As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

• Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The comic sans achewood is probably the funniest one I've read:

x1c9yo.gif

This is the first one I've found funny so far.

Ed321 on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and here's another good one

uuacJL2TH.gif
    Smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2010
    Well now you've ruined it.

Ed321 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah that Comic Sans is good

Every other one in this thread

Not so good

Rent on
    edited January 2010
    too late, I'm posting another one!

uuabF8hHT.gif

Centipede Damascus on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh...oh god. That Achewood is actually funny. The foundations of my world are rocked.

Of course, now you'll post another dozen unfunny ones.

Captain Carrot on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We talk about PBF but I rarely see strips posted

To fight against the achewood tide, my favorite strip (my friends and I still quote "Actually I'm just wearing your glasses"):

PBF081-Q.P._Inc..gif

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get Achewood at first. Like, at all. Not even a bit. I forced myself to read the first hundred comics or so, just to see if it was one of those things where you have to know the characters, and it was. After spending several hours reading it, I got to where I thought it was actually very funny. It's like The Office, in that respect.

Was it worth all those hours, in hindsight? Eh, probably not. But I found most of the posted strips somewhere between cute and hilarious, and I wouldn't have before I put time into it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    *gasp*

Achewood's humor isn't universal?

I, for one, am shocked. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    I just like posting Achewood, is all.

uua4sc0F3.gif

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I didn't get Achewood at first. Like, at all. Not even a bit. I forced myself to read the first hundred comics or so, just to see if it was one of those things where you have to know the characters, and it was. After spending several hours reading it, I got to where I thought it was actually very funny. It's like The Office, in that respect.

Was it worth all those hours, in hindsight? Eh, probably not. But I found most of the posted strips somewhere between cute and hilarious, and I wouldn't have before I put time into it.

Yeeeah, I'm not gonna do something that requires many hours of investment to gain optimum humor out of

Rent on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The silly thing about the fact that Least I Could Do was winning that poll earlier, is that the creator has a different comic which, IMO, is actually really good. (Looking For Group)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2010
    On the other hand, anyone who doesn't like Nedroid is clearly a communist

2010-01-18-beartato-hammock.gif

alt: If only we didn't live in this featureless white void

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yeeeah, I'm not gonna do something that requires many hours of investment to gain optimum humor out of

That's why I like the comic sans one; it doesn't need any explanation of the characters, it just picks something at random (but not really when every woman in the office formats their e-mails with that font) and makes it funny.

TexiKen on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am kind of curious, did people vote Penny Arcade because they... you know, actually enjoy the comic. Or because it's linked to our forums here? Personally? I voted for LICD. PA's a good random funny gaming thing but I've been reading LICD since the beginning though I do agree Looking For Group is superiorly amusing.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited January 2010
    I think my favorite thing from Achewood is actually when Nice Pete goes to Rachel Ray's house and blogs about it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't like achewood in general, at least not enough to follow it, but some of the ones on the last page were pretty golden IMO.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Achewood is only really funny when you read a lot of it. You have to get a feel for the characters.

The same is true of Dinosaur Comics, really.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    Well, out of all those comics, 14 I haven't read before, so of the remaining 8, I think PA is probably my favorite one. Though I love PBF and XKCD, and I really enjoy Questionable Content.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't find that Nedroid funny either, but I've never read any others AFAIK. Do like the art.

Dinosaur comics is like...whuuuh?

Ed321 on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, out of all those comics, 14 I haven't read before, so of the remaining 8, I think PA is probably my favorite one. Though I love PBF and XKCD, and I really enjoy Questionable Content.

I also really enjoy QC, but it would be hard for me to pick it as a great comic, since it doesn't make me laugh very often anymore.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    I am kind of curious, did people vote Penny Arcade because they... you know, actually enjoy the comic. Or because it's linked to our forums here? Personally? I voted for LICD. PA's a good random funny gaming thing but I've been reading LICD since the beginning though I do agree Looking For Group is superiorly amusing.

Explain then, why LICD deserves to be called the Best Webcomic of the Decade.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited January 2010
    I liked that one.

