As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] and Beans

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Good day

Christ, they let you out? There goes the neighborhood.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Watching Frisky Dingo reruns. I love Killface.

Well not with that attitude you dont!

Confession: I use that in real life now, all. the. time.

I'm the worst.

I use Kakow quiet frequently.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The sniper rifle in Tribes 2 sort of sucked. It had no oomph and I always didn't wait for my energy to replenish so the second shot always sucked.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cinders wrote: »

Those sunglasses are totally Shadowruny.

They scream Street Samurai.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I accept that Japanese Shadowrun is Japanese in addition to being Shadowrun.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Good day

Does this mean I get to make your signature and avatar!?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Really? In pretty much every game I've played, the sniper rifle has significant differences from other gun, namely clip size (usually 1), reload times, and size of the targeting reticule when not in scope mode.

I mean, the only game I can think of where those three things don't necessarily apply is L4D, and in that case the sniper/hunting rifle are pretty much the only non-auto, non-spread guns, besides the pistols which have the benefit of unlimited ammo.

What games are you talking about specifically?

WW2 games (like DoD or Red Orchestra) as that's what the sniper guns generally were historically.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hey Vari, I watched Fletch on instant today and it holds up pretty well. It's not a classic or anything but it's Chevy Chase being a funny dick and solving crime for 90 minutes.

yeah I can't believe I haven't seen this yet, I fucking love Chevy Chase.

right now.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Sniping is too easy.

Point. Click. Kill.

I want more excitement and challenge from my gaming experience.

In good games you at least have to adjust for the travel time of the bullet in regards to bullet drop and the movement of your target.
    And also, you know, you have to be sure you're in good cover, you have to worry about people sneaking up on you while you're in scope mode, it typically takes awhile to get a bead on someone once you're in scope mode. Plus it's not like the "point" part is the easiest thing in the world either.

It's hard for me to feel sympathetic for snipers in most of the games I play because the sniper literally has the same gun as me PLUS a scope.
    Really? In pretty much every game I've played, the sniper rifle has significant differences from other gun, namely clip size (usually 1), reload times, and size of the targeting reticule when not in scope mode.

I mean, the only game I can think of where those three things don't necessarily apply is L4D, and in that case the sniper/hunting rifle are pretty much the only non-auto, non-spread guns, besides the pistols which have the benefit of unlimited ammo.

Laser beam sniper rifles are pretty neato!
    Do you mean the ones in Mass Effect? Because I think those are pretty well balanced against the other guns, considering the massive size of the targeting reticule when not in scope mode, the incredible amount of heat each shot generates (which basically simulates reload time and clip size) and the wiggling that occurs in scope mode.

If you're talking about other games, though, chances are I haven't played them.

I mean, yeah, if it's just a regular gun except with a scope, that's bad, but that sounds like poor game design rather than a specific problem with sniping in general.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I heard Shadowrun on the 360 was very bad.

There was no Shadowrun game for the 360.

What is this nonsense of which you speak?

shadowrunx3602.jpg

This guy looks pretty upset that his game is bad.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The sniper rifle in Tribes 2 sort of sucked. It had no oomph and I always didn't wait for my energy to replenish so the second shot always sucked.

Correction, you sucked with the sniper rifle in Tribes 2. Thing was terrifying in the right hands. So many mid air headshots.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Good day

Lock up your lutefisk

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hello [chat], what should I do tonight.

On this, the most holy of Thorsdays.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Business happens in Tokyo too.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    shawshank.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I mean, yeah, if it's just a regular gun except with a scope, that's bad, but that sounds like poor game design rather than a specific problem with sniping in general.

These games generally have a hard limit on the number of snipers per team (usually one). Like MGs or SMGs they tend to be powerful 'pieces' (if you will) when positioned correctly.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

WW2 games (like DoD or Red Orchestra) as that's what the sniper guns generally were historically.
    Fair enough, I don't play a lot of those.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey Variable, give me a movie recommendation

Pleeeeease

what can I pick from? if you have netflix, I watched The Mack on DUE's rec the other night and it was excellent so I vote that.

