Season 2: Ancient Enemies is LIVE
New Recruit-A-Friend Program
Our latest content update, Season Two: Ancient Enemies, will be available in July 2010. In Ancient Enemies, you'll encounter and do battle with even more of Star Trek's iconic races, enjoy all new Episodes and experience Star Trek Online in brand new ways. Here's some of what you can expect in Season Two: Ancient Enemies:
We're raising the level cap from 45 all the way to 51. With the increase comes new ranks:
o Rear Admiral, Lower Half (41-45)
o Rear Admiral, Upper Half (46-50)
o Vice Admiral (51)
o Brigadier General (41-45)
o Major General (46-50)
o Lieutenant General (51)
With the new distinction comes a new set of rewards and content:
* New Tier 5 ships for both the Federation and Klingon factions. The Federation will receive an Exploration Cruiser retrofit featuring saucer separation, a Tactical Escort retrofit with a non-combat cloaking device and a Long Range Science Vessel retrofit with ablative generators. The Klingon Empire will receive the Kar'Fi Carrier, a Fek’Ihri Tactical Carrier with kamikaze S'Kul Fighters.
* Level 51 versions of every Special Task Force mission and Fleet Action.
* Mark XI gear rewards.
In Season Two: Ancient Enemies, the Klingon faction will feature eight brand new Episodes tailored specifically to the Empire.
These Episodes star the Fek'ihri, the fabled enemy of Kahless, founder of the Klingon Empire. In Season Two, the Fek'ihri have returned and have again set their eyes upon Qo'noS. It's up to you and your friends to protect the jewel of the Empire from occupation!
The Federation Diplomatic Corps
There's more to life than leading with the sword. The Federation Diplomatic Corps brings subtlety to galactic turmoil. To kick off the new gameplay option, we're introducing First Contact missions in which you'll meet and interact with brand new civilizations.
As you progress with your diplomacy, you'll earn special ranks and rewards within the Diplomatic Corps, so you'll be rewarded for leading with the olive branch rather than the arrow.
Now Entering: Fluidic Space
In Season Two: Ancient Enemies, you'll continue your interaction with the Undine, venturing into their native Fluidic space to learn more about the enigmatic species and their struggle with the Borg.
The Undine story continues with five new Episodes, a Fleet Action and all new Deep Space Encounters.
Coming to a space station near you is the casino game Dabo. Play Dabo in social hubs to earn gold pressed latinum, which you can then use to buy all sorts of special rewards.
Along with Dabo is the Anomaly Scan mini-game.
Anomaly Scan is a new way to discover resources in-game. By playing this special mini-game, you'll be able to find more anomalies than normal. You'll improve your yield and feel more engaged.
Feature Episodes, Weekly
In addition to all the great story-based Episodes we've got on tap for you, we'll be releasing new Feature Episodes every week, starting in August. These Episodes will introduce a new neutral mission giving race, the Deferi. Players of any level from both factions will be able to aid the Deferi against a new adversary. Be sure to keep an eye out for these special Feature Episodes as you enjoy Season Two!
Customization And More
We've got some great quality of life features headed your way, too. Some new improvements include:
* Fleet Emblems: Fleets can customize their own emblems and display them on ships, giving a Fleet a unified appearance in space.
* Improved Klingon Customization: All new costume options for Klingon Captains, and we've redesigned existing costume options to look better.
Once your friend has purchased Star Trek Online, you’ll receive a brand new title – Courier – as well as an exclusive Holographic Tribble Pet! What’s more, you both can enjoy:
* A special power to instantly travel to your friend (first 30 days).
* A 5% Captain and Officer skill point bonus when you’re teamed up (first 15 days).
* A 5% damage bonus when you’re teamed up (first 15 days).
Once your recruit has subscribed to the game for a month, you’ll earn:
* A new title: Recruiter.
* An exclusive Holographic Bridge Officer (works with Federation and Klingon players).
* 400 Cryptic Points.
For each additional recruit that subscribes to the game, you’ll receive an additional 400 Cryptic Points. Once you’ve recruited five subscribers, you’ll receive these great rewards:
* A new title: Master Recruiter
* A special ship: The Tier 5 "All Good Things" Galaxy Class.
Taken from The Season 2 state of the game update:
Play with us!
