As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation...from the Weeessssssssssssssssssssst

• Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    am I the only person annoyed that there isn't more cel animated feature films these days?

everything it CGI nowadays, and that's fine when it's good (i.e. The Incredibles, the first Toy Story), but I can't help but think that some more Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle type of films would be a great thing.

krush on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    krush wrote: »
    am I the only person annoyed that there isn't more cel animated feature films these days?

everything it CGI nowadays, and that's fine when it's good (i.e. The Incredibles, the first Toy Story), but I can't help but think that some more Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle type of films would be a great thing.

Princess and the Frog and that Miyakazi movie about the fish princess were released four months ago.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think that's for two reasons.

1. Everyone went to see Toy Story and Shrek, executives conclude the drawing force was that they were CG (probably true for Toy Story, but that was good anyway), and thus nobody wants to see 2D stuff anymore.
    2. CG stuff is cheaper.

I'm glad John Lasseter is forcing Disney to go back to Hand drawn stuff. We need a variety of styles.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Princess and the Frog and that Miyakazi movie about the fish princess were released four months ago.

and every year or so we get 2743897 mediocre CGI flicks with one or two traditionally animated flicks.

krush on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

1. Everyone went to see Toy Story and Shrek, executives conclude the drawing force was that they were CG (probably true for Toy Story, but that was good anyway), and thus nobody wants to see 2D stuff anymore.
    2. CG stuff is cheaper.

I'm glad John Lasseter is forcing Disney to go back to Hand drawn stuff. We need a variety of styles.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed the rush to CGI. All those dippy movie critics who kept saying "hand drawn looks behind the times now" after CGI movies came out probably didn't help.

I'm also glad Disney's doing hand drawn stuff too. With practically nobody else doing hand-drawn it's a great way to be distinctive. Princess and the Frog did well enough at the box office to warrant more hand-drawn movies, though (and I think I've mentioned this before) the next one will be more Winnie the Pooh shorts from A.A. Milne's Pooh stories, done in the old 60's style. I'm a little worried because the budget is smaller ($40 or so million compared to $100 million for Princess and the Frog), but all the top animators are signing on and Pooh doesn't really need a big budget.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

2. CG stuff is cheaper.

I don't agree with that statement. CG can be expensive as hell. Quick look on IMDB shows that UP cost an estimated $170mil where as Princess and the Frog was an estimated $105mil. Even Cloudy cost about the same as Princess at $100mil. Cheapest CG film of last year was 9 at an estimated $30mil but there's various reasons for that.

-edit-

Just saw this, I think everyone here will want to check it out.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/wakingsleepingbeauty/

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/19/waking-sleeping-beauty-movie-trailer/

Vesty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vesty wrote: »

2. CG stuff is cheaper.

I don't agree with that statement. CG can be expensive as hell. Quick look on IMDB shows that UP cost an estimated $170mil where as Princess and the Frog was an estimated $105mil. Even Cloudy cost about the same as Princess at $100mil. Cheapest CG film of last year was 9 at an estimated $30mil but there's various reasons for that.

-edit-

Just saw this, I think everyone here will want to check it out.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/wakingsleepingbeauty/

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/19/waking-sleeping-beauty-movie-trailer/

I don't know how reliable those figures are, because I'm told that they also include the marketing costs. I can't speak for the US, but in Irelandshire I noticed a lot more exposure for Up than Princess and the Frog. What we'd need are verifiable figures of what it cost to make the movie and nothing else.

Also, that documentary looks pretty good.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ah, so John K. did pitch in. Cool. I never did watch that show much, though I remember it being pretty decent.
    EAT THE PAPER, EAT THE PAPER YOU STUPID MACHINE!

Two Stupid Dogs was brilliant. Then again, a Crag McCracken and Genndy Tartakovsky show, so little wonder.

[edit] Wow. Watching the clips on YouTube makes the difference between this and Flash animation so painfully obvious. Also, Ben Stiller did additional voices in the show? Whaaa...

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Ah, so John K. did pitch in. Cool. I never did watch that show much, though I remember it being pretty decent.
    EAT THE PAPER, EAT THE PAPER YOU STUPID MACHINE!

