As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[game on]Sectoids in Uranus! X-Com

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Yeah, Psi Strength does not change. Psi Skill does however.

Its best to sack weak Psi Strength units, as they will just cause you problems later on.

Or make sure to never give them a damn gun and make them psi sinks.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Lower the difficulty. Edit your save file so your soldiers all have 90 psi defence. Abuse save/loading.

I promise you that you will STILL have tons of fun blasting holes in floater faces with plasma.

Nah, one of the draws for X-Com is that every time I play through I get better. I learn more. It's very Rogue-ish in that regard. Ballbusting even at the easiest difficulty, yet fair. Learning to manage the options is half the fun, for me anyway.

So I'm also going to get frustrated and you'll see me Hurgh-Argh every once in a while. If you hear shit breaking, you'll know I'm really having fun.

Drake on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've heard alien bases tend to start on the poles, does this seem to be the case? I have three bases with large radars in southeast asia, north america, and europe considering another in either africa or South America but there are way too many fucking UFO's flying over southeast asia for my liking.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My last game, the first base was in North Africa.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a limited number of locations where Aliens build bases. They all tend to be within a few degrees of lat/long from about a dozen or so spots around the globe. This is especially noticeable in the late game, if you let them build multiple bases, you'll end up with little clusters or bases rebuilt very close to a spot you've cleared out before.

I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but there's like one spot on the West African coast, one near Borneo, one in the Amazon, and one near the Himalayas. That's only a few of them, though, there's definitely way more.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's one near Antarctica, Hawaii, Canada, and a few other places too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Freaking aliens all up in my grill!

What exactly is the order of research you need to eventually be able to make it to mars? I am having a hard time finding it in the wiki.

edit: going through the alien ship floor plans in the wiki leads me now know that the LAST THREE UFOs I captured were all supply ships. So there is definitely a base somewhere.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All the ship research and an Avenger ship is what you need I'm 90% certain.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Freaking aliens all up in my grill!

What exactly is the order of research you need to eventually be able to make it to mars? I am having a hard time finding it in the wiki.

edit: going through the alien ship floor plans in the wiki leads me now know that the LAST THREE UFOs I captured were all supply ships. So there is definitely a base somewhere.

Live Alien -> Alien Origins -> Live Leader -> Martian Solution -> Live Commander -> Cydonia or Bust

UFO Power Source + UFO Navigation -> UFO Construction (Firestorm) -> I forget the name (Lightning) -> Ultimate Craft (Avenger)

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh so you have to go firestorm-->lightning--> avenger? Can't skip anything there?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Silly question, but I have been swimming in work and haven't been able to play, but before I forget: Does the game "end" at some point, I mean, without the obvious invasion of Mars and the game over situations (Two negative month reports on a row, all bases invaded.)? Can I continue battling the alien menace until the year 3000?

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think if you end x months consecutively in debt you lose.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think he's more wondering if it'll end after a period of time. I think the game just eventually drowns you in UFO's and you give up and go to mars.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think he's more wondering if it'll end after a period of time. I think the game just eventually drowns you in UFO's and you give up and go to mars.

Well, at some point, theoretically, the costs will overrun you. Maybe you also lose if every country abandons X-COM, but I've never found out.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you lose all sponsors, go 2 months in a row with negative income, or lose all your bases you'll get a game over.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    If you lose all sponsors, go 2 months in a row with negative income, or lose all your bases you'll get a game over.

Wait, you mean where you lose money on the first? That happens twice in a row and you lose?

Or just are in debt at the first of the month?

Because I was planning on basically funding myself through acquired weapons and engineers making stuff. If I'm going to lose because of salaries being too high, I'll be pretty pissed.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Wait, you mean where you lose money on the first? That happens twice in a row and you lose?

Or just are in debt at the first of the month?

Because I was planning on basically funding myself through acquired weapons and engineers making stuff. If I'm going to lose because of salaries being too high, I'll be pretty pissed.

It's debt at the end of the month. Selling crap is the only way to keep the cash flow positive, usually.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    At the rollover I think, if you go positive during the month you're fine but I think you have to make sure you hit that positive after the rollover.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh so you have to go firestorm-->lightning--> avenger? Can't skip anything there?

