As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my hard drive dead?

Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
Okay, so basically, yesterday I somehow got a Trojan ("Internet Security 2010") on my Lenovo Thinkpad. I immediately rebooted and went into safe mode so it couldn't connect to the internet and I could figure out what was going on.

After a while in safe mode, I then rebooted again. This time, however, it Blue Screen of Deathed me as Windows was starting, when going into all modes (real and safe).

I used a WinXP recovery disk to get to a recovery console and ran chkdsk and it fixed the problem. But now I'm obviously worried that since that fixed the problem, my harddisk is inevitably toast. Is that true?

It's slightly possible that Lenovo's anti-shake software wasn't running in Safe Mode and I jostled the computer, doing damage to the hard drive.

Basically, the question is - if chkdsk fixes an issue with a computer, does it mean the HD is bad?

smugduckling,pc,days.png
Smug Duckling on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you hearing any clicking or whirring noises from the HDD?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No - it sounds pretty normal.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it. It was probably writing something to the disk when it blue screened and that corrupted data needed to be fixed via chkdsk. If you are actually worried about your hard drive then hop into CMOS, determine the manufacturer, find their diagnostics online, and run them. If it find an error the test will normally kick back a diagnostic code to give for an RMA.

travathian on