Everything Coming Soon (That Isn’t Part of Season 2)
You may have already seen it in d Stahl’s engineering reports, but we have a lot of great things coming in the next several months:
* The Accolade System – I know how much you guys have been wanting this, and I have to admit, I’m pretty stoked about it, too. Track your achievements. How much phaser damage have you dealt in your career? How many Federation officers have you shuffled off this mortal coil (assuming you’re playing a Klingon. No killing your allies, guys!)?
* The Squad System – This will let you team up with other players who aren’t in your level, and lets your effectiveness match so you can play together.
* Balance Adjustments – We have those DPS/recharge/global-ability-cooldown adjustments that many of our high-end players have been requesting. Log into Tribble and check them out. Give us your feedback! We’re testing it out now, so this is when we need to hear from you the most. Also – don’t forget to log into Tribble to “play with the devs” early next week. We’ll be there, will you?
* UI Improvements – We’re working on a window that will show you when rewards happen during normal character advancement (powers, unlocks, bridge officer reqs, etc.).
* Bug Fixes and Improvements – We’re always working on fixes and improvements, because a game developer’s job is never done.
But I’m betting a lot of you know this already, because you all read dStahl’s engineering reports, right?
Just so you know, though, we’re going to have to put out those reports without dStahl’s help for a little while, since he’s off becoming a dad right now.
Season 2 is nearly upon us, and we’ve been working on a ton of content for that release:
* Minigames – Yes, ThomastheCat, there really is a Santa Claus. Or, at least, there really will be minigames in STO. As of update 1.3, you’ll be able to play Dabo at Quark’s. And we’ll be adding several more minigames throughout your ship and the galaxy in Season 2. There’s a great thread about minigames on the forums. Jump on board and chime in!
* Federation Diplomatic Corps – Federation players will be able to focus more on non-combat content and gain rank within the Diplomatic Corps. There are some very cool rewards in there, and some new diplomatic/exploration Episodes and missions. In fact, I played through a new “First Contact” scenario yesterday …We see a lot of potential for future diplomatic updates.
* Faction Free Episodes –The majority of Episodic content we’re adding to STO will be faction-agnostic. Both Klingon and Federation captains will be able to play through this content (although, probably not together – unless you really want to). The Breen Episodes and the high-end episodes in fluidic space will be available to Klingons.
* Klingon Exclusive Episodes - Because everyone loves Klingons, right? Season 2 has several Episodes just for Klingons. (The Fek’Lhri are scary, but I so want to fly one of their ships …)
* Bumping the Cap – We’re moving the cap up 6 grades to Vice Admiral 1. There will be more rewards and more content for those of you up at the end of the game.
* Ship Interiors – I have walked the curved hallways of my crew deck on the way to MY ten-forward …
* Weekly Content – We’re looking to start rolling out an Episode every week. Like a “STO Tuesdays” sorta thing (it may even happen on Tuesdays, but no promises on that one). We’ll start rolling out weekly Episodes after Season 2 goes live.
* Fleet Logos, High End Content, and Beyond … all before the end of July.
Penny Arcade has a fleet up and running. We have several bank tabs and are adding more as funds allow.
We also have a chat channel setup. To join, type the following:
/channel_join "Penny Arcade"
The quotation marks are important, don't forget them.
There is also a PA Klingon Fleet, called the "House of M'rch." They have their own thread which can be found here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111231
Suricata's Ship Tier Chart
Suricata's Star Chart
Official Forums Information Index
"The Engines Can't Take It" information blog
Memory Alpha Crafting Info Thread
Q: How do I go faster in space?
A: Toggle Full Impulse by pressing Shift + R or else click the Up Arrow button on your throttle display. Warning: Going into full impulse drains all power from shields, weapons, and aux to allow you to go faster. It is unwise to blast straight into combat from full impulse. A wiser course of action is to drop out of full impulse a short distance outside of combat range and let your power levels readjust themselves.
Q: When do I get a promotion and a new ship?
A: You get new ships at levels 11, 21, 31, and 41. This corresponds with your promotion to Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain, and Rear Admiral.
Q: How come I can't auto-fire multiple beams at once?
A: Currently the game is designed so that you can only have 1 Fore and 1 Aft weapon set to auto-fire at a time. The common work-around for this is to press the spacebar to fire all available beams. Warning: Once you start adding more than 3 beams to your ship, energy consumption becomes an issue. Make sure you don't drain all your power by spamming the spacebar too much.
