As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ubisoft busting out the online DRM beams

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the point is supposed to be that naming them is what they want, and encourages them.

But hey, when Ubisoft's servers are inevitably shut down, I'll be glad these people were here to undo the stupidity Ubisoft has forced down our throats. So I don't really see the issue with it.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tech-savvy people are information hungry. They don't want half a story. Some sort of vague "A piracy group has made a statement hurfa durfa."

If they see that they're just going to find a site that will give them the full story, and stay there. Great way to lose your readership.

JAEF on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On a related note, my internet connection has been down for the last few hours. (typing this on my iPhone)

Since I can't really do anything on the net I think I'll go play some games.

Good thing I hadn't bought final fight or assasins creed 2 pc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    On a related note, my internet connection has been down for the last few hours. (typing this on my iPhone)

I pretty much feel the same way about R.U.S.E. RTS's are one of my main go-to games when my internet's acting shoddy or has gone down. At the moment there have been plenty of other strategy games released this year that do the job. That and the game's been delayed until about september.

So basically aside from the DRM, lacking in hype and coming at the tail end of a bunch of RTS's released this year, it looks like R.U.S.E. is likely setting itself up to be released in the same time period as Starcraft 2. Something that C&C4, Chaos Rising and SupCom2 all likely took pains to avoid.

Still at least should the game fail to do as well as expected, we know what the cause is.
    Er, pirates?

It's pirate right?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    subedii wrote: »

I pretty much feel the same way about R.U.S.E. RTS's are one of my main go-to games when my internet's acting shoddy or has gone down. At the moment there have been plenty of other strategy games released this year that do the job. That and the game's been delayed until about september.

So basically aside from the DRM, lacking in hype and coming at the tail end of a bunch of RTS's released this year, it looks like R.U.S.E. is likely setting itself up to be released in the same time period as Starcraft 2. Something that C&C4, Chaos Rising and SupCom2 all likely took pains to avoid.

Still at least should the game fail to do as well as expected, we know what the cause is.
    Er, pirates?

It's pirate right?

I'm jonesing here man, just phoned up my ISP and "they are aware of the issue and are working on resolving it".

I've got the shakes, using my iPhone just isn't enough.. I could setup tethering between my iPhone and laptop, then I could have a proper net experience, no online gaming though.

Funny thing is my Internet connection is a more expensive than normal business line, which is meant to be more reliable than a residential line. Damn it, I don't feel like going out and i'm in the middle of washday.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

NO MAN UR WORNG
    Because... erm, hum... companies sometimes take risks... aaaah... piracy is bad.... and 90% of pirates will always buy protected games...

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It lives! My net connection is now back up, literally just now. So, it's been down since first thing this morning when I tried accessing my email. (so about 8 hours probably longer that my net connection was down)

I am officially scared for the future if all games required an always on internet connection.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's pretty obvious your Internet connection was taken down for 8 hours because you were pirating video games.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was your first strike, Grim. They're warning you.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    That was your first strike, Grim. They're warning you.

Oh great, so if I check my email I get banned from the internet?

I prefer email over other means, it will be a cold day in hell I use facebook for communicating and twitter is only useful for small messages.

You can't win these days, next thing I know I'll get the door to my house blocked up for using ftp.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Escapist had a good article about Ubisoft's DRM (link) that pointed out what companies do not want to hear: When a game is not cracked for 6 weeks, and people are still not buying it, you can not blame piracy.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Archgarth wrote: »
    The Escapist had a good article about Ubisoft's DRM (link) that pointed out what companies do not want to hear: When a game is not cracked for 6 weeks, and people are still not buying it, you can not blame piracy.

I'm not sure he's saying that ubisoft can't blame piracy, just that for the ginormous effeort they'd eventually need to put into play, they wouldn't really see much if any rise in sales.

But his point stands, which is why I think sales statistics for AC2 on the PC are extremely relevant now. The game sold multiple millions on the consoles, and the presumption is that it did not suffer piracy on the PC during its most crucial sales period (which I would argue was actually several months BEFORE the PC release when the console version came out, but we'll leave that for now). It may only be one point of data, just an anecdote, but it at least gives some sort of reference point.

I do however also take issue with his using VGChartz, because frankly, that site is absolutely rubbish and statistics often have no actual basis in any statements, or otherwise actual reality (I mean come on, doing a search the PC version of AC2 doesn't even have a listing of any sales. Another search reveals that the Orange Box only sold 1.3 million units total, and bizarrely, none of those were on the PC).

subedii on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm not sure he's saying that ubisoft can't blame piracy, just that for the ginormous effeort they'd eventually need to put into play, they wouldn't really see much if any rise in sales.

But his point stands, which is why I think sales statistics for AC2 on the PC are extremely relevant now. The game sold multiple millions on the consoles, and the presumption is that it did not suffer piracy on the PC during its most crucial sales period (which I would argue was actually several months BEFORE the PC release when the console version came out, but we'll leave that for now). It may only be one point of data, just an anecdote, but it at least gives some sort of reference point.

I do however also take issue with his using VGChartz, because frankly, that site is absolutely rubbish and statistics often have no actual basis in any statements, or otherwise actual reality (I mean come on, doing a search the PC version of AC2 doesn't even have a listing of any sales. Another search reveals that the Orange Box only sold 1.3 million units total, and bizarrely, none of those were on the PC).

Kudos to pointing those out. (Note: not sarcastic, I like to be double checked).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry if I was testy, I just see VGCatrz quoted a lot in these things when their figures aren't really useful, or even accurate.

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know, I heard that they were right 78% of the time. I heard that from a bloke that said so.

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The reason people don't like VGChartz is because they will literally make up information based on no industry research whatsoever. They've said this. They also say they will revise it with new data when it becomes available, but every month bales of bad data survives, becomes archived, and becomes "trusted."

They get some crap right, but it's impossible to tell what.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

How can Ubisoft blame piracy? They say their DRM wasn't cracked for 6 weeks. Therefore the game couldn't be pirated during those six weeks. So those 6 weeks of sales should have no impact from piracy. We have heard such outrageous figures about lost sales from piracy. Now we know, that at least when concerning ACII, these figures are lies.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The DRM debate has long steered away from the seas of reason and fact, and is entirely veiled in the mists of "pulling shit off the ass".

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And when they're done, they'll have a crack for an old game that nobody cares about anymore.

I think one factor that that Escapist article might not be taken into account is the fact that the PC version of Assassin's Creed II came out several months after the console versions, so comparing its sales to other big releases really isn't fair. Platform exclusivity blurs things somewhat, but I don't think it's too outrageous to incorporate the way in which most sales of a game occur during the first few months into this situation.

In other words, the game was old hat before it even came out, so sales expectations should've always been pretty low.

Not that I don't agree with the general gist of the article, but there's still plenty of room for Ubisoft to claim that the DRM helped sales.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

How can Ubisoft blame piracy? They say their DRM wasn't cracked for 6 weeks. Therefore the game couldn't be pirated during those six weeks. So those 6 weeks of sales should have no impact from piracy. We have heard such outrageous figures about lost sales from piracy. Now we know, that at least when concerning ACII, these figures are lies.

"The PC market is so rife with piracy that nobody would EVER consider paying for a product, they simply pirate other games instead. This is the only reasonable explanation for why Assassin's Creed 2 failed to sell on the PC platform where sales on the PS3 and 360 were unhindered."

Done, and done.

EDIT: Not that I believe they'll actually try for that crazy approach, but I know enough that it's a real possibility they'll say something along those lines.

subedii on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

A story was linked in the industry thread that Ubisoft is blaming Fox for Avatar: The Game not doing well.

So y'know. Ubisoft will blame everyone but themselves. We should accept that as their corporate statement.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    cool story bro

Glad you see it my way.

No, I haven't lost nearly enough neurons to fall that horribly.
    I mean, I won't waste my time arguing with someone who so blindly refuses to see the obvious consequences of such a fucking retarded move by Ubi.
    Regardless of all your bold claims about business management, it's pretty clear you have no idea of what you're talking about... You accuse me of handwaving and promptly pulls crap out of your ass. At least I have 20 years of experience with pc gaming and all possible kinds of piracy, thanks to being a Brazilian gamer. You know, there was no other way to actually get the games back then. Thankfully i can do that now and I have bought most, if not all of the games I played along those 20 years, but at least I have the least bit knowledge about the whole issue, unlike you.

So yeah, keep lonely clapping your hands to the huge fiasco Ubi built for themselves, because, unfortunately for you, reality doesn't seem to agree with your wild baseless guesses.

I didn't make up a statistic. I put an estimate on a statistic that I'd be willing to wager money on. Which is the same things companies do. And that isn't exactly a "bold claim."

I think the issue here is that you're mistakenly interpreting my claim that DRM isn't necessarily a monetary loss every time for the companies that use it as defending Ubi's DRM.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dude that's so last week.
    Nobody cares

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Settlers 7 hacked and slashed. Skidrow's crack apparently used parts of the original emulation software, which made it just a simplification of the emulation server, therefore making it a non-crack, just simplifying the matter so the dumbest idiot can use it.
    Scene-related rants & stuff:
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     As  far  as  previous  'cracks'  of  Ubisoft's  new DRM system are concerned:

Both   of   Skidr0w's   releases   show  us they haven't had a look (probably
     even  didn't  find)  the  actual  protection  code and everything hints on em
     using  parts   of  publicly  collected  'challenge/response'  pairs.  Luckily
     Assassin's   Creed  II is probably the only  target  ever where this approach
     of  'emulating'  the  server by a  static lookup will  yield  any  measurable 
     success   (due   to   a   basic   design  flaw in  an otherwise  pretty  neat 
     idea  of  software  protection).  In  fact, we  considered this  approach  as 
     generally  too  unreliable  and  'unworthy' of a scene crack,  so  we  didn't 
     care   about   doing   it.   Instead   we  opted  for going for the arguably  
     most     challenging    implementation    of    Ubisoft's   new   DRM   first
     (emulating   actual   server-side   game  code).  So  here  it  is: The first
     Ubisoft DRM crack!

