As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Master of Magic. AKA Boss of Spells

28682868 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Inspired by the recent thread, Let's Play 1994's best game!

I'll get this out of the way: This is my first LP. Post. Be gentle. I'll try to monitor it throughout the game for tips, or the awesome lol you effed up. If you've got the game, please Simulcast your Let's Play within.

What is Master of Magic? It's the best 4x style game ever in my never so humble opinion. You can catch the wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic

I'm holding myself to a few rules. Most important, and easiest to articulate would be the defeat rule, I'm playing the game expecting to lose. Which means I'm not going to game saves (e.g. reload if things don't shake out my way). If I go into a node and die there, then goddammit I'll die with dignity, and I'll catch a screen shot.

Expect me to restart on failure, which means this LP could turn a while. Though this is the nature of the game.

That said, let's get started:

4300142572_ab7bb6cb75_o.png

The Parameters and difficulty settings: I went with hard, mostly so I'd lose I guess. I also decided to turtle, hence fewer opponents. Exploration is half the fun in this game and it's easier with fewer enemies.

For the first round I chose life:

4299395797_d252053224_o.png

I figured life would be the easiest to play through with an audience. Plus in all my time, I've never played through as life. My buddy always did, and I always called him a punk.

We're a Warlord, and an Artificer. Warlord gives each unit a level up, and Artificer allows us to make artifacts for half cost as well as giving us the create artifact spells from the get go. Pretty invaluable.

I forgot to take a SS of the race chosen and the flag, but we're high elves, with the blue standard.

4299395689_17ae039d0f_o.png

Let's see what the gods gave us...

Not a bad starting zone. Gold and Nightshade within reach. Not seen in this screenshot is the mithril just under the gold vein. Oh well, that's why we have settlers.

What should we build first?

4299395747_a0bc208238_o.png

Why food storage my good man!

Study you say?

4299395717_11dabae95f_o.png

My strategy for choosing spells is just to go down the list, for now. Until I see a spell that jumps out at me that is. The first spell we learned was Bless. Now we're learning this one.

Finally, who are our neighbors? Two nature nodes: Stacked with danger.

4300142770_1ca708ef13_o.png
And
4300142740_d37cc1a3ef_o.png

In case you were wondering, I clicked no. Both times.

We just completed construction of the Granary, and followed it up with a Marketplace.

4299395945_fb630139bf_o.png

I'll upate as regularly as possible. With screenshots where things get awesome.

Expect stories, cursing, restarts, and regalia.

Let's Fucking Play.

P.S. For shits and sprinkles I decided to make use of our Artificer Talent early, to build a weapon before we have a hero to weild it.

Behold: Wang.

4299445883_b41c982a81_o.png

Our first hero will hold this wang with pride.

Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
2868 on

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And he looked upon this thread and he smiled, for he saw that it was good.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Indeed. Helpful for those of us who have never actually played. Thanks 2868!

Yall on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Been a while since there was a LP that interested me. Keep up the good work.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Supervisor of Sorcery.
    Potentate of Potions.
    Executive of Enchantment.
    Bottom Bitch of Bewitching
    Honcho of Hexes
    Chief of Curses
    CEO of Conjuration
    Jefe of Jinxes.

What I mean to say is I thank you for this thread and will follow it faithfully.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Excellent, I may, if the mood strikes me, join your LP with one of my own if you don't mind. Not on hard though, I am not that hardcore.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Outstanding - a promising start. I actually thought when reading the OP when I saw the name of your starting town, "Good, but needs more 'Wang.'"

Oh ho, but you delivered!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Build a sawmill, proceed to win easily. <3 longbows.

Taking warlord is kind of broken as it nearly guarantees you get Fang, king of all badasses.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Outstanding - a promising start. I actually thought when reading the OP when I saw the name of your starting town, "Good, but needs more 'Wang.'"

Oh ho, but you delivered!

I figured a Wang was better to hold, than to live in.
    Build a sawmill, proceed to win easily. <3 longbows.

Taking warlord is kind of broken as it nearly guarantees you get Fang, king of all badasses.

Yes. But I am on Hard, and was a virgin when last I played this game (Last year !) So I needed the warlord edge. Also, I took life, which guarantees the chosen.

