As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The X-Thread

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate Ultimate.

Astonishing is awesome.

I don't even know any of the characters in New X-Men except X-23, who's Yet Another Wolverine Clone.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate Ultimate.

Astonishing is awesome.

I don't even know any of the characters in New X-Men except X-23, who's Yet Another Wolverine Clone.

Ultimate is awesome. Why do you not like it?

Should I not like it?

I sometimes like the wrong things. Thank god the internet is there to put me straight.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bobgorila wrote:
    I hate Ultimate.

Astonishing is awesome.

Ultimate is awesome. Why do you not like it?

Should I not like it?

I sometimes like the wrong things. Thank god the internet is there to put me straight.

Ultimate X-men is the worst of the Ultimate ongoings. Even BKV's run was lackluster, and I don't know how that is possible.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I haven't met an Ultimate series I haven't liked so far, but admittedly Ultimate X-Men is low on the totem pole of Ultimate offerings.

It started off excellent, but I've found some of the storylines a bit strange, and the character interactions to be a bit unrealistic. That being said this is a comic about a team of mutants who have really freaky powers. But still...

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    I kind of liked valley girl Sooraya and Jubilee.

For serious.

I think it's interesting that the New X-Men actually have a normal person on their team. When's the last time an X team had a non-mutant on the squad, Ms. Marvel? David doesn't even have any awesome powers either.

Adjectiveless has [spoiler:4afff35208]Karima, who's a human Sentinel. Even then, she's still got some super powers, so it's still a change of pace to see a normal person running around with an X-team.[/spoiler:4afff35208]

werehippy on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love how people feel the desire to comment on X-23 without even reading the fucking books...

Yes, X-23 is a clone of Wolverine... literally, a freaking clone. But what's awesome about her is that she's still really messed up. Wolverine is nice because he's bitter and violent... X-23 just seems lost... she actually has some humanity to her that Wolverine completely lacks. In fact, she may be the clone, but she's already twice the character he is. So bite me.

Second, all the X-books are doing really well right now... but the ones you can always count on are:

1. X-Factor. Hasn't had a single bad issue in this run so far. It is almost a perfect book.
    2. Astonishing X-Men: It has some highs and lows, but overall it's pretty fantastic. Whedon really knows the characters well, and it shows.
    3. New X-Men (Post House of M): After House of M, this book just became awesome. They did kill off a ton of characters, but they brought back Stryker as a villain who was legitimately evil, the first really EVIL villain I've seen in Marvel in a while.

My two cents, enjoy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I hate to admit it, but I really like the X-23 character. It's always advantageous to have a loose cannon on the team who can go batshit insane and kill all the enemies while the rest of the team have an ethical debate.

But it seems alot of people tend to dismiss X-23 as "yet another Wolverine clone", and look no further. I thought NYX was an excellent read.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a complete run of Adj-less up to the end of Morrisons run which was godly. I find I'm incapable of giving a damn about any new mutants, so I don't follow New or Academy.

I have every issue of Uncanny from 120-400 when things got all shitty with Chuck Austen and I stopped caring about X-Men in general as teh creative team/roster switchups became seasonal.

I still pick up Astonishing and Ultimate because teh art and writing is superb, I'm almost convinced on checking out Bachalo's book because I am a whore for his work even if it pales in comparison to his older stuff. I own all of Gen X, R.I.P. Once a trade is out, I'm all over it.

I also really dig X-Factor but then I loved it back in the 90s as well before they killed it off.

I am angry that charcaters I love like Nightcrawler go to waste on horrible space missions. Who is the artist on Uncanny lately? I guess I grew up and became loyal to particular artists and writers, not series or characters.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saint2e wrote:
    I thought NYX was an excellent read.
    I thought it stumbled and kind of lost it's stride towards the end a bit.
    Did any of the characters in that other than X-23 ever show up in anything again?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2007
    Astonishing is fantastic, and has two of my favorite characters in comics on the team. In a way, Astonishing is the book that got me to start buying comics, since my art teacher/cross country coach would lend some issues out, and I started branching out. Really slowly.

Going in, and having no idea who Peter David was, I was almost dreading picking up X-Factor. I don't even know why, maybe it was not recognizing any of the characters or something. Keep in mind I only started to really pick up comics at about the start of House of M, and it'd been mainly Ultimate books up until then.

