As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3 US Troops Killed in Pakistan

[Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubtRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8494890.stm
Three US soldiers were among 10 people killed when a bomb blast hit a convoy near a school in north-west Pakistan.

Three schoolgirls were among the dead while 70 people, including another 63 schoolgirls and two US soldiers, were injured in the explosion in Lower Dir.

The US embassy said the military personnel had been training Pakistan's Frontier Corps in counter-insurgency.

Both governments deny large numbers of US troops are in Pakistan, where public opinion opposes their presence.

These are certainly the first deaths of US troops in Pakistan that I've heard about. I'll bet the house they wont be the last.

We've all heard of the drone strikes in Pakistan. These attacks were initiated under Bush and ramped up under Obama. Indeed Obama has re-phrased the war taking place in Afghanistan, now referring to the "Af-Pak" region, recognizing that rebel groups in the area cross the border at will. The drone strikes have been rather controversial; the Pakistani government officially despises them, yet actually hosts drones on its own soil and passes intelligence on to the US. Pakistanis hate the attacks though, especially when the inevitable civilian casualties come to light.

US troops, killed on Pakistani soil is taking things to a new level however. The US says these troops were training Pakistan's Frontier Corps. This brings up several interesting things to think about.

1) Just how many US troops and other military personnel are in Pakistan?

2) How did these 3 troops in particular die? It was a bombing, sure. But was it an accident that US troops were there? Or were they specifically targeted? How many more US personnel are at risk?

3) What exactly are these troops doing there? The US does extensive training of foreign armies, this is nothing new. However, its also not new for "military advisors" to be cover for troops acting covertly.

While the comparison between the two has been cliche'd and inaccurate since the 80s, this is also showing similarities with Vietnam. There were over 16 000 US "advisors" in Vietnam before the Gulf of Tonkin incident which really caused the war to get going. The US used bombing campaigns and covert ops in Laos and Cambodia because insurgents were crossing those borders freely. Obviously the situations are very different, yet in both situations we see the gradual creep of increasing militarization as a conflict expands beyond control.

What we are seeing in all of this is the start of a US war inside Pakistan. Calling it a "war" at this point may be pre-mature, however escalation at this point seems inevitable. The war in Afghanistan is going very poorly. Pakistan is extremely unstable. The US has a vested interest in the region, and yet is mired down in a conflict with no end in sight.

It seems clear that the fates of Afghanistan, Pakistan and perhaps the US itself are intertwined. What does the future hold for the region?

mvaYcgc.jpg
[Tycho?] on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    It'll be interesting to see just how itchy they are with that nuclear trigger finger.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It'll be interesting to see just how itchy they are with that nuclear trigger finger.

Interesting is not the word I would use.

Also, nobody seems to care about our shadow war in Pakistan, and I find that exceptionally unnerving. I think a lot of that has to do with the drone use, but maybe it's one of those things that people are just too confused about to really formulate polarized opinions on.

There was a pretty fascinating Frontline on last night focused on virtual/digital culture. Surprisingly, a large chunk of it was dedicated to examining the alienation of drone warfare, and the psychology of predator drone pilots.

More here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/digitalnation/waging-war/remote-control-war/

Maybe ground US causalities will change people's perception of the situation.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Pakistani people will not accept overt US force in Pakistan, and neither will much of the US population

So it's going to be drone attacks, special ops, blackwater, and "advisers" for now. Don't expect much else.

also

What the hell is this? What could you possibly mean?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Pakistani people will not accept overt US force in Pakistan, and neither will much of the US population

So it's going to be drone attacks, special ops, blackwater, and "advisers" for now. Don't expect much else.

also

I'm saying this could escalate to the first outright war we've fought with another nuclear power. And they're relatively new to the tech, and already in a high pressure situation living right next door to their sworn enemies.

I'm sorry if I didn't treat it with the appropriate gravitas, I'm just saying it will be interesting to see how this whole situation plays out since they're a nuclear power.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

also

I'm saying this could escalate to the first outright war we've fought with another nuclear power. And they're relatively new to the tech, and already in a high pressure situation living right next door to their sworn enemies.

I'm sorry if I didn't treat it with the appropriate gravitas, I'm just saying it will be interesting to see how this whole situation plays out since they're a nuclear power.

We're not at war with the government. They are helping us and don't really care.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Escalate from what? Because guys we sent over to train their military died in an attack?

What? You think they don't know we're helping train their military in COIN?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Am I the only one that missed the part where they have to publicly oppose us?

You know what, forget it. I'm tired and still recovering from surgery. I concede it was a stupid remark, and I'll bow out of the conversation.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Perhaps I'm being naive and/or ignorant here, but we're talking about an attack that killed 10, out of which 3 were US troops. I think it's fair to infer that 60-70% of the victims were Pakistani. Regardless of whether the US soldiers were the primary target, wouldn't it make more sense to try to work with the country whose citizens constitute the majority of the victims against the terrorists who will probably turn out to be Pakistani but who do not constitute the government or nation in any real way? This isn't Pearl Harbour - at least I don't remember 70% of the dead at PH being Japanese...

Edit: Sorry, this post ended up being a "me too", and a boring one at that.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I the only one that missed the part where they have to publicly oppose us?

You know what, forget it. I'm tired and still recovering from surgery. I concede it was a stupid remark, and I'll bow out of the conversation.

Haha - we're not trying to rail on you. We're just saying that the government is working with us - the people with the nuclear power have no desire to see us leave because they're interested in the stabilization of their government.

We've been working with the Pakistani government for a while now. They know we're doing drone attacks - they've allowed this to happen. The Taliban is in Pakistan, and the government has an interest in keeping tabs on them.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Escalate from what? Because guys we sent over to train their military died in an attack?

What? You think they don't know we're helping train their military in COIN?

Tensions in Pakistan have already escalated to this point. The war in Afghanistan has spilled over to Pakistan. Drone strikes are a regular occurrence, as I'm sure are covert ops. Pakistan is fighting a civil war against the Taliban and other groups, a civil war (like most) where the lines between sides are very, very blurry. The Pakistani military, intelligence and religious communities, all of which have large amounts of power, all have long standing ties to militant groups and terrorist organizations that opperate in Afghanistan, Kashmir, and now Pakistan itself. Things have gotten much, much worse for Pakistan since 2001, and the US has become increasingly more involved.

With Musharaff out of the picture Pakistan is lacking a strong, centralized leadership. The current government is barely holding itself together politically, nevermind the pressure from the civil war or Pakistans huge economic troubles (they're essentially bankrupt and facing increasing unemployment).

The current Pakistani government is friendly to the US. However it would not take much at all for the government to fall, and who knows what would replace it. All this means there is a ton of room for escalation. This attack itself is but a blip on the timeline, much like the acknowledgment of US drone strikes in the country or the start of suicide bombings on Pakistani soil. No one of these events is causing an all out war to break out, yet together they bring war all the closer.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looking back at this whole mess, I think the situation would have been a lot easier to deal with if Pakistan just ceded national sovereignty to the Taliban in Swat and Waziristan.

Then we could say our robots are attacking that country, the Caliphate or whatever ... not Pakistan.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Looking back at this whole mess, I think the situation would have been a lot easier to deal with if Pakistan just ceded national sovereignty to the Taliban in Swat and Waziristan.

Then we could say our robots are attacking that country, the Caliphate or whatever ... not Pakistan.

The Pakistani government did cede administrative duties, and allowed them to institute sharia in the region. They've always had a hands-off approach to the tribal areas, they've never been effectively governed in the history of the region. About as close as you can get to being its own country, I suppose. Ah, if only it were that easy.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Obama needs to go to Pakistan and get his diplomacy on.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Alternatively Pakistan needs to go to the disenfranchised parts of Pakistan and get their unification on.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Alternatively Pakistan needs to go to the disenfranchised parts of Pakistan and get their unification on.

Bringing government to those areas will be as easy as bringing it to Afghanistan.

Which is to say, not easy, and lots of people die when its attempted.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a lot of anti-American sentiment in Pakistan right now. Bob Gates had to go over there personally and do damage-control. The government has to walk a thin line between being rational (and letting the Americans carry out a campaign against the Pakistani Taliban) and not veering too far from popular opinion (ie. that the Americans are ignoring Pakistani sovereignty and blindly dropping bombs on terrorists and civilians alike).

