As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pc refuses to boot.

NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so my desktop is refusing to boot. I turn it on and i've got a full light up, fans turn on and power seems to be getting to everything (disc drive opens, when I push sleep the HD spins up). Mobo seems to be working fine, I'm getting error beeps when I take out ram e.t.c. Normally I'd say this was a power supply failure but what's really odd is that it did this yesterday but eventually booted fine, so Im thinking it's some kind BIOS problem, except that is normally forwarned by the clock failing e.t.c and this is fairly sudden.

So, any ideas?

As for the box it's a prebuilt hunk of junk made of no name parts. On board graphics, intel chipset. I'll see if I can digout the documentation.

Norgoth on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Any error codes on bootup with the ram in?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The monitors not getting any signal at all, should of probably made that clear. The ony errr code in getting when I take out the ram is the tone for no ram, so no clues there.

Edit:and no error tones with everything in.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Do you get the normal post beep?

If so, it's probably the onboard video card failing, if not, the whole mobo might be gone and/or CPU.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm getting the post turn on beep. Would the card cause the tempory reusal to boot though? Once it got working yesterday there were no graphical errors, everything ran fine.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This one is really hard to pinpoint, if you have a spare PSU laying about you can see if that fixes it.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not to hand, but I can probably get one. I guess that's my only other option, I can't think of any more tests I can do.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it refusing to boot or is the video card dead? Try a spare video card imo.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Yeah I'm getting the post turn on beep. Would the card cause the tempory reusal to boot though? Once it got working yesterday there were no graphical errors, everything ran fine.

This sounds like it's the video card to me, although most systems beep if the video card is missing or has failed completely. It sounds more like the graphics card is dead, and just hasn't failed in a way that causes the chipset on the graphics card to stop responding (so the output stage isn't working properly, or something).

The kind of 'all of a sudden it fails' thing can happen without warning, it depends entirely on what failed as to what the symptoms are. Also, more often than not, turning things off, or turning things on are when the failure occurs, as they're more "violent" events than just running normally (things cool down, things heat up, and it crosses a stress threshold briefly, etc)

Grab an old working video card and give it a shot. there are plenty of totally cheap ones that you can use to test the theory for cheaps, or borrow a used one off a friend.

ashridah on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    aye, mine did this. booted to black screen, full boot once every 10 or so attempts. after much panicking about wrecked HDDs and viruses i took the GFX out and gave it a solid clean with some compressed air, which sorted it right out.

manji on
  • Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ashridah wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

This sounds like it's the video card to me, although most systems beep if the video card is missing or has failed completely. It sounds more like the graphics card is dead, and just hasn't failed in a way that causes the chipset on the graphics card to stop responding (so the output stage isn't working properly, or something).

The kind of 'all of a sudden it fails' thing can happen without warning, it depends entirely on what failed as to what the symptoms are. Also, more often than not, turning things off, or turning things on are when the failure occurs, as they're more "violent" events than just running normally (things cool down, things heat up, and it crosses a stress threshold briefly, etc)

Grab an old working video card and give it a shot. there are plenty of totally cheap ones that you can use to test the theory for cheaps, or borrow a used one off a friend.

I'm going to second this Hypothesis.

I had an Nvidia Geforce card that went to hell, resulting in my computer no longer booting up at all. Wouldn't even attempt to fire up.

(Its a built in safety feature so the shorted/damaged card doesn't take out the rest of the system)

Swap that out, or visit a friend who is nice enough to let you toss it in his desktop. (Best buy was nice enough to put it in one of their rigs for me, and I got a cheap replacement card from new egg for about 30 bucks.)

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's worth pointing out that this has an onboard card. Would putting in a new card allow it to boot or will it still fail (seeing as I can't remove the faulty one)?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It should let it boot. I'm beginning to suspect it's something else though.

bowen on