As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Xbox360s in Three Years..

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Just thought I'd add my voice to the "Why the hell does my 360 fall apart" chorus. I bought a console a few months after launch; that one passed away in 2007. Then, after buying a ps3 for Christmas (primarily for the lack of region locks), I boot up my 360 yesterday to play Episodes from Liberty City. Fantastically fun, did a straight three hour session. Woke up this morning and it can't read ANY disks at all. Just always returns with an Open Tray message. Cleared the cache, unhooked the power cable, removed the hard drive... no use. Now i get the joy of paying 100 bucks to repair. Joy.

Thanks for letting me bitch guys.

NaturalNarcissist on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's already a thread about this, and two in three years is not that bad. I'm on my fourth since release.

e: Also, if you have money to burn, and would prefer to just get a new elite, that supposedly has most of these problems fixed (better CPU clip, better DVD driver), at one point GameStop was giving 100 bucks for broken 360's, and you can put that in credit towards a brand new one. I did this once, just to get a brand new...the one I currently have that hasn't broken yet after a year.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Or you could find someone in your area that will fix the issue for, more than likely, a lot less than $100.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really? Two in three years? Wow. How terrible.

I am on my fifth 360 since I got my first one September 2006. Enjoy your luck.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ArcathanArcathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've had mine since early 2008 and haven't had any problems. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Arcathan on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You'll know when things are starting to go down hill. Games will start freezing, you'll start getting disc read errors, the console itself will start making strange noises. They don't all always happen, but generally you'll get some combination of those warning signs when your shit starts to go south. Of course, there are always the "lucky" ones where they just turn it on one day and bam, RROD, with no warning.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Of course, there are always the "lucky" ones where they just turn it on one day and bam, RROD, with no warning.

I have had one of those.

I remember my first one. Was playing the Spider-Man 3 game and it froze as I was flying around a construction site. And not like a freeze. The screen got all kinds of fucked up. Chill right up my spine. Turned it back on to a RROD. I have yet to play that game again in fear of it hurting my baby again.

I had it RROD the week before the Halo 3 Beta. Also had it RROD/error code a few days before NHL10 came out.

After the recent RROD back in September, I did my research and got the newest model that uses the least power and all that jazz. Knock on wood, it still works. I think installing games helps tremendously too since it doesn't read from the disc that much (or at least it isn't as loud as it usually is).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I waited to buy until right after last holiday season and made sure I got the latest hardware revision. And whatever I'm playing I install to the hard drive to keep from spinning the disc, although I mainly do that because it sounds like a god damn jet engine.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just picked up an elite model about a week ago, I'm still on edge that it's going to crap out at some point in the future. So far I've installed everything to the hard drive. Does having your system sit horizontal or vertical seem to make any difference?

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just picked up an elite model about a week ago, I'm still on edge that it's going to crap out at some point in the future. So far I've installed everything to the hard drive. Does having your system sit horizontal or vertical seem to make any difference?

Seconded for wanting to know this. Got a new 360 over Christmas and the layout of my TV highly favors a vertical system.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why would you put it vertically? I just find that dumb, but to each their own.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Why would you put it vertically? I just find that dumb, but to each their own.

I currently have mine set horizontal but thought that maybe there would be better air flow if it was standing vertically. I'm not at home, so I'm not sure there are vents on the bottom of the unit or not....

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I find it funny that now we are calling lucky someone whose electronic device he bought failed for the second time in three years. I know many 360 owners had more console failures than he had (myself included), but, while there's not much we can do about it, and while the console has tons of fun games and I won't be kept from playing them... things just shouldn't break that much.

I guess we moved up to the state of acceptance.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aren't xboxes under warranty for two years because of these issues? How could you even go through two in three years?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget