As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Merck Job Assessment Testing

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am in the process of applying for a position at Merck, and as a part of their screening process I need to take an "assessment test" to determine... I dont know what. This is supposed to be a 4 hour standardized test, and I have completely no idea what is supposed to be covered on it. Internet snooping gave me no info, so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the process, and can tell me what to expect.

muninn on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I have a friend who recently went for an R&D position with DuPont. I'm not sure if the processes are similar, but I can tell you that he he had to go in for an 4-hour interview, two hours of which were spent answering questions asked by various interviewers, one was spent on a written test, and one spent watching a safety video.

He said that the vast majority of the questions seemed to relate to his personality/work habits, and not a single one to the job he would actually be performing.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yup.

Big corporations will do a lot of generic probing just to make sure you are a human being. It will probably be a test that regards work habits, ethics, security, and so on.

Basically, its the corporation version of retail's "do you know anyone who has smoked pot", or "have you ever stolen anything in your life".

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It could also be a general problem solving test. My last company had one of those developed by Price Waterhouse as a means to check basic math/analytical skills. When I got on board, I saw that it was used primarily to weed out the dumbshits that could talk a good game.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks everybody. I am thinking that since there was a mention of having calculator available on the site of testing, I presume analytical portion will be present. What type of math is usually present? Do I have to dust of my geometry and calculus books, or is this stuff pretty straightforward?

Either way thanks for putting my mind at ease.

muninn on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It could be to test basic knowledge of the job you would hope to do. Say, basic chemistry for a chem position. It really depends on the job you applied for. My boss once had a test where he was asked how he would set up a basic mobile laboratory, what equipment he would need and the people he would hire.. but he had a Master's degree and was going for a big job where he would be setting up labs like that.
    It could be just a basic personality test, but it may not hurt to brush up on what the job basics are.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    gracie56gracie56 Registered User new member
    I just took the test and it was hard a lot of mechanical stuff gave me a picture of a bolt and asked what kind it was.
    Lots of mechanical terms. Majority was math word problems.

This discussion has been closed.