As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 2/11: Aliens v Predator, Miles Edgeworth, PB Winterbottom, KORG DS+

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 102 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 2/11/10 - 2/20/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

180680b.jpg

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

181123b.jpg

KORG DS-10 PLUS

180245b.jpg

Ragnarok DS

180059b.jpg

Crime Scene

PC

647597b.jpg

Aliens vs. Predator

Everquest II: Battlegrounds
Everquest II: Sentinel's Fate

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People

Becky Brogan: The Mystery of Meane Manor!

WarBirds: Dogfights

Ghost Pirates of Voojoo Island

PS3

270406b.jpg

Aliens vs. Predator

270481b.jpg

Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce

PSP

191312b.jpg

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3

Wii

230778b.jpg

Data East Arcade Classics

Art of Balance
Chicken Riot
Free Running
Triple Crown Snowboarding

Xbox360

200685b.jpg

Aliens vs. Predator

200023b.jpg

Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce

200007b.jpg

Tropico 3

e3-2008-the-misadventures-of-pb-winterbottom-20080716072203748.jpg

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

200026b.jpg

Deadly Premonition

Looks like a good week!

DS gets a few good or possibly good games. The new Ace Attorney game starring Miles Edgeworth comes out! Also the sequel to the very good very cool music synth instrument, KORG-DS Plus comes out too. Alos coming out is XSeed-published RPG called Ragnarok DS. Don't know much else about it but hey it's Xseed and they're awesome.

The HD Systems/ PC get the new Aliens vs. Predator game. Looks very good, lots of anticipation for this first person shooter/hunter/alien pick-a-species game.

PC also gets some Everquest II expansions and also, I'm showing, the Strong Bad game for Attractive People.

PS3 and 360 are also getting a Dynasty Warriors game called Strikeforce. Dunno much about it and reviews don't seem to be out yet. My money's on it being very much like its predecessors ;)

PSP gets a new SOCOM game as Fireteam Bravo 3 comes out, sequel to its first two successful iterations.

Wii gets the Data East Collection, featuring 15 arcade games, some of which are classics, and supports every controller type on Wii from wiimote to classic con to GCN pad.

Last but not least the 360 is getting Tropico 3, a port of the well-received PC game involving city building, a god game of sorts and a bit of humor.

The 360 also gets PB Winterbottom which looks amazing. Like Braid and Portal and a bunch of other awesome crap all rolled into one. So check it out!

edit: Also Deadly Premonition for 360! Not sure what it's about but BL is excited so ask him!

slash000 on

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deadly Premonition FUCK YEAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hea2h9s6LgU
    The original name is Rainy Woods. The game is inspired by a little known thing called TWIN PEAKS.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Woo! I've been waiting ages for Miles Edgeworth, the Ace Attorney games always hold a special place in my heart.

A feeling I can't say I have for Dynasty Warriors. It's always felt to me like breaking one half of a Rock-em Sock-em Robot and moving it around yourself to take on AI which wasn't actually programmed to attack. (And yes, I know there was actually a Rock-em Sock-em video game at one point).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    P.B. Winterbottom is out this week? I thought that would have been one of those summer games as I've been hearing a lot of good about it

Don't know what it's all about, but if reviews are good enough I may grab it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce is pretty much taking DW6 and now everybody can turn super-powerful and fly around and fight monsters and shit. It's a console port of the PSP version of the game with a few extras, I think. Kind of a mission based thing instead of the "Pick a character, play their story" style as the norm, I believe, and is built explicitly to play with your friends. I think there's a very slight bit of Management things, as you can upgrade your town/hub to have better stores but I think it's a uniform upgrade, and not as customizable. What is fairly customizable is the weapons you can pick up, as every character can wield different weapons as well as their normal ones, not to mention there's an upgrading system and maybe a crafting system.

