As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

inexpensive camcorder

FeldornFeldorn MediocreRegistered User regular
Hey guys, dropping in here to ask some opinions on what you consider good camcorder brands.

I haven't done a ton of looking yet, as i have no idea what to even look for.

My little family is going to be growing soon and I'd like to be able to capture some of that in the future. I don't/won't have much money to spend on this item, but I'm thinking I should be able to find something decent for say, under $300

So really, I'm interested in your experiences and suggestions on who makes a decent camcorders and what things I should be looking for.

Feldorn on

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't have a specific brand suggestion. What I do want to pass on to you is how much I love flash memory based recorders. The Sony Handycam we have right now is really amazing but it is quite a bit out of your price range. There are several HD flash based camcorders in your price range but I don't have any experience with them.

Houndx on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, I might be crazy in setting that price, I know there are plenty in that range, I just don't know what quality I can expect from it.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A friend of mine has a couple of Filp cameras for her grade school students to use. Very easy to operate and video quality is pretty decent for as inexpensive as they are.

Saar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Steve's digicams has an active "hybrids" forum where you can find quite a bit of info on the cheaper brands/models.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    most of the sony handycam models seem to be well thought of, I might look at finding one used that is still in good shape.

but i'm still studying and reading reviews, so any other suggestions are welcome.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If we're talking about the same thing - hd flash memory handycams - I don't think you stand much chance of finding one used in your price range. Maybe some of the tape models, but man I'd rather record SD to flash than deal with transferring from tape to a pc.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SONY DCR-SX40 Silver 1/8" Advanced HAD CCD Sensor 2.7" 123K Wide Touch Panel LCD 60X Optical Zoom 4GB Flash Memory Handycam Camcorder

Saw this on newegg, thought it looked decent, looking for review right now. any thoughts on this guy?

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I were looking for a camcorder on the cheap I'd look awfully hard at this

Houndx on