As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For your [HEALTH CARE]!

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTODzOOsCDA

The health care debate in America is heating up as Lord Obama summons his wary friends and mortal enemies for a massive health care summit.

Will it be a productive debate? Or a PR stunt?

Is health care reform doomed? Or will Reid actually go through with his indication that he's going to pass the Senate bill, amended through reconciliation?

No man can say! But please discuss.

Update: this link contains a nice explanatory table of the differences between the Senate, House, and Obama's plans. Here's another way to compare the bills, courtesy of the Kaiser foundation.

Qingu on

• Options
    GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It only took them what, a year to figure out that reconciliation was the only way to get this through?

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Health care is nice.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From Rust (obviously):
    The way I see it the current rhetoric is an improvement. Before they were talking about bipartisanship and trying to pass it through cloture. Reconciliation wasn't even discussed. Now they're talking about reconciliation, and getting 50/51 votes with 59 senators is easier than getting 60 with 60. Furthermore 20 senators going on record for using reconciliation for the public option is 20 more than we had before.

This is a marginal improvement. You don't have to be naive to think that, you just have to be able to recognize incremental progress. Before the public option was dead, now it's on life support: improvement.
    "incremental progress" doesn't matter if they take two steps back for every one step forward

and the increments are usually rolled back as soon as party leadership changes hands anyway

it's worthless

What are the "two steps back" here that you seem to think exist?

shryke on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    qingu i came into this thread only because of the title, hoping to see exactly what i saw at the beginning

good work

Snork on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It only took them what, a year to figure out that reconciliation was the only way to get this through?

It . . . wasn't the only way until a month ago?

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaker wrote: »

Well, considering the best bill that got through the Senate is hated by the House, I'm not sure how true that is. Maybe they could have agreed to something in conference that Nelson/Lieberman/Lincoln/Landrieu would have voted for, but that's not a guarantee.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Meh. The best they could do is give a massive handout to the insurance companies (otherwise known as the scumbags to the general populace) and then they wonder why their big health plan is going over like a lead balloon?

Ha.

Obama was voted in to change things, and his public opinion health care bid was a big part of that. Now the brunt of their bill is everyone is forced to buy the same shitty coverage they could get now. If they don't fix this bill pronto to be something Americans will like, the republicans will own the congress once again.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I never read comments but your link jumped down to them and this is just interesting.

If you werenot aTrotskyite RINO Leftist fake NeoCON, and were a True Conservative then this partisan crap wouldnot be even occurring. Since you, McConnell are exactly what Obama needs in office to ensure his radical Healthcare Bill, then many like myself will continue to let others KNOW that you and Obama are ANTI-Americans. People like you and obama sicken what is truthful, and make truth fiction. What sayings can be made from yours and obamas actions? War is Peace, Truth is lies, Up is Down, Bad is Good. All that I can add is: YOU LIE! There is No difference in the Red vs Blue Party Labels Americans who truly Love their Country. These two factions work together cohesively to fool and to enslave you. May God Bless America Once Again.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That's not bow chicka bow bow that's exactly what we already knew. McConnell doesn't know if he has 10 Democrats, and I don't think we know we have 50.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    Now the brunt of their bill is everyone is forced to buy the same shitty coverage they could get now.
    Completely false.

Qingu on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Meh. The best they could do is give a massive handout to the insurance companies (otherwise known as the scumbags to the general populace) and then they wonder why their big health plan is going over like a lead balloon?

Ha.

Obama was voted in to change things, and his public opinion health care bid was a big part of that. Now the brunt of their bill is everyone is forced to buy the same shitty coverage they could get now. If they don't fix this bill pronto to be something Americans will like, the republicans will own the congress once again.

No it isn't, and no they couldn't.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Now the brunt of their bill is everyone is forced to buy the same shitty coverage they could get now.
    Completely false.

Right. I trust the same kinds of people who make Erin Brockovitch decisions to never screw over sick people for the sake of the bottom line... again. I mean, once this bill passes everyone will turn over a new leaf and sing and dance together in the forest of good times and happiness.