Two Stupid Dogs was brilliant. Then again, a Crag McCracken and Genndy Tartakovsky show, so little wonder.

[edit] Wow. Watching the clips on YouTube makes the difference between this and Flash animation so painfully obvious. Also, Ben Stiller did additional voices in the show? Whaaa...

you'd be suprised at how many big name celebs did voices on toons.

Case in point: George Lopez voiced Buena Dad in the show Mucha Lucha and Johnny Depp voiced The Masked Toilet in the same show. Tim Curry also voiced El Malefico on Mucha Lucha.

krush on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    back to "limited animation" for a sec.

Cartoon Network used to have a show that showcased animation shorts by less-than-known animators called World Premiere Toons (later changed to The What A Cartoon Show for whatever reason)

Of these, many went on to be picked up and developed into running series' (Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and Courage The Cowardly Dog), but one that DIDN'T get picked up was Yuckie Duck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgMrkTEArRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-dQDFtuMDg

When it first came out, I cried laughing (though that could have been because me and the guys were stone drunk off of many, many bottles of Boones). Nowadays... it looks like they didn't even try to make a decent toon.

krush on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Cartoon Network used to have a show that showcased animation shorts by less-than-known animators called World Premiere Toons (later changed to The What A Cartoon Show for whatever reason)

Of these, many went on to be picked up and developed into running series' (Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and Courage The Cowardly Dog), but one that DIDN'T get picked up was Yuckie Duck.

(snip)

When it first came out, I cried laughing (though that could have been because me and the guys were stone drunk off of many, many bottles of Boones). Nowadays... it looks like they didn't even try to make a decent toon.

Hey, I remember that short. Odd stuff.

What a Cartoon was such an interesting breeding ground for good new shows. There was a lot of crap on there, but some damn fine shows sprang from it too. Interesting fact, Seth MacFarlane made a short for it too. I think it's much funnier than Family Guy ever was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2F2pLEwfRQ

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This .... whatever this is was posted in the anime thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoTKp0k03s

I ... I am so glad to be an American if weirdness like this and the Triplets of Belleville/Yellow Submarine exist outside of our borders. Really, what's the most nonsensical thing American animators make? Ren and Stimpy? The Maxx? Neither approaches what the Japanese or the English or the French have accomplished.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This .... whatever this is was posted in the anime thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoTKp0k03s

I ... I am so glad to be an American if weirdness like this and the Triplets of Belleville/Yellow Submarine exist outside of our borders. Really, what's the most nonsensical thing American animators make? Ren and Stimpy? The Maxx? Neither approaches what the Japanese or the English or the French have accomplished.

That entire video is uncomfortable, creepy, and more then just a little weird.

However, skip to 44 seconds in for an absolutely hilarious edit of a famous portrait.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know, right? The pink elephants scene in Dumbo made more sense.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's openings are meant to revel in their madness.

/edit Woah, I hadn't seen that one before. That hits the 'freaky sexualization' area better than most of the other OPs.

//edit I see they kept the rocket exploding.

///edit Oh, it's from the 3rd series OVA. That'd be why I haven't seen it before.

Jintor on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

(snip)

Hey, I remember that short. Odd stuff.

What a Cartoon was such an interesting breeding ground for good new shows. There was a lot of crap on there, but some damn fine shows sprang from it too. Interesting fact, Seth MacFarlane made a short for it too. I think it's much funnier than Family Guy ever was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2F2pLEwfRQ

Cartoon Network actually tried to do that again right before the market crashed. With no money, they canceled it and started making reality shows.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We're gonna talk about a little company called Rankin/Bass. You younger posters might not know the name, but they've probably impacted your life in ways you don't realize. They are probably responsible for all your Christmas memories as children, and for good reason. They've given us the Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer Frosty The SnowmanSanta Claus The Little Drummer Boy Jack Frost Some More Santa Some More CRAZZZZYYY Santa Shit

And there's more, that's just SOME of their Christmas catalog. They've also done some stuff for Easter as well, though more about the rabbits and eggs than the whole jew on a cross thing. They've also done some fan-fuckin-tastic fantasy movies as well The Hobbit The Return of the King The Last Unicorn Flight of Dragons Wind in the Willows

iguanacus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, hey, The Hobbit.

