Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Help me choose an external HD

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I come to you fine people of HA a blank slate.

After browsing new egg I noticed there isnt much a price difference between 500gb and 1tb so I am leaning towards the 1tb. This will be for a desktop machine so portability isnt a concern. Im only really using this to back files up I see some with options that you can hook them up to a tv to play movies off them?

Browsing reviews I started coming across a lot of things I am ignorant of..
just to list a few
fat32?
ntfs?
RPM? - how fast the drive writes? new egg doesnt always make this info available under specs just saw some reviewers commenting on it or noticed it in the title of the product
eSATA? an alternative to USB im reading Im guessing ill have no use for it as it requires a specifc type of port for you computer?

Really any other general advice on things to look for would be a huge help

Specific model recommendations very much welcomed

thanks guys

Kendeathwalker on

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fat32 and NTFS are different ways to partition the space on your drive (I believe).

eSATA is just an external SATA connection that functions like a USB port only the connection allows for faster transfer of data.

edit: as for models, I've never had a problem with a Western Digital or Samsung HD