As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuff to do in Toronto (with a lady friend)?

LurkLurk Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I originally intended to go UofT in the fall as a full-time student but fate had it so that I could only start as a winter part-time student. Suffice to say, I didn't have a lot of time to explore Toronto and find interesting places to frequent with people.

Now, I need to entertain a lady friend on a Friday evening and I have no idea where to go.

What are some fun places in Toronto that are cheap? I know about the obvious places like the ROM and AGO (which I want to go for the King Tut thing..)

Halp!

415429-1.png?1281464977
Lurk on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't live in Toronto, but fun things that are generally accessible anywhere in the world for friday evening dates, that are a bit different than the norm, can be things like ice skating or bowling. both of those are fun dates.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is this happening soon? Panorama is a fancy bar/restaurant on the 58th (ish) floor of the Manulife Center, has a stunning view of the city, but I've only been in the summer when the balcony is open. It would still be nice in the winter but not quite the same.

The Richtree restaurant on Yonge just north of Front is a fun change from most restaurants, and has good food.

But if its not too cold I'd really just recommend walking along Queen West or Bloor and finding cool stores to spend time in. Maybe walk through Trinity-Bellwoods park.

Another option would be taking the ferry to the Toronto Islands, but that's also weather dependent.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is happening specifically this Friday and around 5 to 6pm.

I can't ice skate (still, grrr) and bowling is generally really expensive if it's just two people.

Crawling through Queen could be neat and how much is it for a meal in Richtree?

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like this is happening in the winter, so I wouldn't recommend the Islands.

If you're going for a classy date, I recommend wandering over to Cabbagetown and eating at the Pear Tree restaurant. Cabbagetown is charming and the Pear Tree's food is superb.

Winterlicious is coming up too, where tons of restaurants have price fixe menus. Make reservations as far in advance as possible.

I'm an old fogie, so I can't help much with the bar and club scene, if that's your thing. Toronto.com has a decent listing of events, though. The Eye Weekly lists more of the club/indie-type events if you don't mind that they can be more than slightly pretentious.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    not being able to ice skate is a good thing. it gives you reasons to grab onto her to steady yourself.

its even more fun if neither of you can skate.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Skating at Nathan Phillips Square would be my recommendation. It doesn't matter if you don't know how to skate.

Or like someone else said you could just take a walk through some of the more "hip" neighbourhoods like Kensington Market or Queen Street West and check out some stores or something. Distillery district might be cool if she's into that kind of stuff? I don't really know much about that area though.

Are you only going to spend 1 hour with her, cause then there isn't really that much you can do in so short a time.

Also, cool I go to UofT too. What are you studying?

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I meant that we will be starting at around 5 to 6 pm, I think we will be out and about for several hours.

I am currently first year in Computer Science 108H winter session, and that's pretty much it. I am work full time in the afternoon and in the morning go to class.

I should have taken a harder Computer Science course since I am overqualified for this one... : \

Current plan seems to be:
    1) Meet up at UofT
    2) Go to Queen Street West, explore Stores
    3) Take the PATH to Union and walk to Front street
    4) Have dinner at Rich Tree

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    clearsimpleplainclearsimpleplain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Horseshoe Tavern is of great fame. Japandroids are playing in April. Sorry this doesn't help you for Friday though.

clearsimpleplain on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're looking for budget-but-nice restaurants, I can reccomend a place called Nirvana. Been there many a time with my lady friend, it's has a great atmosphere and a wide variety of cuisines. And, as with most places around College and University, it's pretty cheap.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The ROM is not cheap, just a heads up. You could go to Honest Ed's and laugh at how horrible it is. There is a restaurant on Church Street called Hot House Cafe that has awesome desserts and pretty good everything else (though don't get the eggplant dip. It tastes of cigarettes).

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Last minute tickets to the TSO and the like are often available and cheap. Like under 20 bucks. If you're in the gallery not being super dressy won't even garner terrible looks.

Edit: Oh.... www.toronto.com usually has a pile of thing listed too.

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The ROM is not cheap, just a heads up.

Actually I think Fridays are half price at the ROM ($11 AFAIK)

But if you're trying to stay within a budget, Richtree isn't all that economical.

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you like beer, the Steamwhistle brwery has a fantastic tour. Bout an hour long, some free beer involved, and you can buy a cbombo ticket that lets you walk out with a 6/12 pack :P.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tinyfist wrote: »
    The ROM is not cheap, just a heads up.

Actually I think Fridays are half price at the ROM ($11 AFAIK)

But if you're trying to stay within a budget, Richtree isn't all that economical.

You're correct about the $11 Fridays. 4:30-9:30.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg