As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google Buzz

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
http://www.google.com/buzz

Google Buzz seems to be Google's attack on Twitter and a potential build-up to taking on Facebook and Myspace.

It essentially creates a twitter-like connection between contacts all within your gmail inbox. Not only that, but it'll be using Google's search engine technology to filter the buzzes you see to thinks you're actually interested in--as you mute or follow certain updates it'll learn what you're interested in and attempt to tune itself to your preferences.

Right now it definitely seems like a rough beginning, as some of the bits and pieces of navigation and features are a bit odd, however, knowing Google, it is going to have the shit tweaked out of it as time goes on.

What do you guys think of it? Think its going to take off? Think its going to quickly be forgotten like Google's first attempt at social networking (orkut)?

Personally, I like the idea, but its a sort of "wait and see" for me at the moment. I'm still waiting for Wave to really come into its own. :P

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mine hasn't activated on my account yet. :(

Supposedly you can integrate it with Twitter and Facebook as well and get notifications and comments threaded into your e-mail, rather than use the standard Facebook email notification. That sounds pretty cool.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last I heard orkut is still a big deal down in Brazil.

I might give this a shot.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    whole lotta BUZZ for nothing

see what i did there

i bet no one else will come up with that

theSquid on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, I tuned it off as soon as I heard about it...I have no desire for Google to start making my Gmail inbox filled with buzz, and make it a half/twitter, half myspace, and to interconnect all my contacts and everything. I don't WANT that, I like having things a bit compartmentalized, but I may be unique on that front.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last I heard orkut is still a big deal down in Brazil.

I might give this a shot.

But come on, who cares about Brazil? :P

As for the Twitter thing, you can have it go from Twitter to Buzz, but not from Buzz to Twitter. But that's supposedly going to change down the road.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Heh, I tuned it off as soon as I heard about it...I have no desire for Google to start making my Gmail inbox filled with buzz, and make it a half/twitter, half myspace, and to interconnect all my contacts and everything. I don't WANT that, I like having things a bit compartmentalized, but I may be unique on that front.

Well, there is a separate inbox for Buzz stuff, at least.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last I heard Orkut was kind of a hackers playground. Has that changed?

theSquid on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mine hasn't activated yet either. if it's popular and/or awesome i might just bounce from facebook.

retrovm on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been disliking facebook more and more, and liking gmail, well, just as much as always, which is infinity.

This could be neat when it activates on my account, and I'd be down to try it. It makes more sense than twitter, which I like somewhat too, especially with the geo-location features.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Facebook has been driving me crazy lately. They drastically change their layouts without giving the option to use a "classic" skin or whatever, and half the time it eats posts for a couple hours before they show up.

And the sad part is that there's no alternative to it. So I'm definitely hoping Google can manage something--and I think with the Wave-based apps and such, they have a real chance to beat facebook at just about everything.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm still trying to find a reason to like wave. :(

taeric on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    taeric wrote: »
    I'm still trying to find a reason to like wave. :(

Hehee, same here. I was all about Wave for a while, had a D&D group that was about to start, chatting with Steampunkers, looking forward to everything and then, woosh. It all dried up. Hehe, I think it's Engadget who is still making a book about how Wave is amazing and will change everything, even after a lot of people have moved on.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lifehacker seems to have a rather thorough article up explaining Buzz, you might want to read it:

http://lifehacker.com/5467841/google-buzz-explained

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I see Wave becoming more of a proof of concept, and having most of the features eventually integrated and streamlined into Gmail, making Gmail some sort of be-all integrated site like Facebook with pictures, status updates like Twitter, and live updating conversations like Wave.

Wave server will probably be joined with the Gmail backend somehow and mash it all together. And then it will be in beta for the next 10 years.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I see Wave becoming more of a proof of concept, and having most of the features eventually integrated and streamlined into Gmail, making Gmail some sort of be-all integrated site like Facebook with pictures, status updates like Twitter, and live updating conversations like Wave.

Wave server will probably be joined with the Gmail backend somehow and mash it all together. And then it will be in beta for the next 10 years.

This makes sense. The weakness of wave, to me, is that it doesn't seamlessly integrate with everything else. When I started using gmail, none of my friends had to be using it for me to get any benefits. Not so with Wave. It would be nice if it could take in emails, let me write up all of the response, and then it would take that and send it back as an email if I wanted it to.

Edit: So, I evidently have buzz activated now. I will give it props for being integrated with gmail.

taeric on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Buzz is like the love-child of Facebook and Digg.

The worst part of Digg is all the Diggers. Have you read the comments lately? I'd rather know what my friends think about stuff.

The worst part of Facebook is too many friends who aren't really friends. I'd rather not hear about how cute your cat is or the 8th update of today about how your 5 year can't stop wetting himself.

My real friends have my real email and I might actually give a crap about what they think is cool. For that reason, Buzz has potential. But my friends shat on wave before they even tried it so who knows?

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok, no later did I comment that I hadn't gotten Buzz when I logged into my wife's account and she had Buzz activated, which prompted me to log into my own account and Buzz was now active. First impression - it's a desolate wasteland of emptiness considering that no one I know is using it yet. Second impression - This could be really nice. Post pictures to picasa, people get the Buzz notification and can comment on it. I can put out a tweet-like status update, and people can have a conversation about the topic. I'm sure a ton of other things I haven't even gotten into yet. Now I just need to get the rest of my family and friends to activate it and start using it with me. And get those not yet on Gmail to switch over.

It's definitely the right moment to release this, considering Facebook just alienated 90% of their population with the new look, lack of simple filtering, and how much it's broken right now. I got so many errors just trying to post on Facebook that I was using Buzz it was ridiculous, and my Blackberry app is completely broken since I guess they rewrote the backend so however it pulls the news and status updates doesn't work anymore, so I can only use it to send in new status updates.

I do wish Google had gotten the Blackberry app ready before launch, as I can't use it yet but at least it's coming soon.

While I do like the individual segments of my life which are MySpace (practically dead to me now), Facebook (too many friends who aren't really friends but I knew them once 10 years ago), and e-mail, I do wish sometimes that I had a really nice, simple way to integrate everything.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can see this being really cool, when people start using it.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh man, it's live on my account now. it's pretty cool and definitely something i'll be using.
    never used google wave. is that any good?

retrovm on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't want gmail to work like wave. I'd rather have a messageboard built on wave.

Don't know that I can care about Buzz. We'll see.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Meh. 'sallright. At least it's unobtrusive in my inbox. Don't see it becoming the center of my day anytime soon.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do like how if you get a "comment" it shows up as a standard email in your inbox. You can then respond or do any other buzz action. Depending on how that integrates with other services, this could be really cool.

taeric on
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like Wave except it ran like a one legged man on my computer. Granted I do need to build a new rig but made me peg my cpu at 90%. I been playing around with buzz on my phone. I like it so far.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It wasn't your machine. :( Wave as a platform has potential, but as an application it left a lot to be desired.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, Wave is still pretty broke-ass. Lots of crashes, and in any wave over 50 blips or so it crawls like a mofo. It runs a bit more stable in Chrome, but I'm a FF man and I'm not launching a separate browser just for Wave. It would be nice if they could make it a bit faster/better/stronger.

Michael H on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wave is really not working very well for me. I have two-second typing lag on a pretty beefy rig, even when running Chrome.

Buzz, on the other hand, I already enjoy far more than Twitter.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Reason58Reason58 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys,
    I was actually just wondering if you think that Google as a company has validity in the social networking arena. It looks as though they are trying to build up to a socially active network but maybe not to the degree that Facebook or Twitter provides, and maybe they are content to being the in-between in this regard. To me it seems that they are more focused on a personal friend network moreso than Facebook, then again it occurs to me that it may just be how my own Gmail is set up, as it is really only my closest friends. Do you guys think that they are trying to expand their social networks to the same degree as the major social networks?

Reason58 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That sounds like a homework question or something.

Everybody is trying to do social networking stuff. Hell, this isn't even Google's first stab at it. Of course they are trying to expand into it more.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That sounds like a homework question or something.

Everybody is trying to do social networking stuff. Hell, this isn't even Google's first stab at it. Of course they are trying to expand into it more.

The certainly have the resources to use the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach.

Michael H on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To be hones, Orkut was a side project created by a minor employee that got the least possible amount of support from google, unlike other side projects like Gmail. And then fucking Brazilians* swarmed the damn thing like a plague of locusts. It had the worst possible page-setup, horrendous servers, terrible navigation, bugs, it was unsafe, and very very static. Not dynamic at all.

They tried to revamp the thing now, but even Brazilians are flocking to Facebook now. I don't think Orkut has much of a future.

*I'm Brazilian.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This Buzz nonsense is going to get out of control pretty quickly. Anyone you have ever emailed is on your Buzz list, any public Buzzs you make show up to everyone on your list and if someone else makes on your list you get notified about and then see everyone on their contact list responding.

I wish there was a way to turn it off.

Can't wait for Buzzgate, when someone accidently posts something not meant for everyone to see in a public Buzz and it slowly makes its way around the entire internet due to everyone being connected somehow.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

There is: Scroll right down to the bottom of your gmail page and click the "turn off buzz" link. It's small and well hidden but it's there

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Buzz desperately needs an actual app. Their mobile page blows.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This Buzz nonsense is going to get out of control pretty quickly. Anyone you have ever emailed is on your Buzz list, any public Buzzs you make show up to everyone on your list and if someone else makes on your list you get notified about and then see everyone on their contact list responding.

I can't believe they made it so that when they tell you about Buzz and you select "No thanks" it turns it on anyway and sets it so your contacts can see your other contacts. I know the general public seems to care jack about their privacy rights but this move is enough to make me turn in my Google Fanboy card.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    2rxfaja.png

MKR on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what the hell is that?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what the hell is that?

A screenshot of the subject of discussion in this thread.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the privacy aspect does raise some issues, but i really don't post anything super remotely personal publicly on the internet anyway, though being flooded with comment emails is super annoying. the "my contacts" list is hilariously outdated since i haven't used gmail as my primary email account since 2007.

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Can't wait for Buzzgate, when someone accidently posts something not meant for everyone to see in a public Buzz and it slowly makes its way around the entire internet due to everyone being connected somehow.

Is it any different than Twitter? Don't post shit you don't want public if you're not willing to take the extra second to make sure its set to private.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    the privacy aspect does raise some issues, but i really don't post anything super remotely personal publicly on the internet anyway, though being flooded with comment emails is super annoying. the "my contacts" list is hilariously outdated since i haven't used gmail as my primary email account since 2007.

you can turn those off by filtering all mail with words "label:buzz"

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert