As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Left4Dead: The End

1192021222325»

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FrostMist wrote: »
    Very Happy that I changed group day 1 :)

Nice game Burn ^^ enjoyed it lots!

what was the most common skill on players?

What where the combinations that made the different special zombies?

I had twisted Fire starter (AoE) and ended up a spitter. It seemed our Chargers had melee perks.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Very Happy that I changed group day 1 :)

I had twisted Fire starter (AoE) and ended up a spitter. It seemed our Chargers had melee perks.

I was a medic with Speed Freak.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thouroughly enjoyed watching this game unfold.

Tiphareth on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Excellent, Burnage! That was my first phalla (could you tell?), very entertaining. Many thanks.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Burn, even though you took my chainsaw away for a grenade launcher. The fact that I spent the final night healing tehsloth instead of fighting is counteracted by the thoroughly badass narration that sloth and I got the night we took out 11 waves by ourselves.

=D

Delmain on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Very well done Sloth! It's nice to know we didn't die for nothing.

Also, tanks really seemed to hate me this game.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Field Surgeon + Twitchy = Screamer
    Made sense in a way. Screamer doesn't do damage, is twitchy and wrapped in a psycho suit.

Though the traits were terrible as infected as I couldn't revive anyone (which of course didn't escape Kay's notice) or do considerable damage (first night no waves of zombies, second it failed to incap IRC as their damage dealers had no problem with all the waves).

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    second it failed to incap IRC as their damage dealers had no problem with all the waves.

Mwahahahahaha.

Delmain on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kime wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    =I picture myself as the one who was dodging all over the place... =

That's probably because you were!

Stupid El Skid dodging my charge :(.

I did no damage the entire game. Go me :P!

Also, the original Group H proboard: http://eaturbrainz.proboards.com/index.cgi. There's not much there sicne we all zombie-fied fairly quickly....

Teehee.

I took the "not worth bothering to attack me" build with 40% dodge and 50% counterattack- seems to have gone okay...Maybe I should have lobbied for a weapon a bit sooner though.

El Skid on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I shot a zombie to death

Gumpy on
  • Options
    CoreGoonCoreGoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it was a fun game, even though I screwed up on the last night. I forgot to take the adrenaline shot, so there goes 60 damage with 75% accuracy out the window. :P

Good question. I'm wondering that too, and were there any skills that didn't get taken at all?

Personally I went with Sharpshooter, Deadshot, and Vengeful. For some reason I got this image of a grim gunslinger in my head. 8-)
    Uh, and somehow I managed to read Deadshot as 25%+50%=75%, meaning you'd have 25% chance without it. :oops:

CoreGoon on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I investigated people for infection, and then shot at a tank.

I could have picked my traits a little more intelligently, and also, I could have remembered to re-insert myself into Group GMT. Buh.

Honestly. I'm smarter than I seem to be in these games, just not when I'm Phalla-ing.

Really enjoyed the game, Burnage. Would play again! Having reserves step in to fill the shoes of bled-out survivors is neat, though I think it was just for inactive survivors? You could maybe re-run it with more initial infected (Shalmelo and Roman were the only people that started that way, right?) and replenish the survivor population every other night with reserves?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think that would actually make a really badass main, although definitely not without some sort of automated calculations, as people were saying earlier.

On a side note, I'll make one if you'll run a main!

Delmain on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If somebody (including myself) automated the calculations, I would definitely run this as a main. As it was, though, running the numbers for just thirty people was enough of a nightmare. :P

On traits; I think "medic" was the most popular - ten people took it. Which reminds me of one change that I'd make if I were to run this again; I'd split up the medic and field surgeon traits into three or four new ones. Being able to revive dead players to full health and check for infection/immunity was a tad powerful for two traits, even if it did weaken your combat abilities a bit.

Nobody took "I won't miss you" or "con artist". Zandracon's build actually made me laugh - twitchy, clairvoyant, and spy. Just seemed to suit him perfectly.

On infected traits; damage increasing traits still worked, as some of you realised a bit too late (hi Infidel!), and also changed which infected you were likely to become. Ranged were smokers, melee were chargers or hunters (with sly/swift players more likely to become hunters, and tough/tank players more likely to become chargers), area of effect were spitters. Boomers and jockeys were most likely for those players who had no combat-related abilities.

