Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E PbP] Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC (The Curse was MAN! What a TWEEST!)

TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn!Double TroubleRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Critical Failures
Curse of the Crimson Throne Act 1: Edge of Anarchy

Recruitment.jpg

“Why do I live here? Why live in the most regimented, law-abiding, oppressive city this side of Bloodsworn Vale? Answer’s simple, mate. With the Sable Company flapping around in the clouds, Hellknights stomping around on the streets, and the Korvosan Guard caught between them; no one knows who’s got jurisdiction over what. You just gotta know when to hide and know when to bribe. Now, you wanna buy this magic dagger or not?”
—Corb “Birdtongue” Meever, Cerulean Society Fence

Act 1: Edge of Anarchy

Korvosa, the Jewel of Varisia, has long sparkled on Varisia’s southern shore. The city was established nearly 330 years ago by the human empire of Nerath. After the empire’s fall, the city now commands its own destiny. A line of Korvosan kings and queens emerged to rule the city, establishing an infamous seat power—the Crimson Throne. Rulers have sat upon the Crimson Throne for more than two centuries, and the city has flourished. Yet the monarchy always seems on the brink of disaster. The Crimson Throne is not a prize to be won—it is a curse. No monarch of Korvosa has died of old age, and none have produced an heir while ruling. Even though King Eodred II controls Korvosa more fully than any previous monarch, that control remains tenuous, and many secretly count the days until their latest king falls to what they call the Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Introduction:

This is a recruitment thread for a campaign of 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, for a party of five 1st level PCs.

This will be my second time DMing a PbP game (the first being my Scales of War thread here). I ask that you please pardon my surely unavoidable errors and spelling mistakes (English was not a major of mine), and I shall endeavor to be the best DM I can be.

Anyone may post an application, but precedence will be given to new players, especially players not currently involved in any other PbPs (2 PbPs are okay, but don’t expect to get picked if you’re playing in more than 2 PbP), and players who have not played the Curse of the Crimson Throne (both 3.5 and 4th edition converted versions respectively) Adventure Path before. If you fit any of these criteria, please say so in your application post. In addition, anyone with experience as a DM and who would be willing to provide me with a little advice and guidance are particularly welcome.

Curse of the Crimson Throne was originally a D&D 3.5 Adventure Path released by Paizo in 2007. When 4th edition came out, a lot of people tried to convert many of the old adventure paths for the latest edition of D&D, CotCT being one of them. I have heard many good things regarding Crimson Throne (and it's previous AP, Rise of the Runelords), so I decided to run the first part of this campaign.

The Particulars:

Standard setup. This is a play by post game; character sheets on Myth-Weavers (if you already have a completed character sheet on Orokos, that’s fine too). Rolls on Invisible Castle (or once again, should IC throw a hissy fit, use of Orokos’s Dice roller is fine too). I, TiamatZ, will be the DM. PCs' minimum post requirement is the usual one per day. Habitual unexplained failures to post will result in your character being ejected from the campaign.

Party Order: 1 Leader, 1 Defender, 1 Controller, 1 Range Striker, 1 Melee Striker; OR Range Leader, Controller, Melee Striker, Melee Striker, Defender

Please submit a level one character created with the 22 Point Buy system. Maximum submissions are one per person (so choose/design carefully).

Submission should include the standard stuff:

- A link to the sheet (Myth Weavers or Orokos)
- The character's name
- A picture of your character (optional; for token creation purposes)
- Personality traits, mannerisms and appearances.
- Your ties to Gaedren Lamm (see below)
- The CB summary stuff.
- And lastly, I want to know your availability to post here in the forums, as well as what DnD 4th ed. pbp games you play here.

Important:
Spoiler:

For your character, pretty much any official DnD 4th edition material is acceptable (supplement books, Dragon articles, etc.), except with regards to the race and class (see Character Backgrounds and Feats section below). Be prepared to post technical info if I request it.

Note about alignment: I am lax about alignment- there is no need to mark something on the sheet unless you want to. Evil characters are allowed on the condition that they have well thought-out background/goals and have a strong reason to work with a team. No backstabbing the party, no killing the shopkeeper because you felt like it, and most importantly of all, don’t be a griefer; everyone’s here to have fun, but I will throw out anyone that tries to ruin everyone else’s experience.

Deadline: Deadline is February 26 6:00 PM (Mid afternoon; GMT+2 time). Expect the game to begin sometime in the following week (March 1-March 5).

Plans for the Campaign

To ease myself into the DM's seat, I intend to start the campaign by playing through CotCT Act 1 first. What happens next will be determined by how the game went. As we are playing CotCT, I'm slowly trying to convert the other acts of the AP to 4th ed. If it was a great success, then we’ll continue with CotCT Act 2: Seven days to the Grave in 3-4 weeks time after we finish Edge of Anarchy.

Character Backgrounds and feats:

Races Allowed (Those not listed are banned):
- All PHB 1, 2 and 3 races (With the exception of Githzerai)
- Changeling, Genasi, Gnoll, Shadar-Kai, and Warforged are allowed.

Classes Banned from campaign:
All classes are okay (even PHB 3 preview and Assassin classes are allowed), with the exception of Hybrid characters.

Backgrounds:
Players may choose general backgrounds (like those from the PHB 2 and Power books etc.) ONLY! No Forgotten Realms! No Eberron! No Scales of War! ‘Nuff said.

The campaign will take place in the 4th edition “points of light” setting, but in the far-off land of Varasia. Your PC may hail from anywhere in the city of Korvosa, or from its neighboring Shoanti tribes. Your character can come from all walks of life, from a begger trying to make ends meet in the streets, to an aristocrat born in one of the many noble houses of Korvosa (check post below for more details).

Players retain their 100gp, but gain the adventurer’s kit, as well as any level 1 magical item of their choice (that’s 360 gp worth) absolutely FREE.

Also all characters are required to have first names and last names. Come on people, be creative :mrgreen:.

Update 1: Removed Drow as a playable race, but added Eladrin back in to compensate.
Update 2: Moved the deadline earlier to Friday

TiamatZ on
Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    World Details:

Note: This is just merely to establish the world you'll be playing in, and it could offer some extra RP details about your character if you want.

Varisia (The land):
    Spoiler:

Korvosa (The City):
    Spoiler:

City Districts:
    Spoiler:

Organizations of Korvosa:
    Spoiler:

The people of Korvosa:
    Spoiler:

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd really like to take part in this campaign. I've never played in a play-by-post game, also I've never played The Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign. However I have DMed several real life campaigns and would be willing to lend a hand when asked to do so.

My character's name is Nistal the Valorous. Since a last name is required he was born Nistal Tivana but he is no longer permitted to use his proper name which suits him just as well. Nistal the valorous is his performing name within the many walls of Korvosa.

Here's his character sheet brought to you by Myth-Weavers.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=185858

Here's an image to be used for his token if he's chosen it's not perfect but it's pretty close to his actual appearance.
    Spoiler:

Personality Traits
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Character Background
    Spoiler:

I'm available to post here daily at a minimum barring some major blizzard or the like knocking out my power.

Oh just a quick note about Nistal's equipment, I used his gold to purchase a few things for him, basic weaponry and the like as well as ritual components. As it turned out he's now flat broke which sort of suits the character. If that's not allowed I'll change it back.

Here's the CB:
    Spoiler:

My Games

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life

Spoiler:
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've gotta get myself in this.

Will work on a character in a bit.

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, this looks pretty cool. Be nice to really create an in-depth character background like what you're asking for... as always, the hardest thing for me is picking a class, hehe.

• PMAversPMAvers You wouldn't have heard of it, anyway...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice.

Can't play myself, since I'm a Pathfinder subscriber, but I always did dig CotCT. You guys are in for one hell of a ride. :winky:

As a heads-up, you *may* want to nix Drow from playable PC races, unless you're changing Golarian Drow. They're... different. I'd post why, but it's a bit of a spoiler for a different AP, in case players might end up playing it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU!
    edited February 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Nice.

Can't play myself, since I'm a Pathfinder subscriber, but I always did dig CotCT. You guys are in for one hell of a ride. :winky:

As a heads-up, you *may* want to nix Drow from playable PC races, unless you're changing Golarian Drow. They're... different. I'd post why, but it's a bit of a spoiler for a different AP, in case players might end up playing it.

Thanks for the heads-up PMA. Granted, I've not really played any of the newer Pathfinder adventures (Last time me and some mates played some Rise of the Rune Lords a few years ago, just before 4th ed. came out), so I don't really know how Golarian Drow work. So I'll remove the Drow from playable races (but then place the Eladrin back in).

Some parts of Pathfinder I simplified for new players due to the amount of depth that is Pathfinder e.g. because the game takes place in the "points-of-light" setting, I've defaulted the old gods from Pathfinder to the gods from the DMG and PHB1, so that it's easier for divine characters to choose deities and gain access to their power feats.

• PMAversPMAvers You wouldn't have heard of it, anyway...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aww.

That means no Cayden Cailean, the mortal who became a god in a drunken bar bet. :mrgreen:

It's more thematic than zomg broken, but what about the Harrowed feat from the CotCT player's guide? Probably could just run it straight as-is...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU!
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited February 2010
    I've been wanting to play in a PbP on these forums for a while. I'll see if I can't come up with a character of some sort tomorrow morning.

edited February 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    It's more thematic than zomg broken, but what about the Harrowed feat from the CotCT player's guide? Probably could just run it straight as-is...

Game spoiler (don't read if your keen on playing):
    Spoiler:

Also: I read the Drow entry of Pathfinder. They are WAY different to the DnD version most people know of. So I figured that it was probably worth it that they're not allowed in the game.

• WoogityWoogity Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Very cool! ill take the time to read out all the particulars later and throw something up here. new to pbp never done this campaign before, and not involved in any pbps currently!

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I do want to do this. I haven't played AD&D since 2nd edition and was looking to get back into it. Never played PbP before, either... obviously. I guess I should pick up the PHBs and start reading, eh?

Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Selena "Canary" Mediore (pic forthcoming)
    Spoiler:

Sheet link

Peronality Traits and Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

I think this will work out quite nicely with Canary's back story (which may need a little customizing to fit this setting). Gaedren Lamm is the one who put her on the path to mark the wealthy Baron in exchange for a cut of his wealth. After her plan fell to pieces and she left the man, she never held her end of the bargain up and Gaedren got nothing of the Baron's wealth. But neither did Canary...

Summary from CB
    Spoiler:

I am available to post at least once daily easily. I am currently in one play-by-post game on these forums, and I DM a Maptools game of my own and have been for just over a year. Glad to offer any constructive criticism with mechanics of course. I have never played this adventure path, but it looks super awesome and a perfect fit for this character concept.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This looks pretty interesting!

I'm not in any other games right now, and I've never played CotCT or any other pathfinder modules. I haven't DMd much, but I frequently act as the idea man for my DM friends.

I'm at a college computer at the moment, but I can tell you now that I'm going for a paladin.

• SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rothril Shadowmane, Gnoll Assassin

Picture
    Spoiler:

History
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Personality/Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Well got the character concept up. I had this character mulling about my head since I first read the assassin info. I just have to get onto finding a picture for the character, which I'll probably have up before the deadline.

As for the other information. I'm current in one other pbp, Giant Ants. I'm pretty much able to post all week, usually in the evenings on weekdays due to work. But I'm usually checking up on the forums regularly.

Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • smeejsmeej Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Are we to submit only one character concept?

I'll make a proper submission soon, likely a Defender. I'm not in any pbp games and very interested in participating in one.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My background makes a slight assumption on how the Thieves Guild is run, I can rework it the guild works differently.

I am in 1 pbp right now, and have been in two others that died due to people not posting.

I am capable of posting everyday.

Rickard de'Lei, Half-elf Warlock, ranged striker.