Well, now X-Factor is easily one of my favorite books. X-Men is also somewhat of a surprise. Uncanny is solid, but I think sprawling space epics are kind of not Brubaker's forte.

And I stopped picking up Ultimate X-Men in the Magical arc. I like Invincible and Marvel Zombies and everything, but Kirkman's run has been at best mediocre. And I've paged through some of the Cable arc, and it's not doing anything to draw me back in.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So yeah, the new X-23 issue has cameos by the Mythbusters. That made me giggle.

animale on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    animale wrote:
    So yeah, the new X-23 issue has cameos by the Mythbusters. That made me giggle.

Well shit.

Looks like I'll be buying that this week.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saint2e wrote:
    I hate to admit it, but I really like the X-23 character. It's always advantageous to have a loose cannon on the team who can go batshit insane and kill all the enemies while the rest of the team have an ethical debate.

But it seems alot of people tend to dismiss X-23 as "yet another Wolverine clone", and look no further. I thought NYX was an excellent read.

Listen to this man. NYX was great. I'm still waiting for a follow up to that miniseries. Come on Marvel. DO IT.

Also, I love X-23. She may be a stone cold killer and a trained attack dog, but she hasn't let it kill her humanity. Oh, and she will fuck your shit up pretty hardcore if you mess around with her friends. She also has this vibe about her that always makes me think of that chick from Star Trek Voyager, 7 of 9.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never read any X-23 comics on purpose. I had enough after Evolution.

When Marvel said they were going to release the current X-Men and Uncanny X-Men runs (the 12 planned issues) in deluxe hardcovers, I decided to wait. And it's killing me. I got so sick of Salvador Larroca that the thought of reading another X-Men issue had me on edge.

They had better release them as they planned, or blood will be shed!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    saint2e wrote:

Listen to this man. NYX was great. I'm still waiting for a follow up to that miniseries. Come on Marvel. DO IT.

Also, I love X-23. She may be a stone cold killer and a trained attack dog, but she hasn't let it kill her humanity. Oh, and she will fuck your shit up pretty hardcore if you mess around with her friends. She also has this vibe about her that always makes me think of that chick from Star Trek Voyager, 7 of 9.

Humanity? I don't see much humanity in a character who kills pretty much indiscriminately. I picked up the latest New X-Men (thanks to people in this thread clearing up my misconceptions), and I like her even less now. The only thing that is vaguely appealing about her to me is that she strikes me as similar to Cassandra Cain, who was a character I really liked.

Also, I thought Hellion was having trouble controlling his powers. He seemed to be pretty well in control in that issue.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:
    saint2e wrote:

Humanity? I don't see much humanity in a character who kills pretty much indiscriminately. I picked up the latest New X-Men (thanks to people in this thread clearing up my misconceptions), and I like her even less now. The only thing that is vaguely appealing about her to me is that she strikes me as similar to Cassandra Cain, who was a character I really liked.

Also, I thought Hellion was having trouble controlling his powers. He seemed to be pretty well in control in that issue.

With the exception of blowing a sizable hole in the Danger Room trying to make a paperclip dance.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Talking about his display of powers in the issue that came out yesterday. That's what I mean, one issue (and seemingly a few hours earlier) he's ripping apart rooms, the next issue, he seems to be pretty much on top of things.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:
    saint2e wrote:

She kills so easily because it's literally what she was born and raised to do. Human life isn't something she was taught to value all that highly. That hasn't seemed to stop her from wanting to protect others (and not just the New X-Men; see NYX).

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    Talking about his display of powers in the issue that came out yesterday. That's what I mean, one issue (and seemingly a few hours earlier) he's ripping apart rooms, the next issue, he seems to be pretty much on top of things.

Ack, sorry about that. I haven't opened my comic delivery box yet today, so I didn't realize there was a new issue from today.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:

I dunno... basing your feelings off of one issue... honestly, the first X-23 miniseries is what sold me on X-23... we're talking about a little girl that was essentially tortured for the first 14 years of her life. How the hell do you think she would turn out? They made her kill the closest thing she had to a mother... there is something really interesting about having someone who's totally fucked up on the team... fucked up in a way Wolverine could never touch.

Also, I think Hellion was having trouble controlling his psychic powers. His green blast of death seems pretty well under control.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As posted in the Ask Whippy thread, I <3 Astonishing SO MUCH, I can barely contain my excitement for the next tradepaperback.

I also like what I've read of Ultimate, but I'm not sure it's feasible for me to drop several hundred dollars buying up all the trades, so I just browse them on lunch hours at Indigo books.

I've got the trade that collects the X-23 backstory, and honestly I kinda liked the character. I've flipped through some of the other issues with her in them, and I could see myself appreciating her just fine, again, if I could justify buying all the comics per month that I want to.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There's a DVD out there (apparently legit, because I've seen it in Best Buy) that contains all the back issues of Ultimate X-Men. I don't know how close it will bring you to the current, not-yet-in-TPB run, but it's less expensive than buying all those trades.

Also, on X-23, I admit I'm not basing my opinion on a lot of material, but it is more than one issue. I've been following New X-Men for a good six or seven months now. I also admit that my bias against the character is mainly born out of my distaste for Marvel's exploiting everything about Wolverine, sometimes (it seems) just to rake in cash from fools who will buy anything with his face on it.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    There's a DVD out there (apparently legit, because I've seen it in Best Buy) that contains all the back issues of Ultimate X-Men. I don't know how close it will bring you to the current, not-yet-in-TPB run, but it's less expensive than buying all those trades.

Also, on X-23, I admit I'm not basing my opinion on a lot of material, but it is more than one issue. I've been following New X-Men for a good six or seven months now. I also admit that my bias against the character is mainly born out of my distaste for Marvel's exploiting everything about Wolverine, sometimes (it seems) just to rake in cash from fools who will buy anything with his face on it.

And the funny thing is, I totally agree with you. Marvel does exploit Wolverine a great deal, and I was never a fan of derivative super heroes to begin with, or heroes that originated in a cartoon series... maybe I went into the first X-23 mini with completely low expectations... but that mini was really well done, and I'm now able to look past her as a wolvie clone.. besides, she has FEET claws!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sentry wrote:
    ...or heroes that originated in a cartoon series...

Even Harley Quinn?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bobgorila wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

Even Harley Quinn?

Most likely the exception to the rule.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

Even Harley Quinn?

Most definitely the exception to the rule

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bogart wrote:
    New X-Men is pretty good, having just got over its killathon storyline which saw half the cast (the dull half) blown away.

:(

[spoiler:48c9e1fd07]I liked Wallflower. I don't even know why, but I did.[/spoiler:48c9e1fd07]

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

Even Harley Quinn?

Did Batman Beyond originate Batman..er...Beyond?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Blackjack wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    New X-Men is pretty good, having just got over its killathon storyline which saw half the cast (the dull half) blown away.

[spoiler:797ea5eb61]I liked Wallflower. I don't even know why, but I did.[/spoiler:797ea5eb61]

I distinctly remember being upset over this as well.

[spoiler:797ea5eb61]I really wanted Jay Guthrie to hang around, too. DAMN YOU, REV. STRYKER![/spoiler:797ea5eb61]

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saint2e wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

[spoiler:ebab39b8b3]I liked Wallflower. I don't even know why, but I did.[/spoiler:ebab39b8b3]

[spoiler:ebab39b8b3]I really wanted Jay Guthrie to hang around, too. DAMN YOU, REV. STRYKER![/spoiler:ebab39b8b3]

However, we get a pretty cool villain out of it. Wither is going to go insane. I also liked how they were referencing that in the latest New X-men.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    saint2e wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

[spoiler:aa9775252e]I liked Wallflower. I don't even know why, but I did.[/spoiler:aa9775252e]

[spoiler:aa9775252e]I really wanted Jay Guthrie to hang around, too. DAMN YOU, REV. STRYKER![/spoiler:aa9775252e]

However, we get a pretty cool villain out of it. Wither is going to go insane. I also liked how they were referencing that in the latest New X-men.

I guess they just got rid of anyone whose powers didn't lend themselves to a more action-oriented book. They could have just had them leave the school, but why do that when you can brutally murder them and up the emotional impact of the story?

"What do you do?"

"I'm a high-powered telekenetic with an attitude problem"

"You can stay. Next. And what do you do?"

"I have pheromone powers that can affect peoples feelings and cause all sorts of interesting high-school soap-opera storylines and are great for angst and tearful worries that they're out of control and"

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

"Next."

