As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    I took the Paragon option and it gave me the choice.
    human abduction
    Was it ever answered why they're taking only humans? I know, they're building a human reaper, which being kinda cool would have been better if done in a less silly way.

But where exactly are the asari, turian, volus, drell reapers?

And for that matter it's bloody stupid that the collector's were protheans. The intimation seems to be that this is a fairly standard way of doing things, each cycle. Except the collector's haven't even been around for one cycle

So how exactly were the reapers collecting previously?
    The Collectors are building a new Reaper and humanity is the most genetically diverse species with tonnes of potential and the Collectors/Reapers want the best genetic material. Harbinger repeatedly says he is helping them ascend to their genetic destiny.

And the Collectors are new, the Protheans, assumedly because of their 4-strand DNA, weren't useful for converting into a Reaper or processing for what other things they may be doing with the genetic material so they repurposed them to make them useful instead.
    We're the most genetically diverse? Why would that be good or bad. Why would it even be significant? What, in fact, would it even mean?

I'd buy the assumption of the collectors simply filling a role that'd been filled by other species previously, but it just seems out of place.
    They call Turians too primitive and Krogans a waste of potential, so there's something very specific about humans that they ...appreciate, and want to keep. The only unique traits we've heard in relation to the human race is that we're genetically diverse. Since the Reapers seem to be all about preserving some dominant species legacy, they figured the most genetically diverse one was probably the one to pick. They also obviously have some personal interest in Shepard, which might have coloured this decision a bit, since Harbinger keeps mentioning a lot of personal stuff towards Shepard when he fights - and they didn't start collecting humans specifically until Shepard had destroyed Sovereign.
    humanity is genetically diverse and thus has hte most potential, they're capable of being super dumb and super smart, growing stronger, faster, evolving, adapting and overcoming and they have distinct physiological differences, tall, short, whatever so you can presumably do a lot with a species that has that kind of genetic potential.

Turians/Krogans/Asari for instance all look fairly hte same, have little physical diversity and have been on the space stage for ages and yet have seemingly done very little compared to how fast humanity has moved.

Yeah, Mordin says all of this on his loyalty quest when you happen upon a human corpse halfway through.
    Huh. And here i thought they were building a human reaper because they were mad pissed at Shepard for beating up Sovereign.

Lux on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, game bugs.. I came across this video and gave myself a little giggle.. specifically the third bug involving Miranda...

ME2 Bugs

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I am Pacal wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is bummed that a lesbian FemShep cannot make a pass at
    Miranda, Jack or Tali? All I've got is Kelly. This means I cannot get the paramour achievement as Kelly is not part of my team...

It also does not make much sense.
    So maybe Miranda is straight but Jack should be ready for some girl-on-girl action. She even talks about doing threesomes in her past. And Tali gives me some lines about how she feels close to me but the problem is that I'm not Quarian... But she has no problems boning a MaleShep.
    Yeah, it's a disappointment. Just don't let Fiaryn catch you, or he'll try to claim that there's no such thing as a lesbian FemShep because Asari aren't female.
    I think this is actually something Bioware stated.
    while asari have only one gender, they are not asexual like single-celled life - all asari are sexually female
    They stated precisely the opposite, at least using the in-game codex and supposedly canon out of game material.

Be aware you're arguing with Blackdove, who thinks the word "Order" means "Advice" and routinely ignores evidence from the game when it doesn't suit him.
    Mordin also delivers a smack down to racists when he does -
    - that the genetic diversity isn't to do with humans looking different, that those are only superficial differences.

Mordin is the best character in the game, especially because he voice actor just nails it out of the park.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope in ME3 it's explained what the Reapers' raison d'étre is, and perhaps who built them as well.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    human abduction
    Was it ever answered why they're taking only humans? I know, they're building a human reaper, which being kinda cool would have been better if done in a less silly way.

And for that matter it's bloody stupid that the collector's were protheans. The intimation seems to be that this is a fairly standard way of doing things, each cycle. Except the collector's haven't even been around for one cycle

The Collectors are building a new Reaper and humanity is the most genetically diverse species with tonnes of potential and the Collectors/Reapers want the best genetic material. Harbinger repeatedly says he is helping them ascend to their genetic destiny.

And the Collectors are new, the Protheans, assumedly because of their 4-strand DNA, weren't useful for converting into a Reaper or processing for what other things they may be doing with the genetic material so they repurposed them to make them useful instead.
    We're the most genetically diverse? Why would that be good or bad. Why would it even be significant? What, in fact, would it even mean?

