As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick 360 power brick question. [SOLVED]

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently my release-day 360 unit RRoD'd on me, and I sent it in for repairs. When I boxed it up, the repair instructions were pretty specific that I was to leave my power brick behind, and not send it in. Today I finally got my repaired 360 back - Only I didn't, because they replaced it with a shiny new one instead of doing any kind of repair or refurb.

This leave me with something of a quandary: My initial unit was a first run "Xenon" XBox using a 203W PSU and 90 nm chips. The new unit I've been able to identify as an updated "Jasper" XBox - which is normally sold with a 150W PSU. Obviously I still have my old power brick, as I thought it was implied I was to keep it.

Is it safe for me to use the new console with the old power brick? The power plug 'fits', in as much as it always has (That plug connection has always been stubborn in my opinion). I just don't want to fry my new XBox. A few of the quick Google results I've found say not to do it - that it will cause damage. But if that's the case, I can't understand why Microsoft wouldn't have replaced the power brick along with the console, or at least offered some warning.

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Recently my release-day 360 unit RRoD'd on me, and I sent it in for repairs. When I boxed it up, the repair instructions were pretty specific that I was to leave my power brick behind, and not send it in. Today I finally got my repaired 360 back - Only I didn't, because they replaced it with a shiny new one instead of doing any kind of repair or refurb.

This leave me with something of a quandary: My initial unit was a first run "Xenon" XBox using a 203W PSU and 90 nm chips. The new unit I've been able to identify as an updated "Jasper" XBox - which is normally sold with a 150W PSU. Obviously I still have my old power brick, as I thought it was implied I was to keep it.

Is it safe for me to use the new console with the old power brick? The power plug 'fits', in as much as it always has (That plug connection has always been stubborn in my opinion). I just don't want to fry my new XBox. A few of the quick Google results I've found say not to do it - that it will cause damage. But if that's the case, I can't understand why Microsoft wouldn't have replaced the power brick along with the console, or at least offered some warning.

I'm pretty sure it's totally safe. I remember reading that they're forward compatible but not backwards compatible.

EDIT: If it really freaks you out, call Microsoft in the morning. They'll give you the definitive answer.

Esh on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh is correct - the connectors are keyed to fit only the xboxes they're compatible with. So if it fits, it's compatible. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/907635?sd=xbox

Kevdog on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like your question is answered, and congrats on getting a brand new Jasper!

Esh on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, awesome. Thanks, guys! After all the cross-talk I was finding on other forums, and weird statements about 'other region power supplies', this puts my mind at ease.

Mods, feel free to lock`em.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The key to remember is that the system won't choke on more power. But it certainly won't run with less.

Santa Claustrophobia on
This discussion has been closed.