What the fuck are those other things?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of celebrities doing voicework:

Tim Curry as the Goddamn Skullmaster

Mighty Max was my TV series of choice for procrastination as a university freshman, and it was just as awesome as I remembered.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Mighty Max has the most depressing ending ever.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    I have a weird love/hate thing with John K. He definitely gets stuck in the past and fetishizes a lot of stuff from that era and has a weird disdain for writers. And yeah, the ego. Your Old Navy commercials sucked, John. Sorry.

On the other hand, he's a huge source of information about animation and you get a lot of behind-the-scenes information and history. And you can just tell it's what he loves to do. It's hard to not like him when he gets excited about his favorite cartoons and goes into detail about them.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I don't really agree with his "cartoons should be cartoony, always!" outlook, but he's a well of information about the industry and its history.

Glal on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

Disney's Robin Hood is wellknown for being made up of mostly recycled animation. The studio was down in the dumps at the time and it was the only way they could make it. It was recycle or go broke.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Oh, hey, The Hobbit.

What the fuck are those other things?

Which, the christmas ones or the others?

iguanacus on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I have a weird love/hate thing with John K. He definitely gets stuck in the past and fetishizes a lot of stuff from that era and has a weird disdain for writers. And yeah, the ego. Your Old Navy commercials sucked, John. Sorry.

On the other hand, he's a huge source of information about animation and you get a lot of behind-the-scenes information and history. And you can just tell it's what he loves to do. It's hard to not like him when he gets excited about his favorite cartoons and goes into detail about them.

I feel the same way. His posts about the terrible studios of the 70s/80s are hilarious and make me cringe just thinking about having to animate that garbage. I like to think working in the industry for so long is what made him the crotchety old bastard he is today.

On the other hand, besides Ren and Stimpy I'm not really a fan of anything else he's done. The ripping friends could be funny at times, but his new adult ren and stimpy show was terrible. I really enjoy this Weird Al video he worked on with a local studio, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMU8nvZzOs

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man, what the heck is this. a nostalgia thread? I only glanced the first 50 and last 50 posts, but sheesh.

yes yes good stuff happened in the past. what about now?

anyone check out the commercials for generator rex? it's from the ben 10 guys. it looks kinda dumb but it looks like a fun ride. kinda of the opposite of secret saturdays, where it looked dumb, but turned out to actually have a plot and wrapped up a complete story in two seasons.

not to mention adventure time is starting up soon, I don't really have to ask if anyone's excited for that.

anything new about the power core transformers or whatever? all i know about it is from the toy front.

chaotix is a prety obvious kid's show, but it's hilarious in a nostalgic super shill buy my stuff kind of way.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I feel the same way. His posts about the terrible studios of the 70s/80s are hilarious and make me cringe just thinking about having to animate that garbage. I like to think working in the industry for so long is what made him the crotchety old bastard he is today.

On the other hand, besides Ren and Stimpy I'm not really a fan of anything else he's done. The ripping friends could be funny at times, but his new adult ren and stimpy show was terrible. I really enjoy this Weird Al video he worked on with a local studio, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMU8nvZzOs

Man, that was made by him? No wonder I thought it was really familiar when I saw it on the DVD.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone posted the Wacky Delly episode of Rocko's modern life yet? Absolutely my favorite episode with some great jabs at the animation industry.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I don't know about Adventure Time anymore.

When I first saw it I was ecstatic, because it was completely out of the blue and quirky (?)

Now that I know decent storytelling methods and plot structure, Adventure Time doesn't work too well. I got my buddy to review the episode earlier this week; he's a real veteran of the animation world, and I trust his opinion over everyone else's.

He................didn't really like it. Well, he liked a couple of parts in it, but he said that it was "made for the internet" and that if it was a half-hour show things would get old fast. He told me a few other things as well, and his little brothers and sisters had the same basic opinion as him, as long as their little buddies.

At first I was actually pretty shocked; then I sat down and thought about it, and he was right.

I don't think A.T. has enough of an appeal to work; It's great that it got picked up by a network if that's really the case, but now it has to prove itself through the trials and tribulations of both network deprivation and pilot episode fatigue if it's going to last beyond its initial gimmicks.