More photos soon.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Torin is lame. Fuck Torin. Fang is where it's at.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Torin is lame. Fuck Torin. Fang is where it's at.

Agreed. I also like the deathknight.

Working on the follow up now.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My hair is on fire, your argument is invalid.
    4301337016_8ff2de5519_o.png

Of course, on turn 7, some peon up and decides he won't fucking farm anymore:

4301336448_ce3c79f096_o.png

Which for the uninitiated means I have to grind the war machine to a halt and build a goddamned shrine. But it offers a research bonus, so it's not all bad.

Hard is hard, and almost right away we're hit by rampaging halberdiers, and lo our first fight:

4301336146_300e563fb7_o.png

It's fucking cool. I crushed them.

Impressed by my prowess at ruining halberdiers' shit, a hero approaches. He's got to get on my jock. Cause I'm a warlord you see?

4300590271_5c9e05b77b_o.png

More like lolunther, mirite?

So like I said, hard is hard, and not 10 squares from my new little village I see this:

4300590509_58a2eccfc9_o.png

Which prompts a phone call:

4301336700_523a11e690_o.png

This aggression will not stand, man!

4301336790_af2893692b_o.png

Bitch is angry. We should probably run. And we do, losing a spearman unit in the process.

4301336916_b3890d0dc2_o.png

Stupider like a fox. I fled into a cul de sac.

and Fuuuuuu

4300591061_9520305fe1_o.png

For some reason she only sent in a small detachment. Which I easily crushed.

Not pictured is the follow up, where she sends in all the troops.

Meanwhile back at the ranch:

4301337216_a464a1e090_o.png

I'm going to rain hell upon Kali! Wooden hell. Long shafts of anger.

Other developments. A second hero arrived, Rakir the beastmaster,

He's nothing special, so no photo. Things are going steady, I lost my scouts to Kali but we're not in too much trouble. The home base is well defended.

I'd spoiler these images, but that ruins the fun of Let's Play.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suggestion: spoiler the whole post, with just a title hanging in front of it. That way, we don't have to scroll back past it again, but can open the spoiler to see the images and text.

It's been years since I played this; nostalgia alert! (Far too many hours spent on this in college.)

Darian on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Screenshot LPs are the jam. That is all.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Suggestion: spoiler the whole post, with just a title hanging in front of it. That way, we don't have to scroll back past it again, but can open the spoiler to see the images and text.

It's been years since I played this; nostalgia alert! (Far too many hours spent on this in college.)

Done. The OP stands, since it is the HOOK!

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh right, I loved this game so much all my WoW characters were named after the most appropriate hero. So I had Rakir as my Hunter, Yramrog as my Warlock, Greyfairer the Druid, etc.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I forgot how awesome this game was.

So awesome.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, how I love Gunther. :lol:

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, I feel so sad that I never got to play this.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh man, I feel so sad that I never got to play this.

Oh man, I feel so great that I did get to play this.

This was so back in the day that my brother had to have a boot menu that modified memory allocation so it would run. So good. I might have to see if I can get a copy just for old time's sake, now! It's too bad that GoG doesn't have this and the MoO series.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    3rd post incoming. Delayed by a crash.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't this game abandon ware? As in you can download it for free. Probably need DOSbox or something to play it though.

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The gods are angry.

At Kali it seems. Here a a few of the things that befell her.

4303899561_f47c0fd1f2_o.png

4304645382_7b9416ed85_o.png

4303899359_02254efec1_o.png
    Must. Resist. Joke.

We build town!

4304645556_e1a70dc1e0_o.png

Which pissed off the gods,

4304645718_1850529447_o.png

I didn't even know meteors were in the game. Look at the havok they wreak.

4303900345_e0657410e8_o.png

Some bullshit. The gold and silver that were near Boner, nay the reason Boner existed are ruined by corruption.

So I do what any normal psuedodeity would do. Fucking rampage!

4304645472_cc8cff3f7b_o.png

After this, city I took the city Gronk, remember it? Way back from first post? Well it's ours now. We needed engineers for roads.

I made a new item.

4303900127_5a57e59f5c_o.png

Meanwhile the war with Kali rages. Her forces break against our walls, yet she is persistent.

4304645636_d136b2f695_o.png

Really? Misty? That's your hero?

