As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: A Series of Tubes (Map pack out now!)

• Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Played a few rounds of this (for the first time in ages, I got MAG recently and god it's fun.) last night with Willeth and I redisovered my love for the intervention. You just feel like a boss when you one shot kill someone and hear that lovely bolt action.

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been getting a lot better with the Intervention. I only sometimes pull positive with it but akimbo M93s helps.

I did get two sweet bullet penetration kills though. I've been focusing on getting one shot kills through glass for that. I was on Rundown on A side in the left side of the bottom floor of A building. It has the big picture window. I chilled there until someone came across the bridge. I didn't think I'd pull it off but I got a nice headshot through the glass. Waited a little while longer and another guy came across. Somehow I got another clean headshot through the cracked glass while he was running. FMJ challenges made easy.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    RyanMCRyanMC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FFS Kotick is a ass. And after his arrogant speech at Dice too...

RyanMC on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RyanMC wrote: »

What is Dice again? A con about breeding innovation in gaming, right?

Why the hell was Kotick invited to speak?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If Activision did indeed fire the two top guys at IW, it's their loss. They likely took issue with IW wanting to move on to a different intellectual property, instead of churning out interminable Modern Warfare sequels.

Of course, they also originally took issue with IW wanting to make a CoD-style FPS set in modern times, and look how that turned out.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    RyanMCRyanMC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RyanMC wrote: »

What is Dice again? A con about breeding innovation in gaming, right?

Why the hell was Kotick invited to speak?

Here ya go dude.

http://g4tv.com/dice2010/

Essentially, it is where developers get together and bounce idea's off each other.

RyanMC on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Though the flow of people joining the steam group has slowed down to about 2-3 a month, and it never bothers me bit spending 3 seconds to add someone. I forgot that any member is able to invite folks, I also forgot to ever tell anyone it was set up like that 8-)

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

UPDATE 11:11 PM: Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling has vaguely addressed the situation.

"I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot," said Bowling on his Twitter account, "they're in vain - as I have no info."

UPDATE 10:07 PM: More developments on the situation at Infinity Ward have come to light.

A screen shot surfaced from Infinity Ward CTO Jason West's Facebook page at Kotaku with the status update "Jason West is drinking. Also, unemployed." I can confirm from a source that's friends with West that update did actually come from West's account.

:? Well then.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cheap or Kosher?

Kosher. Anyone who runs up to that bunker on Afghan without checking the field for enemies first deserves what they get.

Besides, more than 2/3 of the XBL zerglings who play this game just run around blindly until they get shot, and then mash X and rush whoever shot them. They don't employ strategy, so they're not deserving of any complicated, ingenious strategy in return. Take cover, shoot the tunnel-vision dipshits as they run past, then relocate and do the same when they come back looking for revenge.

Edit: removed speculation about current events at IW, in light of new information

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    kotick.jpg

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well duh.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I've been getting a lot better with the Intervention. I only sometimes pull positive with it but akimbo M93s helps.

I did get two sweet bullet penetration kills though. I've been focusing on getting one shot kills through glass for that. I was on Rundown on A side in the left side of the bottom floor of A building. It has the big picture window. I chilled there until someone came across the bridge. I didn't think I'd pull it off but I got a nice headshot through the glass. Waited a little while longer and another guy came across. Somehow I got another clean headshot through the cracked glass while he was running. FMJ challenges made easy.

Yeah, I used that glass a shit ton when I was mastering the sniper rifles. You can get 3 shots through it if you're lucky. Its awesome in HC. Oh, you can also lay down and shoot through the shards that remain in the frame.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sanguinary wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »

Yeah, I used that glass a shit ton when I was mastering the sniper rifles. You can get 3 shots through it if you're lucky. Its awesome in HC. Oh, you can also lay down and shoot through the shards that remain in the frame.

Unfortunately, those shards do not count towards the penetration challenges.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The ACR is a laser rifle, it is ridiculous. Its like the AUG with a grip, except I don't even need a grip.

Also sorry if I sounded cranky, I haven't slept much in two days because my room keeps flooding.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Don't worry, I out-crankied you, especially as time passed. Got Blue Tiger for the AUG though, so I'm happy in the end.

And I'd feel guilty for that Game-Winning Knife kill if it wasn't the kind of thing that happens to me like clockwork.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Something was mentioned about court papers being filed over breach of contract in an SEC filing, which may relate to what just went down, but nobody seems to know much so far it seems. I'm.....not a fan of Call of Duty. I played through the first one on easy, that's it. But still, I'm no idiot, I recognize how popular the series is and how well it does commercially, so I have to say this whole thing is bizarre.

It's like they just tracked down the golden goose and cooked it for dinner. Kotick better have one hell of a good reason for it or this is going to end up badly. Stockholders don't like this sort of thing.

Astale on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blue Tiger on the AUG is kind of disappointing because the skin looks really low res

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So for someone who really loves MW2's core but is infuriated on a daily basis by the pants-on-head stupidity of a myriad of the gameplay design decisions, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're not forced to use the blue tiger camo so it shouldn't really affect things too much one way or another.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    So for someone who really loves MW2's core but is infuriated on a daily basis by the pants-on-head stupidity of a myriad of the gameplay design decisions, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Probably isn't going to change much in the immediate future.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Probably isn't going to change much in the immediate future.

Or try out Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It at least has a sale from me based on the demo. It does so much better than MW2 in almost every way from the demo I played. I'm not certain since the devil is in the details, but it seems better.

So does anyone know anything MORE about the heads of IW getting shit-canned?
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/02/rumor-activision-ousts-infinity-ward-higher-ups/#comments

Anyone know what the insubordination was? I assume some sort of power play between IW's heads and Activision. I assume Activision won in the short-term.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The question becomes, Why play MW2 at all? There have been a bevy of games released that are very different than it. Whereas, like in december, everyone was playing it, many people are playing other games now. So why play the game?

For me, it's because the core gameplay mechanic is fun. I like big kill streaks, I like winning, I like that I don't HAVE to empty a clip into someone and that there are multiple ways to kill people legitimately. Yeah, silly goose things like CP glitching and models and lag frustrated me, but only because I was having fun to begin with.

belligerent on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The question becomes, Why play MW2 at all? There have been a bevy of games released that are very different than it. Whereas, like in december, everyone was playing it, many people are playing other games now. So why play the game?

For me, it's because the core gameplay mechanic is fun. I like big kill streaks, I like winning, I like that I don't HAVE to empty a clip into someone and that there are multiple ways to kill people legitimately. Yeah, silly goose things like CP glitching and models and lag frustrated me, but only because I was having fun to begin with.

I agree about the core gameplay.

BC2 is definitely a quality game, but I just don't like the hooj maps/vehicle stuff. I like the smaller, skirmish-y feel of MW2.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    well, let's put it this way.

if dude made MW2 for a certain fee, then he did an awesome job.

Try negotiating a reasonable fee with him to make MW3.

See where this is going?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm determined to make the F2000 work. The more people bag it the more I want to use it. I also root for underdogs and hug orphans in my spare time. So here's a wacky build I'll try out in about a week when I get back on Live:

F2000, Akimbo Rangers
    Blast Shield, Stun Grenades
    Scavenger, Hardline, Steady Aim

This also runs off a synergy I really want to try: Blast Shield countering the Stun effect. So the idea is that you should be entering rooms, turning on BS, chucking a stun and hipfiring. It's crazy...but it just might work.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BC2 might be good, but it looks as different as can be from MW2.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »

See where this is going?
    The fact that it happened abruptly and with security guards makes me think it's not part of negotiating, and more part of Jason West or someone else potentially looking to start their own company and bring other employees with him kind of thing. Activision's actions are stupid unless he was already out the door one way or the other. Re: the SEC, Activision filed their 10-K (essentially their annual report to the SEC) yesterday and also a S-8 in conjunction with how many shares of stock they are issuing to compensate their employees. Nothing IW or Jason West related.

Edit. I clicked though the joystiq link and in the 10-K they mentioned insubordination by some IW heads and potential litigation. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but yeah, this doesn't seem like negotiating.

http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=activision&match=&CIK=&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany

eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Musicool wrote: »
    I'm determined to make the F2000 work. The more people bag it the more I want to use it. I also root for underdogs and hug orphans in my spare time. So here's a wacky build I'll try out in about a week when I get back on Live:

F2000, Akimbo Rangers

This also runs off a synergy I really want to try: Blast Shield countering the Stun effect. So the idea is that you should be entering rooms, turning on BS, chucking a stun and hipfiring. It's crazy...but it just might work.

I really think you should throw SP on that. So, if you find yourself in a position where the bad guys are more than ~20' away you can still kill them.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sanguinary wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »

F2000, Akimbo Rangers

I really think you should throw SP on that. So, if you find yourself in a position where the bad guys are more than ~20' away you can still kill them.

You have a point there. I wasn't sure about Hardline. It seemed nice to combine with UAV so that you could plan your room clearing duties; and this class is so aggressive it isn't likely to get to the higher killstreaks, so Hardline is nice. But SP definitely looks like a better choice.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eeks wrote: »
    eatmosushi wrote: »

See where this is going?
    The fact that it happened abruptly and with security guards makes me think it's not part of negotiating, and more part of Jason West or someone else potentially looking to start their own company and bring other employees with him kind of thing. Activision's actions are stupid unless he was already out the door one way or the other. Re: the SEC, Activision filed their 10-K (essentially their annual report to the SEC) yesterday and also a S-8 in conjunction with how many shares of stock they are issuing to compensate their employees. Nothing IW or Jason West related.

Edit. I clicked though the joystiq link and in the 10-K they mentioned insubordination by some IW heads and potential litigation. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but yeah, this doesn't seem like negotiating.

http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=activision&match=&CIK=&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany

Exactly. This was an SEC filing. This is not a joke, this is in fact Serious Buisness. As sites have said, expect major lawsuits.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    levels 1 to 50 are like the most fun i've ever had in a shooter. But then levels slow down and all the guns i need are there and i'm like "oh well"

Not sure if i'll prestige again. I like the Round 2 title thing, but Extended mags are such a whore to get.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing that has kept MW2 on my hard drive that will keep it there for a lot longer (besides really liking it) is the fact that I can load it up and join a lobby in like 10 seconds on my craptastic PC. Hell it loads faster than peggle, wtf every other game?!

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah, that's a small thing that makes me love MW2.

A, A, A, A, Right, A, A In matchmaking in 2 seconds. Awsome.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apparently the whole SEC filing was because the IW heads were indeed trying to walk out on Activision and take the whole studio with them. News is reporting that is seems Activision had not been paying them royalties for MW2 for whatever insane reason, and IW decided that if they weren't going to be paid for their work, they weren't going to work. Activision responded to this by firing them all. (Edit: By 'all' I mean the brass, but in all likelyhood this will result in a meltdown of the studio, so might as well have been.)

So yeah, this is gonna end up as a mess in court.

Astale on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ewww

So possibly Treyarch could take over the CoD franchise completely? Is this a legitimate fear to have?

MW3 is still a title that I would consider "must have" (I'd like closure on Soap and Price), but Treyarch on the other hand, consistantly produce feces.

Edit: IMO... happy?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ewww

So possibly Treyarch could take over the CoD franchise completely? Is this a legitimate fear to have?

MW3 is still a title that I would consider "must have" (I'd like closure on Soap and Price), but Treyarch on the other hand, consistantly produce feces.

Treyarch makes fine games. Don't start up a flame war. Simply because the WWII and 'Nam scenarios have been beaten to death does not mean that Treyarch is a terrible producer. World at War is certainly more balanced than MW2 (sans the MP40), and much more entertaining. If they made a game in a modern scenario after their new Vietnam game, I would gladly buy it.

edit: MW2's matchmaking is trash. Don't you dare applaud it. This game has the saddest excuse for a matchmaking service I've seen in any of the games I've played. Even with a measly two people in your party, 70% of your time will be spent backing out because it put him in a different lobby, waiting for the game to find another group of two people, having people back out 2 seconds before the game starts, and then having him drop as soon as the game actually does start. Now imagine it with nine players. It's an abysmal experience and I'm glad to be rid of it for the time being.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ewww

Treyarch makes fine games. Don't start up a flame war. Simply because the WWII and 'Nam scenarios have been beaten to death does not mean that Treyarch is a terrible producer. World at War is certainly more balanced than MW2 (sans the MP40), and much more entertaining. If they made a game in a modern scenario after their new Vietnam game, I would gladly buy it.

I disagree with everything you just said.

I don't care if it is WWII or 'Nam settings. I want a good game, and W@W, simply, is not one in my opinion.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ewww

I don't care if it is WWII or 'Nam settings. I want a good game, and W@W, simply, is not one in my opinion.

Compared to MW2?

Better game. The good weapons being at the higher levels kind of blew ass, because I got to 33 and realized that they were still ridiculously far away, but the game was nowhere near as frustrating as MW2.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ewww

Compared to MW2?

Better game. The good weapons being at the higher levels kind of blew ass, because I got to 33 and realized that they were still ridiculously far away, but the game was nowhere near as frustrating as MW2.

If I liked W@W more than MW2, I would still be playing W@W. Very similar to Halo 2 and Halo 3. I dispised Halo 3, and kept playing Halo 2 for like the following year until I moved on to Modern War, the first. When W@W came out, I quickly resold it and continued playing Modern War, the first.

Burtletoy on