Godfather on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So does anyone else know about this obscure little show called Candle Cove? I can't find much mention of it anywhere, but I remember I liked it a lot when I was a kid.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    man, what the heck is this. a nostalgia thread? I only glanced the first 50 and last 50 posts, but sheesh.

yes yes good stuff happened in the past. what about now?

anyone check out the commercials for generator rex? it's from the ben 10 guys. it looks kinda dumb but it looks like a fun ride. kinda of the opposite of secret saturdays, where it looked dumb, but turned out to actually have a plot and wrapped up a complete story in two seasons.

not to mention adventure time is starting up soon, I don't really have to ask if anyone's excited for that.

anything new about the power core transformers or whatever? all i know about it is from the toy front.

chaotix is a prety obvious kid's show, but it's hilarious in a nostalgic super shill buy my stuff kind of way.

Generator Rex... I don't know about that but Ben 10 gets on a good run then goes to fail mode ever other season. Secret Saturdays wasn't going anywhere despite its semi honest portrayal of an interracial family (who are HEROES!)

Adventure Time: One min its ok. Next min its for the Internet Euro-Jap/4Chan crowd. ZZZ.

Transformers Animated - had ok promise first season, second season was flat.

Chaotic is a guilty pleasure of mine. Dong Woo (who made a myriad of US animation) did the third and fourth seasons for the show - Millerian Invasion towards the end was inspiring. It wasnt Advtar but it was enjoyable. Fourth season got off to a rough start but they fleshed out Najiirn pretty damn good. Not that many duals in the later seasons so it isnt so toy/card based anymore. Lots of Hesher like visuals too (The Chaotic Card Game was based in denmark before 4Kids bought out the franchise) - and of course there was a Metal themed ep sometime around the start of the first season.

4Kids also brought (for a while) Huntik - a Irish/Italian coproduction from the makers of both Monster Allergy and Winx Club. They only aired 26 episodes (they didnt bring the second season over - i will get to that later) Huntik is pretty much inspired by the Italian comics of the late 60's early 70's (Sataink, Diaoblik etc) if not by story line, by style at least. MIPCOM (a international TV Convention) loved the show.

Sadly both shows despite its overall good works, are marred by the recent issues with 4Kids (Leiman Brothers were there Major Creditors - and when they went under - 4Kids got hurt bad, and the One Piece Business which pretty much lead into the split between the anime fanbase and the animation fanbase - as well as the distrust between the US Anime Dubbers and the Kids TV industry in the states), and the changing dynamic of the Kids Industry (See Michelle Obama and her Obesity Crusade). It says a lot when Family Guy (on a weekly basis) can compete with Nick's animated works, and when ever i Substitute for the school district - the kids know more about The Situation and or Snooki then Daria or say one of the folks from 6Teen or any of the Looney Toons for example.

Novid on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kappa Mikey was awesome shame we didn't get any new episodes.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I heard the live-action Thunderbirds movie was the Worst. Movie. Ever.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I heard the live-action Thunderbirds movie was the Worst. Movie. Ever.

I saw that movie. The only good things I can say about it were that the Thunderbird craft themselves weren't overly redesigned, and the actors who played Lady Penelope and Parker were pretty spot on. That's it.

Why would you make Alan the protagonist he wasn't even that interesting in the series itself Scott was the best one god damn it.

EDIT: And no film is improved by a theme song by Busted. It's a scientific fact. There have been tests.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Do the Supermarionation shows count as animation? Because Thunderbirds was pretty much the best thing ever to kid me.

If I think Thomas the Tank Engine is acceptable, then Thunderbirds is.

And yeah, the movie was terrible. Team America was a much better Thunderbirds movie.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not talking about transformers: animated (which was awesome i will punch people with different opinions). there's some other transformers show coming up this year or next. it's not tf:a, and judging from toys its gimmick involves power cores or something. it also has minicons agian

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Novid wrote: »
    the kids know more about The Situation and or Snooki then Daria or say one of the folks from 6Teen or any of the Looney Toons for example.
    what's snooki/situation? family guy scenes?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.