As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC (The Curse was MAN! What a TWEEST!)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Congrats people who got it.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got some spare time to make these for ya. Here's your tokens so far:

COTCTGroupPIC.jpg

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oooo, those look good. And I just now noticed that the shifter has the same facial expression as the gnoll does.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's pretty amusing.

Busy busy this weekend. I will do my best to get the short summary written you were asking for before Sunday eve. Maybe between periods of the gold medal game on Sunday.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is certainly an interesting mix for a group. Should make things plenty interesting.

I've updated my sheet of Orokos and put up a Myth-Weavers sheet here. Added some daggers, climber's kit, and thieves' tools which all sound like tools that any good assassin should have in the first place.

I also wrote up the short description. Let me know if shot enough or whether I need to trim it a bit; it turned out a little bit longer than I thought it would.
    His tribe and siblings destroyed, Rothril was raised by a guild of Assassins. He was trapped in a life of servitude until he saw the opportunity to escape when the guild was in the midst of a bloody restructuring. Now free, Rothril is searching for the people responsible for his tribe’s death all the while not turning a blind eye to who could his help. Currently, Rothril is looking at exacting some justice against Gaedren Lamm who tricked Rothril into doing some of his dirty work.

SnowSquall on
    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My character should be ready to rock and roll.

Let me know if my backstory needs to be touched up in any way, it might be a bit too long.
    Leaving the oppressive atmosphere of the Shadowfell, Sevren found his way to Korvosa nearly a decade ago. He knew right away he had found the perfect place to capitalize on his knowledge of arcane principles. He is constantly on the lookout for new ways to bend the arcane fabric of the universe to his will, and has recently been concentrating on a fine line of magically enhanced clothing that is sure to rocket him to well-deserved fame and fortune. After being mugged while on the way to pick up some research materials, Sevren has had enough of his former employer, Gaedren Lamm, hindering his success. He now requires revenge, and has focused his obsessive mind on taking down Lamm.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Check back in a few hours for chosen submissions.
    I'll also post all honourable mentions as well (basically anyone who earned 2nd place from the selection).

You never got around to this, TiamatZ! It would have been interesting to know who the 'B-Team' might have been.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's my short bio
    Canary was ready to redeem herself, at least for taking the innocent life. After all, she was accustomed to this life of luxury; adventuring meant giving some of that up, but not all of it. She would make sure that she did things right from here on out, but one thing stands in the way of incriminating her and exposing her lie. Using the gifts Selena had taught her she would make sure that Gaedren Lamm was no longer a threat to her by any means.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Short bio for Vashrun.
    Driven by a desire for justice for his slain family, Vashrun is immersed in The Hunt, a sacred tradition of his family to seek out their destiny and bring it fruition. His prey is none other than Gaedren Lamm, and the shifter will not be denied his quarry. While he wishes it otherwise, he knows that will most likely have to get his hands dirty in his pursuit.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Check back in a few hours for chosen submissions.
    I'll also post all honourable mentions as well (basically anyone who earned 2nd place from the selection).

You never got around to this, TiamatZ! It would have been interesting to know who the 'B-Team' might have been.

Almost forgot... here were the honourable mentions (AKA the B-Team) that I almost chose, but the others were better.

Leaders:
    Nistal Tivana, Human Bard (Sakutian) Post
    I liked his character background, but ultimately, I really enjoyed firemanfred's character and build.

Controllers:
    Basi Gastuca, Human Wizard (FelixSomethingSomething) Post
    Really no surprise here, since I only had 2 choices here for this Role. Also liked Felix's familiar.

Defenders:
    Atherton Kess, Human Swordmage (Kay) Post
    Strangely, this was the role I had the most difficulty in choosing, if only cause all these entries rocked. If not for Bob, I would have chosen Kay's entry, only because of the idea of a swordmage with a wise-cracking raven backing him up to be a novel idea (no seriously, someone write a book about this; this is absolute gold here).

Strikers:
    Blossom Stillwater, Elf Monk (Dac) Post
    Mawl Immall, Gnoll Barbarian (dresdenphile) Post
    Varis Lorenthi, Elf Ranger (Delmain) Post
    Annibal de Coconas, Halfling Sorcerer (McKid) Post

These four were notable, not only because of character build, but also their details. These were excellent, and I would have chosen from these if I didn't had Snowsquall or bladecruiser's entries.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here's the cast section so far (Will repost it in the IC thread):

The Cast (AKA the party):

BoB.pngBanana-Man as Bob, the Warforged Fighter – A mysterious warforged with no memory of his past, Bob's only goal is to rescue the one real friend he has from the maniacal clutches of an evil crime lord. Armed with a preternatural ability for combat, he is prepared to 'dismantle' anyone who gets in his way, or die trying.

VashrunWildrage.pngbladecruiser as Vashrun Wilderage, the Razorclaw Shifter Monk- Driven by a desire for justice for his slain family, Vashrun is immersed in The Hunt, a sacred tradition of his family to seek out their destiny and bring it fruition. His prey is none other than Gaedren Lamm, and the shifter will not be denied his quarry. While he wishes it otherwise, he knows that will most likely have to get his hands dirty in his pursuit.

SevrenBalducci.pngFiremanfred as Sevren Balducci, the Shadar Kai Artificer - Leaving the oppressive atmosphere of the Shadowfell, Sevren found his way to Korvosa nearly a decade ago. He knew right away he had found the perfect place to capitalize on his knowledge of arcane principles. He is constantly on the lookout for new ways to bend the arcane fabric of the universe to his will, and has recently been concentrating on a fine line of magically enhanced clothing that is sure to rocket him to well-deserved fame and fortune.

Canary.pngReg Rysk as Selena "Canary" Mediore, the Changeling Wizard - Canary was ready to redeem herself, at least for taking the innocent life. After all, she was accustomed to this life of luxury; adventuring meant giving some of that up, but not all of it. She would make sure that she did things right from here on out, but one thing stands in the way of incriminating her and exposing her lie. Using the gifts Selena had taught her she would make sure that Gaedren Lamm was no longer a threat to her by any means.

RothrilShadowmane.pngSnowSquall as Rothril Shadowmane, the Gnoll Assassin – With his tribe and siblings destroyed, Rothril was raised by a guild of Assassins. He was trapped in a life of servitude until he saw the opportunity to escape when the guild was in the midst of a bloody restructuring. Now free, Rothril is searching for the people responsible for his tribe’s death all the while not turning a blind eye to who could his help. Currently, Rothril is looking at exacting some justice against Gaedren Lamm who tricked Rothril into doing some of his dirty work.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IC thread finally up!

Time to introduce yourselves.

Also, if you guys don't like the opening of your character's discovery of the card, drop a PM to me with your own version, and I'll gladly replace it.

Also: I noticed none of you have anyone trained in religion or streetwise.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have to say, I loved your character concept Banana. I hope you can keep those creative juices flowing, it's a great read already. Plus I'm sure Sevren will be interested in learning more about you, as he hasn't had a chance to study a warforged up close before....yes very interested.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Those with a passive perception of 12 and higher (Basically everyone but Bob and Canary) are able to spot that Zellera's door is unlocked.

No doubt she knows you are coming and is waiting for you...inside.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Almost forgot.

Campaign name for Curse of the Crimson Throne when rolling in Orokos or Mythweavers is: PA CurseOfThrone

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    @firemanfred:
    Judging from the tapestries, incense and other assorted knick-knacks across the room, you can confirm that Zellara's a fortune teller, and seems to fit quite comfortably in the middle class of Korvosa; a rare breed of class indeed found in a city that is quite known for the shocking social chasm between the poor and the nobility.

Once your all done talking and are ready to continue, just post a !Ready (in spoilers) in your IC post.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you have any more questions to ask Zellara, now's the chance.

Also, roll a 1d9 dice in the OOC to see what card you would draw (I'll post your card in the IC thread once everyone draws a card.)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Selena draws card 3

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Let's see...rolled an 8

Tarot roll: 1d9 8

SnowSquall on
  • Options
    Banana-ManBanana-Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Banana-Man on
    :shock:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tarot: 1d9= 2

Card #2 for me!

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awesome Banana-Man...simply awesome.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Awesome Banana-Man...simply awesome.

I don't think I can express how much fun writing for Bob is.

This whole group is just gonna kick ass.

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Card Choice: 1d9 5

Woo, the characters are all really interesting so far! This is gonna be great.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's pretty awesome that no one had to reroll due to getting the same card. I'll be interested to see what Miss Cleo has to say about our new cards.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And your cards have been posted.

Also:
    Zellara's Harrowing has foretold a momentous series of events in your future, and destiny has begun to guide your path. Each party member has received 3 "Harrow Points", which may be used at any time in the coming Act to alter their fate by gaining the following benefits:

Dexterity Rerolls: Spend a Harrow Point as a free action to reroll any one d20 roll modified by your Dexterity bonus. You must keep the new result, unless you have additional Harrow Points to spend for more rerolls.
    Reflex Defense: Spend a Harrow Point as a free action to force an enemy to reroll any one attack roll targeting your Reflex defense.
    Speed Increase: Spend a Harrow Point as a free action to increase your speed by 2 until the end of the encounter. You may only spend one Harrow Point per encounter in this fashion.

Also, during certain events in the Act, players will receive a small bonus for a short duration. The card selected by the PC during the Choosing determines which event this is. While the PC is participating in that event, he or she receives a +2 bonus to all d20 rolls modified by the Dexterity bonus, and gains a +1 bonus to Reflex defense. The benefits expire when the encounter ends.

The affected PC also receives a single action point that can be spent during this event, and which does not count against the normal limit of one action point per encounter. If it is not used during the encounter, the bonus action point is lost.

You earned 3 points due to the fact that 2 of the chosen suit (keys) were in the final choosing, as well as Sevren's card appearing again.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that was epic. I'm going to have to read it all again and let it rattle around in my brain for a bit.

Great way to kick things off, I'm loving it!

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, interesting effects. Less effective for me, but I'm going to venture that these effects were determined by the cards.

I really like this theme, hope it keeps up throughout the campaign.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that's a hell of a way to start things off.

I'm with firemanfred on this, I'll need to read it again and think about. But I got to thank you for giving me something to think about during what would normally be a dull afternoon at work.

SnowSquall on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I definitely wasn't expecting that. Too cool. :)

Like everyone else, I need to think through a lot of this stuff before posting.

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nice, I'm excited with the idea of the group banding together, but not being a jolly bunch of friends right off the bat.

So if we're off to see this Yargin guy, do we want to try and find him, or make him come to us?

It sounds like he's a sneaky fellow and I doubt we could corner him by tavern hopping. Even worse, the more places we visit without finding him the more likely he'll hear about an easily spotted group looking for him and be even harder to find, or will bring backup for a big fight.

Perhaps we could start a rumor about an uprising against Lamm and that a meeting for those interested was being held at a certain location. When he shows up to listen in, we grab him. All we need is a description and then split up and go about town delivering the message for the evening. We could have the "meeting" the next evening, giving us the day to prepare.

Thoughts?

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That is a pretty good plan. Canary would like the ability to go it solo and keep changing shape to avoid suspicion. It's possible with her history at the orphanage she knows some of the little thieves Lamm has under his wing and could portray them to make things suspicious. It may draw out some of the others as well.

She could also play the sultry woman looking for a bad boy, his minions would probably be eager to bring him to her or her to him. Many options, but let's see what the fortune teller gives us before we go too much into it.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Don't forget that Zellara has given you a solid lead, by telling you where Gaedren is currently hiding (in WestPier 17, as discussed here)

But if your after one of his subordinates, best bet would be to find him.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It seems like we're not about to run head first into his hide-out, taking out some of his eyes/ears (not literally Bob...sheesh) might be a good idea.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Then I guess asking around the harbour's the best you can do.

Or perhaps you could set up a rumour within the harbour district, and see if Yargin will spring your trap.

Just remember your !Readies when your all done at Zellara.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    It seems like we're not about to run head first into his hide-out, taking out some of his eyes/ears (not literally Bob...sheesh) might be a good idea.

I forgot to put FIGURATIVE STATEMENT in there, which is what I meant to say analogically, but I think I like it the way it turned out. Gives his two sides a bit more contrast.

But yeah, definitely a D: moment.

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm headed down to Cincinnati today and will be back mid-day tomorrow. I'll update then.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here, as I'm going to be flying out to Phoenix. I might be able to post something later tonight, but it's a pretty minute possibility.

Banana-Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just waiting on blade's !Ready.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am in class then free all day...not that I have nothing to do or anything...

REG Rysk on