Description
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

Personality Traits
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    Roscoe Alestorm: Human Rogue

Background/Ties to Lamm
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Personality Traits
    Spoiler:

Character Summary
    Spoiler:

I am available to post every day and if this changes for whatever reason ill be sure to let you know. Again im in no pbp games tho i play in two rl games and no strikers so far in 4e itching to play one. I have been wanting to play someone with this build for a long while now, love the setting btw:P

-Woogity

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, after much deliberation, i decided to give this one a shot. I'll be posting a wizard or druid character sometime today. It's definitely going to be a dwarf.

I haven't done a PbP before, but i played 4e for awhile.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite:Gremlidin
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bump and I'll either finish up this human wizard I've been thinking about or make something else because there are a lot of controller apps already.

Edit: Wait, no there aren't. Wizard it is.

edited February 2010
    Looks like a lot of people want to join up for this. Is there the equivalent of a LFG thread on this board for the folks that don't make it in?

Also: i might not make a druid/wizard now. Still a dwarf, but ranger/avenger/fighter have all entered into the arena.

Steam
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Likely gonna make a warlock myself.

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately, the is no LFG thread. For the most part people just lurk till they see a recruitment thread and then pounce.

• FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Basi Gastuca, Human Wizard
    Character Sheet

Portrait: (just the head and shoulders, not the sword)
    Spoiler:

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Personality Traits:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms:
    Spoiler:

Familiar:
    Spoiler:

History:
    Spoiler:

Tie to Gaedren Lamm:
    Spoiler:

CB Summary:
    Spoiler:

I'm not currently in any PbP games but I am playing/DMing in a few campaigns in RL and online with Maptool. I wouldn't have any problem posting at least once a day.

edited February 2010
    I think the idea for Basi's familiar is pretty unique and could be pretty fun to see played out in a game.

My Games

Spoiler:
    edited February 2010
    TiamatZ, how are your feelings on MP2 content? I'm strongly interested in a few things in there.

• Banana-ManBanana-Man Registered User
    edited February 2010
    I've read most of the books, but I haven't played a game via PbP. I'd like to join it if you have the room, because the setting looks kick ass.

Here's the sheet -

Bob, Level 1 Warforged Fighter

And here's a picture
    Spoiler:

Appearance/Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Connections to Gaedran Lamm (presented with some style to it - if you want the short version, hit the second spoiler)
    Spoiler:

tl;dr
    Spoiler:

I'm currently involved in no PbP games, nor have I ever done one. I'm free almost every night from 6 p.m. Central onward, or anytime during the weekends.

Let me know if there's anything else you need and I'll post it.

:shock:
    edited February 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    TiamatZ, how are your feelings on MP2 content? I'm strongly interested in a few things in there.

I don't mind any MP2 stuff, but just remember to post any details (i.e. feats, abilities, powers) you get from MP2 in your Character Builder Summary, since I haven't gotten the book yet.

But yeah... short version: MP2 is okay!

edited February 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

I don't mind any MP2 stuff, but just remember to post any details (i.e. feats, abilities, powers) you get from MP2 in your Character Builder Summary, since I haven't gotten the book yet.

But yeah... short version: MP2 is okay!

Sweet, thanks. Since the MP2 stuff isn't in the builder yet, I'll be constructing any possible character by hand for the most part. What I'll do is fill out a Mythweavers sheet with enough detail to fill you in, if that's cool with you.

edited February 2010
    Just want to say that my mythweaver's sheet prolly isn't perfect. I've never used it before, so if I messed something up, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know and I'll do my best to fix it.

edited February 2010
    Levyk Swanherd, Plaguesoul Genasi Paladin of the Raven Queen

Appearances
    Spoiler:

History
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

Summary
    Spoiler:

edited February 2010
    DWARVEN SWORDMAGE:

Tagrid Iceblood: A Hearty Dwarf from the frozen lands. Specializing in Ice Magics.

Character Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186271

D&D Character Generator Stat Block:
    Spoiler:

Appearance and Mannerisms:
    Spoiler:

History and Connection to Gaedram:
    Spoiler:

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Availability and Player Info:
    I am not, nor have ever been, a participant in a PBP thread. I am able to post most of the time, certainly every day. I played IRL 4e for almost a year, playing a gnomish cunning bard (tons of fun, btw). Never have GMed.

