As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Martial's [chat]

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    [chat] is generally sad tonight.. :(

And it seems like I won't be going to bed anytime soon... more time to pack I suppose

msmya on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    I m sorry to people who were dumped.

I shall probably be dumped in the near future.

Don't say that _J_ you having a female companion has been a wonderful thing for these boards. And you I bet as well.

...that is a thinly veiled insult, isn't it?

Maybe, or just trying to get you from thinking negatively using a strange unknown form of psychology.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    pods what do you think of pynchon

From what I've read, I love him. The way he deals with paranoia in The Crying of Lot 49 totally blew my mind, and Gravity's Rainbow is, without a doubt, one of the best novels of the century. He really opened up my mind for what contemporary fiction is: moreso than narrative, fiction's role is to create a world of information. Whether that information is true is not as important as whether or not it is coherent. Whereas modernism loved fragmentation, postmodernism LOVES coherence -- it just doesn't have to correspond with reality.

i tried reading 49 and I couldn't do it. i found every scene painful. his bizarre ideas and characters were pleasant but the i found the prose itself just really jarring and unreadable. i physically do not want to read the book, and i feel bad about it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Podly I think I learned more about post modernism in this 20 page "key terms" paper my teacher printed up for one of my classes this semester than I did in my entire critical theories class.

I am so excited for my classes this semester!

Who are you reading?

Please say Foucault, he's the only post-modernist I really liked.

Do you not like DFW? I think that he is second to only Joyce in terms of literary masterpiece.

I actually have not read any Wallace yet, sorry to say.

I plan to start on Infinite Jest when I get my kindle fixed, though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Interstice is such a good word, but I didn't know that it was a technical term.

And the cynical side of me doubts that they are using it as anything other than a buzzword.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Who are you reading?

Please say Foucault, he's the only post-modernist I really liked.

Well the class actually isn't a post modernist class I don't believe but the fact that it covered it better than my critical theory class when it isn't even the focus is what impressed me. It's a weird class, it's focusing on slipstream sciencefiction, new wave fabulism and interstitial fiction.

The reading list is:
    Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing, Eds. Delia Sherman and Theodora Goss
    Blow-Up: And Other Stories, by Julio Cortazar
    Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino
    Labyrinths: Selected Stories & Other Stories (selections), by Jorge Luis Borges
    The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (selections), by Franz Kafka
    Interfictions 2: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing, Eds. Delia Sherman and Christopher Barzak

That said I do have Foucault's Discipline and Punish I just haven't got around to reading it yet.

there is some good shit in there dude

Senjutsu on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need some video editing software now.

gotta make this happen.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok seriously, why does OpenSSH refuse to implement the HPN patches? OpenSSH is limited to like 3mb/s tops on gigabit LAN connections with multi-core processors.

Why why why would they not add a feature like this? More importantly, why why why do they not at least implement the "None" cipher, seeing as how SSH is the standard unix way of doing things but 99% of the time you don't necessarily give a crap if anyone intercepts your data, just if they intercept your login details.

electricitylikesme on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    msmya wrote: »

And it seems like I won't be going to bed anytime soon... more time to pack I suppose

I think this calls for a suicide pact!

_J_ on
    edited January 2010
    those books sound cool, if only because I don't know a lot of those words.

Variable on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    there is some good shit in there dude

From talking to people I'm really excited about the Borges, the rest I don't know what to expect, really.

Inquisitor on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »

gotta make this happen.

Let me know if you find something fairly cheap/freeware that is good.

So It Goes on
    edited January 2010
    The only author I recognized was Kafka and I am not the biggest fan. But it could be a really good class.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok seriously, why does OpenSSH refuse to implement the HPN patches? OpenSSH is limited to like 3mb/s tops on gigabit LAN connections with multi-core processors.

Why why why would they not add a feature like this? More importantly, why why why do they not at least implement the "None" cipher, seeing as how SSH is the standard unix way of doing things but 99% of the time you don't necessarily give a crap if anyone intercepts your data, just if they intercept your login details.

Why don't they?

Because Theo de Raadt is a Silly Goose and so are most of the rest of his inner circle

Senjutsu on
    edited January 2010
    Kafka is one of the greatest authors in human history

Evil Multifarious on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    those books sound cool, if only because I don't know a lot of those words.

I've been reading about the Golgi apparatus.

Quid on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Chat goes through cycles. I could post dozens of love songs if that would help.

