As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Marriage] And now we play the waiting game.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    <Youtube vid>

I wondered this in the last TOTALLY GAY thread but I didn't get a response - Is there an example of these children's books with same-sex couples in them online? I don't see how knowing gay people exist is going to encourage kids to 'turn gay'.

Because the gay is a product of the devil, and devil goods entice young people over to his side.

Just ask Marilyn Manson, an intelligent and good natured servant of the devil.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kistra wrote: »
    The only moral abortion is my abortion. It's a collection of stories from abortion providers about their interactions with pro-life women seeking abortions.

I just read through this article. Powerful stuff, and my expression became one of D: by the end of the first anecdote.

Edit:
    The medical director at a Dallas abortion clinic told this story: A white woman from an affluent north Dallas neighborhood brought her black maid in for an abortion and paid for it. While the maid was in a counseling session, a commotion was heard in the waiting room outside. The maid's employer was handing out anti-abortion leaflets to other women waiting for abortions.

/facepalm

Further edit: I do realize this isn't an abortion thread, but I think the article really captures the hypocrisy and disconnect people are capable of.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    *snip*

I wondered this in the last TOTALLY GAY thread but I didn't get a response - Is there an example of these children's books with same-sex couples in them online? I don't see how knowing gay people exist is going to encourage kids to 'turn gay'.

BAM! Jay and Brian did this for their kids. I haven't actually watched it so it might be cringeworthy, who knows.

Bonus points if you can bear to read the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW__kkEj_iU

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The MSM ban in blood donation was because gay men have a high AIDS-risk factor as a population group. The statistics on that have improved substantially since the ban was in place, however, and it is dated at this point.

I could buy the "MSM have a significantly higher risk of contracting AIDS" excuse under one condition: MSM may donate after a certain period of monogamy or celibacy from man-on man action.

Here in the UK, (and I think in the US too?) this is not in effect. MSM are banned for life, even after years of celibacy, monogamy, or exclusively heterosexual sex. That makes no sense, particularly when you consider that a woman who has sex with a MSM is banned for only a year.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I can explain the logic of why it's apparently dangerous to teach kids about homosexuality in four simple words: "homosexuality is a choice". They usually get away with this claim by redefining homosexuality as "gay sex", rather than "same-sex attraction".

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    mythago wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

Isn't it nice when your imagination matches up with reality?

Well, that's not actually reality. I don't know of any abortion clinics that are open in the dead of night. I understand that the But My Abortion Is Okay, I'm Not A Slut crowd just walks in the front door like everybody else.

Yeah, I reread that after I posted and wondered if I should say something like

"No one's imagining that. We know that no one does that.

They use the front door."

But I decided to leave it as it was. Because I'm lazy like that.

At least one of the stories kistra posted had someone asking if the clinic had a back door they could come in though. So it does happen a little anyway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The MSM ban in blood donation was because gay men have a high AIDS-risk factor as a population group. The statistics on that have improved substantially since the ban was in place, however, and it is dated at this point.

I could buy the "MSM have a significantly higher risk of contracting AIDS" excuse under one condition: MSM may donate after a certain period of monogamy or celibacy from man-on man action.

Here in the UK, (and I think in the US too?) this is not in effect. MSM are banned for life, even after years of celibacy, monogamy, or exclusively heterosexual sex. That makes no sense, particularly when you consider that a woman who has sex with a MSM is banned for only a year.

I'm not defending the ban, it was clumsily implemented and is basically obsolete at this point. Hopefully the Red Cross will change its policy soon.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The hell? Were gamers actually requesting this?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Probably a vocal minority, though MS doesn't really have any reason to disallow people from putting that sort of thing in their profile.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes.

Largely because having a reference to your (homo)sexuality in your gamer tag was forbidden, but saying you were straight was not. Essentially Don't Ask Don't Tell on XBOX Live. In fact that thread may have been a better choice for the link.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Probably a vocal minority, though MS doesn't really have any reason to disallow people from putting that sort of thing in their profile.

Does XBOX Live allow you to indicate your race on your profile?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Actually in this case it's our Attorney General, not our governor (though I have no faith in him to uphold equality for LGBT individuals given his statements in the past regarding Warner and Kaine's executive orders that banned sexuality-discrimination Re: State Government employment).

But yeah, I'll call it: Virginia, we're in the hole.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

:winky:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Actually in this case it's our Attorney General, not our governor (though I have no faith in him to uphold equality for LGBT individuals given his statements in the past regarding Warner and Kaine's executive orders that banned sexuality-discrimination Re: State Government employment).

The colleges may just tell him to fuck the hell off.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Over on my side of the Atlantic, the ECHR has ruled that Poland must recognise gay rights. Although what exactly that's going to lead to isn't really all that clear.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I remember seeing a headline a few weeks ago that the Gov had "quietly" rescinded the anti-discrimination protections from LGBT groups in Virginia.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

This son of a bitch just brought me down from my vatican prostitution ring high. Dammit.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I've been dealing with shit like this since he came to office. For example, McConnel didn't issue the traditional Executive order protecting sexuality.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been dealing with shit like this since he came to office. For example, McConnel didn't issue the traditional Executive order protecting sexuality.

