As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: This is the OLD thread. Go to the new thread!

1565758596062»

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GOD DAMNIT

I complete knoxx, loot about 132321312 chests at the end picking only shotguns. I get a sidegrade... TO A LEVEL 36 REQUIRED WEAPON (this sidegrade is an atlas pearl shotgun), and every other shotgun has "holy crap, it shoots rockets", making it worthless.

GAME WHY DO YOU HATE SHOTGUNSSSSSSS :(

EDIT: Woops, that sidegrade isn't even a sidegrade. It's a http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Atlas_Hydra

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sur if you were 360 I have like 6 none side grades for that shotty. But alas.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have you ever found an x4 elemental shotty?

edit: I r lilith, so my hope was to find x4 elemental 2 shot magazine shotguns with +30% accuracy and 12 pellets. So far I've found nothing other than x1 or x2 shotguns, all of them without exception terrible.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have an explosive thats up there similar. Elementals are generally lower dam then say a regular of which I have several none elemental with high damage numbers and 60+ accuracy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have an explosive thats up there similar. Elementals are generally lower dam then say a regular of which I have several none elemental with high damage numbers and 60+ accuracy.

I just found an x3 corrosive crux which is extremely handy. Relatively low damage (150x9), but very accurate and hey - I can use a plaguebearer mod so it ravages the lance. Guess i'll just have to play a long time for those x4s :<

EDIT: my real problem has been that lance troopers don't use shotguns. I find craploads of smgs and combat rifles, but the only time I find shotguns is on midget shotgunners or in boxes, which seriously hurts my find rate.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would this be the wrong time to say that all my Cruxes have been x4?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Would this be the wrong time to say that all my Cruxes have been x4?

UR FAES

I PUNCH IT

metaphorically, of course.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you were on XBL, I'd dupe my two lvl 58 x4 Corrosive shotguns (the Crux has an accuracy around 58%, another with a scope is at 77.1).

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just found another crux, this time explodey. Hurrah. And cease your x box live taunting, I'll make do with gamespy... oh wait it doesn't work behind BT routers nvm

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's with the shotty love
    SMGs are where it's at.
    Double Annarchy + Mercenary mod

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For me, SMGs begin and end at Maliwan Hellfires.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Done SMGs, they're pretty ridiculous. Shotguns, on the other hand, are pretty bad unless you're lilith.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PFFT you must be joking

shotgun rolands outdo nearly everyone in DPS

back when i was playing moxxie, i'd be the top of the list in kills playing with 3 liliths

because errytime i shot something once

it died

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Done SMGs, they're pretty ridiculous. Shotguns, on the other hand, are pretty bad unless you're lilith.

Brick with master blaster/shotguns is pretty crazy.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hey guys. I'm thinking of getting this game but was wondering which system I should get it on, xbox or pc. I heard the pc version has bad netcode, but from the op it seems that the xbox community is less active. help would be greatly appreciated.

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    hey guys. I'm thinking of getting this game but was wondering which system I should get it on, xbox or pc. I heard the pc version has bad netcode, but from the op it seems that the xbox community is less active. help would be greatly appreciated.

Netcode for PC has been fixed. No more port forwarding.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't really had any problem with the PC version. Since they patched it works fine. The only issue is it uses peer to peer so it depends on the hosts connection if there will be lag. That problem would exist on consoles too.

I just host my own games and don't usually get much lag. Gamespy is actually pretty OK, it would be nice if the voice had push to talk, but it does come in pretty clear usually.

Does anyone have a character around level 10 they want to level with my Siren in co-op?

Drool on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Roland maybe good with shotties
    but They suck on a siren

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Got it for steam! Can someone send me an invite to the group (jimbo034).

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Need to add to the OP: You buy this game on the platform that all of your friends have.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    but They suck on a siren

Have you never used a Maliwan Crux as Lilith? Add a Plaguebearer Mod and she can wreck Crimson Lance.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drool wrote: »
    I haven't really had any problem with the PC version. Since they patched it works fine. The only issue is it uses peer to peer so it depends on the hosts connection if there will be lag. That problem would exist on consoles too.

I just host my own games and don't usually get much lag. Gamespy is actually pretty OK, it would be nice if the voice had push to talk, but it does come in pretty clear usually.

Does anyone have a character around level 10 they want to level with my Siren in co-op?

Edit: Scratch that. I'm holding off on the pc version until I get a better cpu cooler.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I've got a 10-ish Roland and a 15-ish Mordecai; I'll be on tonight for another few hours, and then Tuesday-Friday evenings.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »

I've got a 10-ish Roland and a 15-ish Mordecai; I'll be on tonight for another few hours, and then Tuesday-Friday evenings.

Add me to your Steam friends and we'll team up.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to repost about this, but who do I talk to to get into wangs without borders. My account is here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982379094

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys, I just got this game as a birthday present. It came without a manual. How do I save? With the post thing I use to change the colors of my outfit? Is there a way to heal without buying stuff?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys, I just got this game as a birthday present. It came without a manual. How do I save? With the post thing I use to change the colors of my outfit? Is there a way to heal without buying stuff?

It autosaves, and will save again when you exit.

You can get class mods, shields, and skills that will regenerate HP, depending on your class.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Saving is automatic, and occurs each time the odd-looking symbol pops up. You can heal with certain equipped shields, with Roland's turret, or with a few other skills. Also by killing enemies until they drop a health vial.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cool, thanks to you both. I'm playing as a Roland. I've played it for a little more than an hour. Really fun game.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Broheims, please. I meant that shotguns aren't very much fun unless you're the siren. I deeply dislike Roland's action skill.
    but They suck on a siren

In singleplayer, with the right build, they are actually extremely good (especially once you get elemental shotguns).

