As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Issues

Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, I am currently using a Dlink 524 router and my rig which is in my room is on the wireless end(The little USB adapter reciever). Now my parents signed up for Rogers Lite which is the slowest speed you can get, 167kb if i remember correctly I might be wrong. Now my problem is I keep losing signal A LOT I was wondering if this could be attributed to my router being horrible or my broadband speed or both. The router and modem are in the living room which is about 20 meters away from my room( We are in an apartment complex with other wireless modems if this helps but they are all encrypted). This kind of stuff makes sing the internet a horrible experiance making everything rushed in fear of losing signal, it also doesnt help when trying to play WoW or any other game.

Prot3us on

• Options
    ApolloTreatingYouApolloTreatingYou __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I am having a very similar problem right now. It won't connect unless I manually click "connect" in the connection screen. It loads the internet ok but WoW is just a dissconnection hell. I have no idea why as I have never had a single problem.

ApolloTreatingYou on
    no you cannot have a sig that size. especially with compression that crappy.
  • Options
    MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    While I don't know how well this would apply to you, I have a similar model Dlink router that used to crash and have to reboot every time I ran bittorrent or another heavy bandwidth/connections application. The most recent firmware fixed things for me, however.

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have the recent update, about the rebooting issue my situation is even more peculiar in that I have to restart my computer to get the connection again. Now im not new to computers but this has to have a detrimental effect on my computer over time. Sometimes I have to restart 5 to 10 times till I get a signal for some reason it won't just detect it again and let me click connect etc.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have issues like that as well with a D-Link router. I have the newest firmware as well and it didn't change anything. I'm on wireless and I lose signal all the time while people wired to the router don't have any problems.

_X_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Man this is fucking beyond annoying. Does anyone know anything special I need to do to set this up... It says signal "good" constantly but it's obviously loosing signal completely pretty frequently.

ApolloTreatingYou on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ^^ Just like me, full bars and it drops like a sack of bricks. Bad analogy...but thats what it does.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Prot3us wrote:
    ^^ Just like me, full bars and it drops like a sack of bricks. Bad analogy...but thats what it does.

By trying to figure out where the owner of this house has the router, I came to the conclusion that it's on the other side of the house in his room. This means that I'm just getting a horrible horrible signal from a distance away. Not sure what I can do about this but I guess I'll have to wait to talk to him about it.

Guess I won't get to play WoW tonight...

ApolloTreatingYou on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Looks like theres no fix other than getting a better router and or speed package.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    RFXRFX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try switching your router to another channel. Since there are other wireless networks, they may be interfering with one another. For more information look at the thread here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073843335

RFX on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RFX wrote:
    Try switching your router to another channel. Since there are other wireless networks, they may be interfering with one another. For more information look at the thread here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073843335

Oh thankyou I thought I was going to have to type that all out again.

Ruckus on