As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Echo Bazaar] Dark RPG + Alternate Victorian London + Twitter!? = Addictive

• Options
    Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can help with some nightmares. I feel like I'm plodding along slowly, probably cause I'm a wuss and won't do near impossible challenges...

Ninja-edit: There seems to be a lot of hidden stats that you build up as you go. Example, I'm trying to raise Connected: Bohemian to 5 from 3. I got to three without even trying, but none of the actions in Veilgardens are giving me increases there anymore. I've seen all the things you are on the "Me" page, but it just seems like I keep stumbling into new abilities I have to build up.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So: Do we earn more money as we go on?

Because I'm tired of being naked.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can sell your loot, but I've found that right about the time you sell it, something comes up where you should have held onto it.

I think the suggestion to wait to play Knife-and-Candle until 25 is to keep you from getting your ass handed to you.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    You can sell your loot, but I've found that right about the time you sell it, something comes up where you should have held onto it.

I think the suggestion to wait to play Knife-and-Candle until 25 is to keep you from getting your ass handed to you.

Oh, I know you can sell your loot.

It's just that the amount you get for said loot is quite literally, pennies. And when I'm interested in buying something that's worth 3600 pennies, yeah. And that's just for one piece of equipment.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Money gets better eventually.

Game has been moving slow as shit since their update this morning, by the way.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Squid56 wrote: »
    I can help with some nightmares. I feel like I'm plodding along slowly, probably cause I'm a wuss and won't do near impossible challenges...

Ninja-edit: There seems to be a lot of hidden stats that you build up as you go. Example, I'm trying to raise Connected: Bohemian to 5 from 3. I got to three without even trying, but none of the actions in Veilgardens are giving me increases there anymore. I've seen all the things you are on the "Me" page, but it just seems like I keep stumbling into new abilities I have to build up.

Telling off-color politcal jokes (the hard option in the untrained persuasion storylet) is what raised my connected: bohemian. This storylet disappears after you raise your persuasion so high. I think there are other options to raise it in other places that I have yet to discover -- but that's the feeling I get.

[edit] Also.. Balls. I raised my inspired to 10 for a commission. Only needed 5 for the easy way out, but I wanted to do the hard one. Low risk at 10. Failed. It reset my inspiration to 1. (It warned me it would, and I was stupid and tried it before I got it down to straightforward, but still..)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've made about 4 Echoes in two days, and that includes the purchase of a lucky weasel and workman's clothes. When you have two stats at 12+ you start getting rewards that are worth 2-3 pennies apiece, usually in amounts of 6-10ish.
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Game has been moving slow as shit since their update this morning, by the way.

Man, no shit. 30 seconds just to turn over an opportunity card. Eugh.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Alexis KennedyAlexis Kennedy Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Hello all. Thanks for the enthusiasm, and apologies for the site problems yesterday. We're a veeery small operation and we had a grim evening. You should find it a bit less torpid today - do let us know if it's still misbehaving.

Alexis Kennedy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oooo, look, a dev... :) It's been running much better. And to answer my own question about Connected: Bohemian, I found a Missing Persons case who's harder option raises it directly.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hello all. Thanks for the enthusiasm, and apologies for the site problems yesterday. We're a veeery small operation and we had a grim evening. You should find it a bit less torpid today - do let us know if it's still misbehaving.

AK.jpgConnected: Echo Bazaar Developers is increasing...

Sorry, just had to :mrgreen:

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Much faster today. I have to say though, I worry that posting the names of the most admired citizens might have just the effect of solidifying the names already on the list. The highest score in the game yesterday was like 7 or 8, now it's at 12.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @ Beltaine Bonus points if you can work out what I'm doing in that picture. :)

@ Delzhand You're right at the moment, but don't worry. As usual with the Admired leaderboard, we're dipping our toe and will iterate like crazy (the Failbetter Games design technique: 'throw stuff at the wall until it's no longer broken').

So we'll add a friends-only leaderboard (like the Knife-and-Candle one) which will probably display by default. Admired will degrade over time too. I just wanted a basic implementation up to attract people's attention to in time for the Feast of the Exceptional Rose on Feb 14th+...

Alexis Kennedy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really like the opportunity-unique storylines. I just got Recalling The Surface (Admirer) part 2. Heartbreaking.

Question for everyone - do you tend to focus on one or two stats, or try to keep things even?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've decided to focus on two stats, Dangerous and Watchful. Mostly because I wanted to make a Lawful Good character.

On another note: I need someone to beat my character up. I'm at a part in my ambition that I require those..Hard Knock Lessons. I've got 23 Dangerous at the moment.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @Alexis: My guess is either coding, or snoozing. Maybe both at the same time?

@Delzhand: I've concentrated mostly on Persuasive and Watchful. They were what my ambition suggested, but I've noticed as I play and try to unlock something or work towards different opportunities to see what would happen, that I've naturally gained both without really trying.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I try to keep things even, but watchfulness is edging more and more ahead. I think I like the idea of investigating stuff better than everything else.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    I've decided to focus on two stats, Dangerous and Watchful. Mostly because I wanted to make a Lawful Good character.

On another note: I need someone to beat my character up. I'm at a part in my ambition that I require those..Hard Knock Lessons. I've got 23 Dangerous at the moment.

I'm available for beatings if you send an invite in the next 5 minutes.

