As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today's Woot, should I get it? (Urgent cause its woot I guess?)

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so Ive been needing a new computer for a while now but I just havent had the cash yet but then I see todays Woot offer and it sounds pretty good. However I do not know a whole lot about computer hardware, like the HDD on this is four times bigger than mine is now, its got six times the RAM, and the processor is lots better than mine, but thats about where my technical knowledge ends.

Is this a good deal? Will it play games that are coming out now? Games that come out later (with modifications not requiring a whole new computer)?

Kind of urgent since with woot this is a one day thing.

Also: www.woot.com for those of you who dont know what it is (though I dont think there are many of you left).

Lardalish on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a slow processor and a weak video card. It'd be fine for web browsing, music and video, but that's about it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd barely consider the on-board video as a plus, and I'm guessing any significant upgrades would involve getting a new motherboard.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not a gaming machine, no.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's also a refurb, so take that into consideration.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For gaming you would need a new power supply (it has a 250W one), new video card, and a processor upgrade. you would spend another $200 easy to make it useful for gaming.

Beazle on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it's as big an upgrade as you say in your op, it's a decent deal for a legit windows 7 license and that "snappy new computer feel".

but seeing as you've held off on buying this long, you're probably not one of those people who would drop 300 bucks just for some updated tech.

If you're interesting in computer gaming, expect to spend at least ~800ish for a decent set up and pass this over.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm on board with what everyone else is saying. The sempron is pretty outdated. It will give you that cool new toy satisfaction, but it really isn't going to do much. If you want something quickly, you can find a good quad core from dell or hp for like ~$500-$600, then you just up the video card and PSU, and you're set

blakfeld on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it's a good computer for the price, but you won't be doing much gaming on it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to work desktop phone support for HP. I would not recommend getting this machine.

Really, last time I checked you could not buy any computer that would be capable of playing video games for a reasonable price from any of the major manufacturers. If you want a new gaming machine on the cheap, find a tech savvy friend and pay him fifty bucks to build you a machine. I just built my wife one from parts for about $400 that would be capable of playing any modern video game- but that's not including the cost for a retail copy of Windows, which will spike the price up another $100 or so.

Lykouragh on