As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 question

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
There's a sweet student deal going around for Windows 7 home premium. It's 50 bucks.

I'm thinking of selling this laptop/upgrading in the next few months. If I buy it now, will I be unable to use it on my new laptop?

mooshoepork on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    When you sell the laptop just install Ubuntu on it, keep the disc and key for yourself

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So the code can be used on another computer? I thought it was one code to one computer?

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You might need to go through Microsoft's automated phone system to get your copy activated but as long as you're only running 7 on one computer you're good.

I'm 98% sure.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It depends on whether you're getting a Retail or OEM copy. A Retail license is transferrable, an OEM license isn't.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And if you're buying it separate from the computer, it's not OEM.

So you will be fine.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Windows 7 student license (I assume you're speaking of this) is a retail copy. You can move it from machine to machine, but it can only be installed on one machine at a time. It is considered an upgrade license, so you will need a licensed version of XP/Vista.

It may fail activation on a new machine if you've already activated it on another machine. You will need to call in to Microsoft to resolve that, but so long as it's only installed on one machine at a time it's still legit. To abide by the EULA you need to uninstall the O.S. from the existing machine before installing O.S. to the new machine.

I'm not sure of the specifics if your licensed version of XP/Vista is an OEM version, but I think it'd still by OK to move the Win7 upgrade between machines. You may wish to look at the EULA for OEM XP/Vista, but the T&C of the ultimatesteal offer does not seem to bar OEM versions from the promotion.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    And if you're buying it separate from the computer, it's not OEM.

So you will be fine.

Funny, that's the same thing my buddy who works for a MS contractor told me...

*cough*

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yay online stores! It's pretty much like any other shady dealer of SOFTWARE FOR CHEAP because it's not technically legit unless you get it installed by the manufacturer with a new system.

We were pretty strict about it at my business, no OEM unless we install it.

I suppose the student deal could be a shady thing like this too, but I find that highly unlikely since schools are super anal about licensing and not violating their relationship with companies. $50 for retail is a totally reasonable discount, at my school I actually am running Windows 7 that I got for free. :^: My brother is running a copy that my Microsoft buddy picked up, I think it was like $40 for Ultimate.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Where do you see Windows 7 for $50? The Student version is $64 for the download and $13 for them to send you the disk. And it is W7 Professional.

The Original preorder was $50 for Home and they had a deal for $30 for students that expired on January 5th.

The student discount is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

meeker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in Australia - http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/offers/windows-7-student-upgrade.aspx

Well, that's going to be a pain in the ass because I'm on a netbook. I can't just update my beta to a paid version? I have to put xp/vista on and then update that?

What is wrong with these people

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It is possible to do a clean install from an upgrade copy; I haven't done it myself, but Google knows how. I should point out that if you don't own a copy of XP or Vista, you would be breaking the terms of your license to do so, but presumably that's not an issue in your case since your netbook surely came with an earlier version of Windows included.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the Upgrade disk gives you two options.

Upgrade Install - Install using the same settings and files in Vista. No loss of data.

Custom Install - Format your drive and Install 7 clean.

It does not require you to have a previous version of Windows like the XP Upgrade Disk did.

meeker on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    odd. on my upgrade copy of Win7, that option never came up. i was forced to reinstall Vista so that the Win7 installer would see it before allowing me to do a clean install.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562