This is all pretty much based on just what I've seen since I haven't been able to DL the demo and I couldn't play too much of the PSP demo, so, grain of salt as I might be wrong on a few counts. From what I can tell, it takes the formula, changes it around enough and turns it up to 11 (the transformations). I'd be getting it if I didn't have other games I have to get instead of it. (Not this week, but still) If you don't like DW games, you probably still won't like it, and if you do, you probably still will.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Socom 2 was a blast so I might grab 3 somewhere down the road.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce is pretty much taking DW6 and now everybody can turn super-powerful and fly around and fight monsters and shit. It's a console port of the PSP version of the game with a few extras, I think. Kind of a mission based thing instead of the "Pick a character, play their story" style as the norm, I believe, and is built explicitly to play with your friends. I think there's a very slight bit of Management things, as you can upgrade your town/hub to have better stores but I think it's a uniform upgrade, and not as customizable. What is fairly customizable is the weapons you can pick up, as every character can wield different weapons as well as their normal ones, not to mention there's an upgrading system and maybe a crafting system.

This is all pretty much based on just what I've seen since I haven't been able to DL the demo and I couldn't play too much of the PSP demo, so, grain of salt as I might be wrong on a few counts. From what I can tell, it takes the formula, changes it around enough and turns it up to 11 (the transformations). I'd be getting it if I didn't have other games I have to get instead of it. (Not this week, but still) If you don't like DW games, you probably still won't like it, and if you do, you probably still will.

o_O What? So it's Dynasty Warriors Z?

I might give it a rent eventually but I wish they'd just make Dynasty Warriors 7. DW6 was the worst game in the series.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I cancelled my Edgeworth order on Amazon because it wouldn't ship for a week, and now I gotta decide whether to go to a store tomorrow after classes and pick it up or buy it online from someplace else. Finals week! It'd arrive later in the week!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    B:L wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hea2h9s6LgU
    The original name is Rainy Woods. The game is inspired by a little known thing called TWIN PEAKS.

is this xbla or a regular game?

- i don't know... it looks not great; but, i love the concept.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

is this xbla or a regular game?

- i don't know... it looks not great; but, i love the concept.

It's a $20 regular 360 exclusive.

And it'll have racing and fishing mini-games, which you know will be good because they also made Reel Fishing.

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh man

i love racing and fishing

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just got back from hoping against hope that I'd find Tropico 3 in stores.

Amazon, here I come.

EDIT: Aaaannnd ordered. This'll put it on top for sales next week for sure!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will be getting two copies of Edgeworth. Ace Attorney games are amazing. If there was a download service that you can buy extra cases, I would holeheartedly support them.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh fuck yes P.B. Winterbottom

Rent on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nothing for me this week.

Next week though, I go diving. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Grabbing Ace Attorney for sure.

Not sure if I want to get Ragnarok DS for the nostalgia factor.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want P.B. Winterbottom, but I've just downloaded Chime.

I'm two weeks behind on XBLA, still want Darwinia!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up AVP, considering Winterbottom and possibly Ace Attorney....

although i kinda want to buy Blood Bowl which came out a few weeks ago so i'm not sure.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up Edgeworth, but haven't popped it in yet. I will do that tomorrow.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i bought AvP, and am buying dante's inferno off a friend this week
    man i am gonna be brooooke

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Picked up AvP for myself, and Ace Attorney for my wife this week. My wife also wants Crime Scene at some point, and I'll definitely be picking up PB Winterbottom at some point in the near future as well.

At $20, I might pick up Deadly Premonition. The trailer BL threw up was enough to get my interest, and the price is just right.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Already bought AvP. And I forgot about Data East Collection, gotta pick that up tomorrow.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New Korg DS? Yes please.

Now I guess I have to buy a DSi.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would have preferred Data East be on DS/PSP, but Burger Time is made with awesome sauce on two sesamee seed buns. So I won't complain too much.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Edgeworth needs to arrive in the post.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I downloaded the demo for PB Winterbottom this morning and played it before work. It seems easier than Braid, but also longer. And it has pies. Well worth checking out, will be buying (and adding to the backlog challenge) tonight.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I bought (preordered) Deadly Premonition through Amazon.

I should get it early next month.

Once I get it, I will report back with impressions.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I downloaded the demo for PB Winterbottom this morning and played it before work. It seems easier than Braid, but also longer. And it has pies. Well worth checking out, will be buying (and adding to the backlog challenge) tonight.