Pakistan has basically been run by its military-industrial complex since its inception, and the ISI was documented to have (and probably still maintains) deep connections to insurgent groups, including the Afghan Taliban and Kashmiri groups. It's an uphill battle to convince the Pakistani people that these drone strikes aren't some tin-foil hat scheme between India and the US to destabilize the country.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    There's a lot of anti-American sentiment in Pakistan right now. Bob Gates had to go over there personally and do damage-control. The government has to walk a thin line between being rational (and letting the Americans carry out a campaign against the Pakistani Taliban) and not veering too far from popular opinion (ie. that the Americans are ignoring Pakistani sovereignty and blindly dropping bombs on terrorists and civilians alike).

Pakistan has basically been run by its military-industrial complex since its inception, and the ISI was documented to have (and probably still maintains) deep connections to insurgent groups, including the Afghan Taliban and Kashmiri groups. It's an uphill battle to convince the Pakistani people that these drone strikes aren't some tin-foil hat scheme between India and the US to destabilize the country.

Bringing up India is a very good point. So many of Pakistan's policies stem from its rivalry with India.

Pakistan has since the 80's seen Afghanistan and its own north-western areas as a buffer that can protect it. It supports the Taliban, which prevents India from moving around to Pakistan's backdoor to get at it that way (Iran as well I'd imagine). These same militants are used in Kashmir to fight India there. Now that Pakistan is facing violence on its own soil it may change its policies... or maybe not, since its hard to know who's in charge of what at any given time. Its such a murkey place, I find it very confusing to look at.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Bringing government to those areas will be as easy as bringing it to Afghanistan.

Which is to say, not easy, and lots of people die when its attempted.
    Yup, and that's unfortunate, however any diplomacy with Karachi will just be going through the motions if the tribal areas are a safe haven for the Taliban.

Now I'm not saying we should send troops or even drones there to shake things up, but really what can be accomplished as things stand now? Even if we do those things it is still up to the Pakistani government to bring the areas on board.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Again, the impression I get is that the military has always been pulling the strings. Musharraf seemed to come to power when the MIC got tired of the pretense of subordination to the government.

The India matter looks to me like paranoia in the extreme. I mean, it's almost absurd the degree to which Pakistan's rivalry with India seeps into every aspect of its policy. Thing is, I don't know whether or not there's a kernel of truth in all that paranoia.

I'd love to stay and regurgitate more of what I've read in Descent Into Chaos and what I've gleaned from my parents and the Urdu-language networks they watch on TV... but it's a gym night. :P
    ...any diplomacy with Karachi...

For clarity, Islamabad is the capital, and the seat of pretty much all political power. Karachi is just the biggest city (?), and the (domestic and international) trading hub.

Of course, you could've been using Karachi as a euphemism for something else, so I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt. :P

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Again, the impression I get is that the military has always been pulling the strings. Musharraf seemed to come to power when the MIC got tired of the pretense of subordination to the government.

The India matter looks to me like paranoia in the extreme. I mean, it's almost absurd the degree to which Pakistan's rivalry with India seeps into every aspect of its policy. Thing is, I don't know whether or not there's a kernel of truth in all that paranoia.

I'd love to stay and regurgitate more of what I've read in Descent Into Chaos and what I've gleaned from my parents and the Urdu-language networks they watch on TV... but it's a gym night. :P
    ...any diplomacy with Karachi...

For clarity, Islamabad is the capital, and the seat of pretty much all political power. Karachi is just the biggest city (?), and the (domestic and international) trading hub.

Of course, you could've been using Karachi as a euphemism for something else, so I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt. :P

I just read Descent into Chaos recently too, and while I really didn't like the book there are some good tidbits of info in there.