Unsurprising, given that he was one of it's outspoken opponents during his tenure as AG, saying the governor didn't have the power to issue it via executive order.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgjcgqFYP4

it's a vague and frankly disgusting fear that the right often brings up. 'won't someone think of the children' without going any further, pretty much implying that gays either molest children or turn them homosexual.

i can't see how gay marriage is related to children in a way that's not positive

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a shame.

You have to kind of admire people who have a prejudice against gay people, usually because of their background and environment - but in spite of that they are willing to reach over to the other side and grant gay people full rights. But then the children thing that makes them hesitate and pull back again. Tragic.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What are the chances of Sesame Street hosting a same-sex couple within the next ten years? I think they have two married couples on there now. wikipedia sez they covered divorce, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What are the chances of Sesame Street hosting a same-sex couple within the next ten years?

You mean Bert and Ernie?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    What are the chances of Sesame Street hosting a same-sex couple within the next ten years?

You mean Bert and Ernie?

I think Ernie's too emotionally invested in his rubber duckie to notice Bert.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    moniker wrote: »

You mean Bert and Ernie?

I think Ernie's too emotionally invested in his rubber duckie to notice Bert.

A loveless marriage is the most traditional form of marriage.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I remember there being an episode of Arthur or that offshoot of Arthur where someone visited a character with lesbian parents.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lesbian furries don't count!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember there being an episode of Arthur or that offshoot of Arthur where someone visited a character with lesbian parents.

I think I remember that too. Had something to do with Buster's family tree. I was stunned in a good way when I saw it but it's been a while.

DW always struck me as being potentially lesbian too for some reason.

Also, Virginia's Gov can eat a D if he thinks he's going to get free thinking liberal university boards to support his forceful take on gays in admissions and hirings. He can't force them outside the courts, all he's doing is looking like an ass.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What are the chances of Sesame Street hosting a same-sex couple within the next ten years? I think they have two married couples on there now. wikipedia sez they covered divorce, too.

Oh man. Remember when Sesame Street decided to introduce a gay character with AIDS? And the religious right got all offended, until someone pointed out that the character was a 5 year-old girl who'd been born with it, and was only featured in the South African version of Sesame Street?

Yeah, that was great.

Edit: Okay, I worded this confusingly. The character isn't gay; it was just assumed by American bigots that the character must be gay because she (or, I bet you fifty quid, "he" in their assumption) had HIV.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I remember the stink over the AIDS muppet, didn't know it was supposed to be gay as well though.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember the stink over the AIDS muppet, didn't know it was supposed to be gay as well though.
    It wasn't, as far as I know. It was announced "Muppet with AIDS" and homophobes flipped shit and everyone that was involved was like "Uh...actually, five year old girl?"

Sort of an "AIDS is not a gay disease" sort of thing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How do you know if you're gay at 5 years old? I'm pretty sure at that age, I was still pretty impressed with hotdogs in my macaroni and cheese.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It wasn't supposed to be gay! The muppet was introduced as a girl who'd been born HIV positive, as a way of teaching kids that anyone can get AIDS and sufferers are not to be hated or feared.

The bible thumpers got as far as "muppet with AIDS" and drew their own conclusions. Pretty ironic.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On a related note, the onion article based on all this remains my favorite.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

I think I remember that too. Had something to do with Buster's family tree. I was stunned in a good way when I saw it but it's been a while.

DW always struck me as being potentially lesbian too for some reason.

Also, Virginia's Gov can eat a D if he thinks he's going to get free thinking liberal university boards to support his forceful take on gays in admissions and hirings. He can't force them outside the courts, all he's doing is looking like an ass.

I'd love for one of them to get back to him with a response that read "Alright, we will no longer keep from discriminating against homosexuals because its the law. We will just keep from discriminating against homosexuals because we are not ignorant bigots. Thank you."

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaker wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I really can't understand how one can condemn a lifestyle while secretly living said lifestyle.

I think it is pretty common to loathe in others what you dislike in yourself.

My thoughts exactly for many of the issues raised in this thread.

I'm more inclined to believe in the power of political expediency.

Guy's a Republican running for office. If he's gay, can he come out and say it? No, he'll never get elected.

It's a choice between being honest or being rich and powerful.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really can't understand how one can condemn a lifestyle while secretly living said lifestyle.

Guy's a Republican running for office. If he's gay, can he come out and say it? No, he'll never get elected.

you can certainly be a republican without making it your life's work to bring misery upon gays though.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    IaculusIaculus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

you can certainly be a republican without making it your life's work to bring misery upon gays though.

How's about a successful Republican?

Iaculus on
This discussion has been closed.