As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turn that frown upside down!

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
And by frown I mean guitar. I fractured my left elbow about 2 months ago, just got approval to keep my arm out of the splint all the time, but have been doing occupational therapy to get my range of motion back in my left arm. My main problem now, however, is that I am unable to turn my wrist upward and therefore I cannot play my right-handed guitar anymore. I'm originally left-handed anyway, and I have an older guitar that has been collecting dust for the past few years that I've decided to try to convert so that I can play it southpaw. Has anyone here done this before and do you have any advice for me on how this can be accomplished? I'm already aware that it will take more than just putting the strings in backwards; I know I am going to have put in a new bridge or reverse the old one and also drill new notches in the nut. Is there anything else I'm missing that will need to be done? Also, does anyone know how this will affect the tone of the guitar?

TLDR: I fractured my left elbow, want to convert my right-handed guitar so I can play it left-handed.

Edit - The guitar is a Hohner acoustic.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OK, it won't sound the same if its a decent guitar, cos the soundboard will be thicker on the wrong side. I've changed a righty into a lefty, it wasn't hard - changed the bridge and nut round and re-strung it, but it was a cheap one, just for my daughter to learn on. the other option is to turn your guitar over, and play the chords upside down - that's how I first learnt on a righty before I could afford to buy my own. Bar chords are a bit tricky upside down, and I had to use my thumb to play G. Its doable, though!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."