As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Well, I'm screwed ($900 charge for a typo?!)

WalterWalter Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I payed my tuition about a week and a half ago by echeck. The check never cleared, so I pulled up the payment and it turns out in the account number I accidentally included the check number also. If you look at a check you can see that, while stupid, it probably happens on occasion. The check number is right next to the account number and only separated by a little symbol.

Now I have a $900 charge on my account (as of this morning) and I'm waiting to hear back from student services. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I'm primarily at fault here but fuck, why wouldn't the echeck service have a character limit on the account number? I can't be the first person to have done this.

FYI, The university uses some third party echeck service to process payments. I'm not sure if the charge originates from them or the school.

Walter on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, you did the right thing by contacting student services. Make sure you're playing the "I just checked to see why the check hadn't cleared and saw this, can we get this cleared up?" angle, rather than the "your system sucks" - no matter how correct the latter is. :P

If the school won't or can't help you, go to the eCheck company.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If the charge originates from the school, you can likely convince them to take it off since the information was accurate, albeit given in a different format than they wanted

If it was me, I'd just call whoever did the thing and say, "$900 for a typo? Really?" If that didn't suffice, I would ask for their supervisor

Don't pay it, these sorts of things can be waived fairly easily as long as it's understood that it was a simple mistake and not a bad check

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also whether talking to phonejockeys or pencil pushers, if they don't have the authority to say Yes, they don't have the authority to say No. Keep going up the chain.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why is there a $900 fee for a 2 week delay?

Phone and complain. Ask them why it's $900. I don't see how interest and an administration fee could be that high, it should be $100 or waived completely.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sweet. Normally I would just suck it up and avoid confrontation but I can't afford this and can't see the sense in it.

Walter on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also whether talking to phonejockeys or pencil pushers, if they don't have the authority to say Yes, they don't have the authority to say No. Keep going up the chain.

This!

In fact, the first person you talk to likely is there to reduce the number of times the supervisor has to answer the phone, but they probably can't help you

Establish whether they have the authority to do what you need quickly, and if not make it clear that you'd like to speak to their superior

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Walter wrote: »
    Now I have a $900 charge on my account (as of this morning) and I'm waiting to hear back from student services. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I'm primarily at fault here but fuck, why wouldn't the echeck service have a character limit on the account number? I can't be the first person to have done this.

How do you have a $900 charge for being late on a tuition payment? That's ridiculous, but anyway, generally speaking as long as you made a good faith effort to make a payment you can get charges like this reversed, make an effort.

I had to have a lawyer send a letter in a similar situation, totally worth it.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

How do you have a $900 charge for being late on a tuition payment? That's ridiculous, but anyway, generally speaking as long as you made a good faith effort to make a payment you can get charges like this reversed, make an effort.

Its not a late fee. Essentially, since I gave the wrong account number, I bounced a 24K check.

Walter on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Its not a late fee. Essentially, since I gave the wrong account number, I bounced a 24K check.

no you didn't. You didn't write a check on an empty account, they failed to process it. Don't let someone treat this as an "NSF" or "bounced" check.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    no you didn't. You didn't write a check on an empty account, they failed to process it. Don't let someone treat this as an "NSF" or "bounced" check.

This. Only about five seconds of cursory investigation on their part would have resulted in the check going through just fine. You furnished them with the correct information - you should not be charged for it.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

This. Only about five seconds of cursory investigation on their part would have resulted in the check going through just fine. You furnished them with the correct information - you should not be charged for it.

Well, no... he did give them the wrong acount number. How are they supposed to know that he accidenally added a check number onto it? There is no way they could have known. There's no fixed number of digits for account numbers. Hell, at the credit union I work for, it can be anywhere from four to ten digits.
    This is absolutely the OP's mistake.

Now! I also agree that he should be off the hook for paying some $900 fee (I assume it must be proportional to the amount of the transaction), but this isn't the school's error.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There is no way this is a $900 NSF.

What "account" is this $900 charge on? Your university account, meaning they say you owe an extra $900 on top of the regular tuition?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    There is no way this is a $900 NSF.

What "account" is this $900 charge on? Your university account, meaning they say you owe an extra $900 on top of the regular tuition?

Yes, my university account shows an extra $900 fee. It literally just says "University charge - $900" The office was zero help. I asked for a call and got a one sentence e-mail back, saying that my previous balance of 0.00 will return to -24K tonight. Not really helpful at all. I'll be going in tomorrow to talk personally.

I was unaware that there wasn't a standard length to account numbers. I'm betting they'll cut me some slack. There is no way I am the first person to type in an account number wrong. For now, I have paid the original tuition amount but not the fee. I'd rather argue about giving them the money than argue about them giving back the money.

Walter on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    $900 is pretty harsh, but you probably shouldn't expect too much slack. You basically pulled a high-tech variation of the ol' send the electricity check to the gas company trick, even if it was by mistake.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    $900 is pretty harsh, but you probably shouldn't expect too much slack. You basically pulled a high-tech variation of the ol' send the electricity check to the gas company trick, even if it was by mistake.

The electricity company then doesn't get your house!

This is a disproportionate penalty and something you will need to keep pushing at.

It's astonishing what you can achieve with institutions if you keep pushing. I'm indefatigable and I have pushed companies into doing all sorts of things.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.