Anyway, India is making inroads in Afghanistan, and have been for some time. I believe 4 foreign nations have airbases in Central Asia. India is one of them, with a base in Tajikistan, a stones throw away from the Afghan border. From here is where India organizes its aid efforts. Now, I'm sure India does its fair bit of spy stuff as well. I am inclined to think though that Pakistan's policy has been one of paranoia, or at least was not very well thought out.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm Pakistani. My dad is in his late 60's, and senility has only heightened his already-insane views. His very anti-American views are complimented by his insistence that India is just waiting for Pakistan to let its guard down for a second or two, so it can blow Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar to Kingdom Come. I'm pretty sure he's not alone among his countrymen in that view.

And regarding the anti-Americanism I mentioned earlier: it's very thoroughly entrenched. I can't speak for the educated elite class there, but the Pakistani citizenry definitely has at best a pessimistic view of The American Imperialists. Case-in-point: my relatives on my father's side had posters of Osama (replete with jets flying in the background, and children standing at attention in the fore) on the doors in their house. Seems like it's especially bad among the Pushtoons in the northern mountainous regions.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I feel like I need to put this here:

I hate the use of the word "troop" to refer to a single person. As in "3 troops were killed." Why do people use this? Are they trying to avoid using the word "soldier?"

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    The US Soldiers definitely weren't the target. The Pakistani Taliban targets schools that educate girls and women on a regular basis. As far as the view of the US by the Pakistani people the United States only has itself to blame.

You reap what you sow and the US has been using and abusing that country as long as its existed. In the eyes of the people the United States is an unreliable fair-weather ally that only comes around when it has something to gain, otherwise we just ignore them and impose sanctions on their nuclear program.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The US Soldiers definitely weren't the target. The Pakistani Taliban targets schools that educate girls and women on a regular basis. As far as the view of the US by the Pakistani people the United States only has itself to blame.

You reap what you sow and the US has been using and abusing that country as long as its existed. In the eyes of the people the United States is an unreliable fair-weather ally that only comes around when it has something to gain, otherwise we just ignore them and impose sanctions on their nuclear program.

There are legitimate grievances to be aired vis-a-vis American foreign policy towards Pakistan. However, I'm not too big a lib to say that some of Pakistan's problems, that the US is now stepping in to rectify, stem from its own domestic policies. They turned a blind eye to the rise of the Taliban, and were even sanctioned by the UN to stop selling arms to them. There's a lot of evidence that even now, there're Taliban/al-Qaeda sympathizers within the Pakistani government (and the ISI especially*) that are keeping the hammer from really coming down on the Pakistani Taliban.

*I should give fair warning that I don't know what The Washington Times's reputation for accuracy/bias is; I was just kinda Googling around for an article verifying my statement.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Pakistan has its share of domestic problems independent of US-Pakistan relations certainly, but the problems with Afghanistan stem from the fact that the US used Pakistan to fight the Soviet Union in Afghanistan and then once the Soviet Union left the US lost all interest in the region and there was nobody around to clean up the mess made in Afghanistan except the rebels that were equipped and funded by the United States through Pakistan.

If the United States had paid more attention to the reconstruction of Afghanistan at this time, then we probably could have saved ourselves a lot of trouble down the road.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

There are legitimate grievances to be aired vis-a-vis American foreign policy towards Pakistan. However, I'm not too big a lib to say that some of Pakistan's problems, that the US is now stepping in to rectify, stem from its own domestic policies. They turned a blind eye to the rise of the Taliban, and were even sanctioned by the UN to stop selling arms to them. There's a lot of evidence that even now, there're Taliban/al-Qaeda sympathizers within the Pakistani government (and the ISI especially*) that are keeping the hammer from really coming down on the Pakistani Taliban.

*I should give fair warning that I don't know what The Washington Times's reputation for accuracy/bias is; I was just kinda Googling around for an article verifying my statement.

Washington Times is the one owned by a cult.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm Pakistani. My dad is in his late 60's, and senility has only heightened his already-insane views. His very anti-American views are complimented by his insistence that India is just waiting for Pakistan to let its guard down for a second or two, so it can blow Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar to Kingdom Come. I'm pretty sure he's not alone among his countrymen in that view.

And regarding the anti-Americanism I mentioned earlier: it's very thoroughly entrenched. I can't speak for the educated elite class there, but the Pakistani citizenry definitely has at best a pessimistic view of The American Imperialists. Case-in-point: my relatives on my father's side had posters of Osama (replete with jets flying in the background, and children standing at attention in the fore) on the doors in their house. Seems like it's especially bad among the Pushtoons in the northern mountainous regions.