Or, it'll be the same people doing the same shit with a different veneer. Definition of insanity: Repeating the same action in the same way expecting different results.

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

a) Part of the reason we lost in MA was because HCR had taken so long and Lieberman Nelson, et al had taken out the PO while putting in obvious bribes.

b) Even if we didn't lose in MA Nelson would have stabbed everyone in the back.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never read comments but your link jumped down to them and this is just interesting.

If you werenot aTrotskyite RINO Leftist fake NeoCON, and were a True Conservative then this partisan crap wouldnot be even occurring. Since you, McConnell are exactly what Obama needs in office to ensure his radical Healthcare Bill, then many like myself will continue to let others KNOW that you and Obama are ANTI-Americans. People like you and obama sicken what is truthful, and make truth fiction. What sayings can be made from yours and obamas actions? War is Peace, Truth is lies, Up is Down, Bad is Good. All that I can add is: YOU LIE! There is No difference in the Red vs Blue Party Labels Americans who truly Love their Country. These two factions work together cohesively to fool and to enslave you. May God Bless America Once Again.

That reads like Tea Party Mad Libs. It's only missing a masturbatory sentence about the founding fathers/the constitution.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2010

How sad is it that majority rule (and not even that, really, since a majority of the country is represented by only 25 Dems) is going to get disparaged as the primary narrative?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

Right. I trust the same kinds of people who make Erin Brockovitch decisions to never screw over sick people for the sake of the bottom line... again. I mean, once this bill passes everyone will turn over a new leaf and sing and dance together in the forest of good times and happiness.

Or, it'll be the same people doing the same shit with a different veneer. Definition of insanity: Repeating the same action in the same way expecting different results.
    Don't let reality get in the way of your cynicism and paranoia, I guess?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

I never realized that OPM poisoned old people.

moniker on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

a) Part of the reason we lost in MA was because HCR had taken so long and Lieberman Nelson, et al had taken out the PO while putting in obvious bribes.

MA already had health care that was better than anything Lieberman or Nelson was blocking. Health Care didn't kill Coakley, sports trivia killed Coakley.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

Yeah, I wouldn't want history and fact to get in the way of your hopeless optimism. Carry on.

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I blame liberals like Derrick for our loss in MA. People who, instead of acting pragmatically, throw a hissy fit when an imperfect and flawed bill emerges from a messy process and irrationally parrot the bullshit line that it's worse than the status quo.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, considering the best bill that got through the Senate is hated by the House, I'm not sure how true that is. Maybe they could have agreed to something in conference that Nelson/Lieberman/Lincoln/Landrieu would have voted for, but that's not a guarantee.

Yawn.

No one cares about process.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

Yeah, I wouldn't want history and fact to get in the way of your hopeless optimism. Carry on.
    You are confusing history and fact with paranoia.

Your argument is identical to the people who castigate a public option because they don't trust government.

The bill heavily regulates insurance companies. Your argument is based on paranoid fantasies about the all-powerful insurance companies magically circumventing such regulation.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

MA already had health care that was better than anything Lieberman or Nelson was blocking. Health Care didn't kill Coakley, sports trivia killed Coakley.
    Healthcare was one factor. The bribes to Nelson and Landreiu especially.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

When in history has 10-20% of Americans had their insurance plans selected by the Office of Personnel Management? I mean, I knew the Federal Government was the largest employer, but I didn't think it was that big.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yawn.

Well, Reid does. That's the problem.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yawn.

When voting, did you miss that part of the argument? The process of passing legislation matters obviously matters when you're trying to pass legislation.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Obama to urge oversight of insurers' rate increases
    NYT wrote:
    WASHINGTON — President Obama will propose on Monday giving the federal government new power to block excessive rate increases by health insurance companies, as he rolls out comprehensive legislation to revamp the nation’s health care system, White House officials said.

The president’s legislation aims to bridge differences between the bills adopted by the House and Senate late last year, and to frame his debate with Republicans over health policy at a televised “summit” meeting on Thursday.

By focusing on the effort to tighten regulation of insurance costs, a new element not included in either the House or Senate bills, Mr. Obama is seizing on outrage over recent premium increases of up to 39 percent announced by Anthem Blue Cross of California and moving to portray the Democrats’ health overhaul as a way to protect Americans from predatory insurers.

Congressional Republicans have long denounced the Democrats’ legislation as a “government takeover” of health care. And while they will likely resist any expansion of federal authority over existing state regulators, they will face a tough balancing act at the meeting with the president to avoid appearing as if they are willing to allow steep premium hikes like those by Anthem.

Republican leaders had not formally accepted the president’s invitation to the meeting. But the Senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said on Sunday that he would attend. “I intend to be there, and my members will be there and ready to participate,” Mr. McConnell said on Fox News.

The president’s new provision seemed to offer Republicans an opening for a new line of criticism — that Mr. Obama and Democrats are anticipating the possibility of hefty price increases for health insurance even after their big legislation is adopted.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Exit polls showed even Brown voters statistically in favor of HRC. It makes no sense that those offended by the Nelson ammendment specifically would suddenly vote Republican, on any level.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How was that not already in the bills?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Exit polls showed even Brown voters statistically in favor of HRC. It makes no sense that those offended by the Nelson ammendment specifically would suddenly vote Republican, on any level.
    Never said they would vote Republican (though I'm sure some did). And I'm not talking about the Nelson amendment, I'm talking about the Cornhusker deal/Louisiana Purchase (or whatever the pundits are calling them these days). The medicaid deals for Nebraska and Louisiana.

• Options
    edited February 2010

Never said they would vote Republican (though I'm sure some did). And I'm not talking about the Nelson amendment, I'm talking about the Cornhusker deal/Louisiana Purchase (or whatever the pundits are calling them these days). The medicaid deals for Nebraska and Louisiana.
    There was absurd turnout, and the Democrat lost. What's the math we're using where that can happen without a ton of crossover, again?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Completely false.

You are confusing history and fact with paranoia.

Your argument is identical to the people who castigate a public option because they don't trust government.

The bill heavily regulates insurance companies. Your argument is based on paranoid fantasies about the all-powerful insurance companies magically circumventing such regulation.

It was my understanding the the new regulations are being enforced by the same toothless agency that had little luck enforcing the old regulations?

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There was absurd turnout, and the Democrat lost. What's the math we're using where that can happen without a ton of crossover, again?
    I'm not saying there wasn't crossover. And I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Coakley's loss.

• Options
    edited February 2010

I'm not saying there wasn't crossover. And I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Coakley's loss.
    Then what in the hell are you talking about?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    It was my understanding the the new regulations are being enforced by the same toothless agency that had little luck enforcing the old regulations?

Nope. OPM is in charge of the exchanges.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What agency, what old regulations, and how would you propose enforcing the new ones?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How was that not already in the bills?

It arguably was, but with a less direct sounding approach and not really publicized at the moment. This is basically just him using the bully pulpit.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Christ.

Coakley lost by what, five percent?

People outraged by bribes to Nelson et al + disaffected liberals (high turnout does not mean equal turnout) might equal the margin of her loss. That's all I'm saying.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Christ.

Coakley lost by what, five percent?

People outraged by bribes to Nelson et al + disaffected liberals (high turnout does not mean equal turnout) might equal the margin of her loss. That's all I'm saying.
    But, again;

Massachusetts is a hugely Democratic state. Massachusetts also has state health care that rivals that they would have gotten under the plan then going through the Senate. Even with giveaways going to other states and all the other crap, MA voters aren't voting on Healthcare. And if the are, they're not crossing over to vote for the Republican.

In a state like MA, massive voter turnout + Republican win = massive crossover voting. You don't crossover to vote against the party you support by a 2 to 1 margin because of misplaced subsidies, especially if they aren't actually going to effect your own services.

Coakley lost that election by 1) failing to campaign and 2) making an ass out of herself when she did. It wasn't in any sense a referendum on HCR at a national level.

OptimusZed on