I'd buy the assumption of the collectors simply filling a role that'd been filled by other species previously, but it just seems out of place.
    They call Turians too primitive and Krogans a waste of potential, so there's something very specific about humans that they ...appreciate, and want to keep. The only unique traits we've heard in relation to the human race is that we're genetically diverse. Since the Reapers seem to be all about preserving some dominant species legacy, they figured the most genetically diverse one was probably the one to pick. They also obviously have some personal interest in Shepard, which might have coloured this decision a bit, since Harbinger keeps mentioning a lot of personal stuff towards Shepard when he fights - and they didn't start collecting humans specifically until Shepard had destroyed Sovereign.
    humanity is genetically diverse and thus has hte most potential, they're capable of being super dumb and super smart, growing stronger, faster, evolving, adapting and overcoming and they have distinct physiological differences, tall, short, whatever so you can presumably do a lot with a species that has that kind of genetic potential.

Turians/Krogans/Asari for instance all look fairly hte same, have little physical diversity and have been on the space stage for ages and yet have seemingly done very little compared to how fast humanity has moved.

Yeah, Mordin says all of this on his loyalty quest when you happen upon a human corpse halfway through.
    Huh. And here i thought they were building a human reaper because they were mad pissed at Shepard for beating up Sovereign.
    Hmm I suppose the diversity would be a help if you could mix and match to create the best of all of them combined. It just seemed odd the way they said it in game, and I don't particularly like the way that WE ARE TEH BESTEST

Also that there is no evidence of any other species having 2 genders.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, game bugs.. I came across this video and gave myself a little giggle.. specifically the third bug involving Miranda...

ME2 Bugs

That bug with Miranda was awesome.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Mordin is the best character in the game, especially because he voice actor just nails it out of the park.

This is so true it hurts a little.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

This is so true it hurts a little.

Looking up his VA on IMDB, it turns out he did some voice acting for the Care Bears back in the day. Didn't realize he was in Dragon Age.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

ME2 Bugs

That bug with Miranda was awesome.
    I've been watch Durarara and this just makes me wish for a headless horseman type character in ME2

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    any tips for using tactical cloak? i've been either a) ignoring it, b) using it for the damage bonus, or c) using it eventually for escaping

is it rewarding to flank with it? do your team-mates follow you?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    any tips for using tactical cloak? i've been either a) ignoring it, b) using it for the damage bonus, or c) using it eventually for escaping

I haven't been using it much either

I feel a little bad

but it's like man I don't need to go anywhere, I have a sniper rifle

Elendil on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LesShepard gets so screwed in this game. 8(

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I feel a little bad

I use it to give myself that liiiittle extra time to line up a sniped head-shot. (+10% dmg with the holographic visor). :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So if I pump points into assault mastery, does the bonus only apply to subsequently earned points, or will it increase my negotiation bonus now?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »

lesbian shepard gets a stripper in her room

gay shepard gets a pat on the back and a "no thanks, shepard"

he retires to his room to flick through the security cam footage, before settling on jacob in the locker room

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe it's all build up? Maybe Bioware plan to leave on a high note. In Mass Effect 3, we will get the most intense gay sex scene in gaming history. People will stumble into it, and leave questioning their sexuality it will be that hot.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

I feel a little bad

I use it to give myself that liiiittle extra time to line up a sniped head-shot. (+10% dmg with the holographic visor). :)

they could have swapped the soldier and infiltrator skills around, maybe

give the infiltrator the slow-mo headshots and the soldier a cloak to encourage him to run around and melee everyone

i understand a cloak isn't very soldiery and a non-stealth skill isn't very infiltrator-y

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

ME2 Bugs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FjEF1p_G4

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    someone shut that wookie up

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's the only bug I encountered in the game. Though I got it randomly when I set people on fire

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

NO SHE DOESN'T HARHARHAR

also

Being a lesbian in ME2 is just like being a lesbian in real life: Frustrating.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm I suppose the diversity would be a help if you could mix and match to create the best of all of them combined. It just seemed odd the way they said it in game, and I don't particularly like the way that WE ARE TEH BESTEST

Yeah, this annoyed me to no end. In the first game we were just another of the alien races, meaning all races were plenty similar, yet diverse enough in looks and behaviour.

But then we get the whole "Humans are awesome"-spiel we've heard soooo many times and which I'd hoped they 'd evade for the sequel as well.

Phoenix1985 on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    human abduction

Its a common theme that humanity is an infant species compared to pretty much evryone else and almost always are weaker physically and live shorter lives but have incredible potential because of our immense ability to adapt and overcome and natural instincts like curiosity plus basic advantages of our physical form for agility and speed. Its also pretty common for members of other species to look pretty much the same and for us to have the most diversity though there are probably more to do with design/budget than anything else.

Its also possible that the species chosen to form a Reaper is then coated in a Reaper like, tentacled shell for protection. If you're walking through the dead Reaper Im sure you see thin, cylinders along the very open walls, like a rib cage or something. Its pointless worrying about right now since it will PROBABLY be explained in ME3.

And there are Krogan females in the game, theyre by the Shaman, they look exactly the same just have a slightly higher tone voice.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But then we get the whole "Humans are awesome"-spiel we've heard soooo many times and which I'd hoped they 'd evade for the sequel as well.

Except by comparison to the other species they're clearly not:

Asari are naturally biotic, live for ages, have great skin.
    Krogan have massively redundant organ systems, regenerate insanely, hard as nails.

ALTHOUGH

Quarians seem to be huge failures, and salarians seem to have nothing going for them other than being clever. Also volus.

Turians seem to be on an almost exact level with humans.
    And there are Krogan females in the game, theyre by the Shaman, they look exactly the same just have a slightly higher tone voice.

Those aren't females AFAIK. There's one krogan there who is the envoy to the females, but he's explicitly a male - he just hasn't gone through his rite yet.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Today's Ceberus News is awesome

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm not sure humans are ever portrayed as superior, per se

We can only guess why the Reapers are interested in humans, but since this sudden interest coincides with Shepard successfully taking out Sovereign, it's probably related to that.

As a society, it seems many of the other races are more successful

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Those aren't females AFAIK. There's one krogan there who is the envoy to the females, but he's explicitly a male - he just hasn't gone through his rite yet.

My friend theorized that those were females as well. My argument was that this is a Bioware game; if we're ever going to see a Krogan female, they are going to make goddamn sure that we know it's a Krogan female.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »

ME2 Bugs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FjEF1p_G4

You know, whoever did that Foley got REALLY into it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

We can only guess why the Reapers are interested in humans, but since this sudden interest coincides with Shepard successfully taking out Sovereign, it's probably related to that.

Genetic superiority, not superior as a society or something. Its the genetic part thats important.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Quarians seem to be huge failures, and salarians seem to have nothing going for them other than being clever. Also volus.

While physically they may be inferior, Quarians are natural mechanics and such. Didn't Tali say their immune system was different from other races because it was... adaptive or something? Maybe if the Geth problem didn't screw them over it could have been sucessful and more advantagous than our immune systems.

Plus Grunt definitely complements them as the only other race other than Krogan that are hard to kill by stabbing in the back.

Volus.... yeah. Got nothing.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

Genetic superiority, not superior as a society or something. Its the genetic part thats important.

That's just an EDI theory, isn't it? (honestly can't remember)

And "diverse" does not translate immediately to "superior"

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the Volus are mostly pretty big in the banks and media

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Didn't Tali say their immune system was different from other races because it was... adaptive or something?

She says that on her planet a large number of viruses are actually benign, and consequently their immune systems tend towards co-existence with foreign organisms rather than destruction. While this may have been an advantage on their home planet, it is clearly absolutely dreadful everywhere else. Then add in the effect of living off their home planet, so their immune systems aren't even adapted to the old friendly viruses/bacteria, and you have worst immune system EVAR
    the Volus are mostly pretty big in the banks and media

Man I read this pamphlet that says they control everything

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man why everybody gotta hate on the Volus?

ME3 needs a Volus crew member. Maybe a CAS pilot or something - someone in a position to wreck peoples shit by proxy.

EDIT: I'd also settle for "shifty banker who saves your ass because everyone everywhere tends to owe him money".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    don't the volus explode violently if their suits rupture?

[€dit] No, their flesh just splits open

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would pay for DLC that was just new planets, like the Turian homeworld and such. While seeing Tuchanka was great I was sad they didn't do the other species' homewords.

And is it Species or races when talking about different aliens?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And is it Species or races when talking about different aliens?

Species.

Race is a subsection of a species.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I gotta assume they're saving the homeworlds for ME 3. I hope you'll also get to go to Earth, finally.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mass Effect3: Krogan Porn

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talking of porn, what is the point of the "titillating alien magazine Fornax"?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png