Thomamelas on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pods what do you think of pynchon

From what I've read, I love him. The way he deals with paranoia in The Crying of Lot 49 totally blew my mind, and Gravity's Rainbow is, without a doubt, one of the best novels of the century. He really opened up my mind for what contemporary fiction is: moreso than narrative, fiction's role is to create a world of information. Whether that information is true is not as important as whether or not it is coherent. Whereas modernism loved fragmentation, postmodernism LOVES coherence -- it just doesn't have to correspond with reality.

i tried reading 49 and I couldn't do it. i found every scene painful. his bizarre ideas and characters were pleasant but the i found the prose itself just really jarring and unreadable. i physically do not want to read the book, and i feel bad about it.

Any specific examples?

Also, reading IJ on a kindle seems downright wrong.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    i hate dropping classes as a rule and this would leave me with a 12-credit semester

but i don't even need this one to graduate and i can't seem to get interested in it

Rust on
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

gotta make this happen.

Let me know if you find something fairly cheap/freeware that is good.

this is unlikely but will do.

more likely I'll ... find something else. IF YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT IT IS THAT I AM SAYING

Variable on
    edited January 2010
    The only work I read by Kafka is the Metamorphosis but I read it many years ago so I imagine it will be a very different experience reading it now.

EM: I think the rules link in the diplomacy thread is broken.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Chat goes through cycles. I could post dozen's of love songs if that would help.

Well since we are on the depressed doesn't that mean we have to post like Linkin Park?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Chat goes through cycles. I could post dozen's of love songs if that would help.

Well since we are on the depressed doesn't that mean we have to post like Linkin Park?

Don't do it.

Silas Brown on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I think I am going to be terrible if I ever have to visit someone I know who is in the hospital dieing.

Can you do degu research on the interwebs to find out what's wrong with it?

Can you try different foods to see if it will eat?

Or maybe just cuddle it?

:(

We took it to the vet yesterday (going to cost me 185 bucks intotal) and got it some cream, antibiotics and the food that you mix with water and that syringe where you can stick it in her mouth and kinda force feed her.

She just kinda lays around and doesnt do much, like she has no strength, hopefully she just needs a lot of rest so the antibiotics can fight off the infection, if that is what she even has.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited January 2010
    The only work I read by Kafka is the Metamorphosis but I read it many years ago so I imagine it will be a very different experience reading it now.

the diplom.org site is just down for some reason

google "diplomacy rules" and you should find other results.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2010
    Also I was getting myself really psyched up to take a creative writing class (because the concept of taking such a class is intimidating to me) and now it turns out I don't have one but I still kinda want to do some creative writing.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2010
    haha, I like Linkin Park, haven't listened to them in awhile though..

Lady GaGa is where it's at

msmya on
    edited January 2010

Yes.

The Trial is the only book I've read where as soon as I finished it, I started reading it again without another book in between.

Raiden333 on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

We're not trying to drive people to suicide.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2010

the diplom.org site is just down for some reason

google "diplomacy rules" and you should find other results.

Thanks man.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2010
    Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Yes.

The Trial is the only book I've read where as soon as I finished it, I started reading it again without another book in between.

the best part is he told a friend of his to burn everything he ever wrote after he died

guy stuck his guns, that's for sure

Rust on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I called my insurance provider today to ask them when my insurance rates would go down due to me being 25.

It turns out that they won't go down until march when I have to renew. :x

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited January 2010

:^:

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2010
    Also I was getting myself really psyched up to take a creative writing class (because the concept of taking such a class is intimidating to me) and now it turns out I don't have one but I still kinda want to do some creative writing.

I love creative writing classes.

Variable on
    edited January 2010

The last time I took a creative writing class was senior year in high school - highly recommend it. Maybe even try writing some on your own if you can't get into a class for it.

Over here listening to Flo Rida

msmya on
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »

Yes.

the best part is he told a friend of his to burn everything he ever wrote after he died

guy stuck his guns, that's for sure

Kind of funny... I got into Kafka in about 8th-9th grade... And whenever I was reading his stuff, I always imagined ghost-Kafka shaking his fist at me, pissed off that I'm reading his stuff.

Raiden333 on
    edited January 2010
    I have never taken an actual creative writing class. I think it is part of the reason my writing is so dry now after years of writing history papers.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Take one, it will make you feel better about yourself probably.

So It Goes on
    edited January 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvkyHCU7XU

It's hard to listen to Great Big Sea and be sad at the same time.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.