I did just walk out to smoke so I may have missed my opening here.

Variable on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

shadowrunx3602.jpg

Did you ever play it?

Cinders on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HAHAHAHA

"okay, pussy-face."

best insult to an alien ever.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Correction, you sucked with the sniper rifle in Tribes 2. Thing was terrifying in the right hands. So many mid air headshots.

No they sucked for the reason I gave. They were laser pointers that weren't impressive at all when fired.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also yes I would very much like an av+sig

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Japan's pretty good with western franchises.

They made one of the best Wizardry games ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kx8WiyccVw

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowrun wasn't bad.

It wasn't great, either, but it wasn't bad.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No they sucked for the reason I gave. They were laser pointers that weren't impressive at all when fired.

Pfft, no. Used in support of a team they could be awesome. In a game where pretty much every other weapon is a slow moving projectile I don't see how you could call a long range hitscan weapon bad.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

shadowrunx3602.jpg

Did you ever play it?

Nah.

I know the PnP game but the game on the 360 doesn't bother me.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "And right now you could care less about me, but soon enough will by the time i'm done."

Jokerman on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Shadowrun wasn't bad.

I really like the gliding and teleport. It's surprisingly satisfying.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Pfft, no. Used in support of a team they could be awesome. In a game where pretty much every other weapon is a slow moving projectile I don't see how you could call a long range hitscan weapon bad.

Because they were boring. It was a laser pointer and the sound effect when you fired it was weak. The fact that it could actually kill people seemed more like a fortunate accident.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoilered for big.
    h0Ojs.jpg

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alot of my shooter experience comes from battlefield where a good sniper can be useful, but you will lose if half your team is running around sniping. All they could do was shoot a few people here and there. Nothing like having a sniper backing you up, though.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowrun wasn't bad.

I actually found it pretty enjoyable for a bit, but the lack of single player and mediocre maps made it meh.

Could make for an awesome FPS game though if done right.

Quid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowrun should have been done like The Witcher.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowrun wasn't bad.

teleportation is not possible in the Shadowrun universe.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sniping is too easy.

Point. Click. Kill.

I want more excitement and challenge from my gaming experience.

Every gun is point, click, kill. The sniper rifle just finishes the job faster. It's a strategic weapon. It has limited ammunition and you have to reload after each shot. Switching to another weapon takes time so if someone gets close you're going to get screwed up.

I've yet to find a game where I couldn't simply move from cover, snipe, and move back ad nauseam until I had had killed off all of the enemy. This takes all of the challenge out of games. I try to avoid sniper rifles for this reason. With other weapons, at least the enemy has a chance to shoot back and thus requires quick reflexes thereby increasing the challenge.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I want to play the Genesis Shadowrun eventually. It looks like my kind of game.

The grinding was a bit much, and the cities were really sparsely populated. (In my mind, Shadowrun cities are packed at all hours like Hong Kong or Shibuya.) Otherwise, it did a good job of capturing Shadowrun.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I played the shadowrun demo. The teleport and hangliding was really fun.

I want to make a game where you have a collapsible backpack hanglider now. And set it in the City of Mirror's Edge.

Imagine flying into a helicopter and kicking out the cops inside

EDIT: Taranis: Battlefield Bad Company. Where sniping is the art of stealth. Because if someone sees you, you will either be sniped, some guy will run around and put five rounds rapid in your chest and head area, or they'll call in mortar strikes.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    criterion doing a sale through their online store?

I am broke (accurately: I can't spend money on movies) but I can stare at numbers.

Variable on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowrun wasn't bad.

teleportation is not possible in the Shadowrun universe.

See, stuff like this is why I <3 you despite the differences in opinion on matters such as Katy Perry.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    <sigh> Why do so few people understand what free speech means?

Criticizing CBS for airing Tebow's anti-abortion ad isn't counterable by "It's a free speech matter, and I think the ad should air". CBS is a private organization, they can choose what to air (within certain guidelines), and in fact, criticizing CBS for choosing to air that ad falls within my own rights to free speech.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.