Huh, interesting.

Tell me, as someone who is Pakistani, what did you think of Descent in Chaos? Accurate? Biased? Thorough? Sensational? My view of the book was pretty negative, but I'm very curious to see what someone from the region itself thinks about it.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    @Hamurabi, I'm curious as to what role the Pakistani media plays in fueling paranoid delusions amongst its populace. From the little I've read it seems like they have a fair share of Glenn Becklike media personalities over there.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Huh, interesting.

Tell me, as someone who is Pakistani, what did you think of Descent in Chaos? Accurate? Biased? Thorough? Sensational? My view of the book was pretty negative, but I'm very curious to see what someone from the region itself thinks about it.

To be honest, I haven't gotten more than a few chapters in. Aside from that, this is also the first account I've gotten of Pakistani history, so I don't have anything to really compare it with. Sorry.
    Qingu wrote:
    @Hamurabi, I'm curious as to what role the Pakistani media plays in fueling paranoid delusions amongst its populace. From the little I've read it seems like they have a fair share of Glenn Becklike media personalities over there.

I don't have access to all of the Pakistani media; my parents get a few channels on their dish here. ARY, one of the major news networks there, seems to frame things pretty liberally (which is to say, they frame things from a populist perspective versus aggrandizing the government/business). They've gone as far as becoming actively involved in some kind of sugar shortage going on in the country, and now they're airing promo videos between news segments about the greedy and corrupt sugar barons and how the citizenry shouldn't have to be extorted for its sugar.

Maybe Pakistan's Glenn Beck-alikes are mostly on the radio?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Huh, interesting.

To be honest, I haven't gotten more than a few chapters in. Aside from that, this is also the first account I've gotten of Pakistani history, so I don't have anything to really compare it with. Sorry.

When you're done you should stop by the ol' reading thread and tell us (me) what you think of it. Always good to have second opinions on a book.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When you're done you should stop by the ol' reading thread and tell us (me) what you think of it. Always good to have second opinions on a book.

You might be waiting for awhile* -- work + school are kinda getting in the way of Reading Time™. Damn priorities.
    *Though probably not as long as you'll wait for Dance With Dragons, m i rite?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuck America. It can go to the dogs. I readily await finishing my degree and emigrating to a first world country.

Dsmart on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You might be waiting for awhile* -- work + school are kinda getting in the way of Reading Time™. Damn priorities.

...whats Dance With Dragons?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

...whats Dance With Dragons?

(There's a thread. It's the Duke Nukem Forever of seven-part fantasy series.)

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/world/asia/04pstan.html?hpw
    Soldier Deaths Draw Focus to U.S. in Pakistan
    By JANE PERLEZ

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The deaths of three American soldiers in a Taliban suicide attack on Wednesday lifted the veil on United States military assistance to Pakistan that the authorities here would like to keep quiet and the Americans, as the donors, chafe at not receiving credit for.

The soldiers were among at least 60 to 100 members of a Special Operations team that trains Pakistan’s paramilitary Frontier Corps in counterinsurgency techniques, including intelligence gathering and development assistance. The American service members are from the Special Operations Command of Adm. Eric T. Olson.

At least 12 other American service members have been killed in Pakistan since Sept. 11, 2001, in hotel bombings and a plane crash, according to the United States Central Command, but these were the first killed as part of the Special Operations training, which has been under way for 18 months.

That training has been acknowledged only gingerly by both the Americans and the Pakistanis, but has deliberately been kept low-key so as not to trespass onto Pakistani sensitivities about sovereignty, and not to further inflame high anti-American sentiment.
    If the American soldiers were the targets, the attack raised the question of whether the Taliban had received intelligence or cooperation from within the Frontier Corps.
    To disguise themselves in a way that is common for Western men in Pakistan, the American soldiers were dressed in traditional Pakistani garb of baggy trousers and long tunic, known as shalwar kameez, according to a Frontier Corps officer. They also wore local caps that helped cover their hair, he said.