Ed321 on
    edited January 2010

Penny Arcade more often than not has a good comic with a good post by Tycho, and if it fails at one they have the other to make up for it.

And while the forums are a good place to talk about like, you know, whatever, and they've built a really good brand around the comic, the strip is still very good and current.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010

Is this post for real? I mean obviously LICD sucks and anyone who likes it is the silliest of geese, but it's pretty clear the post you quoted is saying he voted for LICD because it was the best on the list, since LFG was not on it.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I didn't find that Nedroid funny either, but I've never read any others AFAIK. Do like the art.

Read some more!

Dinosaur Comics is my favorite webcomic. It's a bit hit-or-miss, but when it makes me laugh more than any other.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010

Is this post for real? I mean obviously LICD sucks and anyone who likes it is the silliest of geese, but it's pretty clear the post you quoted is saying he voted for LICD because it was the best on the list, since LFG was not on it.

That doesn't mean anything! Just because it is his second choice doesn't explain why he likes it at all.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2010

Penny Arcade more often than not has a good comic with a good post by Tycho, and if it fails at one they have the other to make up for it.

And while the forums are a good place to talk about like, you know, whatever, and they've built a really good brand around the comic, the strip is still very good and current.

Strangly, I don't associate these forums with the comics anymore. (Though that partially has to do with how Gabe and Tycho try to avoid them like the plague). At this point they just happen to be at the same website, but I go on autopilot to skip the main page when I go to the forum. It's almost like it doesn't exist except for when I want to look at the comic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »

Read some more!

Dinosaur Comics is my favorite webcomic. It's a bit hit-or-miss, but when it makes me laugh more than any other.

that and it updates five days a week, which considering the writing is certainly something

Rust on
    edited January 2010
    2006-05-16-1435-rabbitintherosesredux.jpg

Ah, the classics

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    Hey, I read this webcomic that was funny photos with hilarious captions in cursive...it was awesome...does anyone remember the name?

Rent on
    edited January 2010

That doesn't mean anything! Just because it is his second choice doesn't explain why he likes it at all.

It appears I misunderstood your post. Carry on.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    See it's shit like this

Does anyone think that above Achewood is funny? If so, can anyone explain the joke, at all?

At all?

AT FUCKING ALL?

Im with this dude.

jungleroomx on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nedroid is fantastic. I really don't like PBF at all and it has never made me laughed. I'm too late to the party to Achewood. I voted for Penny Arcade.

deadonthestreet on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

And as much as we like to pretend the forums are huge, powerful, and important, it's no nearly as huge as the readership who sees the front page and doesn't even know the forums exist.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    if you do not like nedroid then you are a

oh god dammit

a silly goose

i can't conceive of the mindset that cannot like nedroid and am flabbergasted when it presents itself

Rust on
    edited January 2010

Strangly, I don't associate these forums with the comics anymore. (Though that partially has to do with how Gabe and Tycho try to avoid them like the plague). At this point they just happen to be at the same website, but I go on autopilot to skip the main page when I go to the forum. It's almost like it doesn't exist except for when I want to look at the comic.

I get that, it's like recognizing that without Delaware there would be no Texas, so there is a measure of granted respect even if the first thing isn't as great as the fruit it bears (how's that for completely out of the blue, huh?).

But Penny Arcade is still funny to me. I think it's like King of the Hill, it gets better as time goes on, even as I have less and less time to play games these days, yet the comic is still accessible and knows how to structure the strip for a done-in-one, except for those annual 5 parters. Of course, this now means PA will be replaced by black Seth McFarlane comic strip #2, Dat's What I Was Drawin' Fo' You Befo!

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    if you do not like nedroid then you are a

oh god dammit

a silly goose

i can't conceive of the mindset that cannot like nedroid and am flabbergasted when it presents itself

Fucking signed

Rent on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nedroid isn't my thing, but I can see why some people would like it.

Looking for Group, on the other hand, is just aggressively bad. It isn't mediocre or just inoffensive; it is awful and I can't figure out why so many people like it. Same goes for CAD and 8-bit Theatre, which thankfully didn't make the list either.

CycloneRanger on