Steam
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Three Defenders submitted, and I was working on a Defender concept. Only one Leader, though.

I guess I'll stick to my initial concept (I had two, both Defenders, but one just suits the setting so much more) and post my app up tonight after work. I should be finished by then.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited February 2010
    Brody: lolz at the pouncing comment so true.

Felixsomethingsomething: Basi's familiar is pretty sweet, interesting concept!

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
  • firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice, I've been waiting for a recruitment thread!

I'm not in any PbP's right now, haven't played CoCT, and have a bit of experience DM'ing for my old college roommates online using Maptools and Ventrilo.

I have a great combination of a job with lots of downtime, and an internet connection with no restrictions. I will have no problem posting as often as the action of the story allows.

Sevren Balducci: Shadar Kai Artificer

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

That dirty crook!
    Spoiler:

CB Summary:
    Spoiler:

Brink: Awesome so far on PC
    EvE: 0.0 killed the game for me :(
    edited February 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Three Defenders submitted, and I was working on a Defender concept. Only one Leader, though.

I guess I'll stick to my initial concept (I had two, both Defenders, but one just suits the setting so much more) and post my app up tonight after work. I should be finished by then.

So i was debating between making an avenger or a hammer ranger and noticed that there were no defenders posted yet, so i decided to make the switch to swordmage. By the time i posted, the other defenders went up.

Side note: How much emphasis will be on Character Optimization? I am thinking about changing my human swordmage into a dwarf swordmage, but it will be less effective on the whole. Would people be cool with my playing a character that isn't all that it can be?

Edit: Also, i am impressed by a lot of the detailed writing going on here.

Steam
    edited February 2010
    Kay wrote: »

So i was debating between making an avenger or a hammer ranger and noticed that there were no defenders posted yet, so i decided to make the switch to swordmage. By the time i posted, the other defenders went up.

Side note: How much emphasis will be on Character Optimization? I am thinking about changing my human swordmage into a dwarf swordmage, but it will be less effective on the whole. Would people be cool with my playing a character that isn't all that it can be?

Edit: Also, i am impressed by a lot of the detailed writing going on here.

Play-by-post games, by and large, don't have much combat. I don't think anyone will care if you roll 1d20+6/1d10+5 instead of 1d20+7/2d6+7.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played a really sub-optimal dwarf halberd bard that was swinging with a +6 (including his +1 weapon) and it was rough. Did it make us do poorly in combat? No way. Play what you want and what you think is fun. I've played a wizard before, but this character I drew up is just too vibrant in my mind to not play her. It just works out that I min-maxed the heck out of her because of the type of person she is it actually fits.

In short: Play what you want, we'll have fun.

edited February 2010

I'm all in favor of non-human characters, they make things feel much more otherworldly, at least they always do to me. I definitely wouldn't mind if you don't deal the most damage possible with every single attack for the sake of having a character who you like more. Oh and I'm glad to see someone submitting a swordmage by the way, they're my favorite defender class without a doubt.

My Games

Spoiler:
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To start with, I have never played in a D&D 4E PBP game, though I was in an extremely short-lived game of Dogs in the Vineyard some time ago. I am available to post more than once per day, easily, though I must point out that as I'm on GMT, I won't be able to follow combat after 7-8pm EST which may cause problems. As previously mentioned, I currently play in no PBP games, and while I have never GMed 4E D&D in the past, I have GMed for several other games, including just about everything White Wolf ever did, Unknown Armies, Call of Cthulhu, and previous versions of Dungeons and Dragons. I've not played any of the incarnations of Curse of the Crimson Throne, however. That said, on with the application!

Atherton Kess (originally Atherton Meuvais)

Character Sheet on Orokos (I can change this to Mythweavers if need be.)

Background, and ties to Gaedren Lamm.
    Spoiler:
    Personality traits.
    Spoiler:
    Mannerisms and appearance.
    Spoiler:

Character Builder Summary.
    Spoiler:

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited February 2010
    Where would be this world's equivalent of the artic or other cold region? Which Empire has jurisdiction over these lands? Are they on good terms with Korvosa?

Steam