Their armored vehicle was equipped with electronic jammers sufficient to block remotely controlled devices and mines, the officer said. Vehicles driven by the Frontier Corps were placed in front and behind the Americans as protection, he said.

Still, the Taliban bomber was able to penetrate their cordon.
    Capt. Jack Hanzlik, a spokesman for the United States Central Command in Tampa, Fla., said 12 other service members had been killed in Pakistan since Sept. 11, 2001. The three soldiers who died Wednesday had been assigned to a Special Operations command in Pakistan. But he said they were not commandos from the elite Delta Force or Special Forces, also known as the Green Berets. The United States has about 200 military service members in Pakistan, Captain Hanzlik said.

The whole article is informative though. Gives us some interesting numbers to play around with, but if they're admitting to 200 soldiers in Pakistan I've got to think the total number is significantly higher. It also mentions how there is going to be a huge media blow-back from this inside Pakistan. A lot of people there are going to be very displeased to discover that there are US soldiers operating in their country.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The US was already conducting drone strikes seemingly without resistance, and the government would just release condemnations after the fact if civilians happened to get hurt. It's not a huge leap to envision a large-scale US ground operation taking place.

This just reminds everyone that there're still elements within the Pakistani government that're sympathetic to the Taliban from ties going back to the 90's. Until they're completely weeded out, or convinced that the Americans are worth siding with over the Taliban, you'll continue to see these kinds of occurrences. I don't know whether this was actually betrayal from the inside, but it'd be very easy to believe it.

The NPR piece on this on Wednesday was commenting on how the insurgents could've just been scoping out the scouts' routines and routes.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I feel like I need to put this here:

I hate the use of the word "troop" to refer to a single person. As in "3 troops were killed." Why do people use this? Are they trying to avoid using the word "soldier?"

Troops typically refer to any military personnel, all encompassing. Soldier is mainly used specifically in reference to the Army, Airmen are Airforce, Seaman Navy, and Marines Marine Corps.
    The most common misunderstanding is unit size. People often mistake a Company being larger than a Battalion, or a Battalion larger than a Brigade.

Edit: Or the rank of the Officer/NCO in charge of any engagement. Sending out Majors in battle, while it happens, is extremely rare. Colonels even less. Typically, unless you're in a specialized MOS, you stop the tactical side of the operation around Captain or Major, and at Major and above you enter the twilight era, where it's more on the operational side of things. Likewise, MSG/1SG/SMA will rarely see direct combat, and while it does happen, it's not common. At E-8, the Master Sergeant or First Sergeant, you enter Operational side and you have your subordinates exercising your commands.

Command size by rank (Typically):
    Using Army ranks:
    CPL - Sgt = Fireteam
    Sgt - SSGT = Squad
    SSGT - SFC = Platoon
    MSGT/1SG = Company
    CSM = Battalion
    SMA = Anything above

Officers:
    2nd Lt = Platoon
    1st Lt = Company XO
    Captain = Company CO
    Major = Battalion CMDR
    Colonel = Brigade and above

The size structure goes like this:

Personnel nomenclature (Air or Sea man/woman, Marine, Soldier)
    Fire Team 3+ personnel
    Squad 2+ Fire Teams
    Platoon 3+ Squads
    Company 2+ Platoons
    Battalion 2+ Companies
    Regiment 2+ Battalions
    Brigade 2+ regiments
    Division 2+ Brigades
    Corps 2+ Divisions
    Army 2+ Corps
    Army Group 2+ Armies
    Region/Theater/Front - An Engagement

The naming conventions are different based on branch of service or that type of unit (Batteries, Wings, Armour, Squadron, Troop for Cav, etc...) but they all are roughly the same size, or understood to have the same hierarchy.

So what's the point in this? It gives you a bit more insight into the types of people in charge and running things, and who if someone says something on the ground, usually where they rank on the totem pole. Movies and Video Games ruin this, very few places get it right.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Deaths in Pakistan? Collateral civilian casualties? But I read over at realclearpolitics that Obama was (I paraphrase) a bit of a homo who was scaling back the war on terror and basically pulling the front back closer to American citizens because he doesn't want to offend muslims.

So confused now.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]