As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Military FPS that don't rhyme with Wall of Booty.

JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Due to recently getting laid off I am financially unable to jump on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 wagon. I just finished replaying the first Modern Warfare however, my need to shoot hostile mans in a somewhat tactical manner during gunfights of epic proportions is not yet sated.

Essentially, I need to find games that allow me to shoot more army mans.

Some flexible requirements:
  • Single player campaign is a must.
  • Multi is not, however it could be a plus.
  • "Epic" storyline is desired however, as long as the missions are more than linear go here shoot doods, move to next room, shoot doods, move on, shoot dood, end mission I will be happy.
  • Age is not really a big deal but I am looking for something with freedom to choose how to accomplish tasks, I hate bottlenecks that force you to go a certain way so a lot of older call of duty/medal of honor games are out.
I am currently downloading the ARMA II demo but I don't plan on buying it due to monetary constraints.

I do own quite a few Delta Force games and Operation Flashpoint so I may hop back into those.

Thanks guys, suggest away!

*UPDATE*
I am open to PC and XBOX 360 suggestions!

Games I Own
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Battlefield Bad Company, 1942, 1943 and Vietnam
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky
  • America's Army
  • Crysis
  • Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  • Most Delta Force games

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
JamesDM on

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Operation Flashpoint, and especially it's expansions are great for this. If you're looking for choice, pick up the Resistance expansion if you don't have it.

I hear ARMA and ARMA2 has a fantastic MP experience, so long as you're willing to let the game metaphorically crush your nuts for about a week until you get into the mindset of playing without getting shot, since the game uses a highly realistic damage model.

While not a "modern military FPS", S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl, and it's spinoff, Clear Sky, are great atmospheric shooters, that will alternate between "epic" moments, and moments that make you want to crap your pants.

Clear Sky would be the better of the two, however, as it focuses more on faction warfare within the zone. You can pick up the appropriate mods to turn it into a faction based tactical shooter, too.

Outside of that, i'm not sure there really is anything to recommend for the PC.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    America's Army is free, is full of army mans and turrurists to shoot, and may or may not be a total pile of dogshit. Worth a try, at least. I had a lot of fun with earlier iterations of the game, but I'm not sure if they've maintained any quality since then. The game had a really shaky launch and the dev team that transitioned AA2 to AA3 was shitcanned right out of the gate. Dunno if they've moved past that or not.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The first half of Crysis, before the aliens come.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rainbow Six? You're not shooting army mans, you're shooting terrorist mans... but still tactical and fun. I'm playing Raven Shield right now.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The first half of Crysis, before the aliens come.

Most of the parts with aliens aren't bad either, just very different. Crysis Warhead also has some great parts.

Peewi on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think you could probably find a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company for a good price these days. I've tried the demo and liked what I was trying out. If you can't find a game you like for an affordable price, then rent it.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would like to point out that all the "do not wants" in your list apply PERFECT to CoD4 and CoD4:2. They're almost straight corridor shooters with no choice at all.

So, as for suggestions, try all the Ghost Recon games. The latest ones are much more action-y but they're still good. I think everything is up on Steam.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think you could probably find a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company for a good price these days. I've tried the demo and liked what I was trying out. If you can't find a game you like for an affordable price, then rent it.

Seconding this. Can't go too wrong here.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A couple bits I should have mentioned previously:
    I own Crysis, BF: Bad Company, STALKER and Operation Flash Point.

Also, I did mention that I own Operation Flashpoint, that I had just finished player CoD4:MW and that I am not going to buy MW2, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming if you care to.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Have you tried the Brothers in Arms games? They do get a little bit grindy, but are still fun.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Have you tried the Brothers in Arms games? They do get a little bit grindy, but are still fun.

I would recommend these too; I almost did, but you said modern, so I didn't, but they're good.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rainbow Six Raven Shield is the duck's nuts, but be prepared to have the AI shoot you from 300m with an uzi through two windows, a hedgerow, a tree and a fence if you so much as put your finger around the corner.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not military, but I found SWAT 4 to be a refreshingly fun and different (and difficult) FPS. You've got a ton of different ways to approach each mission, command over your AI squad that, thankfully, isn't full of brainless fleshbags, and I can't remember if there was any kind of story at all running through the game but each mission's got a decent amount of background info on it.

I don't think I ever beat it because I'm not that good at FPS games and once the enemies started wearing body armour and wielding assault rifles it got kind of ridiculous, but I had fun with what I was able to play.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I would recommend these too; I almost did, but you said modern, so I didn't, but they're good.

Shoot, I forgot the modern part. I personally don't think it's worth $60, but there seems to be a fair few PA-ers interested in MAG, if you have a PS3

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, how are you going to acquire other games if you can't afford Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

My personal vote is for anything in the Rainbow Six series, even the much hated Vegas and Vegas 2 series. They all have great shoot-teh-manz gameplay.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't believe I forgot about SWAT and Rainbow Six. You all can keep suggesting and discussing if you want, I am going to go check out some prices!

--

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Wait, how are you going to acquire other games if you can't afford Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

My personal vote is for anything in the Rainbow Six series, even the much hated Vegas and Vegas 2 series. They all have great shoot-teh-manz gameplay.

Well I was banking on the assumption that not all games cost $60 and hoping to find some games within the $20 range.

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    SWAT and Rainbow 6 aren't even military; the Ghost Recon games are basically Rainbow 6 + military.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sell something in your house and get Bad Company 2, beta starts 28th ends late February with release in early march, you won't need another modern game for a while after that

Available for pre-order on steam for 49.99

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif