Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What the Hell Happened to Sony?

Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I liked my original title more. :)

Anyway I just wrote an enormous editorial on Sony for eToychest and thought it was something that might be worth linking to over here. For those that are afraid of verbal diarrhea, be warned that this is only the first half or so. It goes up to where Sony is now, looking at the PS2 and PSP. The more forward-looking part about the PS3 is still to come...

Chris FOM on
«1345

Posts

  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oops, my bad. :oops: I could sworn the big PS2 never supported 480p and it was only the PStwo version that did. Damn it. Obviously doesn't affect the article any, but I still hate getting facts like that incorrect.

    And Athenor, I hope you do keep reading. While very critical of Sony, that's because I've seen them screw up left and right since E3 2005, and I think they deserve the criticism. I tried very hard to give credit where it's due, and in the case of the PS1 and PS2 Sony deservers a hell of a lot. The first paragraph and most of the talk about the PS2 is saying everything Sony did right. But it seems clear to me that starting with the PSp and to an extent the PS3 Sony has made a ton of screw-ups that have really hurt them on a number of levels.

  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, this article is getting better, and a lot of facts backing up some of the more out there statements.

    But seriously, man. A little less vitriol in the beginning will save your mail filter a lot of time. ;-)

    Edit: It's cool, man. I rarely, if ever, will stop reading a well-written article.. and this is well written, I'll give it that.

    A paragraph of good stuff isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Perhaps wrap it in something like "what could've been," and show that Sony's heart was in the right place... I dunno. Admittedly, i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that hat goes off the second I start critiquing something. It's just my nature, and it's why I'm going to school to be a teacher. =)

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Im gonna wait a bit more till Sony's stock drops some more, and then Im gonna buy a ton because you just KNOW that sony will bounce back regardless of whatever dumb shit they do.

  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

    I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.

    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I never saw Microsoft as a "bad guy" anyway, they're just a company that got huge because people bought their stuff. Yeah, IE is kinda sucky, but they've never tried to pull off some major scale bullshit over on their consumers or as far as I know never were dicks.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Okay, this article is getting better, and a lot of facts backing up some of the more out there statements.

    But seriously, man. A little less vitriol in the beginning will save your mail filter a lot of time. ;-)

    Edit: It's cool, man. I rarely, if ever, will stop reading a well-written article.. and this is well written, I'll give it that.

    A paragraph of good stuff isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Perhaps wrap it in something like "what could've been," and show that Sony's heart was in the right place... I dunno. Admittedly, i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that hat goes off the second I start critiquing something. It's just my nature, and it's why I'm going to school to be a teacher. =)
    To be fair though, editorials aren't news pieces, and they don't need to be free of bias.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just givin some general editing advice here, dissociated from the actual content.

    "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games that stay around for months."

    This sentence is disjointed. "Not only" implies a secondary statement, but the sentence is not formatted to show the statement occured. The brain runs right over both going "huh, where's the statement, wait that made no sense."
    Lose the not only? I can't see where it's necessary.

    "And then there is the media format itself. But really, the less said about UMD the better."

    What is this for? Is it a professional report? I don't know what etoychest is. Anyway, this statement gives people ammunition, even if its bad ammunition, its still there, because you didn't explain anything. I don't think you should assume your reader knows what you are talking about.
    Also its a whole paragraph consisting of two lines and starting with an "and", it looks sloppy. :P Perhaps actually explain, it wouldn't take more than a line or two, or cut them out.
    To be honest, those two sentences smack of lazy arguing and look really bad, both in presentation and content. They seem out of place.

    Also you say the sales for the psp is dammning because the software and the hardware sales seem unrelated, but have no mention of the ds. I'm sure the ds has a much better relationship but perhaps add a line with the contrasting sales. Say, ff3? I'm sure that sold a lot of ds just by itself. I'm not saying your arguments are bad btw, it's just that that paragraph is a little island of psp sony woe with no nintendo comparison, so uninformed people might look at it and say "Well, what are the ds figures in comparison, maybe thats normal for a hand held?" then dismiss your article. :(

    These are just grammatical and general editing I feel would make your piece much stronger, I don't have much fault with it since it's obvious the casual tone is intentional. It's engaging and well written, those things just struck me as being odd man outs in the general jibe of the article.

    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

    I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.
    Then I have to wonder, why does the GBA still out sell it?

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

    I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.

    I dunno, I think using an optical drive (moving parts + battery drain + higher load times) combined with the fragility of the system and the high development costs are pretty damning by themselves. I was fooled like the rest of the world and bought one at launch. I held onto it until last December, until I finally sold it in disgust and grabbed a DS Lite.