@RELOADED:
     Congrats  on  your  recent advances in automating your Solidshield VM cracks.
     We  actually  respect  that. However, we wonder why you didn't go all the way
     and  recompiled  the  fixed decompiler output to optimized native x86 code as
     we   did   as   early   as   with  Perry  Rhodan  (followed  by  Anno  1404).

Although  we  think there's not much merit to discussing technical details in
     .nfos  (mostly  because  it's  impossible  for  anyone lacking the skills and
     sources  to  fact-check  these  statements)  we feel the need to preempt all
     that  made-up "they-ripped-it-from-some-unprotected-tuvaluan-multi12-binary"
     bullshit that's sure to follow:

We  invite  anyone  who is able to and interested enough in this to check the
     history  of  scene-released  Solidshield VM cracks taking into account things
     like  availability  of  possible  alternate  sources  for  the protected code
     fragments  at  the time of release, similarity to compiled code (i.e. 'copy &
     paste  cracks'  from  differently  protected  or  unprotected  binaries), the
     rebuilt   code's  resemblence  of  the  original  VM  instructions  regarding
     sequence  of  mnemonics  etc.pp. We're pretty confident (read '100% certain')
     you'll  come  to the conclusion that we were first with respect to rebuilding
     actual Solidshield VM code.

Nvm, 'mild respect'! ;)

P.S.
     Finally,   there's  a  chance  of  the  good  ol'  times  coming  back  (when
     protections   had  to  be  dealt  with  on  a  per  title  basis  by  skilled
     individuals)  and  an  opportunity  of  telling  the sharpies from the fakers
     again.   Thanks   Ubi!   (Yup,   we're   actually   serious  about  this  :))

The fact that the DRM has so many angles to be exploited is intriguing.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds to me like they just found a programming backdoor put there for the folks porting it while working on it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ubisoft have finally found their target audience: Crackers.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Ubisoft have finally found their target audience: Crackers.

I lol'd because it's true.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Conviction's DRM has been cracked now. 3ish days from release.

Lorek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yeah, crack is out already. So is Settlers 7's. And two different groups have released copy-past cracks for the new system. It's completely and utterly beaten, and therefore all that the DRM does is make people unable to play the game or give up buying it at all.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nobody cares

Well excuse me for not checking the forums every hour of the day. I'm going to assume from your deflection that you've got nothing to respond with.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »

Yeah they put out the next version of BD+ with the movie. AnyDVD has already been updated to crack everything but the South American and Australian versions. I love those guys.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Windows Live has had a shitty online DRM thing for a while, just today I wasn't able to use my GTA IV save games because it wouldn't log into Live and so it just started a new game on an "offline" profile. Fucking bullshit.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I didn't make up a statistic. I put an estimate on a statistic that I'd be willing to wager money on.

That's called making up a statistic.
    Which is the same things companies do.

If that were true I would be out of a job.

Saying others do it though does not make what you said any less a form of bullshit.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nobody cares

Well excuse me for not checking the forums every hour of the day. I'm going to assume from your deflection that you've got nothing to respond with.

Actually, I have provided plenty of good points, but your head seems to be impervious to common sense or logic.

It as funny, though, reading you call my educated guesses that are based on first hand experience bullshit or handwaving, and then you promptly pull a bunch of ignorant made up crap off your ass and call them estimates.

You made it very clear don't know anything about the subjects (piracy and business) at hand, and you are even incapable of making up with rhetoric (which I think is bullshit but at least display some intelligence).

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Windows Live has had a shitty online DRM thing for a while, just today I wasn't able to use my GTA IV save games because it wouldn't log into Live and so it just started a new game on an "offline" profile. Fucking bullshit.
    That's not really DRM, more of an obfuscation. You just have to move your logged in profile save (found in folder like this one C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\user_*) to the offline profile directory.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And really, the idea is to separate the save games of people running different profiles. Of course, they kind of ignored the part where Windows has been a multiuser environment for a considerable amount of time now, and re-implementing it is rather unnecessary.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That whole GFWL bullshit has killed my Batman completed save
    fuck GFWL
    why does it need to encrypt the saves and tie them to a specific installation of the user's profile, so that when I log in with the SAME user, on a new install, it declares my save is "corrupted".
    it's so amazingly retarded and useless, and it's a SINGLE PLAYER save, who the fuck CARES I mess around with my saves???

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »

That's not exactly DRM though, is it?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes it is, BluRay was hyped up because you could upgrade the security on it unlike CSS. They don't need upgrades to change the way they display video, its to upgrade/change security.

DarkWarrior on