As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's a funny show that I should watch

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Community has moments of sheer brilliance worth watching the show for. It's not all funny all the time, but once they gain a little momentum it's an excellent comedy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peep Show on Hulu. All of it.

Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Currently really enjoying Community, Modern Family and Psych

Janson on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bottom

The young ones

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For those that enjoy British Comedy - The Inbetweeners is by far the funniest to come out in the last few years, it's fantastic.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blackadder (seasons 2 to 4, skip the 1st for now)
    Arrested Development
    Black Books
    Absolutely Fabulous (seasons 2 and 3 are best)
    Bored To Death
    Peep Show
    30 Rock
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Frasier (best from about season 3 I think)
    Seasons 4 through 8 of The Simpsons
    Futurama

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm currently going through a Futurama marathon, classic stuff, with some powerful dramatic moments.

And I've only seen one episode of Parks and Recreation (it's on ridiculously late in Australia) but holy shit I am so getting the DVD when it comes out next month.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Big Bang Theory, Castle

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kids in the Hall, definitely. The original series though, the new miniseries is hit & miss (mostly miss). I'll also second Mr. Show.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The big bang theory is really really bad, like somewhere on the same level as two and a half men.

Since people are recommending british sitcoms, may as well go back and recommend Fawlty Towers. One of the best sitcoms ever. Oh and Green Wing.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Big Band Theory is fucking awful. We're talking Dharma & Greg awful.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Be like me and catch up on your classic British comedies. I managed to get a lot of old VHS tapes for free, though.

You need Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, and I guess Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is probably the weakest overall for pure laughs, but it's charming enough.

Slightly more recent I would suggest The Day Today. After that you owe it to yourself to catch up with Alan Partridge: first Knowing Me, Knowing You, then I'm Alan Partridge. The first series of I'm Alan Partridge especially: it's got to be, minute for minute, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The writing is astounding.

Also, and this is a long shot, People Like Us. The humour is so dry that some people I show it to don't even realize it's a comedy for the first 20 minutes of an episode, and they're really hard to find. I think most of the episodes are on youtube.

I'm also looking for some good [British] comedies.

Add to your list, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, and Peep Show.

If you like British comedies, 'One Foot in the Grave' is a must see.

'Father Ted', 'Wating for God' and 'Black Books' are also well worth a look.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Doc on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    The big bang theory is really really bad, like somewhere on the same level as two and a half men.

This is probably true since it's from the same creator of both of those shows. :lol:

Anyway, I'd probably echo just about all the same recommendations in this thead.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I forgot Father Ted. For shame!

Really good sitcom. Kind of cheesy, but it just goes with it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    skeldare wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »

This is probably true since it's from the same creator of both of those shows. :lol:

I am both impressed and horrified that my brain made that subconcious connection.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arrested Development and Peep Show are the funniest comedies I've ever seen.

pots+pans on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got bored and started skimming ( :P ), so I don't think these were mentioned, but apologies if they were:

Weeds
    Eureka

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    On British shows, has Jeeves and Wooster been mentioned yet? After my whole family watched all the seasons of Arrested Development together we started on this P.G. Wodehouse TV adaptation, and we haven't been disappointed. Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (as "not House") star in this hilarious 1920's comedy. Hell, I'll MAIL you all the seasons after I've finished watching em, that's how good I think this series is.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Modern Family.

This is as good as it gets with TV comedy right now.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's no wonder why I didn't like Big Bang Theory. My friend likes it for some strange reason, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arrested Development, one of the greatest shows of all time. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Arrested Development, one of the greatest shows of all time. :^:

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Trailer Park Boys. It's ridiculous, but there are some really funny parts. Worth checking out if you have Netflix.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am glad other people spoke up about it because really the Big Bang theory is awful.

Laughtracks are the bane of my existence.

Speaking of, How I Met Your Mother has its moments but overall I lost interest after a season or two.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Doc wrote: »

That is horrible on so many levels. You've got to love that they wrote the dialogue around audible cues for the viewers to laugh (otherwise how would they know that the episode would take exactly the 21 minutes it was supposed to in order to fit in the correct number of commercials, etc).

Also, KITH is a classic. Someone mentioned it. Too few people mentioned it. But I think it's out that I'm Canadian and therefore have seen every episode five times, so maybe you're all just being considerate. I don't know. If you haven't seen the Kids in the Hall, see it. And no, not the new series "Death Comes to Town", because yes it is hellishly hit and miss and even when it hits it's never quite as amazing as the original series.

