As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[game on]Sectoids in Uranus! X-Com

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Or conversely, everyone bring a blaster bomb launcher and lets rape this town.

Well, if everyone has Blaster Launchers, nothing is particularly fair. At that point, you execute Operation Blindfire.

True, but are cryslaliids particularly fair? I would pose that they are not.

Nothing stops Operation Blindfire.

New Delhi needed a few less buildings anyhow.

Also: that ship didn't really need its roof (or control room, entertainment facility, really anything but the engines), dammit.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or conversely, everyone bring a blaster bomb launcher and lets rape this town.

Well, if everyone has Blaster Launchers, nothing is particularly fair. At that point, you execute Operation Blindfire.

True, but are cryslaliids particularly fair? I would pose that they are not.

Nothing stops Operation Blindfire.

New Delhi needed a few less buildings anyhow.

X-Com. Promoting Urban Renewal!

Arrath on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arise my son...

Anyhow, I noticed a game called UFO: Extraterrestrials is on sale on Steam this weekend. It looks similar to X-Com. Has anyone here played it? Is it anything like our favourite rape simu....I uh mean turn based strat game?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, can't believe I unzipped it to the wrong directory. Didn't see the XCOM directory in the "xcom ufo defense" folder.

Okay, so now I have it working, with the modified base setup. (Hangars at the top, lift by those, to make it easier to defend.) Thing is, I told it to use the stat-strings, and to save equipment after each mission, and it isn't. Do I have to enable something in-game to make that work?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After my first couple of playthroughs, using anything better than laser weapons and std. power armor felt too easy. i might try an automatic weapons/RL/autocannon playthrough to see how it goes.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Arise my son...

Anyhow, I noticed a game called UFO: Extraterrestrials is on sale on Steam this weekend. It looks similar to X-Com. Has anyone here played it? Is it anything like our favourite rape simu....I uh mean turn based strat game?

With mods, its quite good. Without, its all right but has a few odd quirks (soldiers can't totally die unless you fail a mission entirely, for example).

Phoenix-D on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've also heard that there are 4-5 more levels of technology, rather than just Bullet->Laser->Plasma.

I haven't played it yet, but my brother gifted it to me over Steam, so once I get some Battlefield Bad Company 2 in, I'll start the download.

MechMantis on
    edited February 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I've also heard that there are 4-5 more levels of technology, rather than just Bullet->Laser->Plasma.

I haven't played it yet, but my brother gifted it to me over Steam, so once I get some Battlefield Bad Company 2 in, I'll start the download.

There are! Along with progressively nastier aliens to go with it. Plus other neat toys like nerve gas grenades and flamethrowers. Its a much longer game than X-Com in general.

Phoenix-D on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wish my CDs would install this game 8(

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just get the X-Com Total Pack.

Edith Upwards on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    holy shit... alien base assault, everyone dies three or four rounds in, except for my laser tank and two guys in personal armour and laser rifles, one of whom is a rookie. Rookie proceeds to rack up 9 kills, 9 dead Mutons, even when the laser tank and compadre bit it shortly afterward.

This one guy, Shinji somebodyorother-u, took down the alien base by himself. Rating: Excellent!

He's now a Squaddie.

Iriah on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Promotion system is MIND BOGGLER.

Drake on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You gotta earn them ranks through menial labor, alien killing and backbreaking insanity!

Or just sit in the skyranger all game

Or level a whole town, hell who cares anymore here's a medal.

SkutSkut on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Just finished UFO: Aftermath and am now installing Aftershock.

These games were always solid, but after years of patches and fan support they are now excellent.

Best part is that the UFO: After* trilogy really strokes the squad love mechanics. In X-com they really tried to make you think of your soldiers as $ signs. In this trilogy they put a lot of RPG mechanics into the soldiers so you can enjoy watching them evolve as the game goes on.

TekDragon on
  • LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By the way, what do you guys think of the fan project UFO: Alien Invasion?

Doesn't quite have the atmosphere of X-com, but seems quite close to source material in terms of gameplay.

LionEyez on
    edited February 2010
    Any tips on how to get the stat-strings and remembering equipment settings with XcomUtil? I can't find anything on how to figure it out.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2010
    You can't blow shit up. That's a major minus to me. :P

Other than that it seemed OK when I tried it, if a little into the "we must have real guns and ALL OF THEM" thing.

Also they disable saving in certain spots. Again, big minus.

Phoenix-D on
    edited February 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Good news! He's now a Captain. And still kicking ass.

Iriah on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Iriah wrote: »

You just know that one of these days he's going to step out of the skyranger and get headshotted by a sectoid.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited February 2010

You just know that one of these days he's going to step out of the skyranger and get headshotted by a sectoid.

Nah, that's never how those guys go down. Some rookie will go beserk and shoot him, or die with a primed grenade just a liiitle too close.

Or he'll turn out to have a PSI skill of like 3.

Phoenix-D on
    edited February 2010

he's been on so many missions that the urge to save scum is overwhelming as fuck. How do you guys avoid it?

(the worst part is that if someone dies, it seems that their armour and weapons disappear. why the hell does that happen?)

Iriah on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

he's been on so many missions that the urge to save scum is overwhelming as fuck. How do you guys avoid it?

