As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musical comedy is awesome. Discuss. [Youtube clip heavy]

EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, let's talk musical comedy. I love the stuff, and thankfully, it's made something of a comeback these
last few years. I'm going to post a bunch of my favourites across a few genres, and I'd love for you all to
share yours too. Let's chat about all the awesomeness of musical comedy!

So, first we have
MUSICAL COMEDY AS STANDUP

Two undeniable greats of this genre are the brilliant BILL BAILEY and the magnificent relative newcomer, TIM MINCHIN.

Bill can turn his hand to nearly any instrument, and has perfect pitch. His songs can be a little off-the wall, but are always great. He often mocks popular culture too, especially youth culture.
Tim, on the other hand, is primarily a pianist, who I think surpasses Bill in terms of wit. Tim also tends to get political, and often writes terrific songs about the failings of religion: And here's my absolute favourite of his: I don't want to flood this page, but seriously, check out more of Tim's stuff, there's loads on Youtube. 'Storm' is an incredible beat poem about people who are dicks, and there's a wealth of good humour in his other standup all over the place. He's pretty much spot on in every song.

And now we come to
MUSICAL COMEDY IN TV SHOWS

Of these probably the most notable are FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, given that their entire show was built as a vehicle for their music. Flight of the Conchords are a couple of guys from New Zealand who wind up in New York looking for fame, and who play a bunch of songs throughout each episode. The majority of their songs are love songs, but each one is unique. They also like to parody existing genres, for example, dance music: ...and sometimes hip hop:
Bizarre London adventure show THE MIGHTY BOOSH tended to have a song in each episode, one of the best is this:
There're also the fun times when musical comedy pops up in shows where you don't expect it, like in the recent HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER episode: Or in the impeccable 80s horror parody DARKPLACE:
Right, I think that's enough to be going on with. Tell me what you like! Tell me what you don't like! Please post videos to give your examples, and give a little description for each. GO!

EddieDean on

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, if we're dealing with musical comedy, I think there's a chap you might be familiar with.

First Of May

But some of you people might not know these guys, formerly member of Davinci's Notebook. They tour with Coulton pretty much constantly, and in my opinion they're actually funnier, at least live.

Opening Band

Nun Fight

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those are fantastic, I'd not had that Coulton song. Also I note with interest that your entire avatar/sig combo is based on one of his songs, and an awesome one at that:
    Mandelbrot Set

EddieDean on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Equal parts Coulton's song and my love of strange math.

More musical comedy acts! The Arrogant Worms, a Canadian group that sings funny songs about Canada.

Ontario Sucks

YamiNoSenshi on