Also Kali, you're an idiot.

4303900053_cb752a593c_o.png

See that boat there? See where it is? Yeah. Way to build it Kali.

I cast Just Cause. It basically makes me famous.

4304645236_740df3bfee_o.png

In addition I started construction on some roads. I'll take a picture when it's done. I also began to expand. (Now that my starting towns are secure, thanks to ultra elite longbowmen.)

Finally. The game ender. The crash. Hopefully it didn't corrupt the save game. One of my heroes doesn't have a sprite anymore, so it's not looking good. But Starting over is the fun part.

4304646256_c67cf596d3_o.png

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm playing in dos box from an old CD rom I bought off of ebay. I'm sure you can get it abandonware style. Just make sure you can get the patch.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "A meteor has hit Boner", hahahaha.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look on ye crash & despair. For it hath corrupth ye savegame.

Time to start again. This time, I'm going mixed magic arts. Thinking Myyran, Sorcery, and Chaos.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am saddened by the loss of your game. But it does mean an opportunity for a new wizard! What horrible names will you inflict on this master of the mystic arts?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why had I not heard of this game before now?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A New Challenger!

magic000.jpg
    I went with Artificer as well because gosh darn it, making magic items is fun. I also picked up Alchemy, which allows me to turn gold into mana or vice versa at a 1:1 ratio, which can come in really handy (other wizards can do this at a 2:1 ratio).
    magic001g.jpg
    Not shown previously, when making a custom wizard with lots of one book type you get to choose which spells you start with. Maxed out books allows you to choose uncommon and even rare spells, which are powerful as hell to start with. Of course doing so means your wizard gets no special abilities.

magic002.jpg
    We're going to go with Orcs, who have the distinction of being able to build every building in the game, and absolutely no other special traits.

magic003.jpg
    And the red banner, of course.

magic004.jpg
    Starting position isn't terrible, but isn't great. Notably, I am lacking a maritime border, which means a bunch of buildings are unavailable to Wangtopia, oh well.

magic005.jpg
    Zombies in the temple to the southwest, I might be able to take them, but the scouting report is rather inaccurate, and only tells you what the strongest unit visible is, not how many there are, nor if there is anything else. I could take 1-3 units of zombies, but I'm not going to test my luck.

magic006.jpg
    Going with the standard Granary first approach. This is the city display screen, most of it is pretty self-explanatory, but I'm going to explain it anyways to pad out the length of this first update. Up top is the name and state of the city, hamlet being puny and small. Below that is the population bar, I have 4,000 orcs, which translates to 4 workers, currently 3 farmers and 1 worker. Resources are below that, in order from top to bottom, food, production, gold, and power. Food and gold are split with the stuff to the left of the break being needed for upkeep and the stuff to the right being excess. To the right of the resources is the terrain view, not terribly important, but that red 1/2 in the bottom right means there is another city really close by, I'll probably destroy that, hate competing cities.
    The buildings screen in the bottom left shows a visual representation of our city, the big thing in the middle is our Fortress, where we do wizardy stuff. To the right of it is the Summoning circle, which denotes in which city our summoned creatures pop up. At the bottom are, from left to right, the Builders Hall, the Barracks, and the Smithy, which are the cornerstone of any city. Your capital starts with all this stuff, any other cities have to build them, which is a huge pain. On the right the two displays show what units are currently in the city, and what the city is currently producing, yay.

magic007.jpg
    We immediately go to our Tax Collector and raise taxes a bit. There are a whole slew of "advisors" you can access from the Info button in the top right, but I'll cover those later.

magic008.jpg
    Here you can see that the common spells you choose to start with are pretty pointless, as the other common spells tend to be the first things you get to research anyways. Ah well. I too will pretty much just go down the list.

magic009.jpg
    magic010.jpg
    Yep, here they are, the bastards. Notably, neutral cities always seem to start with free military buildings, meaning they can recruit Halberdiers while I'm stuck with Swordsmen. Of course, I can call fire from the sky and they can't, so I guess they need some sort of advantage. We'll come back to these guys in a few turns. (Not shown is me reducing taxes again as I forgot that with my policing units off scouting unrest pops up).