The screamer was a unique special infected; whilst they were still alive, all waves of zombies (except boomer-spawned ones) would attack the group they were in. Using it on Team IRC was kind of wasteful, as on the day Alegis joined them they basically had enough firepower to take out a wave without a scratch. Any other group wouldn't have fared nearly as well.

One more potential rules alteration. Pills were useless, in hindsight, so I might change them to be used automatically to prevent incapacitation. Might make them more valuable.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That definitely makes them more useful.

And my offer stands, you run this, I'll write an (admittedly probably shitty, but workable) app to handle all the math. Nothing pretty like Inf's thing for Fire Emblem...

Delmain on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    On infected traits; damage increasing traits still worked, as some of you realised a bit too late (hi Infidel!), and also changed which infected you were likely to become. Ranged were smokers, melee were chargers or hunters (with sly/swift players more likely to become hunters, and tough/tank players more likely to become chargers), area of effect were spitters. Boomers and jockeys were most likely for those players who had no combat-related abilities.

See, the latter is all what I had surmised from your description of traits and infected. The type they would become etc.

Allowing the traits to function still means that you had some infected feeling useless while others were outright OP, but I should have expected that cause Burnage phalla. :P I'd suggest trying to balance the infected better where you don't have traits in full effect, since combat are the only ones that matter and they make it pretty hard to balance the game right. Make them all a little more lethal especially if they work in pairs+, and ignore the traits after they're spawned.

Oh, and pills being a save-me item would be an interesting change.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitely think having some sort of app to handle trades etc would be good.

As it was, someone on a proboard would say "I've traded this item to you", but you didn't get timely confirmation unless it was early in the day or Burnage happened to be on. Because Burnage is...you know...human. So basing trades and changes of action based on an unconfirmed trade to you is risky ("I'll use the grenade launcher that X is trading me to do this..." when you don't know for sure that the person is infected and screwing with you),,,yeah. Automation and instant trade notifications are handy.

It would also allow for updates on what happened to you- as it was, I went through about 3 days of no update PM at all- Did I hit what I was attacking? Did something swing at me but miss/get dodged? Having all that information available would be nifty.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So what you're saying is you'd like Fire Emblem functionality! :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh by the way Team GMT I was a Spy

alol

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Because Burnage is...you know...human.

Slander

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Because Burnage is...you know...human.

Slander

He only purports the biological similarities, not the emotional or moral.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitely think having some sort of app to handle trades etc would be good.

As it was, someone on a proboard would say "I've traded this item to you", but you didn't get timely confirmation unless it was early in the day or Burnage happened to be on. Because Burnage is...you know...human. So basing trades and changes of action based on an unconfirmed trade to you is risky ("I'll use the grenade launcher that X is trading me to do this..." when you don't know for sure that the person is infected and screwing with you),,,yeah. Automation and instant trade notifications are handy.

It would also allow for updates on what happened to you- as it was, I went through about 3 days of no update PM at all- Did I hit what I was attacking? Did something swing at me but miss/get dodged? Having all that information available would be nifty.

I actually liked it the way it was. The "Maybe he's infected and he's fucking with me" thing was ok for me. The only thing I'd've done differently is be consistent about trade PMs. I'd've just not sent out any PMs other than after narration. It was right there in the OP, the only thing needed for a trade is that the person with the item send in a PM saying what item was being traded and to whom. I'd then take all the trade PMs I got in the day and do the trades simultaneously, so there's no worrying about "Oh no, I'll overwrite your serum when I send you the adrenaline before you can give me the serum to take up my empty space". It adds a layer of subterfuge to the infected players' abilities.

The update PMs are kinda the same thing. I think we were supposed to know whether our attacks hit or not or whether we were attacked or not. Maybe a PM if you dodged because of a trait but only then to make it seem like the trait is useful. Really though, you don't need a PM if your stats haven't changed that day, and it adds doubts if you don't know whether your 120 damage chainsaw hit or not.

I can definitely see how it's a taste thing though. I prefer not knowing and going on instinct and speculation, but I can understand people who want hard facts.

Delmain on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One more potential rules alteration. Pills were useless, in hindsight, so I might change them to be used automatically to prevent incapacitation. Might make them more valuable.

Pills - Free Action - Give you 30 temporary HP which wear off at the start of the next day. If an attack would incapacitate you that night, you survive on your feet on 1HP.