Edit: I just noticed a ton of new E1.00 items that lower all qualities by 5 or 10. I'm tempted to buy them and equip them all to see what happens. It wouldn't just be a money sink, right?

New Edit: I have an opportunity card -

Putting the pieces together: something about the Fourth City
    You're close to something interesting. You have scraps and fragments and tantalising hints. Perhaps it's time for a fresh eye.

A troubled conversation about dusty stones
    "If they said...and she meant...and we were on the Ramparts on the night the Constables never came...has the fountain always been dry?"
    (unlocked with Whispered Secret 100 - you have 108; )

And I get to share this revelation about the Fourth City with someone, apparently. I don't know what the result will be, but next player to post gets the invite.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @Delzand We just unlocked a chunk of 60-80 content. A handful of players had shot 70 before we implemented a level cap. Those items are there for them, and anyone else desperate to visit lower-level content. They're probably a temporary measure.

@Beltaine ...the clue is the baby pic.

Alexis Kennedy on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shit, son. Dev doesn't count as player posting, right?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nope. You're the winner. Hopefully this isn't just a bunch of nightmares for both of us.

Edit: Sweet. I got 30 cryptic secrets without giving up the 100 whispered secrets.

Just got the same card again. Who wants secrets?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pick me! Pick me!

Also, I've advanced my ambition to the point where I need 50 Foxfire Candles. Trouble is, I've never seen a Foxfire Candle. Anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking?

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been focusing on shadowy and persuasive, but my watchful seems to be keeping pace without me really trying. My dangerous is still at 1. I'd grind it up so I could do the knife and candle thing, but every time I'm on it seems like I've got better places to spend points, and then before I know it they are gone.

Also I love it when devs come hang out in the pa thread for their game.
    @Alexis - you need a better way of reporting bugs. I tried your feedback thing but it's a jumbled mess and it said I needed votes to report or something? Weird.

But anyway, I don't recall which social activity it was, but I kept clicking accept and it said that the activity had already been accepted or it had been canceled, but then it showed right back up. Turns out I had no AP left, but I didn't realize it. You may want to change that message to reflect that.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well I have just signed up on Twitter for this.

Gave myself the moniker of ApathyHero as I couldnt think of anything better.

Currently I am in watchmaker hill helping a rat catcher and not having much luck.

EDIT

Just got my first rat. Its a good day.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You've blocked people from following you on Twitter Shifty. That makes it hard to use you in game.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hi all, I've been kinda tinkering around with this and figured I'd add my name to the list. My twitter's baronfel, if anyone's interested. Do I just add the names in the OP to my following list on twitter and then all's well?

baronfel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Foxfire candles can be bought for 3 pennies or gotten as a reward from defeating frost moths (Dangerous 9), randomly from robbing bums (Shadowy 13), or there's an opportunity card to rescue a candlemaker from a burning building (I forget what it tests).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is anyone up to relieve some of my nightmares? Coz they're getting dangerously high.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @baronfel - Yes

@Dalzhand - Thanks, I must have overlooked at the Bazzar.

@alset85 - I can handle a nightmare or two

Ah, to be young and in love, then marriage, which of course brings as its reward an Iron Wrist Manacle.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Forty Thousand. Forty Thousand.

Forty Thousand Prisoners Honey. That's sixteen hundred Echoes.

The Royal Bethlehem Hotel.

Forty Thousand.

Man I'm going to be holding onto that card for quite a time.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You can farm about 7-12 per ap in the level 15 persuasion storylet. So about 4,000~ ap if you want to go that route ;)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Are there a pre set answers to all the questions on the mysteries tab? Has anyone answered any questions yet?

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've filled in a few...no idea what it's all about.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Damn the exhaustion reset is late by about 12 hours and even the bonus actions from echoing stuff don't work anymore.

alset85 on

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I believe the reset actually happens 24 hours from when you made your first action after the previous reset.

So, if your first action was at 8am, your reset will be at 8am. This usually screws me up on Mondays when I get to work at 7am, but on Sunday I played in the afternoon.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if this would work on the iphone...

<goes to check it out>

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone able to alleviate some nightmares?

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When are nightmares too dangerous?

My nightmares are at 6 I think. ..

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone know a good storylet to get Glim from? I need to get into Wolfstack, but I've only got 64 glim and 128 surface currency. Preferably storylets that use Persuasive or Shadowy. I've been repeating the quest to act as a magician's accomplice, which gives 1 glim and 2 surface currency.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Huh, this is actually pretty great. I think I've gotten to the point where I need friends for this to work though, so count me in; name is "leaguesman".

Edit: Hmm. What am I supposed to do now? I've got a 4 different options for doing things with the 4 skills, all of them seemingly involved in sending out invites for things. I have an option to travel to other places for ridiculous amounts of stuff. Another one that requires 40 Persuasive (I only have 7). Am I just waiting to draw a suitable storylet from the deck for my level now?

Edit part 2: Ooooh, I'm supposed to press the travel button to leave my lodgings, duh. Whelp, I'm an idiot.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I works fine on the iphone. The only caveat is that items and opportunity cards have to be clicked on twice. The first click shows the tooltip, the second click actually clicks on it.

Also it's slow as hell on EDGE, so you might have better luck on 3G.

But yeah, it works.

Xaviar on