I have to say that Archer blew my mind, so I'm gonna track down Frisky Dingo. I assume it's on DVD. I sat through one episode of Parks and Recreation and it was like The Office but not nearly as good, and I managed to lose interest in The Office. So it's really not looking too likely that I'm going to give that one a serious go.

Oh and other shit I thought was mighty hilarious was The Mighty Boosh (it's British but it's also not like 20 years old now so it's kind of surprising that it's as awesome as it is, though series 1 is way better than 2 or 3), and there was one series of Black Adder that was like twice as funny as the rest of them. And obviously Monty Python's Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers were brilliant but come on now those go without saying.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    3 pages and no mention of Leverage for someone who likes Burn Notice? Bah.

Leverage.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pheezer, we appear to have precisely the same taste in TV. However, you do not watch Community or 30 Rock. They are the funniest shows on television.

So you should start watching them.

And on the off chance you don't watch Top Gear (UK) , watch Top Gear (UK). Avoid Top Gear (AU) like the plague.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    I was going to say How I Met Your Mother as well, but that was already taken.

I would like to recommend J Pod. It was a pretty good canadian show, although very short lived. I don't think it lasted one season.

Is it better than the book? Because I really couldn't get into the book given how much of it felt like an updated retread of microserfs.

It's significantly better than the book. I also thought the book was a boring rehash of Microserfs, but the TV show was truly fantastic. I'd definitely recommend checking it out, as long as you make sure to stick through the very mediocre pilot.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I take it you've already seen every episode of Trailer Park Boys ?

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KlundtasaurKlundtasaur Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How are you not watching 30 Rock? For me, it's the little things--no laugh track, dialogue that rewards you for following it and doesn't hit you over the head with every joke, and, of course, Muppet versions of the characters.

So, yeah, seconded 30 Rock, Community, and Modern Family (holy crap, Modern Family is good).

Klundtasaur on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    to be fair, the political jokes are pretty blatant in 30 rock

it's still really really good though

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh! Also check out -

Brass Eye
    Look Around You
    Look Around You Season 2 (totally different in style from the first season)
    The Peter Serafinowicz Show

Amnesia Magazine. Ah, I love Peter Serafinowicz so much.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Arrested Development and Peep Show are the funniest comedies I've ever seen.

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Peep show is the best series on the face of the planet. Series 4 was the best thing ever. What happened to Mummy?

Futurama
    Arrested Development
    Peep Show
    Curb Your Enthusiasm (You might not like this if you didn't like The (British) Office)
    How I met your mother is ok, pretty much the only thing I watch on tv.
    Oh and Spaced and IT Crowd, if you haven't seen it

deveric on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Doc wrote: »

That's a good try, but without the lead up that clip is the equivalent of telling the punchline to a joke without hearing the joke first.

I really enjoy Big Bang Theory, don't see what's so terrible about it over some of the other shows mentioned here.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This one might seem out of left field but...
    (Gilmore Girls) is known for its fast dialogue with endless run-on sentences. The show follows single mother Lorelai Victoria Gilmore (Graham) and her daughter Lorelai "Rory" Leigh Gilmore (Bledel) in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, a close-knit small town with many quirky characters, located roughly thirty minutes from Hartford. The series explores family, friendship, generational divides, and social class. Gilmore Girls features frequent popular culture and political references and social commentary that manifest most clearly in Lorelai's difficult relationship with her wealthy upper class parents.
    I know, I know, it sounds horrible and that you aren't the target audience but the show is wonderful. The characters are silly but consistent and all of them really grow into more than just a type. This show is absurdly good.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For the record, I find Big Bang Theory to be very funny. It makes jokes about many things that I love, and it makes me laugh.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Since you also asked about movies:

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Back to the Future, Pulp Fiction, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Fifth Element, Blazing Saddles, Sleeper, Annie Hall, This is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Ghostbusters, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, In Bruges, Spaceballs, Beetlejuice, The Aristocrats, In the Loop, Grosse Pointe Blank, Men in Black, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Shaun of the Dead, Rush Hour, Rush Hour 2, Young Frankenstein, Best of Show, Life of Brian, and Death at a Funeral are all pretty funny.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.