As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Concealing makeup (for a guy)

T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For basically my entire life I've had very noticable dark spots under my eyes. I have quite pale skin, coupled with the fact that I had 2 surgeries on the muscles of my eyes when I was very young and another at 17. A frequent thing said to me would be "wow you look tired" even if I wasn't.

Here's a pic (sorry for being a shitty webcam one):
152529.jpg
Of course under different lighting it will look worse than that, and sometimes a bit better in the sunlight or good indoor (non-fluorescent) lighting.

Anyway, I'd like to deal with this somehow, and I'm thinking I'll have to use some sort of concealing makeup. Hopefully something as simple as possible, which would have an effect on how often I'd go to the trouble to put it on. Another factor is that I don't want it to look like I have makeup on as much as possible, so I'd have to blend it somehow with my natural skin tone. Is this possible? Any tips? I realize at some point I'd actually have to go to a cosmetics counter for help, but it would be good to be informed so I don't buy what I don't need.

T-bolt on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do you know anybody who uses makeup* IRL? They'd probably be able to help you out better than we can.

*PC code for "girls."

admanb on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Matching a concealer to your skin tone is important. I would go into a decent makeup shop like Rusk or Zaphora and ask for help. Don't buy the garbage your local CVS carries. Most of it is trash for your skin and won't blend right. However, do buy a pack of makeup wedges from CVS. You'll need those (well, you might be able to use your fingers well enough).
    Also get used to washing your face every night. Its best to get the makeup off and clean those pores.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MaLibuMaLibu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you wanting just light coverage or like full on plastic finish? Do you have oily, dry, or combo skin?

MaLibu on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, go to a makeup counter in a department store and ask the girls there.

Esh on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You should expect to spend more than you think. Makeup sounds like it should be cheap for how little you get.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So for under eye you don't have to use a foundation style concealer, they make a concealer specifically for baggy eyes. If you can hit a store like Sephora they'll have plenty of options and staff who can help. The best thing to do is try a couple out to see which looks the most natural to you.

I also suggest getting a good eye cream, I use this one by Lush: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/visage/hydratants/creme-enchantee-pour-les-yeux

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Do you know anybody who uses makeup* IRL? They'd probably be able to help you out better than we can.

*PC code for "girls."
    My mom doesn't usually wear makeup so she wasn't any help, and I don't really have any close female friends I'd be comfortable calling up and asking (especially with similar skin tone).
    MaLibu wrote: »
    Are you wanting just light coverage or like full on plastic finish? Do you have oily, dry, or combo skin?
    Light coverage. Doesn't need to be perfect, just less noticable dark spot. About my skin, I'd say oily as I still have moderate acne issues at 31.
    You should expect to spend more than you think. Makeup sounds like it should be cheap for how little you get.
    Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be cheap, especially if it works well and still looks fairly natural.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have very fair skin and as for a regular concealer/powder combo I use Sephora cooling concealer stick and the matifying compact foundation in cool porcelain.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just remembered, go to the Clinique counter near you. I know they're in Nordstroms (not sure where you are), but they have a men's line there so you don't have to feel weird about talking to the girls at the counter. Tell them that you want to reduce/cover up the dark circles and they can help you.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm Canadian.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like Sears has Clinique counters in Canada.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    Acebgd12Acebgd12 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This Clinique cream works really well to actually improve the health of the skin. I would rather spend a larger amount on the cream to heal the skin than on the stuff to conceal it. "My girlfriend" uses Revlon age-defying concealer and it works well. It blends easily and isn't obvious.

Acebgd12 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Another recommendation for Clinique from "the girlfriend". I use the mens' stuff, and have possibly used some powder and/or eye cream at some point.

Though you really have to find out what works for you - you might get red splotches from Clinque and be fine with some drugstore brand.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Acebgd12 wrote: »
    I would rather spend a larger amount on the cream to heal the skin than on the stuff to conceal it. "My girlfriend" uses Revlon age-defying concealer and it works well. It blends easily and isn't obvious.
    I don't believe there's any problem with the skin itself other than it's opacity (not concealing what's underneath) though. I'm not looking to keep my skin looking "young" as I've had these dark areas since I was a child.

I'll take a look at the Sephora and Clinique stuff.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Definitely stop by Sephora. This stuff is expensive but works like a charm. If you're looking for makeup as a concealer, then you definitely need to head into a store where they will give you great application tips as well as help you match your skin-tone.

As an under-eye concealer I currently use this, what I like about it is that it's very smooth and easy to apply and somehow it makes it look like I am not wearing anything at all. The only downside is that if it gets wet, or I cry, it disappears pretty quick.

Popular home remedies include drinking more water and getting more sleep. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but there ya go. Also getting a tan will make the contrast appear less marked, though that may not be an option for you mid-winter unless you want to use a tanning bed.

oh p.s. helpful hints here

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Popular home remedies include drinking more water and getting more sleep. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but there ya go. Also getting a tan will make the contrast appear less marked, though that may not be an option for you mid-winter unless you want to use a tanning bed.
    Tanning isn't an option for me, unless it was the spray-on kind. My skin just doesn't really tan. I'll take a look at the under-eye concealer you linked though, might be what I"m looking for.

Edit: thank for the video link!

T-bolt on