  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just givin some general editing advice here, dissociated from the actual content.

    "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games that stay around for months."

    This sentence is disjointed. "Not only" implies a secondary statement, but the sentence is not formatted to show the statement occured. The brain runs right over both going "huh, where's the statement, wait that made no sense."
    Lose the not only? I can't see where it's necessary.

    "And then there is the media format itself. But really, the less said about UMD the better."

    What is this for? Is it a professional report? I don't know what etoychest is. Anyway, this statement gives people ammunition, even if its bad ammunition, its still there, because you didn't explain anything. I don't think you should assume your reader knows what you are talking about.
    Also its a whole paragraph consisting of two lines and starting with an "and", it looks sloppy. :P Perhaps actually explain, it wouldn't take more than a line or two, or cut them out.
    To be honest, those two sentences smack of lazy arguing and look really bad, both in presentation and content. They seem out of place.

    Also you say the sales for the psp is dammning because the software and the hardware sales seem unrelated, but have no mention of the ds. I'm sure the ds has a much better relationship but perhaps add a line with the contrasting sales. Say, ff3? I'm sure that sold a lot of ds just by itself. I'm not saying your arguments are bad btw, it's just that that paragraph is a little island of psp sony woe with no nintendo comparison, so uninformed people might look at it and say "Well, what are the ds figures in comparison, maybe thats normal for a hand held?" then dismiss your article. :(

    These are just grammatical and general editing I feel would make your piece much stronger, I don't have much fault with it since it's obvious the casual tone is intentional. It's engaging and well written, those things just struck me as being odd man outs in the general jibe of the article.

    I left out stuff on the DS sales because at that point I was finished contrasting the PSP with the DS and was sticking strictly to the PSP. I didn't want to keep cross-pollinating where I went back and forth between comparisons and individual discussions.

    As for the other two grammatical complaints, they're valid complaints, but not in the original editorial. Those were placed in by editors after I submitted the piece. I didn't get to proofread any changes after I turned it in, and those aren't the only changes that were made. The title was modified, a few new paragraph breaks were inserted, and other phrasings were changed as well.

    Anyway, the statement on DS software sales was supposed to read "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games but they stay for months (emphasis added)." IE PSP games rarely make the top 10 list, and when they do, they disappear almost immediately. DS games not only dominate that same list, but they stay in the top 10 forever, selling huge amounts week after week. The DS whips the PSP both on number of titles in the top 10 and longevity. That "but" that got eliminated makes the use of "not only" acceptable, but for some reason got removed after submission. For the UMD paragraph, it originally read "Of course, the less said about UMD, the better." It was intentionally a single sentence that was designed to slam UMD for the absolute joke it quickly became. UMD movie sales were an abject disaster on every level possible, studios cut releases, stores slashed displays, etc. Rather than spend a ton of time in an already long editorial arguing a point that was [relatively] obvious, I chose to instead save space and go for a simple dismissal because it's really, truly a situation where nothing more needs to be said. The market's total rejection of UMD movies makes my case for me, and there's just nothing I can add.

  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chris FOM wrote:
    Just givin some general editing advice here, dissociated from the actual content.

    "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games that stay around for months."

    This sentence is disjointed. "Not only" implies a secondary statement, but the sentence is not formatted to show the statement occured. The brain runs right over both going "huh, where's the statement, wait that made no sense."
    Lose the not only? I can't see where it's necessary.

    "And then there is the media format itself. But really, the less said about UMD the better."

    What is this for? Is it a professional report? I don't know what etoychest is. Anyway, this statement gives people ammunition, even if its bad ammunition, its still there, because you didn't explain anything. I don't think you should assume your reader knows what you are talking about.
    Also its a whole paragraph consisting of two lines and starting with an "and", it looks sloppy. :P Perhaps actually explain, it wouldn't take more than a line or two, or cut them out.
    To be honest, those two sentences smack of lazy arguing and look really bad, both in presentation and content. They seem out of place.

    Also you say the sales for the psp is dammning because the software and the hardware sales seem unrelated, but have no mention of the ds. I'm sure the ds has a much better relationship but perhaps add a line with the contrasting sales. Say, ff3? I'm sure that sold a lot of ds just by itself. I'm not saying your arguments are bad btw, it's just that that paragraph is a little island of psp sony woe with no nintendo comparison, so uninformed people might look at it and say "Well, what are the ds figures in comparison, maybe thats normal for a hand held?" then dismiss your article. :(

    These are just grammatical and general editing I feel would make your piece much stronger, I don't have much fault with it since it's obvious the casual tone is intentional. It's engaging and well written, those things just struck me as being odd man outs in the general jibe of the article.

