As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] on your Knees

TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_MMo4rKFY

Metal [chat] is also innuendo [chat].

Tav on

• langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh god what is it

langfor6 on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    !!!!

Dropkick Murphys is going to be in Ireland in April.

I need to begin planning.
    I'm going.
    I’d have thought their lack of posturing would make them uninteresting to you.

Isn't their whole schtick about pretending to be Irish?

I mean, I like their music a lot, but that seems like posturing to me.

They do not in any way pretend to be Irish. They are very distinctly Irish-American. As in, distinct from actually Irish. Their lyrics constantly reference life in the city of Boston, for example.

I guess you're right. To be honest, I'm glad to see you saying Irish-Americans are so distinct from actual Irish people. I always feel Irish-Americans think they're the same as the Irish, and it bugs me.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Jesus I hate these idiots who think that driving a truck, jeep or SUV means they can do 60 on a snowy road. Attention assholes, there's this thing called black ice which means you're more likely to spin out and die than I am.

So satisfying to see a truck in the ditch this morning.
    Especially if the driver did die.

Nah, I could see him talking on the cellphone to someone. If I DO see a stranded vehicle crashed in a ditch, if I can't tell the driver and passengers are okay, I'll stop and check on them.

It's illegall not to, so yes

... I don't need laws to make me do good things?

you totally do

Actually it is perfectly legal in many states in the US to continue about your business and ignore the poor person.

And in a lot of the ones where it isn't, the penalty isn't any more than a fine.

you guys are fucked up

if you don't help a guy and he dies, you get hit hard here

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I lose

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also Bogart, if you ruin Arsenal Chelski, I will not be very pleased at all.

Tav on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If you listen to this you have horrible taste.

Daxon on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mathieu Bastareaud has a surname that is made for making fun of.

Also I'm not sure about this thing of Rugby referees having radio mics. It just means half the time I'm watching a group of burly men writhing around in the mud being lambasted by a Welshman.

japan on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jesus I hate these idiots who think that driving a truck, jeep or SUV means they can do 60 on a snowy road. Attention assholes, there's this thing called black ice which means you're more likely to spin out and die than I am.

Nah, I could see him talking on the cellphone to someone. If I DO see a stranded vehicle crashed in a ditch, if I can't tell the driver and passengers are okay, I'll stop and check on them.

you totally do

Actually it is perfectly legal in many states in the US to continue about your business and ignore the poor person.

And in a lot of the ones where it isn't, the penalty isn't any more than a fine.

you guys are fucked up

If you help a guy and he dies, you get hit hard here.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've honestly never heard of any such law that says you have to help people on the side of the road. I have an irrational fear of strangers so I'd be terrified it was all a setup anyway.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

I have the worst taste. I even saw this song played live on Tuesday. The place was full of people with awful taste.

Tav on
    edited February 2010
    I guess you're right. To be honest, I'm glad to see you saying Irish-Americans are so distinct from actual Irish people. I always feel Irish-Americans think they're the same as the Irish, and it bugs me.

It is a little hard sometimes because I grew up in a community filled with second- and third-generation Irish like myself, and then honest-to-goodness Irishman like my dad.

This is not at all unusual for Irish-American communities.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited February 2010

Try being around one of the biggest tourist traps in Ireland every weekend.

Ugh.

Tav on
    edited February 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I've honestly never heard of any such law that says you have to help people on the side of the road. I have an irrational fear of strangers so I'd be terrified it was all a setup anyway.

Somebody crashed their car for a setup?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited February 2010

you totally do

you guys are fucked up

This is only true sometimes, if a place has fucked up laws and/or if you a moron. Most places have a Good Samaritan act that protects you from liability as long as you're not being a retard about trying to help.

Like, dragging someone out of a wreck and exacerbating a spinal injury? Whatever, you were acting in good faith.

If, however, you then initiate CPR after establishing that the person is alive and breathing...

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010

No one cares about Arsenal Chelsea. Birmingham - Wolves is what the cool kids are talking about. premier League survival and mid-table mediocrity are at stake in that game.

Bogart on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My name is Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite [chat] on the forum.

Pony on
    edited February 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Mathieu Bastareaud has a surname that is made for making fun of.

Also I'm not sure about this thing of Rugby referees having radio mics. It just means half the time I'm watching a group of burly men writhing around in the mud being lambasted by a Welshman.

What? That's the BEST thing about rugby. The mics are such an awesome idea.

Oh god this dude is growling in the song D:

Daxon on
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I had to think about that for a minute.

