As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Buying Advice

EgosEgos Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys and gals, I have a 20 buck credit at Amazon towards games that expires soon. Was wondering to get some input...on how this would be best spent. I've kinda narrowed my options down to
Red Dead Redemption- game piques my interest quite a bit, but I never played Red Dead Revolver.. Although so far it looks great I have no idea what the odds of it turning out so are. And so far what I've seen looks like a Western GTAIV which sounds great in theory (but I don't know if that is a misconstrued perception)

(pro: also get another 10 dollar credit)

2. God of War 3: missed out on GoW 2, but was generally a fan of GoW 1. Except I'm not that into Kratos as a protagonist..my only problem. Otherwise I enjoyed the first game alot. This one seems more guaranteed to be a great title.

(pro: again get another 10 dollar credit)

3. Bayonetta: already guarenteed good, I have some fears though since I played the demo and am generally more of a fan of bloodier action...as shallow as it sounds.

Also wasn't a big fan of recent Devil May Cry games, but this seemed like an upgrade. So not sure If I'm being too judgemental.

4. Heavy Rain: seems like a good thing to experience at least once. The problem is it seems like it might be one of those things that is only worth experiencing once. And as evil as this sounds, I could see the price going down.

Any input from people who may have more insight into this games? Would ask in their respective threads. But obviously get bias alongside with me derailing the threads.

Thanks for any input.

Egos on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm going to assume you want a PS3 specific game.

Robman on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Heavy Rain thread is full of people who would tell you you are probably wrong. It's got alot of replayability.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    So I'm going to assume you want a PS3 specific game.

nah 360 or ps3 or wii are options

RDr and Bayonetta would likely be 360 buys (Bayonetta definitely would be), if I went for them.

The Heavy Rain thread is full of people who would tell you you are probably wrong. It's got alot of replayability.

The thing that had me worried was a review on Cheapassgamer, where after learning the twist the guy said he literally didn't want to touch the game again O_O

Egos on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1) Red Dead Redemption does look good. Rockstar has supposedly blown boatloads of cash on it, more than they could realistically hope to make back with anything short of GTA4 sales. That might be bad for Rockstar, and the money's surely been mismanaged, but from what I've seen it still looks like they've got something fun put together.

2) I am not a fan of the God of War series. I love DMC3 and action games in general, but something about GoW missed the mark for me. If it's your thing, that's a worthy investment too. The only thing they have to do for the 3rd one is deliver more of the same with a new graphics engine. They don't have to succeed to get 9/10 reviews, they just have to not fuck it up.

3) I bought Bayonetta, and while I enjoyed it, I still didn't like it as much as DMC3. The boss battles were grand, but they weren't challenging in the same way. I'd die to a boss and start up with full health at the same part where I'm supposed to dodge a fist and enter a quicktime event, rather than Agni and Rudra killing me until I properly responded to their sound and animation queues. The gameplay was still good, despite my gripes, but that's more than I can say for the cutscenes. I've put up with reading Squall's dialog, but I had to skip the vast majority of Bayonetta's cutscenes. If story is something you care about, this game doesn't have it.

4) Heavy Rain looks good. I haven't had any personal experience with it beyond watching my brother beat up some guy in a whore's apartment, but I really respect what those developers are doing with the medium. It's less of a "game" as we know it, and more like some chose-your-own-adventure film; pretty interesting stuff.

Between the four, I would personally bank on Red Dead Redemption. Heavy Rain a close a second. All four are solid titles, it really just comes down to which genre you're more interested in playing, I think.

Sideshowxela on