    I left out stuff on the DS sales because at that point I was finished contrasting the PSP with the DS and was sticking strictly to the PSP. I didn't want to keep cross-pollinating where I went back and forth between comparisons and individual discussions.

    As for the other two grammatical complaints, they're valid complaints, but not in the original editorial. Those were placed in by editors after I submitted the piece. I didn't get to proofread any changes after I turned it in, and those aren't the only changes that were made. The title was modified, a few new paragraph breaks were inserted, and other phrasings were changed as well.

    Anyway, the statement on DS software sales was supposed to read "The DS is the exact opposite, where the top 10 is not only dominated by DS games but they stay for months (emphasis added)." IE PSP games rarely make the top 10 list, and when they do, they disappear. DS games not only dominate that same list, but they stay in the top 10 forever, selling huge amounts week after week. The DS whips the PSP both on number of titles in the top 10 and longevity. That "but" that got eliminated makes the use of "not only" acceptable, but for some reason got removed after submission. For the UMD paragraph, it originally read "Of course, the less said about UMD, the better." It was intentionally a single sentence that was designed to slam UMD for the absolute joke it quickly became. UMD movie sales were an abject disaster on every level possible, studios cut releases, stores slashed displays, etc. Rather than spend a ton of time in an already long editorial arguing a point that was [relatively] obvious, I chose to instead save space and go for a simple dismissal because it's really, truly a situation where nothing more needs to be said. The market's total rejection of UMD movies makes my case for me, and there's just nothing I can add.

    Man, your editors suck. :)
    I understand the UMD disaster. You understand it. I was just pointing out that others might not. Not everyone has the information you and I do, hell some people actually look to these kinds of editorials for information and really don't know anything else. Isn't that who you're writing for? If not, then yeah, its fine. I didn't mean to cause any offense, I've been helpin my gf do her reports all year so its natural to suggest basic stuff.
    Your editors really suck, sticking a grammatical error back in.

    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andorien wrote:
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

    I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.

    I dunno, I think using an optical drive (moving parts + battery drain + higher load times) combined with the fragility of the system and the high development costs are pretty damning by themselves. I was fooled like the rest of the world and bought one at launch. I held onto it until last December, until I finally sold it in disgust and grabbed a DS Lite.
    Well, I did make a specific mention of my statement not covering UMD (at least as far as a movie format). However, I wouldn't consider the other issues listed to be damning. Fragility may instantly seem like a flaw, but that's only if you look at it from the perspective of a "toy" (rather than an electronic device). As for high development costs, that was not enough to deter the early stream of support it recieved.

    Judging from the features included in the PSP, it was clear that Sony wanted to create a system with broader appeal than a normal handheld gaming device, and it could have worked.

    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User
    edited January 2007
    SONY SUX LOOL!!!

    Yea, we get it

    pasigfa7.jpg
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Narom wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    Narom wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    This isn't specifically a Sony-exclusive trend. Whenever a company starts dominating the industry, they get cocky.
    I'm of the opinion that companies don't actually ever "get cocky", but that's another discussion entirely.

    I have one point I'd like to address in the article--I disagree with the implied assumption that Sony somehow screwed up with the PSP, and that that is the explanation for its relatively poor performance. UMD aside, Sony really didn't do anything wrong with the PSP; if anything, their strategy would probably have been very successful against a standard handheld gaming device. However, Nintendo didn't release a standard handheld device. The PSP "failed" simply because Nintendo had a more successful strategy.

    I dunno, I think using an optical drive (moving parts + battery drain + higher load times) combined with the fragility of the system and the high development costs are pretty damning by themselves. I was fooled like the rest of the world and bought one at launch. I held onto it until last December, until I finally sold it in disgust and grabbed a DS Lite.
    Well, I did make a specific mention of my statement not covering UMD (at least as far as a movie format). However, I wouldn't consider the other issues listed to be damning. Fragility may instantly seem like a flaw, but that's only if you look at it from the perspective of a "toy" (rather than an electronic device). As for high development costs, that was not enough to deter the early stream of support it recieved.

    Judging from the features included in the PSP, it was clear that Sony wanted to create a system with broader appeal than a normal handheld gaming device, and it could have worked.

    I'd argue that the fragility IS damning. It really doesn't matter whether you look at it as a toy or as a serious piece of computing equipment. Since we're hardly perfect, to imagine that stuff isn't going to be occasionally dropped, mishandled, sat upon, or jammed into pockets containing god knows what seems rather short sighted. When making a portable device designed to leave the home, you should equip it to handle a minimum level of stress.