magic011.jpg
    Ahahahahaha fuck that. The Fallen Temple to Wangtopias north has Death Knights, which are pretty much the best summanable creatures Death wizards can get. I foresee this dungeon being left alone for a very long time.

magic012.jpg
    War Bears are a lot more manageable, we'll come back to this one when we have a few heroes and a real army.

magic013.jpg
    Yeah, Skulltop decided to test our defenses, you can see in the upper right the info box from me mousing over their Halberdiers. Feel free to compare that to the info box at the bottom of our Spearmen. Yeah, Spearmen suck, a lot. Let's see if we can even the score.

magic014.jpg
    magic015.jpg
    magic016.jpg
    magic017.jpg
    magic018.jpg
    This should do nicely.

magic019.jpg
    Well dang, they resisted, guess we get to do this the hard way.

magic020u.jpg
    Damn right I am.

Hmm, DosBox seems to output screenshots in glorious tiny ass resolution, these are resized, and hence appear a little blurry. If anyone knows a better way to do it, let me know.

Episode 2, in which not much occurs.
    Episode 3, wherein we do something other than sit around and kill neutrals dumb enough to wander into our town.
    Episode 4, in which Knobgobbler turns out to be way better than expected.
    Episode 4.5, in which we fiddle with video recording, and then accidentally save over our file.
    Episode 5, in which I wish I could think of a good Little Mermaid pun to denote that Ariel dies.
    Episode 6, Just one more turn...
    Episode 7, wherein we start getting our hands on the good stuff.
    Episode 8, wherein it seems like nothing happened, but in truth most of it was boring preparatory stuff.
    Episode 9, In which we kill Freya, multiple times.
    Special bonus video

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alchemy is some wicked goose. I love spending my points on talents, and normally do pretty well with it(not that the game is overly difficult).

This is one of the few games I know that is universally loved.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This thread... it's... it's beautiful...

this is definitely my favorite 4x game as well. So awesome. I used to rock lots of light magic, and I would use it to summon the Chosen One, and deck him out in every beneficial spell possible, and he could singlehandedly take on entire armies without taking a scratch... unless the computer was smart enough to dispel him, and the dispel connected through his spell lock and everything... then I would be sad.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This thread... it's... it's beautiful...

this is definitely my favorite 4x game as well. So awesome. I used to rock lots of light magic, and I would use it to summon the Chosen One, and deck him out in every beneficial spell possible, and he could singlehandedly take on entire armies without taking a scratch... unless the computer was smart enough to dispel him, and the dispel connected through his spell lock and everything... then I would be sad.

This is why you make sure to give him invulnerability on an item.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Definitely my all time favorite 4x game as well.

I started to like High Men at first due to their units of 6 mages but more units seem to have magic immunity than missile immunity. High Elves with their Longbowmen are the path to true dominance. Take all life books with the Warlord and Myrran kits to give them Champion status and adamantium weapons and they will one shot just about anything that isn't missile immune.

Also if you pick the voodoo looking chick as your wizard then you get to see her pixelated boobies whenever you summon something. Oh the things you remember from games you played when you were 14.

DudemanX on
    Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The other true path to dominance is myrran -> anything really but especially dark elves. Good lord, warlocks.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FerrosolFerrosol Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    nah you want ridiculously overpowered it has to be the halflings. Slingers are just the best ranged unit in the game and on top of that you get a food bonus from your farmers and hardly any unrest from your conquered peons. The slingers are at base weaker than the elven bowmen but having more figures they buff up a lot better.

Ferrosol on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, but you're lame ass hobbits, and no one wants to be that.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope this save game lasts longer than the last! Keep going, this is like raw nostalgia being pumped into my eyeball through a giant syringe.

...more enjoyable than that sounds.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Glad this didn't die. I haven't had time to start a new game to share, I got hit with a deadline.

I'll leave these here though:
    4319977866_23c442a754_o.png

4319977744_5a7ec047a5_o.png

4319244443_33af706c6d_o.png

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also I just noticed, Kayne Red Robe was the new Player. Then I saw Tauron. And the name. It's so goddamned perfect. Change your profile picture.

4319888905_41dce95ec7_o.png

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was interested in this game but it sounds like it's pretty buggy and that save game corrupting bug kills my interest.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's gloriously buggy. And awesome.

enlightenedbum on