hepecarne on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    While I think its great that wireless controllers are becoming standard, and I thought the breakaway feature on the original Box was an awesome "how come nobody thought of this sooner?" feature, I was specifically talking about controller features that enhance the way you interact with the game.

Dirty on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    While I think its great that wireless controllers are becoming standard, and I thought the breakaway feature on the original Box was an awesome "how come nobody thought of this sooner?" feature, I was specifically talking about controller features that enhance the way you interact with the game.

Built-in headset support?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    While I agree that headset support can (and does) enhance gameplay, the fact that its built into the controller doesn't. I feel the same way about wireless controllers. I have at least one wireless controller for each of my systems because they're so convenient, but they doesn't enhance the game in any way.

Dirty on