Q: How do I access Fleet controls, PVP Queues, the Bridge, and other options?
A: There is an icon to the right of your mini-map which is a down arrow. Clicking this down arrow will give you a drop-down menu which has several important features on it. Yeah, its fairly well hidden.
Q: What is the difference between Patrols, Exploration, and Sector Defense missions?
A: Patrols are a one-time-only mission in which you are tasked with visiting 3-5 planets and completing an objective there. Exploration missions are repeatable but have a cooldown timer between repetitions. Typically you will be asked to beam to a planet and scan a few things, or else fly in space and scan anomalies, or sometimes defend a starbase from waves of enemies. Sector Defense missions are also repeatable. These are very simple combat missions in which you are supposed to kill 9 or 10 squads of enemies on a Deep Space Encounter map. All players on the map share the same objective.
Q: How do I turn-in quests or acquire new ones?
A: On the bottom left of your mini-map is a Starfleet icon. If you click this icon, it opens a window with all of your available mission contacts. From this window you will be able to turn-in and pick-up new missions. You do not have to fly back and visit your contact in person between each mission.
Q: What are Fleet Actions?
A: Fleet Actions are the same thing as Public Quests in other MMOs. They are a combat zone in which all players are working towards completing the same goal. The top 4 performers on a map are awarded good loot items, and everyone else is given vendor trash. Even if you don't score in the top 4, these are still a lot of fun and are worth running at least once to get quest completion. Scoring is based upon damage done to the enemy's hull. Shield damage does not count.
Q: How do I adjust my power settings?
A: The button on your power control window that looks like two sheets of paper will bring up a small menu with a 1, 2, and 3 on it. If you click button 3, it will change your window to allow you complete control over your power settings. This is the only way you can raise your aux.
Designed to be played by circling your enemy. These have a slow turn rate and are intended to be used as "tanks" and damage soakers. The common consensus seems to be that players should stick with beam arrays -- this will give them the largest firing arcs and weapon overlap as they circle their enemy.
Designed to be played as a "hit and fade" style of attack. These are very fast and maneuverable ships. They are intended to make multiple passes on their target, unloading all the firepower they can on each successive pass. They have the lowest crew population and the smallest shields. This means they have lower survivability and low repair rates. They must rely on other ships to soak the damage and repair them when necessary.
These ships are intended to be support ships on the battlefield. They have some incredibly strong buffs and debuffs at their disposal. They are also fairly maneuverable, although not as much as the escorts. They have the smallest amount of weapon slots and their primary strength lies in the usage of their abilities, not in their phaser banks or torpedoes.
The Borg are Scary
(Upcoming content additions)
New missions for the 41+ crowd:
The Hive Mind Is Everywhere
The Borg are invading! Just in time for many of you to reach the rank of Admiral, we've got three new high-level Episodes centered around the classic Alpha Quadrant menace, the Borg. Here's what you can expect:
* Collateral Damage - Help save civilians caught in a battle between the Borg and Undine.
* Recovery - In this follow-up to Collateral Damage, Rescue colonists infected by the Borg virus and fight Undine determined to destroy them!
* State of Q - Q transports you back in time to do him a special favor.
* More to come!
Raid Episodes Coming Your Way
If you're looking for a challenge, look no further than our upcoming Raid Episodes, which combine bold storytelling with our toughest five-man missions yet. These are just a few of the Raid Episodes we'll be rolling out over the coming weeks, beginning a week after launch. Raid Episodes are available to both Federation and Klingon players.
* Infected - Investigate a federation station that Starfleet has lost contact with.
* The Cure - A planet has been completely taken over by the Borg. Fight them for control of the planet.
* Khitomer Accord - Travel back in time and uncover and participate in the events that led to the release of old Borg you encountered in the Tutorial Episode.
* Into the Hive - Track down a missing Starfleet captain and come face to face with the new Borg Queen.
Old Thread Archive:
Open Beta Thread
Retail Thread I
Wrath of Khan Admiral Uniforms --
All you have to do is enter JIH MUSHA SOH
into your STO profile page.
Cryptic has teamed up with Del Taco for a promotional give-away. They are giving away an in-game vanity pet Shuttlecraft. Getting value meals will get you the cup you need with the promotional sticker.
Del Taco Store Location Page