Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

1575859606163»

Posts

  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About the Reapers:
    It's so crazy how old they are! I mean, yes, if they do a mass extinction every fifty thousand years they must be super old, but at LEAST 37 million years? Holy crap! That's a lot of mass extinctions! (740)

    My main problem with this is that
    Many, if not all, of the resources in planets that can be easily mined, would have been done so by the countless civilizations that have risen and were destroyed over that period of time.

    The thing is, these minerals and elements don't just magically regenerate in 50k years. Even with the sheer number of planets in the galaxy to harvest; after a few dozen civilizations got wiped out you'd think scientists in the next civilization would notice that there was a dwindling amount of resources harvest and that this had been going on for some time.

    Even if they have only been doing it for, lets say, 50 million years; though it is implied it has been going on a lot longer, that's 1000 civilizations to rise and fall. And not just like a single planet spreading out and figuring out the relays. Likely many situations like the one presented in the "current" time in ME where there are many sapient species that have developed space travel and have completely overtaken the galaxy.

    Shit would run out fast.

    Like...whole planets mined to the core.

    It just seems like something that would have stuck out to archaeologists at some point, is all I'm saying.

    One difference -
    New civilizations are developing on different worlds. It seems the Reapers don't wipe out everyone, just the most evolved species. Earth was left alone throughout previous cullings, for example.

    Right, but
    Take planet surveying for example. You just fly around and survey shit that will presumably be mined at some point.

    An intelligent race would strip mine uninhabitable planets and leave the garden worlds to be populated completely without having to stress too much about resource degradation.

    It is likely that past species would have done the same and would likely have picked similar uninhabitable planets.

    It would have probably left noticeable scars. Particularly after several thousand civilizations. Something survey teams would probably pick up on after yet another planet that is half gone, or has clear signs of resource stripping.

    The reapers might do some cleanup but if they leave ruins from previous civilizations on their most populated planets I'm sure they're not worried about flattening out some rocks on random uninhabited planet.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - 360.png Galedrid - PSN.png Galedrid
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand - FFXI.png Kingshand - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045

  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    C0urtland wrote: »
    About the Reapers:
    It's so crazy how old they are! I mean, yes, if they do a mass extinction every fifty thousand years they must be super old, but at LEAST 37 million years? Holy crap! That's a lot of mass extinctions! (740)

    My main problem with this is that
    Many, if not all, of the resources in planets that can be easily mined, would have been done so by the countless civilizations that have risen and were destroyed over that period of time.

    The thing is, these minerals and elements don't just magically regenerate in 50k years. Even with the sheer number of planets in the galaxy to harvest; after a few dozen civilizations got wiped out you'd think scientists in the next civilization would notice that there was a dwindling amount of resources harvest and that this had been going on for some time.

    Even if they have only been doing it for, lets say, 50 million years; though it is implied it has been going on a lot longer, that's 1000 civilizations to rise and fall. And not just like a single planet spreading out and figuring out the relays. Likely many situations like the one presented in the "current" time in ME where there are many sapient species that have developed space travel and have completely overtaken the galaxy.

    Shit would run out fast.

    Like...whole planets mined to the core.

    It just seems like something that would have stuck out to archaeologists at some point, is all I'm saying.

    Hhmmm...
    Reaper Overlord: Now, the final stage of our dastardly plan! Release the... POTTASIUM DEPOSITS! NYEHEHEHEHEH!

    I dunno though. Maybe some sort of terra-forming technology of the reapers? More likely an uncovered plot-hole though.

    It's easy to explain though
    Life and spacefaring life develops along lines the reapers choose. Given other races merely borrow reaper technology to get around, it's probable there are a lot of systems that nobody has discovered. It's probable that the reapers activate different relays, preventing the entire galaxy being mined out as many systems may be "dead" with no resources left. These relays may be inactive and systems with plentiful resources to develop organic life and promote its proliferation are activated instead.

    There could be millions of systems and only a handful are available at any one time due to the relays the reapers choose to have active on that cycle.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys does it actually ever say they take any resources?

    I thought they were only
    Harvesting species for their own agenda

  • ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    C0urtland wrote: »
    About the Reapers:
    It's so crazy how old they are! I mean, yes, if they do a mass extinction every fifty thousand years they must be super old, but at LEAST 37 million years? Holy crap! That's a lot of mass extinctions! (740)

    My main problem with this is that
    Many, if not all, of the resources in planets that can be easily mined, would have been done so by the countless civilizations that have risen and were destroyed over that period of time.