Sound good?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delmain wrote: »

The update PMs are kinda the same thing. I think we were supposed to know whether our attacks hit or not or whether we were attacked or not. Maybe a PM if you dodged because of a trait but only then to make it seem like the trait is useful. Really though, you don't need a PM if your stats haven't changed that day, and it adds doubts if you don't know whether your 120 damage chainsaw hit or not.

I can definitely see how it's a taste thing though. I prefer not knowing and going on instinct and speculation, but I can understand people who want hard facts.

It definitely could be a taste thing. I figure a) I'd like to know if I'm being useful. Because not getting an update PM for the first half of the game left me wondering. and b) you'd think you'd know if you hit something or not given you made an attack action. Or if you triggered a counterattack. Or if that counterattack hit.

If Burnage didn't send all that out because it was too much of a strain on his potentially-human body, took too much time etc, then Fire Emblem functionality would be good. If he was trying to leave us in the dark...then I guess that's okay as it is. Similarily, from the OP it seemed like Burnage would try and respond when he could to trades...it just didn't always happen, or happen right away. If that was because of his nigh-humanity, then an app would help with it.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I guess what I'm saying is that Infidel should code a Left 4 Dead iPhone app and make a shitton of money.

El Skid on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also in hindsight using thief on Day 1 was probably not the smartest move, I vastly underestimated the strength of the horde and considering I was a heavy ranged survivor I could have been more useful shooting zombies. (Although with my luck in rolling-to-hit that may not actually be the case.)

As a result I was incapped day 1 and became infected making thief just that more useless. I was expecting more backstabbing among the survivors and was hoping to be able to arm myself despite that but instead it was much more SurvivorVsPhalla than I originally thought.

If i had to do it over, Deadshot most certainly. then more than one of my three smoker attempts might have gone through....and maybe on the witch day I might have gotten someone pulled into her ;)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That was a lot of fun. Thanks for running it.

Pie you now have 2 grudges.

I suppose getting my whole group infected is pretty diabolical, even if it was my job.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If somebody (including myself) automated the calculations, I would definitely run this as a main. As it was, though, running the numbers for just thirty people was enough of a nightmare. :P

Image my mecha phalla. At least you didn't let anyone change their builds each night. My head hurt from running it.
    Nobody took "I won't miss you" or "con artist". Zandracon's build actually made me laugh - twitchy, clairvoyant, and spy. Just seemed to suit him perfectly.

Let Zandracon build a role and he will surprise you. He when Glass Cannon in Mecha and got 2 kills a night, and when untouched the whole game. Quite little goose.

It was a great game and I hope to see it as a main.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Image my mecha phalla. At least you didn't let anyone change their builds each night. My head hurt from running it.

Let Zandracon build a role and he will surprise you. He when Glass Cannon in Mecha and got 2 kills a night, and when untouched the whole game. Quite little goose.

It was a great game and I hope to see it as a main.

Oh man.

I suggested this build would fit him perfectly on the night the mini started except for my posting it for all of IRC to see, he got somewhat mad at me in chat(as mad as Zandracon gets..)...causing everybody in chat to pretty much assume he won't be using that build.

Of course, he uses it anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zandracon thought that up before I suggested it to him, but I'm pretty proud I at least independently thought of a build so suiting of him.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright, final words on potential alterations in a repeat.

The waves were overly difficult at the beginning, and too easy to defeat at the end. Changing them to 10 HP each instead of 20, and implement two sizes of wave; a small 5-15 for the first few days, and a larger 15-30 size for the later days. Increase the threat as the survivors gain better weaponry. A similar change might be to increase infection rate from 10% per hit to 20% (or to not re-use the anti-viral serum idea).

I'm torn on whether special infected shouldn't have access to traits, or should be unable to use items/revive people. Asking them to revive/heal turned out to be a fairly easy way for them to be found out - but whether that's a good or bad thing is hard to say, especially if medic/field surgeon gets nerfed.

Maybe a list of infected-specific traits that players can pick from when they turn might be an improvement, I don't know.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It would be interesting to have a choice between retaining human traits to better disguise yourself or becoming a more powerful, but more difficult to conceal, full-fledged member of the undead.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sneaking up on the tank to kill him was hilarious, considering I was a human tank myself. Silly impostor.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If somebody (including myself) automated the calculations, I would definitely run this as a main. As it was, though, running the numbers for just thirty people was enough of a nightmare.
    I'm still waiting to run my L4D main. :(

Write it, Blarney is consistently waiting on people to run mains.

Delmain on