    I don't recall mentioning the UMD format, only the optical drive, which brings problems regardless of the format used, so I assume by UMD you originally meant the decision to use that type of media at all. If that's the case, it seems silly to just brush aside such a major issue and say "oh yeah, it would have been great otherwise." Well, of course. A hospital patient might be able to run a triathlon if it weren't for that whole "cancer and AIDS combined" nonsense.

    As for the ease of development, you're right, it didn't deter them at first. It wouldn't have been a problem if it stood alone (such as with the PS2). Since before the launch of the system its other problems weren't near as apparent and consumer apathy hadn't reared its ugly face yet, it simply wasn't much of an issue. But when the problems were made manifest, devs had to take a serious look at their income made on the PSP compared with the development costs. If people had actually been buying software to make up for it, things would have been fine. If it were the reverse (not so much software, but cheap to make), again, it wouldn't have been as much of a problem. But when things are shitty on both sides, it creates a situation where in order to remain profitable, the company must scale back development accordingly.

  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I almost teared up during the part of your epic story where Nintendo valiantly and against all odds smote the PSP, rendering it a dead system in one fell avalanche of software even though everyone had known that Nintendo was about to go bankrupt.

    Truly, you write moving fiction. Perhaps you should try to publish a full novel?

  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago, and then you downplayed analog buttons, whose underuse is a fault of developers, not Sony themselves. (An analogy would be blaming Nintendo for third party Wii games not taking advantage of the Wii Remote).

    And now you're talking about Nintendo dominating the handheld market like it's a surprise.

    And now you're talking with an authority you don't posess concerning a sequel to the PSP. Ok. And now you seem to have an intimate knowledge of how Sony would react in this hypothetical situation. Do you have insider information you aren't sharing?

    So, so far you've showed me that you can't be bothered to get your facts straight, check your grammar, or acknowledge that you have no clue how a gargantuan corporation... and that you have a shady understanding of the history of console/portable gaming.

    Bravo. I look forward to the next installment.

    Maybe if you had some semblance of neutrality your writing wouldn't sound like it was straight out of a Nintendo fanboy's GameFaqs post. You've got most of the information, you just don't seem to know what to do with it. You've got most of the ideas, but you're presenting them in a very one-sided manner.

  • KarfKarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    sig9.gif
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    MOER LIEK JESUS BUYS A WII M I RITE???

    Edit: Oh God what a terrible way to start a new page...

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What happened to Sony? They shifted their business from making video game consoles to making internet memes. They're doing a pretty damn good job too, in 2006 they were the industry leader.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    What happened to Sony? They shifted their business from making video game consoles to making internet memes. They're doing a pretty damn good job too, in 2006 they were the industry leader.
    olol, where will they be in 5 years time, playing ridge racer with giant enemy crabs, for massive damage?

    [spoiler:542461ffef]£599!!!!!!!!! Ridge Racer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:542461ffef]

  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I spent about an hour walking around Sony's booth at CES today. I'm no Sony fan, mind you, but a lot of the stuff they had out there was pretty impressive. In truth, the PSP and PS3 sections were some of the weakest in the booth (take with a grain of salt, as I'm not a huge fan of either).

    In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Ronen wrote:
    In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.
    Who told you about the PS4 splash screen?

  • KarfKarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony is still a good company, but some of their decisions for the game side of the business has just been weird recently. I have no doubts that the PS3 will gain momentum, though. It just won't be as big as the PS2 because of the price. Even if there were 20 A++ games out right now, it wouldn't move as many units because of the tag. Sales will go up tons when price is no longer a factor.

    sig9.gif
  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Ronen wrote:
    In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.
    Who told you about the PS4 splash screen?

    PS9: So Sony can now goatse you in the brain.TM

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • KarfKarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's like goatse you can watch outside!

    I don't think I'm doing this right at all.

    sig9.gif
  • edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    Sony creates device that can capture goatse out of thin air.

    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    What happened to Sony? They shifted their business from making video game consoles to making internet memes. They're doing a pretty damn good job too, in 2006 they were the industry leader.

    untitled1rw9.png

  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago

    I don't see where popularity and quality connect. In both my use of PS2s and Xboxes, it's fairly routine (about once per movie viewing) to see a skip as the player transitions from one chapter to another. I will say, however, that "modiocre...at best," might be a bit much.
    And now you're talking about Nintendo dominating the handheld market like it's a surprise.

    Alot of people (including me) saw the DS and thought it was the next Virtual Boy. Instead it's had periods where it outsold the "real" consoles. I'd say that's a bit of a surprise.

    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago

    I don't see where popularity and quality connect.
    It was really quite decent for the price at the time compared to what else was on the market. By 2004, obviously not so much, but by that point its ability to play DVDs was a non-factor anyway.