Lillith is the perfect close quarters combatant;

a) She can get to an enemy without letting them see her on the way in
    b) once she gets there, everybody is automatically dazed, burning/melting in agony and she's only taking 30% damage
    c) She runs at 180% movement speed to close the distance faster when not phase walking
    d) Phoenix (I'm using a class mod with -26% cooldown reduction, +3 phoenix +3 girl power +4 intuition)
    e) with the right build, you're only out of phase walking for a few seconds
    f) Girl power

It is incredibly fun, incredibly fast, and incredibly effective. Pack an 800-odd damage pestilent defiler 2-shot to kill the occasional distant rocketeer and you will never even lose half your shields.

EDIT: And yes, I've killed Craw and done the hardest quests with it. There is nothing it fails at. I have not even had a second wind since level 55-odd when I changed my build away from slayer etc - barring a zillion failed craw attempts :X

Double edit: Does anybody know if your melee damage is adjusted by weapon proficiency if you're using a +200% melee damage pistol, for example?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Came across my first Pestilent Lawman today. I was $800k short :(.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cool, thanks to you both. I'm playing as a Roland. I've played it for a little more than an hour. Really fun game.

Few bits of advice:

-Grab one of those marksmanship rifles if you can. They're the ones with a small clipsize and a scope that use combat rifle ammo. They're a really good general-purpose weapon when you find a good one. About the only place they don't hold up is super long range, or large groups.

-Experiment. Respecs aren't that expensive, especially later on, so feel free to mess around with skills that sound cool. Aid Station in particular is insanely helpful, particularly early on.

-An ammo regenerating class mod can be GODLY, especially at higher levels. I have a +8 one right now, and I haven't upgraded anything but my grenades since I got it. There's just no need.

-Compare weapons mainly against their own kind for your own sanity. It's a lot harder to judge how an SMG vs. a machinegun will stack up due to things like ROF, crit differences, etc. etc. etc., but it's pretty easy to compare two SMGs and figure out which will work better for you.

-In general, figure out your niches with guns. For me, I like high accuracy on my shotguns more than super high damage, so I can use them at a bit of a range, and thus I go for those. To contrast, when my SMGs are secondary guns, I often go for the amount of bullets I can get out of that thing at a reasonable power, to flood anything tough with a thousand cuts.

-Don't discount elemental guns due to their reduced power on the stats. In their specialty, each of the elements will get far better results than their stats imply.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -An ammo regenerating class mod can be GODLY, especially at higher levels. I have a +8 one right now, and I haven't upgraded anything but my grenades since I got it. There's just no need.

It's worth noting though that the game actually detects your ammo level when giving you ammo. If you are low on ammo and you find more than one ammo chest, open all the chests before looting them - you'll get 4-5 packs of ammo per chest if low enough.

You also get double sized clips on playthrough 2 so your mileage may vary.

Also if you find a sweet class mod with no ammo regen, you can use a weapon with high ammo regen to run around holding when not shooting.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »

Add me to your Steam friends and we'll team up.

Done!

Herkimer on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

Few bits of advice:

-Grab one of those marksmanship rifles if you can. They're the ones with a small clipsize and a scope that use combat rifle ammo. They're a really good general-purpose weapon when you find a good one. About the only place they don't hold up is super long range, or large groups.

-Experiment. Respecs aren't that expensive, especially later on, so feel free to mess around with skills that sound cool. Aid Station in particular is insanely helpful, particularly early on.

-Compare weapons mainly against their own kind for your own sanity. It's a lot harder to judge how an SMG vs. a machinegun will stack up due to things like ROF, crit differences, etc. etc. etc., but it's pretty easy to compare two SMGs and figure out which will work better for you.

-In general, figure out your niches with guns. For me, I like high accuracy on my shotguns more than super high damage, so I can use them at a bit of a range, and thus I go for those. To contrast, when my SMGs are secondary guns, I often go for the amount of bullets I can get out of that thing at a reasonable power, to flood anything tough with a thousand cuts.

-Don't discount elemental guns due to their reduced power on the stats. In their specialty, each of the elements will get far better results than their stats imply.

Also don't try to use ironsights on shotguns, they are pretty bad. Once you find scoped ones try it out and see if they are decent, on the less accurate ones it still make sense to just get in close. Higher accuracy shotguns (I think most of my really good ones are 70+) with scopes are pretty mean.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

That's easily the biggest piece of advice I'd give a newcomer. Initially they seem worse because of how much less the damage numbers are, but those elemental ticks really add up, and they make it a hundred times easier to get second winds.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I just whacked Bonehead, so I think I can get a vehicle now. I'm having a really good time with this game so far. I think I am almost to level 10 with Roland.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I just whacked Bonehead, so I think I can get a vehicle now. I'm having a really good time with this game so far. I think I am almost to level 10 with Roland.

If you're on xbox360 and you're looking for another player you can add me on. I've been diving back into the early game recently. I'm Strikerkc on 360 also.

And on that note. New Thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117493

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    JimmyNavioJimmyNavio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man I just picked this game up during the Steam sale and I'm having a ton of fun. Haven't been able to put it down. Just got to New Haven with my LVL 25 Rifleman Soldier.
    Trying to finish a playthrough of the main game so I can justify picking up some DLC.

Thanks to the OP and everyone else for all of your awesome tips & advice.

JimmyNavio on
    steam_sig.png