Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Runewars PbP] Game 02 - Game Over - Infidel / Uthuk Y'llan Victory!

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
runewars-logo.png
Runewars

From the preview video:
It is a time of war. The scribes and sorcerers of the land of Terrinoth have tapped into the power of the mysterious dragon runes. Though they comprehend only a fraction of the true potential of these artifacts, the rulers of the realm understand all too well that he who controls the dragon runes controls Terrinoth. Blinded by aspirations of power, and covetous of the runes of their neighbors, the leaders of human, elf, undead, and uthuk raise massive armies and march against each other. At the same time, brave heroes venture forth from their home cities on perilous quests in the hopes of claiming a dragon rune for their king, and eternal glory for themselves.

Game Overview
Runewars is a game of fantasy empire building. Players must expand their empires to increase their resources and send hired heroes out on quests in the hopes of capturing precious and powerful dragon runes. The game is played over seasons of play, each player taking one action per season. The game ends once a faction has accumulated six dragon runes or six years have passed; in the latter case, the player with the most runes wins. In case of a tie, the tied player with the most influence wins, and if a further tiebreaker is needed, the tied player with the most starting influence wins.

Races and Units
Spoiler:

Seasons and Game Flow
Spoiler:

Order Cards
Spoiler:

MrBlarney on
chirisigtext.png

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Diplomacy and Combat
    Spoiler:

Heroes and Quests
    Spoiler:

The Fate Deck
    Spoiler:

Dragon Runes
    Spoiler:

Game Setup
    Spoiler:

Rules for the Play by Post Format
    Spoiler:

Resources
    Rulebook, from Fantasy Flight Games
    Errata & FAQ, Ver. 1.2, from Fantasy Flight Games

OP written by MrBlarney

chirisigtext.png
    edited February 2010
    Signups

Signups will be open until about 8:00PM PST on Monday, February 15, 2010, or when 4 players have signed up, whichever is later. Sign up in bold text in some bright color. If you have a preference for a faction to play, put it in your signup post. Four players will be randomly selected from all players that sign up and factions will be assigned as best as possible according to preference.

chirisigtext.png
  • DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reserve up

If you don't get enough players, I'd love to play, but I'm already Uthuk in the first game.

• admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I've read most of the rules for this, but had to stop because I could no longer contain my erection.

... was that TMI?

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User
    edited February 2010
    That was TMI

Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    !yarrrrrrrrrrrr

TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • VertrucioVertrucio Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Traitors the lot of ya! :P

• DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    Traitors the lot of ya! :P

No, no, fans.

Looks like a fun game, want to play more, etc. :D

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sure, I'll give this a try- first time player, but looks iiinteresting.

edit- read through rules fully, definitely looking forward to giving it a try.

mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

wrath God fear traitor evil
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    !sign up

Should be interesting to see how this translates. Been drooling over the board game since it was announced.

steam_sig.png

edited February 2010
    Player Selection and Map Setup

Of the five players that have signed up, our four players have been randomly selected and factions randomly assigned:

Kias - Waiqar the Undying
    Spoiler:

admanb - Daqan Lords
    Spoiler:

Infidel - Uthuk Y'llan
    Spoiler:

El Skid - Latari Elves
    Spoiler:

(Sorry, samurai6966. But you will be first substitute if a player drops from the game.)

Each player has been randomly drawn two map units to place. Starting with Kias, each player will place one of their tiles on the map, making sure that each added piece is adjacent to at least two hexes already placed. Once all tiles have been placed, Kias will decide the locations of the home realms, ensuring that they are connected to the map by at least three free-movement edges and are all at least four areas apart (exception: one pair is allowed to be only three hexes apart). Then, starting areas will be selected, starting with admanb.

I will do my best to update the map as quickly as possible when necessary. For now, Kias can choose one map segment to start things off. When building the map, be sure to think about making a balanced setup - you may not be able to get a position that you want!

Blank Map
    Spoiler:

chirisigtext.png
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User
    edited February 2010
    It's cool. I was about to post that I would have to become a reserve anyhow. I got some test coming up and I'm still trying to work on my Pokemon Pen and Paper Roleplaying Game, plus learn nWoD Vampires, and work on 2 phallas, and get a girlfriend, and get my truck fixed, and find the cure for cancer, and solve world hunger, and stop global warming...

Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, some times I just want to get my farm in shape without being bothered by green explosive dildos.
    edited February 2010
    Yay I'm in! :D

edited February 2010
    Sweet, necromancers R' us!

Go ahead and put tile 7 in the middle with 7a facing up (like it currently looks in my spoiler box).

steam_sig.png

edited February 2010
    Are we selecting home realms in the same order we're laying tiles here?

edited February 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    Are we selecting home realms in the same order we're laying tiles here?

Home realms are pre-set for each race. We select where it goes after we build the map and the first player (me in this case) sets the starting locations up.

steam_sig.png

edited February 2010
    Yeah, I was wondering if I would get to choose my starting loc, seeing as I'm placing last. Alas, this doesn't seem to be the case.

edited February 2010
    The first player chooses where players can potentially start. However, after he does that, each player then chooses one of those locations to place his home realm at, with the first player going last.

Kias means that your actual tile that represents your home realm is pre-set, it matches what your faction is.

edited February 2010
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    The first player chooses where players can potentially start. However, after he does that, each player then chooses one of those locations to place his home realm at, with the first player going last.

Kias means that your actual tile that represents your home realm is pre-set, it matches what your faction is.

Oh excellent. See, that's the answer I was trying to get. Looking back, I just asked the wrong question :P

edited February 2010
    Don't be afraid to put in gaps and bends, those can add a lot to the game.

edited February 2010
    I'm curious- is it possible to end up with one or more starting locs that are only accessible by flying units and/or during winter?

Cause that would be very...interesting

edited February 2010
    I'm curious- is it possible to end up with one or more starting locs that are only accessible by flying units and/or during winter?

Cause that would be very...interesting

No, as home tile set up rules prevent it (*edit* the locations you can choose from for you home realm must touch three non red/blue [mountain/water] area borders), but you can have them set up with built in choke points, i.e. a single area that leads to your home realm. Just remember, this can cause more difficulty than its worth as it limits your ability to reinforce and spread out.

There are also tactics cards that let you pass through mountains, so relying on them too much can get you in trouble.

steam_sig.png

edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm gonna keep quiet now. Already I've given away too much of my cunning plans!

edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm gonna keep quiet now. Already I've given away too much of my cunning plans!

Mwa-hahah, Waiquar has the measure of you sir:

m194475334.jpg

steam_sig.png

edited February 2010
    Map Setup

Current Map
    Spoiler:

Unplaced Hexes

admanb - Daqan Lords
    Spoiler:

Infidel - Uthuk Y'llan
    Spoiler:

El Skid - Latari Elves
    Spoiler:

Kias - Waiqar the Undying
    Spoiler:

admanb is up to place.

chirisigtext.png
    edited February 2010
    Kias wrote: »

Mwa-hahah, Waiquar has the measure of you sir:

TURTLE

You wrong me sir.

As a good-aligned race, it is my destiny to bend the land to my will....by the sword.

Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    Place 2C on 0606/2B on 0705.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
    edited February 2010
    Infidel is up next.

edited February 2010
    Place 8A on 0508 / 8D on 0505.

Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
    edited February 2010
    5a at 805, 5b at 806

edited February 2010
    If I'm not mistake, 2A is on 806...

(edit: gonna see if I can't throw together a quick map update)

edited February 2010
    Runewars-Game02-Setup01b.png

edited February 2010
    That isn't right cause mine is one higher to touch two existing hexes.

Speaking of which, was your first move ok? Two of your hexes touch an existing one, but only one existing hex is touched when there should be two right? What's the exact wording here?

edited February 2010
    Yeah, Infie's should be higher, and I thought yours was different too...

edited February 2010
    Yeah I noticed that. I moved it, but you may have to empty your cache.

You may be right about that though. Let me check the rules while we're all online...

edited February 2010
    Revise my move so 2B is on 704 and 2C is on 705. Sorry!

edited February 2010
    In that case, make mine go from 0907 (8A) to 0606.

edited February 2010
    Like so:

Runewars-Game02-Setup01c.png