David's the exception to the rule, of course, but they sort of needed at least one level-headed character to stick around and act as the voice of reason.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well the thing about X-kids is that most of them die at one point or another. Some of them will probably be ressurected though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bogart wrote:
    I guess they just got rid of anyone whose powers didn't lend themselves to a more action-oriented book. They could have just had them leave the school, but why do that when you can brutally murder them and up the emotional impact of the story?

"What do you do?"

"I'm a high-powered telekenetic with an attitude problem"

"You can stay. Next. And what do you do?"

"I have pheromone powers that can affect peoples feelings and cause all sorts of interesting high-school soap-opera storylines and are great for angst and tearful worries that they're out of control and"

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

"Next."

David's the exception to the rule, of course, but they sort of needed at least one level-headed character to stick around and act as the voice of reason.

The House of M arc showed us that Laurie's powers could be used for much badassery.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Malkor wrote:
    Well the thing about X-kids is that most of them die at one point or another. Some of them will probably be ressurected though.

Yeah... young x-men have a history of death... for some reason associated with religious zealotry...

Synch, Skin... we hardly knew ye...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I just read Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous last night for the first time. Wow. Better than the first trade by far, and a real shocker to say the least.

Any indication of what fallout there might be from the Professor X reveal (besides the obvious loss of the respect of his most faithful student)?

Also, anyone care to refresh me on Emma's status with the Hellfire Club? [spoiler:dfb8bdac26]Were the people on Genosha really the Hellfire Club or just an illusion created by Cassandra Nova to help her in taking over Emma's mind? Or were the Hellfire people talking to Cassandra Nova without Emma's knowledge?[/spoiler:dfb8bdac26]

I started reading with Issue #16, so I'm a bit fuzzy on what happens between the end of Dangerous and that issue. I also never quite understood what happened with [spoiler:dfb8bdac26]Cassandra Nova and Emma.[/spoiler:dfb8bdac26]

"Why must you keep saying things that I will never be able to stop remembering?"

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    I just read Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous last night for the first time. Wow. Better than the first trade by far, and a real shocker to say the least.
    You're the only person I've seen so far voice a preference for the second arc of Astonishing. Some of the later issues were possibly ghostwritten, if internet rumours are to be believed.
    Briareos wrote:
    Any indication of what fallout there might be from the Professor X reveal (besides the obvious loss of the respect of his most faithful student)?
    That's about it so far, although Danger is still kicking around in the background of Astonishing, so she might not be done yet. Cyclops lack of trust in Xavier has taken a real battering of late, what with this and the events of Deadly Genesis.
    Briareos wrote:
    Also, anyone care to refresh me on Emma's status with the Hellfire Club? [spoiler:ea977178c0]Were the people on Genosha really the Hellfire Club or just an illusion created by Cassandra Nova to help her in taking over Emma's mind? Or were the Hellfire people talking to Cassandra Nova without Emma's knowledge?[/spoiler:ea977178c0]
    It's, uh, complicated. Your best bet is to read the third trade when it comes out. Or read this pretty good Wikipedia summary - scroll down to the hellfire bit.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So Ultimate X-Men is pretty much supposed to be the shit, right?

I picked up the first "Ultimate Collection" or whatever, and while I'm enjoying it, I don't quite see yet why it's hyped so much. What other X-things would you all recommend I read? Or should I keep going with the Ultimate?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zeromus wrote:

I picked up the first "Ultimate Collection" or whatever, and while I'm enjoying it, I don't quite see yet why it's hyped so much. What other X-things would you all recommend I read? Or should I keep going with the Ultimate?

Well, supposedly [spoiler:c9d879450e] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:c9d879450e] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

Well, supposedly [spoiler:6188395114] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:6188395114] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

The Cable arc was great. For one they fixed one of the shittiest characters in Marvel's history and managed to make him somewhat interesting and for two, at least there was some action.
    Plus Ultimate Six Pack

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

Well, supposedly [spoiler:f0c0430d82] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:f0c0430d82] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

The Cable arc was great. For one they fixed one of the shittiest characters in Marvel's history and managed to make him somewhat interesting and for two, at least there was some action.
    Plus Ultimate Six Pack

Wait, what? They may have made Cable less fucktastic, but it's still an idiotic character. Whose backstory makes absolutely no sense, yet again. I was praying that they aren't actually from the future, and just saying they are, because that would be fantastic.

Fencingsax on