As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proof of Identity for working

ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm applying for a job, and my ID is out of date and I do not have access to my social security card. I do have my birth certificate, and am curious to see if this would be considered acceptable as a a proof of identity. I also have various other sources of ID, including my Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma card.

Scrum on

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    although drivers licenses are typically tossed around when showing "state ID" it is entirely possible to get state ID that exists solely for the purpose of identification, at least in most places.

employers don't need to see your social security card, but they will need your social security number at some point. I don't think I've ever shown my boss any ID now that I think of it.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, I have my social security number memorized, and my last ID was a non-driver's licence ID but it is both missing and long past expired. In order to replace it, I would need to replace my social security card first (which I am in the process of). I am curious if a birth certificate would be acceptable as a proof of identity for a potential employer, as I have access to that and it would save me the trouble of having to deal with both the social security office and the DMV.

Scrum on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In the US a Birth Certificate can take the place of a Social Security Card you are however going to need to present a List B document in addition. This will have to be a government issued ID. You will not be able to have a I-9 completed with a List C document without a List B. If they use E-Verify they will not be able to do that until you have completed an I-9.

If you have a valid passport that is List A then that will work alone.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf

I was incredible anal with this when I was staffing. There isn't a good reason to not have proper ID and I wasn't going to get into trouble with the feds due to improperly completed paperwork.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright, thanks I kind of figured as much but one can hope. Looks like I'm off to the social security office and the DMV tomorrow, hopefully it's not as horrible as the last time I was there ( 3 hour wait only to be told they accept tribal cards from everyone BUT the Choctaw as ID forms).

Scrum on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    Alright, thanks I kind of figured as much but one can hope. Looks like I'm off to the social security office and the DMV tomorrow, hopefully it's not as horrible as the last time I was there ( 3 hour wait only to be told they accept tribal cards from everyone BUT the Choctaw as ID forms).

Did you see the list on VisionOfClarity's link? If you have a birth certifiacte, then you could get by with say a School ID with photo or voter registration card. It also says "Native American tribal document", but isn't really specific about what that means.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I actually didn't because this computer doesn't like pdfs. Would an old school ID from High School work for this? Also, my birth certificate doesn't have my social on it (I don't think any do) would simply knowing my social security number work as long as I have picture ID and my birth certificate? Ah, yes it would! Thanks so much, I did not want to have to wait another 14 days to get a job.

Scrum on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not in my experience. Although I just read the PDF and it said that a school ID with a photo was acceptable.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/backgroundcheck/a/background_2.htm

All Id's must still be valid and cannot be expired.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [edit] beat'd

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah, shit. Would a Native American tribal card without a picture work? It doesn't specify.

Scrum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    Ah, shit. Would a Native American tribal card without a picture work? It doesn't specify.

Man, I have no idea. I went and looked though the employer's handbook for the I9, and there's no breakdown on what is meant by "Native American Tribal Document". It's got all these pictures and examples for pretty much all the other things on the list. ¬_¬

If you ask me [read: everything after here is me talking out my ass] that should be fine. Just act like its perfectly acceptable, i'm pretty sure they'll just shrug and say okay.
    The I9 is just a cover-your-ass form for employees so they can say "see! I didn't know he was illegal," and since I'm assuming you're leagally able to be employed in the US, no one's gonna care if your ID isn't exactly up the standards. At the very worst you'll be told at some point to update it.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright, thanks I'll try it an hope they don't care. It's only a grocery store, after all. I have my social security number on a bond statement, and the last time I went to update my ID they wouldn't take that as proof of my social number because it didn't have the establishment name on it for whatever reason. All of my bank statements and work stubs have all but the last four numbers blotted out. Is there any way to request a bank statement without the numbers listed as x's, or would that also require my ID social card? This has been a major pain in the ass for me ever since I lost my identification in a recent move.
    EDIT: Update on forms; I called my parents, and they have an SAT form of mine that has my social security number listed on it, as well as a transcript from Humboldt State University that has it. The website and the people at the DMV indicated that a form like this would be acceptable as proof of my social security so hopefully I can use that to get my ID if my potential employer decides my other forms of identification are not acceptable.

Scrum on