I grabbed the trial too, not sure what i think yet. the game OOOOOOZES style, love the look and sound of it. I'm just not sure how i feel about the gameplay.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    So I bought (preordered) Deadly Premonition through Amazon.

I should get it early next month.

Once I get it, I will report back with impressions.

I got it! Its fun for the 20 dollars I paid for it. Which is to say, really goddamn cheap.

Im liking it so far. The voice acting is sub par but its good at other times, so its not a big deal really. Its nowhere near laugh out loud bad but sometimes you wonder what they were thinking when they said a line.

Gameplay is alright. A little odd because of the way you need to ready a weapon, then lock on, then attack. It seems normal but it just feels a little off in this game. Youd have to try it. Oh and you dont HAVE to lock on. I rarely do now.

The enemies are recycled a lot so far but dont mind me because Im literally maybe an hour into the game. It can be a little freaky at times but its nothing so scary youll stop. Although from far away the enemies are pretty creepy looking. They look almost transparent and theyre all...stop-motion almost...its hard to explain but pretty damn creepy to watch them warp toward you while they look as they do. Needs to be seen to know what I mean.

Dont know anything of the story yet really. Its...not really explained much. I think hes going to this town because hes new and wants to profile a murder that took place because this is going to be his subject of expertise so he wants more work on it to get better at it? I think. Not 100% sure but I believe thats it. And a certain type of murder. Not just murder in general.

Graphics are also what youd expect from a 20$ game. Fine enough really, no problems there, Im not a huge graphics freak anyways.

And walking around/controlling is fine so far. Aiming can be wonky and the strafe is pretty bad but it isnt game ruining in the least. Almost reminds me of that game that came out directly after Resident Evil 4 and youre on a ship at sea fighting those weird ass monsters. It just reminded me of that for some reason. This is the RE5 clone game and that was the RE4 clone game.

Basically though I just like that it was 20$ so Im overlooking what Id be pissed about in a 60$ game and not really minding much. I certainly say go buy it. I mean yeah you can rent it but for like twice the price of renting you could just buy it so...I mean...come on people...20 dollars isnt much here. Just remember. You may not agree with me at all but for 20 dollars this is how I feel. Worth buying.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so!
    34xhx60.jpg
    bought AvP new, got dante's inferno for $40 off a friend and then saw mirror's edge at walmart for $20.
    so i got 3 games for the price of dos

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so!
    34xhx60.jpg
    bought AvP new, got dante's inferno for $40 off a friend and then saw mirror's edge at walmart for $20.
    so i got 3 games for the price of dos

Exce-fucking-llent there. That is such a sexy trio of games my friend.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mirror's Edge is very polarizing. I loved the game to death though, so I hope you do too.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mastrius wrote: »
    Dont know anything of the story yet really. Its...not really explained much. I think hes going to this town because hes new and wants to profile a murder that took place because this is going to be his subject of expertise so he wants more work on it to get better at it? I think. Not 100% sure but I believe thats it. And a certain type of murder. Not just murder in general.

You really have to watch Twin Peaks to appreciate stuff like

1-d4f3f4f2-4b9a-427a-bc60-1565376269e3-l.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow, that's a screen from that game?

Wow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Awesome. I'm a Twin Peaks fan. I bought it because I heard the game was inspired by it, but that's more than just inspiration. Can't wait to play it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've got good news.
    That gum you like is going to come back in style.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tried the Winterbottom demo

While I absolutely love the visual style, the game isn't for me

I'm getting tired of the whole "record an image of yourself and play it back!" thing I've been seeing lately (Braid, Ratchet and Clank, Winterbottom), I hope it doesn't catch on in a huge way

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm intrigued by the game, and it oozes style, but some of it just looks way, way too hectic for me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finished the main story to winterbottom in about 3 hours. There are 25 challenge levels (so far) with 2 challenges per level including speed challenges (NOO!!). I've done 12/50 challenges, and that took over an hour.

It was well worth $10, and at least for the main story, I thought this was easier than Braid.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. That Twin Peaks rip-off actually made it to release?
    Colour me surprised.

Needs to be out on more than that one system for me to care, anyway.

Xagarath on