As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Removing fence posts from concrete patio

JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I need some help. My wife and I are slowly redoing the backyard and I've hit a snag. We're pulling out a crappy chain link fence and replacing it (eventually) with a picket fence. The previous owners, however, tied this fence into the patio which I need to keep.

The steel posts (hollow 2 inch steel) were sunk through the patio and then about 18 inches down. I had initially planned to remove them completely but I have no idea how to go about that without breaking up the concrete slab, so I decided to cut them off flush and fill them. That's still giving me problems. I cut them as close to flush as possible with a sawzal and was able to lift a couple of them straight out with a prybar, but the other are stuck epoxied into 1/8 inch sleeves that extend maybe 1/4 above ground level, and they're going nowhere. I tried to slowly work my way through with a metal chisel, which I've used before to cut off old boost scrapers flush with concrete, but didn't seem to make much progress.

Does anyone know of anything that could help me cut these damn things off flush with the concrete they're sitting on?

JihadJesus on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    do you have any friends who do construction who you could borrow a torch from?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Torch or angle grinder.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i would go with a grinder as the torch might leave some marks on the area around the pole.

Grimm on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, if and when you cut off that pole, a good sized planter over the top will hide it nicely. Just a thought.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anything that could help me cut these damn things off flush with the concrete they're sitting on?

I just went through this exact process removing an old dog run, you'll just want to borrow an angle grinder and grind them flush or slightly concave, if you want them to be seamless after you grind them concave you can use concrete repair kits to cover the dip and fill the hole. Wear eye protection, at the least.

Torch is a bad idea on any number of fronts.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can buy decent Angle Grinders starting at $30.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definitely a grinder.

Just make sure you have the right kind of blade. Obviously. A concrete diamond blade will probably still get the job done, but it'll wear out really fast and cause a mess. You want the right blade, and to come at it from the top so you don't hit into the patio stone.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Definitely a grinder.

Just make sure you have the right kind of blade. Obviously. A concrete diamond blade will probably still get the job done, but it'll wear out really fast and cause a mess. You want the right blade, and to come at it from the top so you don't hit into the patio stone.

Why would you want a concrete diamond blade? He is trying to cut the metal pole, not the concrete around it. Just get a couple cutting disks. Not a grinding disk. I would just hold it as close to the concrete as possible without touching and cut straight in from the side. A chain link fence post (im assuming is aluminum) should be cut through in a matter of seconds. Also, ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Safety glasses at the least but it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a full face shield.

EDIT: It seems i misunderstood Page-. I thought you were saying he should use a concrete diamond blade.

Grimm on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    You can buy decent Angle Grinders starting at $30.

If decent means shitty.

Does the pole go through the concrete, or is it simply imbedded in it? If it goes through the concrete, I would just try to hammer out through with a 2x4 on top to prevent it from crushing. It would possibly release itself and push downard. Or borrow someones angle grinder or an appropriate sized belt sander with 36 grit and grind the sucker down. Either way you are probably going to mark the concrete unless you are a surgeon with abrasive tools.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I've never used an angle grinder before. It's sunk through the concrete slab and about 12 inches down below that into the ground, and the actual post is epoxied or bonded somehow into a sleeve set straight into the concrete. The ones set just through the slab itself I was able to work loose enough to pry up and out.

JihadJesus on