As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xootr - Adult Sized Kick Scooter

SeguerSeguer of the VoidSydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of getting a scooter so instead of 25min walks to and from work I can make it 10 minutes and it seems like Xootrs are the way to go, compared to Razors.

Does anyone have and use one, and what is it like? To and from work for me is fairly level, which means I'm not carrying it up hills or having heart attacks going down hills. The CBD for Sydney also takes me about 30-35minutes to walk to - how good are the carry straps etc for walking around with on the street/in shops?

Seguer on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    $200+ dollars? Buy a bicycle. It's infinitely more useful for when you do need to tackle hills and you can carry things on it. Think about the big picture. Also, 100% less getting laughed at.

Though I suppose if you're looking for maximum portability this would be a way to go. The reviews look solid, it just seems really impractical for anything beyond a level trip.

Esh on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm really looking at portability - if I ride a bike into the city, where do I lock it up? I also have nowhere to store it in my building/unit, which is really what makes a scooter so appealing.

Seguer on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Seguer wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really looking at portability - if I ride a bike into the city, where do I lock it up? I also have nowhere to store it in my building/unit, which is really what makes a scooter so appealing.

I have no idea about Sydney but a lot of cities in the US are getting pretty good for accommodating bicycles. City buses have bike racks on them and there are back racks all over cities, if you can't find one I don't think it is illegal to lock it up on a sign/bench/whatever immobile object you can find within reason.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eh, Sydney's not too bad - it's mainly that there aren't that many bike racks around, and I'm pretty sure we can lock them to whatever (never seen a ticket on a bike :P)

The thing with bikes though, is I think I'd have to ride on the road, and that would be an experience in itself.. oO. Scooters we're allowed on the footpaths.

Seguer on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have you looked into folding bikes? A bicycle shop I used to frequent had some that some and they were very fun to ride around. They look a little dorky, but if you were going to buy a scooter, clearly you don't care about that. The best part is they'll ft in a backpack.

http://ridethisbike.com/products/Kent/compact-Nexus-3-speed-folding-bike.htm

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I have no idea about Sydney but a lot of cities in the US are getting pretty good for accommodating bicycles. City buses have bike racks on them and there are back racks all over cities, if you can't find one I don't think it is illegal to lock it up on a sign/bench/whatever immobile object you can find within reason.

Parking signs, stop signs and the like are the worst thing in the world to lock a bike to. It takes less than five minutes of determined work to wiggle one out of its hole in the ground.

Lock to parking meters, benches, the sort of stuff that doesn't wiggle about when you yank on it.

Sorry, just had to point out how useless most signs are for securing a bike.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Since your looking for portability, how about a set of roller blades? I think they would get you there faster and be easier to store at home or school.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Folding Bike: interesting but about double the weight of the scooter, and I live up many flights of stairs :(

Roller Blades: I'd have to carry another pair of shoes everywhere and keep changing shoes basically. Not very convenient if I'm going into the CBD to do some shopping etc...

Seguer on
  • Options
    maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    there are roller blades that attach to sneakers

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you should really research the folding bikes that are made now. you'd be surprised about the weight/size

check out the Strida bike:

http://www.myfoldingbike.com/

it's about 20lbs (8-9Kg?) so you can easily carry it on your back if you need to, and it folds into the size of a scooter basically

this particular one is pretty expensive (compared to a scooter, not a bike), but there are other interesting designs out there... i've even seen one that's primarily designed for office workers, and to avoid getting grease on their suits (or skirts, or whatever) it has a rubber belt drive instead of a lubricated chain drive :D

illig on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Another vote for some kind of bicycle here. A folding bike would probably be perfect for you.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but even a folding bike is about 2x heavier than a scooter and costs more anyway, neither of which are attractive regardless of how well it folds :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    have you considered a longboard

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have terrible balance on skateboards, are longboards any better? I'm hoping that a scooter, due to having a handlebar, will help me with the balance :P

Normally I have excellent balance, but skateboards take me down a peg.

Seguer on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Folding Bike: interesting but about double the weight of the scooter, and I live up many flights of stairs :(

Roller Blades: I'd have to carry another pair of shoes everywhere and keep changing shoes basically. Not very convenient if I'm going into the CBD to do some shopping etc...

As opposed to having to find a place to lock up a bike or a scooter? To each their own i suppose.

Grimm on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You will be mocked, but this is coming from a guy who owns a pair of heelys so i'm just speaking from experience here. Why not check into a know ped too, just so you have the full scooter options.

http://www.goped.com/products/knowped/default.asp

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Grimm wrote: »

As opposed to having to find a place to lock up a bike or a scooter? To each their own i suppose.

The scooter folds up and can have a carry strap to carry it on your back.

Know Ped: looks interesting, didn't find this at all in my earlier searches for kick scooters. Also cheaper..!

Seguer on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have terrible balance on skateboards, are longboards any better? I'm hoping that a scooter, due to having a handlebar, will help me with the balance :P

Normally I have excellent balance, but skateboards take me down a peg.

well, longboards are bigger (they come in a variety of size) and thus are more stable, for sure

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Grimm wrote: »

The scooter folds up and can have a carry strap to carry it on your back.

Know Ped: looks interesting, didn't find this at all in my earlier searches for kick scooters. Also cheaper..!

Know ped are nice, plus there are alot of aftermarket options if you're into that sort of thing. I was going to buy one but i decided to spend my money on a lowrider bike instead.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    L0ckL0ck Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    *BUMP*

Hi Seguer

I used to pedal a bike... until I got my first kick scooter. That was ten years and over 20,000 km ago.

When the US Consumer Products Safety Commision studied kick scooters (hospital admission statistics) what they found was the kids on kick scooters were having half as many injuries as their classmates on pedal bikes and that the scooter injuries were less severe. They also concluded that kick scooters and pedal bikes are both far safer than skateboards and inline skates...

And good design and quality materials (Xootr, Knowped, as noted) also make a huge difference to scooter safety, as many "scooter" injuries are only due to the cheapest toy scooters having too small wheels and sharp edges and parts that snap.

The Europeans call kick scooters "foot bikes" and you can look at the popular Kickbike brand to see what these look like.

The kick scooters I am familiar with also have a "power-assist"... a motor and battery pack, so they are human-electric hybrids, which transforms the vehicle really.

If you are interested in what power-assist foot bikes are all about you can google the forums at Endless-Sphere and hook up with the folks in the "Stand-up E-scooters" sub-forum...

Cheers
    L0cK

L0ck on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The more you skate the better your balance will improve. I am recommending a skateboard though and not a longboard.

Shogun on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shogun wrote: »
    The more you skate the better your balance will improve. I am recommending a skateboard though and not a longboard.

longboards are better for travel

humble on
This discussion has been closed.