Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User
    edited February 2010
    They re-used most of the planets and just re-colored them, and randomly added Saturn rings to some of them.

Right, that's fairly evident, but it seems exceedingly silly to put such a thing in the description.

I read another one where there was a crater that was "visible from space", looked and the planet was 100% craters everywhere.

Ouch. Yeah, it's too bad they didn't have more unique planets. I understand that it might be a waste of development time, but why, then, put in such specific and unique features in the planet descriptions?

I guess it's the same reason they didn't give you a proper magazine when you bought Fornax :winky:

Leave some things to the imagination.

• RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Some of it made no sense either. How do you mine for heavy metals from a boiling hot gas giant?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    C0urtland wrote: »
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    It's just to easy to be perfect...

I'm not so sure about that.

It is incredibly easy to be perfect. It's not even open for discussion.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I'm with C0urtland - I got tripped up
    Spoiler:

The Company: The CYOA game that anybody can join at any time - running now!
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there any benefit to sticking to either paragon or renegade as opposed to mixing it up?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Rakai wrote: »
    But redeeming codes through the live system doesn't get you the content for both versions (PC/360). For instance, I bought the PC CE of Dragon's Age and was able to use the bonus armor for the 360 version of ME because the code gives it for both. And if I were to ever buy the PC version of ME2, I would have the CE and preorder bonuses for that version (without having to buy a CE). As it stands I'll take this system any day.

But if that's the concern, they can just package multiple codes in the box. For the blood dragon armor, they could have put a code for the 360 version and a code for the PC version in each version of Dragon Age.

Sure, someone could give away their unused code, but I'm not seeing how that'd be a bad thing for consumer happiness.

• TethTeth __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to sticking to either paragon or renegade as opposed to mixing it up?

You'll not have dialogue options or actions available to you.

• TethTeth __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Some of it made no sense either. How do you mine for heavy metals from a boiling hot gas giant?

The core of the planet may have those metals in liquid (or even solid) form.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Regarding Mass Effect 1.
    For Tali's "Loyalty" quest, if you want to call it that.
    At the end of Geth Incursions you get a copy of some data that you can give to her.

I don't remember if I gave it to her or not, I can't remember.
    I have the PC version so maybe this decision can be designated by a 1 or a 0

If you gave it to her, one of your first dialogue choices when you first run into her in ME2 should reference it.

As for the EA account, it really is a convoluted mess if you haven't used it recently. I'd already messed around with it (linking my Bioware account to my EA account, which was already linked to my PSN account, etc) when Dragon Age came out, so I didn't have any problems with Mass Effect 2 but I can understand why some people would. EA need to do a FAR better job integrating all their systems, because it's a bloody mess at the moment.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Teth wrote: »

The planet in the description was 2500 degrees at the surface (don't remember which unit, but damn hot).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited February 2010

The planet in the description was 2500 degrees at the surface (don't remember which unit, but damn hot).

It could also have them caught up in a storm bad in high temperature gaseous form. Harvest them big magnetic scoops.

edited February 2010

There are a lot of points available though. You can mix it up a fair bit, particularly with interrupts (which are usually the best thing to do it with).

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It could also have them caught up in a storm bad in high temperature gaseous form. Harvest them big magnetic scoops.

Plus the giant's rings/moons.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited February 2010

There are a lot of points available though. You can mix it up a fair bit, particularly with interrupts (which are usually the best thing to do it with).

Especially if you evolve your class power to the one that gives +100% paragon/renegade.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My assumption has been that since you are firing probes from a frigate and only using the minerals to upgrade the limited number of weapons on that frigate, you are actually just recovering trace amounts of the stuff.

Which still doesn't really make sense because cerberus probably has loads of platinum sitting in a spacewarehouse somewhere, but whatever.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    if the rapture don't come cousin, then pass the guns
    I'll burn'em for the return of my investment funds
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    My assumption has been that since you are firing probes from a frigate and only using the minerals to upgrade the limited number of weapons on that frigate, you are actually just recovering trace amounts of the stuff.

Which still doesn't really make sense because cerberus probably has loads of platinum sitting in a spacewarehouse somewhere, but whatever.

Spent it all on shepard & normandy I guess

• Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User
    edited February 2010

Spoiler:

So, and I'm trying not be a right prick here, but you were, ah, pretty stupid, eh?
    Spoiler:

This is gaming for the lowest common denominator. It is textbook Blockbuster Syndrome. It makes the game less good than it could have been.

• Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well that's disappointing.

Like WetBandit posted earlier, someone on the forums confirmed that your damage during Adrenaline Rush was boosted by 100%. This makes it so, say, your assault rifle seems to have the same constant damage in and out of Adrenaline Rush, even though it's shooting half as fast.

They theorized that maybe something similar happened with the Infiltrator's slowdown but I just did some testing, and that's definitely not the case.

So that means.

Even with base Adrenaline Rush compared to Max Tactical Cloak+Sniper Slowdown Passive, Soldiers are better snipers than Infiltrators.

They get a 100% damage bonus compared to the 75% bonus, and while Adrenaline Rush and the sniper scope slowdowns aren't exactly analogous since one is 5 seconds with a 3 second cooldown and the other is potentially infinite, the passive Infiltrator slowdown alone provides no damage bonus and even the best iteration of Tactical Cloak has twice the cooldown and only 3/4ths the damage bonus.

Also means that the Viper is potentially a better Sniper Rifle than the Widow for a Soldier.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Spoiler:

So, and I'm trying not be a right prick here, but you were, ah, pretty stupid, eh?
    Spoiler:

This is gaming for the lowest common denominator. It is textbook Blockbuster Syndrome. It makes the game less good than it could have been.

the problem isn't that the game doesn't force you to do more tea leaf reading to select the "right" people. If this thread has shown us anything it's that people are bad enough at that as it is.
    Spoiler:

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Not stupid. Listening to the wrong part of the mission. It's not made clear - opening a door isn't necessarily convoluted. But when you hit ground the nature of the infiltration makes it clear what the issue is.

EDIT:
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    also I don't really see how it's bad that a soldier does more damage with guns than other classes; the whole point of a soldier is that they miss out on a bunch of other abilities and are awesome with guns.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
  • FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Glad to hear I wasn't insane being pretty sure that Adrenaline burst gave an enormous damage boost.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    also I don't really see how it's bad that a soldier does more damage with guns than other classes; the whole point of a soldier is that they miss out on a bunch of other abilities and are awesome with guns.

It never ceases to ammuse me when I hear people rag on soldier in ME2; I may not be able to blow out shields or make enemy's float through the air like slow motion skeet discs, but I make up for it by having a gun and ammo type for every possible scenario. Husks swarming me? Shotty with cryo rounds or area concusion shot. Ymir in my grill? Dick slap him with disrupter rounds spraying out of my assault rifle. Dillhole krogan trys to move up on me? I shoot him in each of his four balls with incendiary rounds from a heavy pistol. Vorcha chuds trying to start shit with rockets? sniper rifle goes boom: headshot.

On top of that, you got the assault rifle, which just feels dirty, what with it's awesome damage against EVERYTHING.

Spoiler:
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I lost
    Spoiler:

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I lost
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

wAgWt.jpg
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    I lost
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

His soul is obviously filled with dead ponies and hatred.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited February 2010
    I lost
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    I lost
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    Spoiler:

• RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After just finishing my playthrough, I lost one dude where I already knew I was going to lose him.
    Spoiler:

League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
    edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• reVersereVerse Never odd or even Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I would not suggest doing a mixture.
    Spoiler:

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Actually there's plenty of P/R that you can have total of one, and some of the other quite easily.

• reVersereVerse Never odd or even Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Actually there's plenty of P/R that you can have total of one, and some of the other quite easily.

Hm, yeah, I suppose I had continued doing paragon actions for a while after it was maxed out.

To some extent, however, I think it's better to lean one way more than the other.

4hNKbHH.png
    edited February 2010
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hm, yeah, I suppose I had continued doing paragon actions for a while after it was maxed out.

To some extent, however, I think it's better to lean one way more than the other.

Lean yes. My policy tends to be "go with what's appropriate" though, particularly in conversation options rather then just picking the "paragon" part of the wheel. Also because the renegade interrupts are frequently great.

edited February 2010
    Lean yes. My policy tends to be "go with what's appropriate" though, particularly in conversation options rather then just picking the "paragon" part of the wheel. Also because the renegade interrupts are frequently great.

Definitely. I think it was a great decision to keep the Paragon and Renegade meters separate as opposed to the old pendulum-style system. It allows me to punt fools out of windows, guilt-free.

4hNKbHH.png