(the worst part is that if someone dies, it seems that their armour and weapons disappear. why the hell does that happen?)

The weapons shouldn't really matter, the armor is...

Well, it's Plasma weaponry and it probably like, fuses the armor to the body.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Nah, that's never how those guys go down. Some rookie will go beserk and shoot him, or die with a primed grenade just a liiitle too close.

Or he'll turn out to have a PSI skill of like 3.

This just happened to my last commander. he was amazing, had a psi skill of 4. Fuck. Another dude had a psi skill of 0, he is so coming to Cydonia (no joke, his name is now sponge).

In other news I just landed on mars.

TheGerbil on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I lucked out with my commander... he was the God-Emperor. 80% autoshot standing up? Sure, why not! Damn near immune to Psi-attacks? Oh yeah. Psi god himself? Yup! I think he also lived through a Blaster Bomb...

Having someone survive from the very first mission all the way to Mars is actually pretty badass. I miss it so much! The badassness that is.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited February 2010
    read the XCOM let's play on somethingawful... two guys from the first mission made it to the last. of those, one was a tank driver, the other had his stats edited in the game file.

good read though.

edit: also, I'm becoming tired of sending teams after each and every ufo that crashes. what happens if I just let my planes shot down all the incoming UFOs? anything bad?

Iriah on
    edited February 2010
    She wasn't around the first mission but I had, swear to god, a captain take 2 bombs to the face in the same mission and live.

She was then gunned down by a panicked rookie.

SkutSkut on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get the stat-strings and remembering equipment settings with XcomUtil? I can't find anything on how to figure it out.

There's another mod somewhere that puts stats right on the equip page and remembers equipment and allows you to reorder soldier positions in the Skyranger.. posted a few pages back, I think.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    edit: also, I'm becoming tired of sending teams after each and every ufo that crashes. what happens if I just let my planes shot down all the incoming UFOs? anything bad?

I don't know the exact points and stuff, but I do know you can keep countries happy just by shooting down UFOs and keeping the skies clean, without the need to visit each crash site.

In my last game barely any UFOs were surviving long in the late game, but I was skipping the sites and only going after the occasional landed supply ship. Most countries still seemed pretty pleased with my efforts.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chrysalids... I forgot how much I hate you.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited February 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

There's another mod somewhere that puts stats right on the equip page and remembers equipment and allows you to reorder soldier positions in the Skyranger.. posted a few pages back, I think.

So the fix is... don't use XComUtil!

Hokay, I'll check back and use that mod. Any idea how it interacts with XComUtil, or will I need to uninstall/reinstall? Not that it takes long.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2010
    how the hell do I train psi? I have a laboratory... where's the start button?

Iriah on
    edited February 2010
    I have been trying to get a good video screen capture with this. I am using cam studio, and every time I try, the game just has really off coloring, i can't see the globe, and the menu on the side is all red and yellow as if the colors inverted.

I'm using the old X-Com and not the STEAM version. The one that uses the xcomfix file. Might this be the reason why I'm having issues? I'm using camstudio.

I'm guessing it has to do with the XP fix on the old version. I'm going to try purchasing the STEAM version.

Dignified Pauper on
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how the hell do I train psi? I have a laboratory... where's the start button?

You'll get the option for Psi training at the start of each month.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    cheers. by the way, that rookie I mentioned? the one who is now a captain with 30 kills? psi skill of 98.

Iriah on
    edited February 2010
    cheers. by the way, that rookie I mentioned? the one who is now a captain with 30 kills? psi skill of 98.

Blasterbombed, or unfortunate accident in a snakeman base. callin it now.

SkutSkut on
    edited February 2010
    I personally hope he gets turned into a zombie by a chrysalid.

Dignified Pauper on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He must never leave the ship. Scout with everyone else, use him for PSI.

This is not the SAS. "Who dares, gets eaten by a Reaper."

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My new commander is an utter badass, he was promoted shortly after my last one died and right before I headed to Cydonia (which I am in the middle of, will have to finish tonight). 92 psi strenght, high strength, bravery, accuracy, movement.... mmmmmm... gotta avoid those damn terror units.

TheGerbil on
  • AstrocookieAstrocookie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    A long time ago there was going to be a Men In Black game in a similar style to X-Com where you build bases and fly around the world killing aliens in turn based combats but it was scrapped.

Astrocookie on
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I thought 'Hey, it's been aaages since I last played X-Com'.

Fired it up and everything was going alright, produced some Laser Rifles, Alien Alloys. My first couple of mop-up missions were a great success.

Then a blip shows up on my radar..it's a biggie.

I lost one Interceptor, my second barely managed to take it down before being blown up. I landed at the crash site not knowing what awaited me.

At first it was going alright, killed six aliens with minor casualties. Then as soon as I entered the UFO everything went tits up.

One of my guys got Mind Controlled and proceeded to kill three other guys around him. Shit. So, I unloaded a few more guys to deal with the situation. The MC'd guy killed one of them and the shit really hit the fan. Everyone either went Berserk, was under Alien Control or dead. Mission Failed.

I now have no Interceptors, no Skyranger, a handful of Soldiers who were left at the base.

Plasma Rifles are awesome, until your guys start firing them at each other.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;