The Blarney Stone?

poshniallo on
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I love it when an Irish-American with no real connection to his heritage decides he's going to visit Ireland, and wears a flat cap because hey, that means he's a working man!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010

you totally do

you guys are fucked up

This is only true sometimes, if a place has fucked up laws and/or if you a moron. Most places have a Good Samaritan act that protects you from liability as long as you're not being a retard about trying to help.

Like, dragging someone out of a wreck and exacerbating a spinal injury? Whatever, you were acting in good faith.

If, however, you then initiate CPR after establishing that the person is alive and breathing...

uh, whoops

I meant if you don't help him

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I had to think about that for a minute.

The Blarney Stone?

Temple Bar

it's like, the place to go drinking in Dublin if your a tourist

Tav on
    edited February 2010

uh, whoops

You did say if you don't help him. Look again at the quote tree.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010

uh, whoops

That is what you said. Look again at the quote tree.

yes I am fully aware of that

typo!

EDIT: No wait. Fuck I'm slow today. Blame it on the hangover.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I have the worst taste. I even saw this song played live on Tuesday. The place was full of people with awful taste.

I'm really bitter about that.

Blakout on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    2-3

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I love it when an Irish-American with no real connection to his heritage decides he's going to visit Ireland, and wears a flat cap because hey, that means he's a working man!

It's the green beer that weirds me out.

Why the fuck would you spoil perfectly good beer like that?

Oh, plus hating the English and imagining everyone in Ireland fucking loves the IRA.

poshniallo on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

uh, whoops

You did say if you don't help him. Look again at the quote tree.

Man is he still drunk.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

No one cares about Arsenal Chelsea. Birmingham - Wolves is what the cool kids are talking about. premier League survival and mid-table mediocrity are at stake in that game.

2nd and 3rd playing each other with five points in the difference? nom nom nom

Tav on
    edited February 2010

uh, whoops

That is what you said. Look again at the quote tree.

yes I am fully aware of that

typo!

EDIT: No wait. Fuck I'm slow today. Blame it on the hangover.

:)

What Matt was saying was that if you help a person who's injured in the US, and you mess up and hurt them somehow, you get sued big time. I then explained that that isn't as true anymore as it used to be.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Oh nooo, I'm looking at computer components. I can't spend money on an i7 upgrade, I need to buy a telescope!

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    You'd think people would start to catch on that every store in the Citadel could not be my favourite store, but this didn't occur.

Daxon on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'd think people would start to catch on that every store in the Citadel could not be my favourite store, but this didn't occur.
    And it's the fucking Paragon option.

Thomamelas on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Good Samaritan laws are so haphazardly applied and vary so much from place to place, the chance you'll be sued for helping is just too high for most people to get involved. Pulling someone out of a wrecked car that's on fire and you exacerbate their spinal injury might be covered, pulling someone out of a wrecked car that isn't on fire and you exacerbate their spinal injury might not. In several states, Good Samaritan laws only apply to trained medical personnel, and even then only when they're acting as volunteers and not on duty.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And it's the fucking Paragon option.
    Yeah I thought that was really weird. So much so that after I did it once I refused to take advantage of them again. Only one store has my recommendation.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

Oh, plus hating the English and imagining everyone in Ireland fucking loves the IRA.

Gahahahaha

A lot of it is just that people like to feel like they're a part of something exciting and expressing their support for a mythical ethno-religious revolution across the ocean is just the way to do that without actually having to do anything.

Another (much smaller) part of it is that there are a lot of people here whose parents and/or grandparents came here to get away from that shit and inherited their bitterness.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

Green beer is so you can tell who to mug (no pun intended) on St. Patrick's Day.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To be perfectly honest, even second and third generation acts as a fairly mighty barrier. Especially dependent upon the level of ghettoisation present. Hard to replicate the effects of growing up in a specific culture, without you know, growing up immersed there.

Leitner on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    These kinds of assholes are why we have Good Samaritan laws in the first place.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/6614808/pregnant-woman-dies-after-paramedics-refuse-to-help/

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so, in our apartment, we share our bedroom wall with our next-door neighbors' bedroom

they're a young couple, just like us

the apartment's pretty good for soundproofing, but usually we can hear them pretty clearly when they're fucking (which means they can probably hear us, too, but whatever)

anyway, this morning i am trying to sleep in a bit and i am woken up by my neighbors catchin' a little morning delight.

i try to ignore it and keep sleeping and then suddenly i hear a series of loud bangs and crashes that are pretty unmistakably a body or two hitting a hardwood floor

and the panting and moaning stops and i hear them going "FUCK, ow, god damn it" "shit, are you okay?" "yeah, are you okay?"

pretty sure one or both of them fell out of bed or something

i had to get up and walk into the kitchen so they wouldn't hear me busting a gut laughing

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.