    The thing is, these minerals and elements don't just magically regenerate in 50k years. Even with the sheer number of planets in the galaxy to harvest; after a few dozen civilizations got wiped out you'd think scientists in the next civilization would notice that there was a dwindling amount of resources harvest and that this had been going on for some time.

    Even if they have only been doing it for, lets say, 50 million years; though it is implied it has been going on a lot longer, that's 1000 civilizations to rise and fall. And not just like a single planet spreading out and figuring out the relays. Likely many situations like the one presented in the "current" time in ME where there are many sapient species that have developed space travel and have completely overtaken the galaxy.

    Shit would run out fast.

    Like...whole planets mined to the core.

    It just seems like something that would have stuck out to archaeologists at some point, is all I'm saying.

    Hhmmm...
    Reaper Overlord: Now, the final stage of our dastardly plan! Release the... POTTASIUM DEPOSITS! NYEHEHEHEHEH!

    I dunno though. Maybe some sort of terra-forming technology of the reapers? More likely an uncovered plot-hole though.

    It's easy to explain though
    Life and spacefaring life develops along lines the reapers choose. Given other races merely borrow reaper technology to get around, it's probable there are a lot of systems that nobody has discovered. It's probable that the reapers activate different relays, preventing the entire galaxy being mined out as many systems may be "dead" with no resources left. These relays may be inactive and systems with plentiful resources to develop organic life and promote its proliferation are activated instead.

    There could be millions of systems and only a handful are available at any one time due to the relays the reapers choose to have active on that cycle.

    Also
    Do they specifically say they do it every 50,000 years? If not, maybe some species developed slower or faster than others. They may not have done this as many times as we think.

    camo_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Guys does it actually ever say they take any resources?

    I thought they were only
    Harvesting species for their own agenda

    They are talking about the actual races currently running around. My Shephard has single handedly depleted a LOT of systems in ME2.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • C0urtlandC0urtland Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Guys does it actually ever say they take any resources?

    I thought they were only
    Harvesting species for their own agenda

    Now that you mention it, wasn't the reapers taking resources (as in minerals, elements, twinkies, etc) just speculation on Shepard's part? And wasn't he like "Well I dunno what they want but I'm gonna blow them up! >:U " ?

  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Guys does it actually ever say they take any resources?

    I thought they were only
    Harvesting species for their own agenda

    Not talking about the Reapers taking resources; talking about the resource uses of the civilizations that are harvested.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - 360.png Galedrid - PSN.png Galedrid
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand - FFXI.png Kingshand - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045

  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In the first game I'm pretty sure it's mentioned that the mass extinctions appear pretty regularly every 50k years.
    It's in there somewhere. :P

    camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Steam.gif Galedrid - 360.png Galedrid - PSN.png Galedrid
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand - FFXI.png Kingshand - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045

  • Captain FordoCaptain Fordo Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Like other people have said, not all of the relays have been explored. In ME1 at least there were some planet descriptions that mentioned turian dreadnoughts going through some relay and getting blown up or some shit. I mean, the current galactic civilization didn't even discover the relay in our solar system until, well, we did

  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    C0urtland wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    C0urtland wrote: »
    First! I can't stand Miranda. From the moment I saw that chipmunk-esque Aussie badunka-dunk I hated her.

    I'm not sure that means what you think it means...

    It means she had an ass on her. A genetically engineered ass. It kind of sticks out. But doesn't make up for her shortcomings all the same.

    But... how is it chipmunk like?

    Her grill yes, but her arse?

    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    How far into the renegade bar do you have to be to
    recruit Morinth on Samara's loyalty mission? I'm like part way into the last bar and I still can't break her love trance bullshit.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    How far into the renegade bar do you have to be to
    recruit Morinth on Samara's loyalty mission? I'm like part way into the last bar and I still can't break her love trance bullshit.

    You dont have to be in Renegade, dont know hwat you're doing wrong I never even knew you could be put in a trance.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, you guys really like this thread.

    I can understand, because after all, it's my thread, and my threads are awesome, but seriously.

    There's a new thread right here.

    I know it's hard letting go of me, but you just gotta do it.

    You have to quit me.

This discussion has been closed.