You have to research all three in that order, but the only one you need to build is the avenger.

I usually don't build a lightning, because the avenger is greatly superior, and it's the very next research option. I skip power armor in favor of flying armor for the same reason.

TFTD draws out the research process more, so it's not a waste to build the intermediate sub and armor options.

Fanda on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Its best to sack weak Psi Strength units, as they will just cause you problems later on.

I always tried to make a non-PSI squad that I could use against aliens that I knew wouldn't be able to exploit their weakness. Am I the only one?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I always tried to make a non-PSI squad that I could use against aliens that I knew wouldn't be able to exploit their weakness. Am I the only one?

Nope, that's something I do too. Low psi troops go into my second team and spend their time battling Mutons, Snakemen, Floaters and smaller Sectoid vessels.

Always seemed pointless to me to throw out a dude with a dozen kills, 80 accuracy and 70 TU just because he couldn't fight a certain subset of missions.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So its really just larger setoid ships and the ethereals you have to watch out for? I've heard Psi attacks are pretty rape in this game, and that they were toned down in TFTD.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So its really just larger setoid ships and the ethereals you have to watch out for? I've heard Psi attacks are pretty rape in this game, and that they were toned down in TFTD.

Hahahahaha.

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha.

No.

Not at all.

Well, maybe. But on the other hand:

Lobstermen. And flying Chryssalids of doom.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hahahahaha.

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha.

No.

Not at all.

Well, maybe. But on the other hand:

Lobstermen. And flying Chryssalids of doom.

I had only heard that Psi was nerfed. Dunno, never got that far in this game and haven't played TFTD yet...

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't think it was (and is the only way to win the game, really: fuck you, T'leth). And the rest of the game is just such a brutal rapefest it's unbelievable.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They really turned it up to 11 did they?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait wait.

FLYING Chryssalids?!

Did I read that right? I just ran into fucking running ones here in UFO. Fuck trying to fight ones that can fly.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Wait wait.

FLYING Chryssalids?!

Did I read that right? I just ran into fucking running ones here in UFO. Fuck trying to fight ones that can fly.

They also have 144 TUs. Enjoy!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Wait wait.

FLYING Chryssalids?!

They also have 144 TUs. Enjoy!

Wait what? Holy fuck. Are they still dumb like Chrysillids and just wail on one dude the whole time of their turn though?

Cause if they target multiple dudes....

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just started UFO Defense, and I am so lost. Is the game considered hard because they literally throw you in the game without telling you anything?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I just started UFO Defense, and I am so lost. Is the game considered hard because they literally throw you in the game without telling you anything?

No, it's hard because of other stuff.

Did you read the manual? The initial walkthrough it gives you is actually pretty decent as far as getting started is concerned.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I literally started this game last week. Its tricky but between the wiki and the manual you can get going.

Its hard because... of the rape.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No. Even with massive amounts of information you will die.

Also, if using xcomutil, don't use the alien research thingy or improved weapons. Trust me on this one.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    The main reason I used X-util was for the difficulty fix. I left the starting base intact.

The first attack I went from sixteen soldier to four rookies pretty fast. I had to kill the sectoid commander with a rocket from point blank range to save everyone else.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Losing a bunch of mans on your first mission is pretty common.

Same is true for your 20th mission.

And 40th.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And 40th.

Oh, I know that. I was just frustrated at the unlikeliness of that shot.

And I'm actually pretty good at not loosing too many people. Which is impressive, because we still don't have armor. If you go around corners slowly and make doors instead of using preexisting ones, you can actually cut down on losses a lot. I only lost two or three guys last terror mission.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And 40th.

We don't fight this war just for us, but for our children and our children's children! That's why I'm forming a Children's Brigade!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So there is like 3 very large alien infiltration UFO's hovering over South east asia. These dudes are giant cocks. (I just got my Hyper Wave decoder up, well 3 so far)

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I started a new game last night. I sent one of my squad members past the open door of a barn. She got dropped by a sectoid shooting through the window on the other side of the barn. What the hell. He was just camping that window in case someone walked by the barn?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sectoids are the original Griefers/Campers of the video game world

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png