As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MP3 Player Suggestions

General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
What is a good MP3 player that isn't an iPod?

Something around 200$ CAD would be lovely.

I really don't have any other criteria other than no iPod.

I should mention I guess that this is for my girlfriend and the K.I.S.S rules apply.

Alternatively. Is there a way to get Windows iTunes to work with WMA that doesn't involve re-encoding my entire music collection?

tf2_sig.png
General_Win on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    16 gig zune hd is sexy comes in at $189
    you can't go wrong with a zune 120 either which you could also get around $200 too

*those are US dollars which from my understanding are close to CAD

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I for one enjoy my Zune. If space is an issue, the 16 GB you can get on a ZuneHD is good.

If you need more space, consider getting a second-hand Zune (they come in numerous sizes) or just one that wasn't sold (you can still find them). I'll probably be selling my Zune 80 (which is still in fine, working condition) for far less than $200 once I get around to it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I believe there is some issue getting Zunes in Canada :( I was coming here to continue the Zune praise.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Immediately checking Amazon Canada (just off the top of my head), you can buy the flash Zunes no problem. A red Zune 8 is CDN$ 149.47.

A little small for my tastes, I'd say go eBay and find someone who didn't mind shipping to Canada.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you have an ipod, you could rockbox it to be compatible with most formats. (except audible)

In fact, the last couple of mp3 players I've bought has been shipping from looking at the rockbox compatible list. It's that awesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Buy:
    An 8gb player with a microSD slot and good support for it ($100 or less)
    + this
    + a 32gb SD card (~$100)
    + some double-sided tape
    = a 40gb flash-based mp3 player for $200 or less that also has infinite space depending how many SD cards you want to take with you!

Also, this is a good site: http://anythingbutipod.com/

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Most of these are all good and non-judgmental ideas.

The Zune recently started shipping to Canada, I think last year or the year before.

Space isn't really an issue, 8 gigs will be more than enough, probably, we won't be storing the entirety of our music collection.

I am going to google rockbox, and check out, anythingbutipod.com

On further inspection, rockbox seems a little overkill, BUT I'm glad those open source nerds are hard at work on this. We don't want them going out and finding suitable mates.

Corky that is the hackiest setup for an mp3 player! I should mention I guess that this is for my girlfriend and the K.I.S.S rules apply.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Most of these are all good and non-judgmental ideas.

The Zune recently started shipping to Canada, I think last year or the year before.

Space isn't really an issue, 8 gigs will be more than enough, probably, we won't be storing the entirety of our music collection.

I am going to google rockbox, and check out, anythingbutipod.com

On further inspection, rockbox seems a little overkill, BUT I'm glad those open source nerds are hard at work on this. We don't want them going out and finding suitable mates.

Corky that is the hackiest setup for an mp3 player! I should mention I guess that this is for my girlfriend and the K.I.S.S rules apply.

Nahh microsoft totally fucked Canada with the zune. They brought it over, kept saying "don't worry we'll launch the zune store eventually" never did, then after a year completely pulled out. Retailers are just selling old stock now.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm that would explain the lack of options at retailers.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the Zune's great, but if you don't have the Zune Marketplace, it seems largely pointless to me. If you don't mind being locked into the Zune software, then go ahead and get it anyway.

A list of portable media players:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_portable_media_players

Archos, Cowon, Zen and Sansa are some names to look at.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll be pretty much going into my local BestBuy/Futureshop with the lady and picking out some stuff.

I've never seen a Cowon or an Archos. Zen is Creative and that makes me weary. Sansa is probably what we'll go for. Easy to load up, no software needed.

Drag and drop is pretty much what I'm looking for.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My girlfriend just got a Sansa Clip+, it might be too tiny for some, but I can't see anything going wrong with it and it has a MicroSD slot. Drag / Drop support and support for syncing via programs.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Yeah, the Zune's great, but if you don't have the Zune Marketplace, it seems largely pointless to me. If you don't mind being locked into the Zune software, then go ahead and get it anyway.

A list of portable media players:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_portable_media_players

Archos, Cowon, Zen and Sansa are some names to look at.

I started using the Zune without the Marketplace option (in fact, I rarely use it because...well, I don't listen to that much music).

Why? Well, the screens are consistently awesome (the Zune HD takes it to a new level), though that won't matter if you don't care about visuals/only listen to music. For pidgeonhole software, Zune's works considerably better than iTunes (though that's like saying crackers taste better than raw sewage, it's not a high bar to overcome), and I like having a wireless browser.

However, it's very possible you won't feel the same way. Keep these features in mind, and figure out if they're important to you. Archos and Creative are both good brands to go with, as is Samsung.

Synthesis on