  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why is the OP article linked to and not quoted? screams sitewhoring. lol etoychest is a sitewhore. :o

  • EtericEteric Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo is in the process of rebuilding it's name. Sony is in the process of burning it down. :lol:

    eatfranks5.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    And now you're talking about Nintendo dominating the handheld market like it's a surprise.
    Two years ago, it was a surprise. Everybody, even here, thought the Playstation brand was going to fucking dominate the handheld market, just the same as it dominated the console market. But for all the Sony hate, people never seem quite willing to predict they might fail at something.
    Maybe if you had some semblance of neutrality your writing wouldn't sound like it was straight out of a Nintendo fanboy's GameFaqs post. You've got most of the information, you just don't seem to know what to do with it. You've got most of the ideas, but you're presenting them in a very one-sided manner.
    And once again, welcome to a fucking editorial. Editorials aren't meant to be unbiased. The whole fucking point of an editorial is to present an opinion.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm barely in and you've already made the mistake about progressive scan, claimed the PS2 was "a mediocre DVD player at best" when it was the only DVD player in the household for millions of people until a few years ago

    I don't see where popularity and quality connect. In both my use of PS2s and Xboxes, it's fairly routine (about once per movie viewing) to see a skip as the player transitions from one chapter to another. I will say, however, that "modiocre...at best," might be a bit much.

    Are you sure that's not the layer change? If so that's pretty much ubiquitous in DVD players due to the limitations of the technology. Gotta refocus that laser at somepoint.

  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate to say this, being a very happy Sony console owner in the PS1 and PS2 generations, but the reason that the article seems biased is because you couldn't write it any other way. Sony has done everything in it's power to drive all but the most diehard fans away and they've done it in both the console and handheld markets. The focus on movies and media being a selling point in both areas was a huge mistake for them, and one that became very hard for them to recover from as they obviously built both the PSP and PS3 with those features strongly in mind. Oh well, maybe they'll learn from their mistakes and recover, but the PSP really isn't looking like it has any hope left.

    steam_sig.png
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Ronen wrote:
    I spent about an hour walking around Sony's booth at CES today. I'm no Sony fan, mind you, but a lot of the stuff they had out there was pretty impressive. In truth, the PSP and PS3 sections were some of the weakest in the booth (take with a grain of salt, as I'm not a huge fan of either).

    In short, consumers are still buying by name. That won't change until Sony puts out a TV that goatses you evey time you turn it on.
    Sony's stock actually went up yesterday. The article says a lot about televisions having something to do with that, although it seems like the rise was more based on an analysts guess of what will happen than what is happening. I'm sure CES has something to do with it too though.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    I resent this.

    The Lord, our Savior, does not cry.

    steam_sig.png
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Karf wrote:
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    I resent this.

    The Lord, our Savior, does not cry.
    it's the shortest sentence in the entire Bible, Drez.

  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Karf wrote:
    As I see it, it's a very one sided story.

    Sony makes PSP. PSP flops. Nintendo has massive success. Nintendo eats babies to celebrate, Jesus weeps.

    I resent this.

    The Lord, our Savior, does not cry.
    it's the shortest sentence in the entire Bible, Drez.

    That would have been wept, past tense and all that :P

  • shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, your editors suck. :)
    ...
    Your editors really suck, sticking a grammatical error back in.

    I'm going slightly off-topic here, but I wanted to throw a little love at the eToychest editor(s) and staff. The weekly reviews and editorials you see on the site are all done in volunteer's free time, largely by names you'd recognize from around here. The edits you see are usually done late-night on the night of the deadline (or in the case of stuff I submit slightly after it), by someone who gives up his free time to edit other people's pieces.

    On-topic: when I read the piece in the edit queue before it posted I thought it was definitely biased. Thats part of the point; it is an opinion piece designed to generate an interesting discussion about what is going on in the industry. Based on this thread, I think he did a decent job. I agree with most of his points. I can understand the logic behind most of Sony's PS3 strategy, but that doesn't mean I don't think what we've seen of it so far isn't very flawed.

    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony is a nasty, nasty corp. I've been in the belly of the beast, and if anyone thinks for a moment that anything they do is for the benefit of the customer...well, your wrong. A lot of their product is designed to fail after a certain period, thus ensuring people will purchase replacements. Their also good about hiding undocumented features (IE defects) from the public, unless it happens to leak out like their exploding batteries or rootkits.

    So basically, their like any other corp, except their fingers extend into every avenue of electronics. If they lose money on one thing, they always gain on another, so they won't go anywhere soon.

    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    camo_sig2.png
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.